What's the best Final Fantasy game?

• 135 results
CottoneUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll What's the best Final Fantasy game? (354 votes)

I 3%
II 1%
III 2%
IV (II in the US) 9%
V 3%
VI (III in the US) 33%
VII 15%
VIII 11%
IX 20%
X 16%
X-2 2%
XI 1%
XII 8%
XIII 5%
XIII-2 2%
XIV 2%
Tactics 14%
Dissidia 2%
I don't like any of 'em 5%

With Patrick's post on Final Fantasy VIII and the large, ever present flamewar debate on which of Square's long running series is the best, I didn't see any active polls on this never ending question.

So, which one's the best? I think it's 6.

• 
Avatar image for mycroft_ampersand
Mycroft_Ampersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@funkys said:

I recently started playing VI as it always wins these polls and (apart from I and II) it's the only Final Fantasy I hadn't completed. Now maybe it just hasn't aged well and, admittedly, I haven't finished it yet but I'm really not enjoying it. I'd like to hear some reasons people on these forum like the game so much and if they've played it recently, maybe then I can see if I'm just approaching the game wrong.

I feel like there's too many characters and I forget who they are or what they've done or what has happened to them. I'd rather there were less characters to choose from and that they could be a bit more fleshed out. The game also does something I generally dislike in RPGs which is splitting up the party: something FFVI does a lot! Often without giving you much information as to what each party will have to do and leaving you guessing whether the people left behind will need to do anything or not.

The difficulty of battle defiantly feels like it spikes randomly, especially at bosses (I know bosses should be hard but sometimes it's surprising how much stronger than me they are) and the floating island in the sky that I am currently on is full of normal enemies that can kill me quite easily. Perhaps I should be grinding more, but I don't want to and in other Final Fantasy games I don't need to.

I do like the look and music of the game as well as the individual moves for your party members (Blitz combos are awesome!) but when it comes down to SNES era JRPGs I think Chrono Trigger is still my favourite.

I played VI again in the last year (maybe 18 months or so), so hopefully that is recently enough to count. The first thing that you have to keep in mind is that the game was made in a completely different era of gaming (a lot of people say they realize this, but they really don't). Some of the characters get fleshed out quite a bit and others very little or not at all. How much this matters to you will probably depend on which characters you enjoy using.

Once you finish the floating continent your party will split entirely and you will be left with one character to gather everyone else again (you don't have to gather everyone only some of them are mandatory until you reach a point where you can go straight to the end of the game). After that, I can't think of anywhere else that you will have to split the party except for the final dungeon - in which you split into three parties and switch between them through the dungeon.

The floating continent has enemies that are more difficult than the ones that you would have been fighting regularly as random enemies at this point in the game, so yes, you can die fairly easily if you are not careful. Oh, and if you like Shadow, choose to wait for him several (three I think) times at the end of the island.

As for grinding, VI is a jrpg so there is potentially quite a bit of it depending on how much of challenge you like and how much time you are willing to put into getting everything. The game is more difficult than newer entries simply because games were designed with a harder difficulty at the time. IV was considered so difficult by Square that they released a much easier version in North America.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By Juzie

I voted VI, VII and IX since you gave multiple options. VI has the best story, characters and music, VII is probably the most revolutionary and a very strong balance of good gameplay and story, IX felt like the most complete FF from a gameplay point of view, the difficulty was perfect and the combat was pretty much the best of previous FFs mashed into one, on top of that story was still one of the best as well.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VII is the only FF game I played through to the end. That says a lot I think.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Happy to see that this poll got to a point where 6 was beating 9. It's shameful that 10 is beating 7 though.

Suikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My answer to this is always complicated. XD I have fond memories of each game. I have played them all and almost every side game. I think it was VI that really blew my mind, specially back in those days. Kef is my favorite villain and VI has so many unforgettable moments. FF7 holds a special place in my heart for how great it was. It also came out during one of the most difficult times of my life. FF7 might have saved my life in a way....pathetic as that is. I love VIII and X to death as well. There really is not a FF game I don't love. However if I had to pick a best one for fun. I would have to say IX. It was to me everything great about the past games and the turning point where they would never be the same again. Not that its a bad thing. Too much of the same is not good. FFIX to me did almost everything right. It was exactly what I wanted. ^^

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VII.

FunkyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played VI again in the last year (maybe 18 months or so), so hopefully that is recently enough to count. The first thing that you have to keep in mind is that the game was made in a completely different era of gaming (a lot of people say they realize this, but they really don't). Some of the characters get fleshed out quite a bit and others very little or not at all. How much this matters to you will probably depend on which characters you enjoy using.

