Edited By predator

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

Why not just use a normal browser like chrome or firefox?

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By predator

@CaLe: I use Abrowser, which is an unbranded Firefox included in Trisquel. It's identical except it doesn't mention Mozilla.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By theguy

Not understanding the advantages of what you're saying... Why use this LibreJS anyway?

EDIT: Wow you really seem to have a problem with brands...

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By predator

@theguy: It might be irrelevant to you, but for a free software activist, it detects nonfree, nontrivial JavaScript in pages you visit, and blocks it. That way you aren't running non-free programs through your browser.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By theguy

@predator: Wow that seems like a crazy way to use the internet to me. To each their own I suppose.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cyraxible

This seems like the most curmudgeonly way to go about using the internet. I'd keep on wishing.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By doobie

@Anwar said:

@predator said:

@theguy: It might be irrelevant to you, but for a free software activist, it detects nonfree,
nontrivial JavaScript in pages you visit, and blocks it. That way you aren't running non-free programs through your browser.

What is wrong with running non-free programs through your browser?

it goes against everything a free software activist stands for...

.. fight the power!!!!

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By predator

@cyraxible: I think RMS one ups me by fetching web pages from sites by sending mail to a program that fetches them, much like wget, and then it mails them back to him. Anyway, it shouldn't be particularly hard to do, just follow the guide in the original post.

@Anwar: The same reason we don't run any proprietary software, because it's an injustice and free software respects the user's freedom.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaLe

So if someone puts a lot of work into a piece of software and doesn't want to give it away to be used freely, that's a bad thing? Their work deserves no merit? I'm not sure I get the mentality here. How about games? They are not free pieces of software.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By predator

@CaLe: Yes, it's a bad thing and their work deserves no merit. I won't go in-detail because I'm sure it is better explained elsewhere.

I don't play proprietary games, in fact I look at them the same way was saying about on-disc DLC. If I played them, I would be a hypocrite and the game developers would win.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Nubster

@predator: I was sympathetic to your viewpoint until you outright stated that anyone who charges anything for software is doing a bad thing and they deserve no merit. That's an extremely close-minded point of view, and it doesn't help that you aren't even attempting to explain why you think this way.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maajin

@predator: Did you pay for you computer? How does that work?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaLe

@predator said:

@CaLe: Yes, it's a bad thing and their work deserves no merit. I won't go in-detail because I'm sure it is better explained elsewhere.

I don't play proprietary games, in fact I look at them the same way was saying about on-disc DLC. If I played them, I would be a hypocrite and the game developers would win.

Words.. I have none. So yeah, good luck with that.

MeatBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By MeatBoy

@predator said:

H.264 is a patent-encumbered format and shouldn't be supported. It doesn't matter which is more popular or technically superior.

Really? It doesn´t matter at all? To be honest I know very little about the benefits of opensource software, but this specifically seems a little bit crazy. Giant Bomb is a business after all, and they need to at least consider the technologies and formats that are most widespread. Not to mention which ones are the best technically.

And expecting them to specifically support your incredibly obscure linux exclusive browser seems like expecting a little to much.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By predator
The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By The_Nubster

@predator: Alright, gotcha. I read that first link and I get it now. I don't agree, but I can see where you're coming from.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@predator said:

@theguy: It might be irrelevant to you, but for a free software activist, it detects nonfree, nontrivial JavaScript in pages you visit, and blocks it. That way you aren't running non-free programs through your browser.

You're asking a commercial site to bend to your minority will as you express yourself as a FLOSS slacktivist. I'm all for FLOSS but this is ridiculous.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By predator

@Maajin: I don't understand what you mean, a computer is hardware. For all intents and purposes, that is free.

@MeatBoy: Mozilla Firefox is not an incredibly obscure GNU/Linux exclusive browser. What I am asking GB to do is to release their Javascript code under a free licence, which is easy to do by following the guide in the original post.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Dogma

I think people don't understand your're definition of "free".

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By predator

@Dogma: Yes, that happens fairly often. Most times I talk about free software, people think of price first.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Cincaid

I'm extremely confused and not even sure why I'm commenting. But I hope you get your wishes fulfilled dude!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaLe

@predator: I am not exactly sure about the intricacies of your stance on the usage of free software. But I wonder how far this mentality extends for you. Is it limited only to software and if so why only software? Why not everything?

Books: words/language is free so the author deserves nothing for just arranging them in a certain order.

Packaged food/restaurant food: deserves nothing because you could just prepare it all yourself.

Furniture: wood grows naturally but those damned huge corporations are making money from turning this free growing wood into a nice desk.

