" We have recorded a thousand different popular names "

• 109 results
Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What about Stephen though? Steven/Steve will be there but idk about this one...

TerminatorZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

That's cool and all but who gives their characters 'normal' names in a fantasy game?

You wouldn't like people in the Fallout world looking you in the face during intense story conversations to say "Alex" as they speak to you?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@alexw00d said:

That's cool and all but who gives their characters 'normal' names in a fantasy game?

You wouldn't like people in the Fallout world looking you in the face during intense story conversations to say "Alex" as they speak to you?

Haha that sounds terrifying.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It would be really funny if they put "Bort" in there as a gag.

TerminatorZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
@terminatorz said:
@alexw00d said:

Haha that sounds terrifying.

Exactly! Welcome to the nuclear wasteland.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hope they have DankBudz420 in there. I wonder if other versions of the game will have them adjust it so that they localize them to the release territory.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rick is pretty common, right? I think I'm good.

NightRevolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you think Walker will be there? is usually a second name so i don't really know, what you guys think?

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I never had any desire to name a game character after myself, but it's cool they did this for people who actually do care about this kind of stuff.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is "HoopGawd" one of these popular names?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@teddie:What the hell kind of name is "Coady?"

@haruko: What the hell kind of name is "Stevedave!?"

@jaypb08: What the hell kind of name is "Jeremy?" Oh, wait.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Stephen though? Steven/Steve will be there but idk about this one...

Stephen is pretty fucking common, dude. Easily top thousand.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That is pretty pointless...

We know they won't have like 70% of the worldwide names (my name is Gustavo, I bet you they don't have that one in there), no matter how many thousands of dollars they spend in redundant voice acting.

They should just give up and use any of the tricks of the industry for these kind of situations...

HotelDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By HotelDon

Looks like my vault dweller Chawktain Portsisk is still shit out of luck.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Crembaw

@hermes said:

That is pretty pointless...

We know they won't have like 70% of the worldwide names (my name is Gustavo, I bet you they don't have that one in there), no matter how many thousands of dollars they spend in redundant voice acting.

They should just give up and use any of the tricks of the industry for these kind of situations...

They will have Gus, probably.

...There's also the added factor of, 'why would I name a character after myself at all?' I really don't feel a want, need or desire to forcibly plant my whole entire ass into Fallout, considering my intense self-loathing and terrible genetics. But I guess some people do, so for the portion of the population that falls within those 1000 most popular names as well as the parameter, 'wants to name character after self', huzzah?

Pennywise Tencent will forever go unnamed and unknown in Boston's more lurid, decrepit quarters.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MLB the show had both my first AND last name in there (and my last name is only popular in baseball really) and said my full name so its not that outlandish.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The only way they could do it and have it sound natural is if every single line of dialogue was recorded in full for each name. If they just record is separately (Hello there, STEVEN, it's nice to see you are still well, STEVEN, would you like to join me for dinner, STEVEN?). However, that is absolutely insane, so there is no way that is the case, so it is most likely just the butler.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way they could do it and have it sound natural is if every single line of dialogue was recorded in full for each name. If they just record is separately (Hello there, STEVEN, it's nice to see you are still well, STEVEN, would you like to join me for dinner, STEVEN?). However, that is absolutely insane, so there is no way that is the case, so it is most likely just the butler.

Yeah, if they record it that way it'll still sound totally normal coming from a robot though, so it's probably only the butler.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By rbanke

I immediately thought of Stronghold (2?) which did this years ago. My brother in law opened the game and we heard "Greetings Lord Doug". Took us by surprise. It'll be like that. If you hear it, it may be a weird 'what ' moment but that'll be it. Kinda cool but I can't imagine them recording all these names for all the different people, maybe a few but also probably not going to be missing much if they don't get your name.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MezZa

@sunbrozak: Maybe not Zak, but Zach/Zack will almost certainly be there. Speaking as someone who can make a claim to the name, the name has been so common around my age group that most people just get in the habit of calling me by my last name for simplicity's sake around multiple Zach's. Maybe it's different enough now though to not crack 1000, who knows.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably gonna play a lady. Think they'll Ginevra? Probably not. I'll just have to go with boring old 'Patrick' then.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: at the press conference when they zoomed out to 3rd person the guy in the post-apocalypse was the same as the guy they created.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The likelihood they have my name (Silver) is very slim. Like, I almost never see it as an option in games that let you only select prefab names, much less one with voiced names. :(

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Canteu

It matters not what they call me, for I will be smashing their heads in with good old Wesley "lead" Pipes regardless.