Yeah, I just can't seem to get behind Terra or Locke at all so I'm left with Edgar and Sabin for on going character development enjoyment. Terra really gets on my nerves as a lot of her traits are annoying to me: indecisiveness, running away, amnesia. I'm sure by the end of the game she believes in herself, mopes less and through friendship, teamwork and pure grit helps save the day against Kefka. Maybe by then I'll come around to her.

Once you finish the floating continent your party will split entirely and you will be left with one character to gather everyone else again (you don't have to gather everyone only some of them are mandatory until you reach a point where you can go straight to the end of the game). After that, I can't think of anywhere else that you will have to split the party except for the final dungeon - in which you split into three parties and switch between them through the dungeon.

This sounds like poison to me, but that's purely a weird personal gripe I have with these kinds of games.

Other than that I feel you've helped me put the game into perspective a bit and I think I'll keep going even if it turns out just to be for completion value, cheers duder.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Xeiphyer

My favourite numbered Final Fantasy is V, first time experiencing that job system as a kid was life changing.

Tactics is my actual favourite game though.

Avatar image for mycroft_ampersand
Mycroft_Ampersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funkys: No problem, it was one of the first rpg games that I ever played that I really enjoyed so I always like when others do too. Feel free to ignore the second paragraph if you don't want to have sort-of spoilers.

If Terra and Locke really bother you, they are both optional characters in the second half of the game (as soon as you finish the floating continent). You actually start with Celes. When you collect everyone again - or only the ones you want - they do have character specific missions (Terra does get better in hers and if you don't want to, you can just not get her back in the party).

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Superkenon

@funkys:

I played FFVI earlier this year, and simultaneously introduced it to my kid sisters for the first time (who are as-old or younger than the game itself). They thought it was outstanding, and I reaffirmed my own enjoyment of it. The experience proved to me that it holds up well, anyway.

Honestly, the way the game cycles you through its huge cast is my favorite part. If you have a huge aversion to that kind of thing, I guess I can see why you don't like it. But for my part, it helps hold my interest. To date it's the FF I've replayed most. The game is constantly throwing you from setpiece to setpiece, and shuffling up the crew so you have something new to do. It never keeps you in one state long enough for things to get dull. The variety of characters means I always end up with a drastically-different end game, too.

I appreciate how it doesn't focus on one character too strongly. I don't much care for Terra either, but that's okay since she's not exactly in your face the whole game. Despite the attention she gets early on, the story doesn't ultimately revolve around her arc -- in fact, she doesn't even need to be present for the final battle. Which is great to me, because there's nothing I dislike more than having a character stuck in your party. (I always wished I could remove Cloud from the active roster)

If you're on the floating continent, though, I'd say you've still yet to see some of the best parts. The story makes a pretty cool shift, and there's a bunch of individual little character arcs lying ahead. If you're really hating it already though, maybe it's not worth it for you. I'm a little puzzled that you're having issues with the difficulty, since you say you've beaten every other FF. Of all the SNES games, VI is far-and-away the easiest -- requires the least grinding, anyway (ie, none. That's one of the parts that makes it so imminently replayable for me).

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@funkys:

I played FFVI earlier this year, and simultaneously introduced it to my kid sisters for the first time (who are as-old or younger than the game itself). They thought it was outstanding, and I reaffirmed my own enjoyment of it. The experience proved to me that it holds up well, anyway.

Honestly, the way the game cycles you through its huge cast is my favorite part. If you have a huge aversion to that kind of thing, I guess I can see why you don't like it. But for my part, it helps hold my interest. To date it's the FF I've replayed most. The game is constantly throwing you from setpiece to setpiece, and shuffling up the crew so you have something new to do. It never keeps you in one state long enough for things to get dull. The variety of characters means I always end up with a drastically-different end game, too.

I appreciate how it doesn't focus on one character too strongly. I don't much care for Terra either, but that's okay since she's not exactly in your face the whole game. Despite the attention she gets early on, the story doesn't ultimately revolve around her arc -- in fact, she doesn't even need to be present for the final battle. Which is great to me, because there's nothing I dislike more than having a character stuck in your party. (I always wished I could remove Cloud from the active roster)

If you're on the floating continent, though, I'd say you've still yet to see some of the best parts. The story makes a pretty cool shift, and there's a bunch of individual little character arcs lying ahead. If you're really hating it already though, maybe it's not worth it for you. I'm a little puzzled that you're having issues with the difficulty, since you say you've beaten every other FF. Of all the SNES games, VI is far-and-away the easiest -- requires the least grinding, anyway (ie, none. That's one of the parts that makes it so imminently replayable for me).

^ This

Gosling loves 16-bit opera.
Gosling loves 16-bit opera.

