3DS XL or 3DS Fire Emblem Bundle?

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By mcbonjon

I'm now contemplating on getting a 3DS for Fire Emblem: Awakening. I'm just deciding whether to get the new bundle or just go all out for the XL version. I'm also planning to get Soul Hackers, Pokemon X/Y, and Etrian Odyssey IV when they are available.

I pose the question to all of you, which system should I get and any other suggestions for games on the platform? Any feedback would be awesome.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By morningstar

I'd get the bundle.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bane122

I'm a big fan of the XL series but I have huge-ass hands.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By falconer

I've been looking into this since the announcement of Pokemon X/Y, and unless you plan on traveling with your 3DS a lot, get the XL It's better in every way. That being said, I'm personally going to wait until after E3 to get one, in the event that Nintendo announces some sort of 3DSi-type of hardware refresh.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

At this point, I would just go with a 3DS XL. Everything about it is better than the 3DS, unless you actively dislike the bigger size for a handheld. And DS games look a lot better on XL than on the regular 3DS screen.

That said, I have a 3DS and don't plan to upgrade, only because that charging stand is so damn useful. If the 3DS XL got bundled with something like that, I'd trade in my 3DS in a heartbeat.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By doobie

whats more important to YOU?

a bigger screen

or...

fire emblem

?????

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SuperWristBands

Get the XL. I didn't realize how small the original is until I saw one in Futureshop yesterday. It's so tiny. The big screen is great.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The XL is a much better machine.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strainedeyes

I like my OG 3DS. I prefer the size.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Get the XL and buy Fire Emblem, done and done. As far as real advice, people seem to think the bigger screen = better.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mcbonjon

Here's another question. I also plan to get some original DS games as well, how do they look on both systems? I know you have to stretch out on the XL version, but do the games still look fine?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

Are you going to play it at home or on the go? If you're going to use your mobile system as a mobile system, then get the 3DS. If you're mostly going to be playing in bed or on the couch, get the XL. But buy Fire Emblem anyways.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Phatmac

The XL has a better battery life which is key. I'd get that.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ripelivejam

XL isn't even big.

regular 3ds is microscopic for my big 'murican hands and there's no way i can abide by that shitty tiny screen now.

literally can't wait for Fire Emblem, wish the others would come on virtual console or something....

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The bundle looks nice, but honestly I'm going to upgrade to the XL because the screens on the regular are too damn small. Might not be an issue for you though.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By spiceninja

Get the XL. It's built better, it has a longer battery life, and the bigger screens make a big difference. I just can't see how anyone could prefer the old model over it. The cheap feeling of the old model makes it feel like a toy in comparison.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Get the XL. It's built better, it has a longer battery life, and the bigger screens make a big difference. I just can't see how anyone could prefer the old model over it. The cheap feeling of the old model makes it feel like a toy in comparison.

This goes for me as well. The XL is better in every way possible. The only down side is that the speakers are not as loud on the XL.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fire Emblem. Always Fire Emblem.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

The XL can fit in your pocket, unless you wear skinny jeans or tight clothing. I would say the XL just because the Fire Emblem one is almost the same color as the regular one...it's still really nice though. Honestly, I would wait for Nintendo to announce a redesign, which should be pretty soon.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mcbonjon

I was thinking about that as well. I was told the same thing when I got a PSP back in the day. You're probably right that there will be a redesign, but unless it's a substantial difference between the XL and the new redesign, then there isn't a point.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zebracal

I'd say get the bundled one since you said you're planning to get the other limited editions. Why not add it to our collection.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

i just want Fire Emblem inside of me already.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By triumvir

The XL is superior in every way except portability. However, the regular 3DS is still a really good handheld. Actually, I like the feel of the smaller system a little better but that's personal preference. The XL is probably objectively better.

The paint job on that Fire Emblem 3DS also looks pretty cool, if that matters to you. You should also be able to transfer the rights to the installed copy of Fire Emblem to an XL if you choose to upgrade down the road.

They haven't released the price for the bundle yet, have they? If it is just the price of the regular 3DS, I'd say get that and another game (Super Mario 3D Land is fantastic). You'd still be spending less than an XL and Fire Emblem. If the bundle is closer to the XL in price, I'd say get the XL and a copy of the game unless you are really strapped for cash.

EDIT: The price was just announced. It is $200. Get the XL and the game, man.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mcbonjon

At this point in time, money isn't a problem. I have made my decision and am going to get the XL and the game. I also found some more games to get for the system as well. I saw a copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked, Dragon Quest IX and Pokemon Conquest. I have also managed to track down a copy of The World Ends With You and Chrono Trigger (I've already played both of these, but I want to own them again).

This brings up another question. How do DS games look on the 3DS XL?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Snail

Fire Emblem bundle.

It'll fit in smaller pockets. It's lighter. The 3DS XL has a bigger screen but the same resolution as a normal-sized 3DS, so, even though it uses an antialiasing filter, the quality of the image ends up not being as good (although I think it's not all that noticeable). Also, that Fire Emblem 3DS is a good-looking limited edition. On the plus side, the XL has a much longer battery life. It's down to personal preference I suppose.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@McBonJon: I have Pokemon white 2 on the 3DS XL, and if I remember correctly, the picture is just slightly smaller than the size of the top screen. Other than that, they look fine.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mcbonjon

I have heard that you can stretch the top screen to fill the whole screen. How does one do that? Also, I heard some random fact that DS games run better on the 3DS XL than the normal 3DS. Not sure, but that seemed odd.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By triumvir

@McBonJon: I wish I could answer that question off hand. I've only played DS games on a regular 3DS.

EDIT: Just saw that someone else answered the question. At any rate, I hope your purchases work well out for you.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

The XL is way better. I think they're still having a Mario Kart 7 bundle as well.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By egg

I used the XL version in the store today, let's just say it was smaller than I expected, so it puts to rest my fears about it being too big. (and if it's smaller than expected, just think how small the normal model is) Well actually there's still one minor issue, the store had its screen fixed in a certain position, so I couldn't actually test if wobble is an issue. But in any case my confidence in getting an XL version over a regular one has improved after tonight. I say get XL, everyone should get XL model only. Well except for Circle Pad Pro. hmm

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deadmoscow

@McBonJon said:

Here's another question. I also plan to get some original DS games as well, how do they look on both systems? I know you have to stretch out on the XL version, but do the games still look fine?

After I upgraded, I went through and checked played some older DS games on the 3DSXL, they honestly looked just fine to me. If anything, the horrible, godawful ergonomics of the original 3DS took me out of the experience more than any minor screen issues ever would. By the way, this should be considered a hearty recommendation for the XL - it's an astonishingly better machine.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EarlessShrimp

One word after these words: BUNDLE.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunstarRed

I never thought the screen on the XL would make that much of a difference, but it makes a ton. It's really weird when I use my normal sized one now.

The XL is easily the best choice, unless you love the series so much that you want the artwork or love that blue it comes in.