BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

I didn't see one and the embargo is up so lets talk about them

doing better than I thought but its sometimes hard to tell with early reviews. Seems like a the big connecting points is that the characters arent great but the world building and battle system help bring it togther.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just red the review from Eurogamer. Seems the story is bad, really bad...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

Hurray, it's good. And my copy just arrived.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bakumatsu: It's really not, honestly. It's just scattered through the anime, movie, and game. That Eurogamer review is awful. The reviewer doesn't really come to a conclusion on how he feels about the game. I've been playing for the last 15 hours. It's a fantastic game. Has its flaws but the good is so good that the bad is easily overlooked. Can't wait to go home and play more.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By afabs515

The reviews so far seem real positive. I'm relieved. I'd lost faith after seeing some of those trailers/demos.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After spending 15 hours with the game I couldn't be more into it. It has a few problems but like the above poster said, what's good is so good that it's flaws are easily overlooked.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't have sky-high expectations for this game, and I wasn't at all attached to the idea of Versus 13 either, so the overall reviews are looking great to me. That so many are praising the combat system and side/post-game content has me very anxious to play this. I've also read a lot of great impressions about "the bros" which was a big worry for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac
deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im glad to hear that the overall game is alright. Im bummed that so much of its story almost requires you to watch an anime and a movie to get everything out of it.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

IGN's review says the characters are the "beating heart" of the game. Peter Browns review says the characters and story are the weakest part of the experience. WTF

Waiting for a sale no matter what anyways.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN's review says the characters are the "beating heart" of the game. Peter Browns review says the characters and story are the weakest part of the experience. WTF

Waiting for a sale no matter what anyways.

Maybe it just depends on how much you like anime.

Really glad to see this turned out to be good. I have been looking forward to it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By paulmako

MetaCritic 86 average

I'll just remind everyone here that DOOM, an incredible game and easily one of the best of 2016, ended up with a MetaCritic average of 85. That numbered score is not the be all and end all.

From the reviews I've read so far, it seems like this is a very good game.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

I am really excited for this game as long as it's better than XII and XIII in the character department. I'm all over it.

Part of me is a little sad that they've moved away from traditional JRPGs i know it's a dying genre. I would love to see them go back to the well though for a turn based/ ATB RPG for a Final Fantasy XVI/XVII on consoles. I know I can scratch that itch with Bravely Default/Second and Dragon Quest.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BradBrains

@paulmako said:
@bradbrains said:

MetaCritic 86 average

I'll just remind everyone here that DOOM, an incredible game and easily one of the best of 2016, ended up with a MetaCritic average of 85. That numbered score is not the be all and end all.

From the reviews I've read so far, it seems like this is a very good game.

I think like any review, especially aggregates you have to use it as a guide.

these kinda games arent going to be for everyone anyway. Only more wide games get past 85. JRPGS are espically judged pretty harshly at times. So the fact its not 50 or under is kinda where I say its a success.

Im more of a read the review than look at a number kinda guy but metacritic is good at putting all the reviews in one place.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: I never played XII but based on the 30 or so hours I played of XIII I think XV is undoubtedly the better game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zeik

At this point I had almost completely written the game off as something I had legitimate interest in (I'm sure I'd play it someday, out of obligation as an RPG fan at the least), but after reading Jason Schreier's review over on Kotaku I'm starting to reconsider. I was never the biggest fan of Final Fantasy (apart from IX, and kinda XIV), but reading that review did conjure up some latent feelings I had for the series.

I still don't think I'll be playing it day 1, since I have other priorities, but it might rank higher on my to-do list now.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@bradbrains agreed. pretty much anything that gets a "score" above 80 is really solid at what it sets out to accomplish. There are a lot of games that I find fantastic/ great that don't crack the 90 mark. but then games that do go over that score, I don't like nearly as much as some of the lower "scored" games. JRPGs are a pretty niche gametype now I feel. They are hard to do well.

DOOM is a good example. I don't think i've had as much fun with a shooter in about 6 years. Titanfall 2 was great as well, but DOOM was a better experience to me. Titanfall 2 has a metascore of 89 .

bricwall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: i still find it crazy that scores of 75- 85 are considered in anyway bad. Its like the game is perfect or garbage these days lol.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew I was gonna end up buying this anyway, but now that it sounds like it's actually good I'm super happy. I want to play another good mainline FF game.