So I'll ask again, how far do you take this stance and if it stops with software, what is the reason? It would be logically inconsistent of you to restrict yourself to only software. What I'm saying is, just by sitting in the chair you are on right now, destroys any stance you have. At least from my perspective.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Gilsham

so you want them to degrade the preform ace of the website by not minifying (which is done is speed up page loads not to obfuscate code) their js (the js lib they use mootools is open) so you can have a clear conshince when visting a site about software you think is terrible, how does this make sense to you? also you want them to switch to a different video codec which would mean re-ecoding everything, amd then pay $3 per user to use status.net ;>.>

I know you are trying to improve the world but trying to change small sites like this really isn't something that is going to happen when the time costs etc will be so great, just because they have CBSi behind them now doesn't mean they can though money around on stuff like this

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By predator

@CaLe: You are thinking of price when it isn't a question about price whatsoever. Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”. Food and furniture are as free as they can be. As for books, all textbooks and reference works should be free as in freedom.

MeatBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By MeatBoy

@predator said:

Wow, well your missing out on all the fun then:)

You´re welcome to prove me wrong on that though. If you have any tips on good open source games, I´d love to check them out.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaLe

@predator said:

@CaLe: You are thinking of price when it isn't a question about price whatsoever. Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”. Food and furniture are as free as they can be. As for books, all textbooks and reference works should be free as in freedom.

So basically, ideas, or anything produced by the human mind shouldn't have a price? Is this more accurate?

Edit: noticed you only say textbooks/reference works. Meaning it's OK to charge for something that is for entertainment? But not games.. because they are software? I guess I'm not getting the fundamentals of this mentality.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#30  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Predator, I'm all for Giant Bomb working across multiple browsers but you're asking for the site to support very obscure formats and software. In April 2012 it was only 0.8% of people online who weren't using IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Opera, (source) and within that 0.8% it's going to be an even smaller number of people who are using LibreJS. Supporting that browser would mean taking large amounts of time and resources that could be spent creating and improving features for the 99.2%+ to support these very specific technologies. The matter of the fact is that it does matter what technologies people are using and it does matter what technologies are most popular. I don't think revamping the site in the way you're talking about would be fair to Giant Bomb or to any of it's users apart from the < 0.8% using the software you're talking about.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By predator

@MeatBoy: Well, I'm not playing much right now except maybe nethack-el and OpenTTD, because ATI and Nvidia cards require non-free firmware for 2D and 3D acceleration. If I get an Intel graphics chipset, I'll try out Xonotic and Ryzom. There's a list of games here.

@Gamer_152: I'm not asking for GB to be compatible with a browser, Abrowser is just an unbranded Firefox. LibreJS is obscure though.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaLe

@predator said:

@MeatBoy: Well, I'm not playing much right now except maybe nethack-el and OpenTTD, because ATI and Nvidia cards require non-free firmware for 2D and 3D acceleration. If I get an Intel graphics chipset, I'll try out Xonotic and Ryzom. There's a list of games here.

Why are you interested in Giant Bomb when it focuses on games that you will never play?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@predator said:

So what games do you play? I'm not sure why you'd even visit a site like GiantBomb, when 99.9% of the games they cover cost money. In fact, I'm not sure how you can get anywhere in live believing in this.

If furniture can't be free, why is it different for software? People spend their lives training and then creating this software for you to enjoy, so how is that different? Expecting everything to be free is frankly just crazy.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By predator
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By kindgineer
@The_Nubster

@predator: I was sympathetic to your viewpoint until you outright stated that anyone who charges anything for software is doing a bad thing and they deserve no merit. That's an extremely close-minded point of view, and it doesn't help that you aren't even attempting to explain why you think this way.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By predator

@WinterSnowblind: @ck1nd: Again, freedom, not price.

@Anwar: Because I am lazy.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, also because people need to understand what I mean in the first place, and to do that you need to read up on it. It saves a lot of time explaining concepts.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By predator

@Anwar: I edited it if you didn't notice.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zero_

Look out! It's Richard Stallman!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Baillie

@predator: Surely there is a better word to use than 'free', right?

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By predator

@Baillie: You can use libre from French and Spanish.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Baillie

@predator: Thanks, no point trying to help.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dany

Everything they've show looks neat. I dunno what I would want...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#47  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@predator said:

@Gamer_152: I'm not asking for GB to be compatible with a browser, Abrowser is just an unbranded Firefox. LibreJS is obscure though.

Okay, but I think the point still stands. You're asking for changes which are going to mean nothing for at least 99% of Giant Bomb users for reasons which the majority of users probably don't even agree with, and will result in time and resources being diverted from the development of features that will affect everyone.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karl_Boss

I have no idea what your even talking about......I must not be very computer-savvy

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Vinny_Says

Why the fuck are you even on GB? This site is all about video games, software that explicitly doesn't allow you to modify it or redistribute it to others.....or whatever your confusing definition of free software is.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ravenlight

@Zero_ said:

Look out! It's Richard Stallman!

Stallman doesn't use a browser, he examines each packet by hand and forms a picture of a given website in his mind.