Hopefully this poll can forever settle which is the best Final Fantasy. Through Science, we have determined that it is FF6.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

WHERE IS TACTICS ADVANCE

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

GODDAMMIT NOW I'M GONNA PLAY FINAL FANTASY 6 AGAIN

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I enjoyed FFVI quite a bit, but saying it requires very little grinding is a bit curious, to me. I actually did grind of my own choice, since I just enjoy doing that from time to time, and yet by the end of the game as soon as I set foot in the final area(s) I got completely mauled. The last few sections of that game are by far the worst part. I never cared much for Kefka as a villain, either, (though I understand why he appeals to some folks, I guess) so that didn't help matters.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#115  Edited By Hailinel

If you're on the floating continent, though, I'd say you've still yet to see some of the best parts.

This is very true, but the reason I am quoting you is that this brings to mind the floating continent, and the floating continent music is some of my favorite music in any video game ever:

Loading Video...

Though, truth be told, I could say this about most any son on the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack. Uematsu was in peak form for this game. No other game soundtrack comes close. Not when they have to compete with the opera and Dancing Mad:

Loading Video...

Now this is a final boss theme.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FunkyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@funkys: No problem, it was one of the first rpg games that I ever played that I really enjoyed so I always like when others do too. Feel free to ignore the second paragraph if you don't want to have sort-of spoilers.

If Terra and Locke really bother you, they are both optional characters in the second half of the game (as soon as you finish the floating continent). You actually start with Celes. When you collect everyone again - or only the ones you want - they do have character specific missions (Terra does get better in hers and if you don't want to, you can just not get her back in the party).

That's good to know, I Iike her ability to absorb and shoot back magic as well as some of her story arc being enjoyable.

@funkys:

Despite the attention she gets early on, the story doesn't ultimately revolve around her arc -- in fact, she doesn't even need to be present for the final battle. Which is great to me, because there's nothing I dislike more than having a character stuck in your party. (I always wished I could remove Cloud from the active roster).

Sounds good to me, although I liked having Cloud throughout in FFVII myself. The sections as Cid and Tifa always bothered me in a sort of "I've been building up this guy all through the game and now he's gone!?" kind of way.

If you're really hating it already though, maybe it's not worth it for you. I'm a little puzzled that you're having issues with the difficulty, since you say you've beaten every other FF. Of all the SNES games, VI is far-and-away the easiest -- requires the least grinding, anyway (ie, none. That's one of the parts that makes it so imminently replayable for me).

I'm certainly not hating it, just not enjoying enough to warrant thinking about stopping. I've been trying not grind at all and I feel the battles are fairly challenging, with the floating island really kicking my arse due to the intensity of the random battles and having to search around to progress the area.

I played the SNES games over 10 years ago so maybe I'm just remembering them as easier or less grindy than they actually were. The only SNES era FF I've played in recent times other than VI is V and I was really liking it. Despite it's incredibly simple story I put up with it because I like the job system so much and that battle music is so catchy!

To be honest I feel pretty good about going back to VI knowing that the best stuff is still to come and there's less focus on Terra.

For the record my favourite FF is VII but maybe in a month when I've finished this game and this thread comes back VI will have won me over.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By Fistoh

VI, because it just is.

I would say that Tactics and IX are close seconds though.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

. I never cared much for Kefka as a villain, either, (though I understand why he appeals to some folks, I guess) so that didn't help matters.

Yeah I never really liked Kefka either. Though I do find it funny that the murderous clown is one of the least ridiculously designed villains in the from VI on.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am once again amazing by the GB community. What is the best FF topic without meltdown/freak out/lies and slander? What is this real life?

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Superkenon

@funkys: I rather liked the parts where Cid or Tifa took command. Guess that's just my thing, haha.

Well, the floating continent is definitely one of the harder areas. I didn't mean to imply FFVI couldn't be tricky, but I think in general it stays pretty fair compared to the likes of FFV (which I also adore for the job system). I can stroll through VI pretty confidently, but I feel like I'm always just barely scraping through V (and don't get me started on that last boss!). Of course, both require you to be in that methodical JRPG mindset.

Anyway, good luck! Glad you'll be keeping on. For how different each of the Final Fantasies are, I think there's something to love in each of 'em, so here's to hoping you'll find something to latch onto in VI.

@marokai said:

I enjoyed FFVI quite a bit, but saying it requires very little grinding is a bit curious, to me. I actually did grind of my own choice, since I just enjoy doing that from time to time, and yet by the end of the game as soon as I set foot in the final area(s) I got completely mauled. The last few sections of that game are by far the worst part. I never cared much for Kefka as a villain, either, (though I understand why he appeals to some folks, I guess) so that didn't help matters.

As long as you're not running from battles, I feel like you level up sufficiently just from the enemies you'll encounter just advancing through the story -- especially if you stay on top of your Espers. Of course, the last area would be rough if you jumped into it as soon as it becomes available, but if you pursue the "character recruitment" sidequests, you'll always be in great shape (if not overleveled).