Part of me is a little sad that they've moved away from traditional JRPGs i know it's a dying genre. I would love to see them go back to the well though for a turn based/ ATB RPG for a Final Fantasy XVI/XVII on consoles.

World of Final Fantasy is definitely something you should check out.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@deusx said:

@bakumatsu: It's really not, honestly. It's just scattered through the anime, movie, and game. That Eurogamer review is awful. The reviewer doesn't really come to a conclusion on how he feels about the game. I've been playing for the last 15 hours. It's a fantastic game. Has its flaws but the good is so good that the bad is easily overlooked. Can't wait to go home and play more.

How do you compare it to other FF games? Or moreso what is your take on other FF games? Mostly just asking because I really didn't like 10, tried to go back to it on remaster and was more okay with it but I didn't even get to the point I got to when I first played it. 12 I enjoyed the combat but not so much the story. I didn't really like anything about 13. 9 was really the last game I enjoyed. Probably doesn't give much to go on but I find if I can align which games or parts that I enjoyed from previous games it gives me a pretty good sense of whether I'll like the game.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dray2k

Nice! 86 on avg on mc is everything I've hoped for and more. Gonna wait a little bit though.

@odinsmana: Eh, dunno if ones enjoyment of Anime has anything to do with it. People played Final Fantasy 6 and 7 without being Anime fans or knew anything about it at all. JRPGs always bound different demographics together, the comic nerd who never touched a Manga just as much as the western otaku who never touched a good ol X-Man.

EDIT: "touched a good ol X-Man", hmm...something doesn't sound right here.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's a Final Fantasy game. Wanna start a fight? Ask a group of FF diehards what the best game in the series is (and for the record, it's XII. Anyone who says otherwise is an ignorant philistine. And if you say X, please jump off a bridge).

The point is, tastes about that stuff are all over the place, so reviews will be as well. Some reviewers are saying they're huge FF fans and love it. Others are saying their huge FF fans and don't seem to like it as much. Same goes for reviewers who appear to be relative newcomers. Half of the reviews are praising the characterizations and half of them are calling the characters shallow. Different stokes and all that.

Also, that IGN review reads like a much higher score than an 8.2. Don't know what the editing process was for that one, honestly. I mean it's not like 8.2 is a bad score, in an objective sense. But given IGN scores almost every game as an 8, 9, or 10, a score of 8.2 is practically saying the game is terrible.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: If you ever need a textbook example of a broken base, it's the FF fandom. I, for one, am one of those old school fans not thrilled with the general direction they're taking the gameplay, but if it does well and people like it then that's great.

And for the record, the best game is clearly FFVIII. En garde!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Sackmanjones

Alright I'll be "that guy". I've never really played any JRPGs other than Persona 4 (and I plan on playing 5). I've never played any Final Fantasy games except the very first one and I was too young to know what the hell I was even doing.

I don't know what it is but something about this game interested me. Maybe it's because it looks great or the combat seems fun but somethin is grabbing me. How would you describe this game? What separates it apart from more Westen RPGs like a Skyrim or Dragon Age? How is the combat? It looks more action based but is there still some of the character management like in Persona?

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Schreier at Kotaku is my JRPG guy. He seemed to really dig it. That's enough for me.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bakumatsu: did you expect the story to be best part of this game?

I read the kotaku review and it the games is good/great depending on the person

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By owack6

I'm gonna wait until Dan's review hits to form my opinion.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By monetarydread

@dray2k: The ff3+6 period was a novel time for people. That was pre-world wide web and the only time someone had heard of anime was if you were lucky enough to be in a cuty where the video rental shop has a few vhs's, and unless it was a movie, you saw two episodes of a show and thats it. Sure, there was a few outliers like The Lost Cities of Gold, Battletech and Dragonball on TV, but u probably didn't think of them as anime. FF6 came out around the same time as Sailor Moon and DBZ wasnt dubbed until much later, so JRPG's were most likely a lot of peoples first experiences with Anime storylines.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was telling my friend earlier that FF games have never been perfect, or even nearly perfect I'd say. However, the ones that have historically hit the hardest are the ones with a few very special elements to them that transcend the entire game. FF games try. They want to move you. Just look at the gaming community; FF moments have stuck with us for a life time. That's what's always made FF special. Not that they were perfect but that they had things in them that elevate them to new levels. There are things in these games that can touch a particular person to their core. I'd rather have that than a safe, shiny "game for everyone."

