" We have recorded a thousand different popular names "

• 109 results
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I wonder if they'll do multiple nicknames for really common names like "Joseph" (my name). Not sure whether I would choose Joseph or Joe. If it's relegated to one stupid moment in the game and not for the whole game, then I couldn't give less of a shit about this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@rongalaxy: Seph, works for Joseph and Sephiroth, the perfect name.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping for Ian! But i'll be a bit bummed because I usually name my fallout characters after camera names. Like Elan Minolta or Nikkon Pentax

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By Jojojimmeny

I kind of hope they actually just use Vocaloid, or one of the crappy text-to-speech things from 10 years ago, and awkwardly insert that into every line where someone references you - that would be the best. I mean they still all kind of look/move like robots anyway! :P

As for names that have multiple spellings but are pronounced the same, I'm sure it will be quite easy (though time-consuming) for them to add all of those to the database and link them to the same voice samples, or just show a list of the available names that are close to what you typed in and let you pick the pronunciation you want. I'm really curious to see how this all works, mostly if you aren't using a name they accounted for, but yeah I seriously doubt I'm going to name my Fallout 4 character after myself even if my name is one of the ones they recorded so I'm sure I can find something in the list that I'm happy with.

Also, I don't think it would be too surprising if the recorded names are actually used by a lot of people in the wasteland, considering these games tend to only have a handful of actors doing the voices for the general population. That's not a criticism, I totally understand why they do that, but it does mean it wouldn't be too difficult to implement in a bigger way - unless they're going for more variety this time. I do expect that it won't be wide-spread, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#106  Edited By Hunter5024

I feel like people are underestimating the popularity of most names. Probably over 90% of the people you've ever met have a name that's in the top 1000.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The chances of my name appearing there are about a billion to one, so nothing has really changed for me.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@soimadeanaccount said:

I believe the most common name in the world is Mohammed. They got to have that right?

Yes, but only if you spell it as Muhammad, like the boxer. The AMERICAN BOXER.

My name is Mohammad. Eff "U" and "E" Mohammed/Muhammads.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet NPCs don't use your name and Companions do. I would wager that they probably just yell it out at random times like "Brandon! Over here!" Or "Brandon! Wait up!"

I feel like that would be the easiest implementation.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daiphyer said:
@doctorchimp said:
@soimadeanaccount said:

I believe the most common name in the world is Mohammed. They got to have that right?

Yes, but only if you spell it as Muhammad, like the boxer. The AMERICAN BOXER.

My name is Mohammad. Eff "U" and "E" Mohammed/Muhammads.

So your birth name is Cashis Cleuy?

calbags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dadjumper: as a Callan there is a 100% chance Callum will be as close as I get

tendafoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on what I read in an interview from someone who attended quakecon, the name list is quite varied. The guy was as excited as could be because he could have fuckface as his name. I'm assuming that they didn't record every line with the different names as well. Seeing as most people don't use your name in the middle of a sentence it would make sense that it pulls it from the list the goes on with the conversation.