As Kefka goes, I can certainly understand why people don't like him. I think he's great, though. I appreciate his simplicity for one thing, as weird as that sounds. He doesn't have a tragic backstory, or some angsty drive behind his schemes -- he's just a plain sociopath. Just evil for being evil, and loves it the whole time. Not some malevolent deity given form, or the manifestation of negative thoughts. Just a goddamn human who has fun doing terrible things -- completely without any redeeming qualities or justification. It's hard to argue why that's compelling, I suppose, especially as I usually prefer "gray" villains. But I seem to enjoy Kefka regardless.

And perhaps this point helps: he actually destroys the world. You don't fight him to prevent the apocalypse -- it's far too late for that. He's one of few villains who actually proves how dangerous he can be, by... actually succeeding. Perhaps Kefka himself isn't all-that, but his impact on the story, the world, and the situation he creates is among the best in the series, I say.

Blah blah blah, ramble ramble. There's my take.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@superkenon: Sure, like I said, I at least get the appeal of Kefka even if I had my fill of him at a certain point. I can respect people who like him, for those reasons. (And when Kefka actually did manage to destroy the world, it was ballsy. It actually reminds me of what I liked most about the ending of FFXIII-2, where all your efforts are basically worthless and the worst-case-scenario comes to pass anyway, but you still have to fight on, because, what other choice do you have?)

As for the grinding though, I promise you that I was very much on top of my Espers and never ran from battles. I was grinding for hours at random points through the game just for my own enjoyment while listening to podcasts and such, and spent even more hours on getting Esper abilities, but when I went into the final area(s) of the game I still got completely wrecked. No other part of the game was anywhere near as challenging, the difficulty just spiked into space, at that point.

It was incredibly frustrating, because I had spent time doing sideactivities, grinding most of who I wanted to grind with, until I was finally satisfied ending my time with the game, and then FFVI was all "lol, nope, go grind for a little bit more first." I had really really enjoyed the game up to that point. As great as that game is, it still is from a certain mindset of the era and you can certainly tell.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

9. Speaking of which I need to go back and play it during Christmas break.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Superkenon

@marokai: Your experience is so different from mine, I don't really know what to say. I have an aversion to grinding, so I tend to fight the minimum of battles that I can. Still, I never hit a point in VI where the answer was "need more levels!". Worst case, a boss smashes me and I have to rethink my tactics or equipment.

Results do vary, of course. It's funny we came away with such different impressions, though. I've always felt like this was the first game where they DID AWAY with unnecessary leveling, heh.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@marokai: Your experience is so different from mine, I don't really know what to say. I have an aversion to grinding, so I tend to fight the minimum of battles that I can.

Doesn't that only aggravate the problem? Generally, I fight most of the fights that come my way. That way, I don't need to grind for the boss.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VII was just such an eye opener for me and actually got me 'into' playing games. I won't argue that it's the best objectively but I just can't overstate what a watershed moment it was in my gaming experience.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: That's essentially what I meant. I'll not run from a fight, but I won't look for them either.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to the steam sales I am playing FFVIII again and it is really fantastic to see that I still love this games despite no voice acting or rather poor presentation. I am currently 13 hours in and I loved every minute because of tthese great characters and the world they live in. Since I do not care about the battles I am just using the cheap and totally OP booster packs but I really don't care since I am having so much fun following the story again I have played and loved such a long long time ago.

I normally do not try to replay these asslong games and if I do I stop after a few hours . I even gave FF7 and FF9 a chance a while ago but man this game is jsut too good to stop now. I am very curious if FFX in HD also holds up so well in terms of me liking it but if not. It is pretty clear to me that FFVIII is the best FF game I have ever played^^

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By xyzygy

I'll be that guy.

Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy game.

YES.

But of this list, I picked XIII. It was either that or VIII. But XIII had the better combat, best combat in the series IMO, so it wins.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished replaying IX today and huh, most of the cast really takes a back seat role after shit starts going down halfway through disc 3. It was really jarring and disappointing after the character development & fleshing out done via Active Time Events and the earlier segments of the party being separated all over the continent.

And as with many Final Fantasies (Lost Odyssey included) it gets dumber the closer to the end you get.

Still, the stretch between Dali and Madain Sari has so much going for it I can't help but love it.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

LOL at POLL WITHOUT CRISIS CORE

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy VII is the best Final Fantasy game. Followed closely by X. Mystic Quest is pretty good too.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the first one. I played it as part of the GBA collection and found it really fun. The later games have diminishing returns with me. I just can't seem to get into them like I did with that first one.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7 for me. The runner up is the one where you go to the moon. Forgot which number that is.