FFIX might be my favorite FF game and it's one of my favorite games of all time. One of the biggest reasons is because of one singular character in the game- Vivi. Vivi is a black mage who doesn't know who he is, what he is, where he came from, etc. Seeing him out on his journey throughout the game and finding out who he is really got to me as a kid and it's helped shaped me as a person. This is an example of the point I'm trying to make. Each and every FF game is by and large NOT for everyone. This is the reason behind the variety of opinions in the fanbase.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By AV_Gamer

It seems like the common opinion from critics, is that the story is weak, but the gameplay and exploration is great. Pretty much the same as FFV and FFXII. Thought FFXII's story grew on me the during my second playthrough. I'm not surprised about the story being weak, I never did buy into the whole 'JPop Boyband' theme of the main cast. It seems like if fans want a modern Final Fantasy with a great story, then they need to play the online version, FFXIV. Surprising, given the game's horrible start.

With that said, I haven't played it yet, so who knows.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlexGBRO

@owack6: do you think he will even play this game? I think he plays WD2 instead of FFXV, maybe Brad will play 5/6 hours, also this game is too late in year for GB crew to include in the GOTY podcasts, look what at Witcher 3 a game that none of the GB crew complete and they had 6+ months to do it last year.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro: He is probably playing it in Kansas right now with his dad over a few beers.

Dan loves anime and always has.

THIS IS MY WORLD AND I'M STICKING TO IT.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm glad that it seems to have turned out alright. I was certainly worried after the platinum demo.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: I never played XII but based on the 30 or so hours I played of XIII I think XV is undoubtedly the better game.

Except when you keep reading that the combat is simplistic and not very engaging. Yes 13 had an issue with it's combat until everything was unlocked but it's the best combat system of any modern JRPG that I've played.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I've never played a Final Fantasy game. I still don't think this game is for me, but I'll pick it up when there is a sale. Glad to see it came out OK.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vasta_narada

Alright I'll be "that guy". I've never really played any JRPGs other than Persona 4 (and I plan on playing 5). I've never played any Final Fantasy games except the very first one and I was too young to know what the hell I was even doing.

I don't know what it is but something about this game interested me. Maybe it's because it looks great or the combat seems fun but somethin is grabbing me. How would you describe this game? What separates it apart from more Westen RPGs like a Skyrim or Dragon Age? How is the combat? It looks more action based but is there still some of the character management like in Persona?

Compared to WRPGs, the focus of JRPGs in general is more on a grand narrative whereas I would say WRPGs generally focus either more on the player character's (gameplay) growth or scenarios. Obviously something like Witcher is focused on the main story, but it's viewed through a series of smaller-scale events usually. In JRPGs, you're always looking ahead to the bigger picture--you just gotta get this thing, gotta do this, gotta get to this town, etc. (this is occasionally a detriment, but sometimes a plus). You're more likely to be dealing with quest logs in WRPGs, since JRPG sidequests are usually weird threads or activities, but I've heard FFXV does more in the way of real side quests? For FFXV in particular, you're not worrying about character builds so much as you're worrying about unlocking all the abilities and traits you can get.

Combat is best described as tactical-action, I think. You only have one attack button that takes you through a combo route that you influence with directions of the analog stick and timed presses, a dodge button featuring a perfect dodge mechanic, weapon-swapping (mid combo), and MP management. You also have the ability to warp around the battlefield, which you have to balance between positioning and using to do damage before taking refuge in safe spots to recharge your MP and dive back in. Your party is completely AI controlled aside from the main character, but as you fight you fill a meter that you can spend to give teammates ability commands.

There's not so much character management as Persona since you aren't worrying about stats or weakness profiles, but there is still an emphasis on loudouts and abilities. You generally want to be keeping weapons that are useful for the scenario (not bringing tiny daggers to fight a giant plate mail-wearing demon for example), and there is a magic crafting system where you take one of three base spells and add effects to it. There's a separate magic tree called Ring Magic that I don't know much about yet because I'm still early in the game, but that features unique spells.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@zirilius said:
@pompouspizza said:

Except when you keep reading that the combat is simplistic and not very engaging. Yes 13 had an issue with it's combat until everything was unlocked but it's the best combat system of any modern JRPG that I've played.

I don't . . . what . . . I can't even . . .

How? Why?! The entire premise of FFXIIIs combat is that you hit auto-battle over and over again, sit through tedious paradigm shift animations, and all the while pray your AI companions don't do anything irredeemably stupid in the meanwhile.