I'm more worried about the voice. My guy's actions will directly reflect against the way he talks if you only get the one voice from the footage they showed. Murderous, war mongering killing machine does not talk like a polite suburban white American dude, at least not my version of that. Hopefully there will be an "incoherent screaming" voice option.

I'd be pretty happy if they called me Mr. Pipes however.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimmy, pick up that Chinese Assault Rifle.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@counterclockwork87 said:

MLB the show had both my first AND last name in there (and my last name is only popular in baseball really) and said my full name so its not that outlandish.

Yeah, they had a crazy amount of names. I hope Fallout has nickname options too.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Common names only? I hope they include at least a few Easter Egg names then. After seeing Mad Max, I'd really like to go through the game being called the Doof Warrior.

Jimmy, pick up that Chinese Assault Rifle.

"Jimmy, shoot the radscorpion. No Jimmy! Jimmy, stop! Jimmy, shoot the radscorpion! Jimmy, no!"

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be limited to a few situations but i guarantee most of the game you won't be referred to by name. It'll be like the nba 2k games i bet

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"In our post-apocalypse game we opted for classic 2015 names rather than making 1000 names up for the Fallout timeline which is centuries ahead of the present."

Poor effort. I want my wastelander to be called Shittercup or Fax Broadband.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Jimbo

Better if they'd done it for the dog and audio stitched it in really badly every time you tell it to fetch something.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing made me realize that maybe I'm the weird one for not using my own name.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@hatking: I was thinking the same.

I nearly always end up naming my characters Mervyn, Brenda, Derek or Joan. If they're all in Fallout 4 I'll be impressed.

All much more romantic names than Dave...

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By KirkyX

I reckon it'll be the butler, and potentially your husband/wife/child should you run into them over the course of the story - they could just be dead, of course, but I doubt it somehow - who will refer to you by one of the recorded names, while everyone else will just use a generic title, like 'Vault Dweller', 'Courier', 'Lone Wanderer', 'Chosen One' and so on. I'm thinking 'Sole Survivor', based on the press conference.

I always play a lady, anyway, and as I don't know any ladies who go by, 'Josh', I won't have to pick my own name.

werewolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By werewolves

Man I feel like I misunderstood that footage they showed because I swear he was referring to the baby's name? So I was under the assumption that the baby would just have a randomly picked name cuz I swore they said the baby's names in that footage. But I might have misheard or maybe I'm just misunderstanding

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Oops my Arabic name lol

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dirt 2 had this like a zillion years ago.

Thankfully, my name is Donut so it worked out great.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Vonocourt

Wonder if the names are gender-specific. Probably gonna pick a female character, but wouldn't be opposed to picking Sean as her name. That or Wendy will live on.

etpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By etpc

Really hope the names aren't all western-focused and they really do have a good cross-section of the most popular names in the world. I'd be mighty impressed if they do.

Zlatko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad I won't be hearing my RL name lol. I wish they'd run a "request your name" kind of campaign so I can get mine on the list.

Zlatko. It's common where I was born in Bosnia, but here in the USA...yeah I'm from Mars with that name lol.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine only a certain few characters, characters important to the main story, some faction people if that comes into play, and maybe the odd person here and there will actually use your name. I bet the people you only introduce yourself to by your own name will call you that, everyone else will probably just give you an honorific of some sort.

Still, even if it's only a few people, having people calling me by my real name if it makes the cut will be a trip. I don't see a ton of Matt's or Matthews in games that take central roles or are the main character.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I don't use my own name in RPGs, but rather create a unique character who isn't necessarily representative of my real-world persona, so I'll probably end up browsing the list and seeing if one jumps out at me. I wonder if they'll have a few that are more "nicknames" as well as some generic ones such as "vault dweller" and "wanderer".

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is that it's only going to be the robot butler that calls you by whichever recorded name you choose and that he'll be at your main house throughout the entire game, so you'll hear him use it plenty of times. Maybe he'll act as some kind of hub for your main home base, like buying upgrades or whatever.

It has to be a character that you're going to run into relatively frequently otherwise it might not be worth the effort. I would be seriously impressed if more characters than robo-butler had those thousand names recorded.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope its either just the butler, or the butler and maybe 2 or 3 other characters.

it would be super unrealistic if i just mosey up to a random NPC in the wasteland and they were all "hey there Doug, whats up?"

in real life 99% of the world doesnt know your name. l hope the game is like real Boston and everyone you meet out in public just calls you dude, bro, lady, hey, or asshole.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Julian or Jules, I bet it's not in there :(

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure Alex will be in there, but I never play these types of games as myself. I have a specific character in my head no matter what RPG I play, and I'm sure Basil won't be one of the recorded names.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I met a guy named Jevin once, poor bastard.