Anything would be better than that system.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels great to be excited to play a Final Fantasy game again! 12 and 13 were alright, but I kind of bounced off of them. I also only dabbled in the MMOs. FF games used to be the biggest deal for me, right next to Metal Gear and Deus Ex. Over the last 15 years that went from big deal to lukewarm ambivalence on my part.

Exactly how good the game is remains to be seen, but man it just feels so cool to have a new FF that looks interesting to me and is well received.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I honestly stopped paying attention to reviews, for everything. They are even inconsistent across the board on stuff like technical issues, which is one aspect that is mostly based around facts. Let alone the subjective part. There's something about most reviewers' opinions that just doesn't fall in line with my own at all. Or that of the player base for that matter. I honestly take the couple post in this thread by people saying they played it for 15 hours and think the game is fantastic to be worth a whole lot more than all those reviews put together.

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scottjay01
fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I'm glad that it's reviewing positively -- this is the first game I've preordered in forever just because even if it was horribly bad, I just had to know and experience the bad firsthand. I'm still reserved about it because some of the character design doesn't do it for me, but I'm excited to get home and play it tonight.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@lawgamer: If you ever need a textbook example of a broken base, it's the FF fandom. I, for one, am one of those old school fans not thrilled with the general direction they're taking the gameplay, but if it does well and people like it then that's great.

Wait, you call the PS1 games "old-school"? Old-school is clearly FF1-6.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikelemmer: I've played them all, and in the game mechanics sense, yes the PS1 era is still very much 'old school.' Not that I actually said such a thing.

J7Grimard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to see this game getting good reviews. Haven't played a FF since probably 12 and that one did nothing for me. So I'm interested to see if this game brings me back to the FF series. Watched Kingsglaive last night, enjoyed it. Wasn't bad. Read a couple of the reviews today. Game sounds really good. My excitement level for this game went from 0 to 10 in about a week. Can't wait to check this one out.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedom4556 said:

Wait, you call the PS1 games "old-school"? Old-school is clearly FF1-6.

PS1 is legitimately an old-school console at this point, considering the NES/SNES was considered "old-school" in the PS2 era. Maybe it's time to start calling the oldest consoles "ancient-school".

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dray2k said:

@odinsmana: Eh, dunno if ones enjoyment of Anime has anything to do with it. People played Final Fantasy 6 and 7 without being Anime fans or knew anything about it at all. JRPGs always bound different demographics together, the comic nerd who never touched a Manga just as much as the western otaku who never touched a good ol X-Man.

EDIT: "touched a good ol X-Man", hmm...something doesn't sound right here.

I was half joking. I am not an anime fan myself (or comic fan for that matter) and still really enjoy the Final Fantasy games. I guess my point was more that there is something about Final Fantasy characters that makes some people really hate them for some reason.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

I honestly stopped paying attention to reviews, for everything. They are even inconsistent across the board on stuff like technical issues, which is one aspect that is mostly based around facts. Let alone the subjective part. There's something about most reviewers' opinions that just doesn't fall in line with my own at all. Or that of the player base for that matter. I honestly take the couple post in this thread by people saying they played it for 15 hours and think the game is fantastic to be worth a whole lot more than all those reviews put together.

for me reviews and comments are more to let me know if a gave isnt a total tire fire.

games are 80 dollars in canada now so I cant just buy everything. so its nice to know if maybe something isnt totally awful.

some stuff I know im gonna get my moneys worth and dont bother with reviews at all though

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Zevvion

@bradbrains: I read comments, I read user reviews, I don't bother with professional reviews though. They are most often worthless.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@bradbrains: I read comments, I read user reviews, I don't bother with professional reviews though. They are most often worthless.

im mostly the same. I use quick looks a lot.

The only thing I get from reviews is a general consensus. and I treat that as kinda one comment.

My only issue with user reviews is that I think people are almost always overly harsh or ignore too many flaws. I find some things like minor technical grips seems to take over reviews. I think they recently brought up this issue at the bombcast. So you are trying to sift through thousands of people saying the game is BROKEN do to a 2 frame drop so its hard to find the worthwhile stuff.

thats where I can see if there one thing that reviews are pointing out that I might not be able to get past.

Friends and "intenret acquaintances" is where I get most of my suggestions from now. I think this board, even though much bigger than it used to be is still a decent way to get advice.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I have a question for my fellow duders: How should I approach this story? Should I watch the anime and movies first in order to not be lost during the game? Or is there a way to watch them while playing the game to better compliment the story?

Thanks for the help! It's my first Final Fantasy and I can not wait!