• 103 results
themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themoon13

I would like to see if this works when its released.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mushir

OnLive? Oh right.... I almost forgot that even existed.

Like Michael Pachter said. OnLive is targeted for a very small audience, which is the hardcore gamer, who doesn't own a console or a highend PC.

Either way I'll be checking out that video. Thanks for posting.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Real life?  I think you mean "when officially released".  A few people are in a beta, but there's still skepticism so we'll just have to wait and see.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Twilight said:
" OnLive? Oh right.... I almost forgot that even existed.  Like Michael Pachter said. OnLive is targeted for a very small audience, which is the hardcore gamer, who doesn't own a console or a highend PC.  Either way I'll be checking out that video. Thanks for posting. "
By which you must mean " the hardcore gamer who doesn't own a console or a high-end PC, but does own a ridiculously fast internet connection". 

That's less than a very small audience - it's a very, very, very, very small audience.  It is as near to nothing as makes no odds.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver

do want

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@MurderByDeath said:
" @Twilight said:
" OnLive? Oh right.... I almost forgot that even existed.  Like Michael Pachter said. OnLive is targeted for a very small audience, which is the hardcore gamer, who doesn't own a console or a highend PC.  Either way I'll be checking out that video. Thanks for posting. "
By which you must mean " the hardcore gamer who doesn't own a console or a high-end PC, but does own a ridiculously fast internet connection".  That's less than a very small audience - it's a very, very, very, very small audience.  It is as near to nothing as makes no odds. "
thats  and oximoron lol
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow this is still coming?

Edit: Wow I have to admit the guy giving the presentation is being really straight forward about the product that is a good sign.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themoon13
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Real life?  I think you mean "when officially released".  A few people are in a beta, but there's still skepticism so we'll just have to wait and see. "
My bad, that's what I meant.
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ApertureSilence

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By scarace360

Ok so is this going to work around the world cause i live in canada and i would probably maybe buy one maybe.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By demontium

Nice find.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By themoon13
@scarace360 said:
" Ok so is this going to work around the world cause i live in canada and i would probably maybe buy one maybe. "
I live there too. You need to be withing about 1000 miles of their servers and they will have on in Chicago. So if you are in Toronto you are good. If its successful I'm sure it will come to Canada officially 6 months or a year after. That's my guess.
karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By karneh
@Twilight said:
Then how can they be hardcore?
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Twilight said:
"OnLive is targeted for a very small audience, which is the hardcore gamer, who doesn't own a console or a highend PC. "

Now THAT made me lol.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Lowbrow

So basically these guys aren't really doing anything at all on the game side of things. 

All these guys do is build servers, and run games on them. Or play a movie. Or whatever.

What they focused on is developing cutting edge streaming technology with a social component compatible across multiple hardware setups. 

My question is, do they only buy PC games? If they're running on severs, then PC games would be the only things they could stream across, which means that their release dates would only coincide with PC release dates, if the game does get released on PCs at all. Doesn't seem as ideal, but really, they didnt talk about how licensing games would work really.

In the end, the games still don't seem like they're running at 60 frames. I'll admit, I'm nitpicking, but still....

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno
@Twilight said:
OnLive contradicts itself, since it's for people without a high-end PC, yet you need pretty much a Fiber Op connection to use it. That population of people is even smaller, if it even exists. 
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

No used games = not for me. It's ridiculous how much of my games I buy used.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dood.  This could be awesome.  It just depends on how expensive the service is and how laggy it is and what kind of connection it takes.  If all of these are reasonable, I will definitely buy it.  The guy presenting seems very confident, and not like a marketer trying to show you just select pieces that actually kind of work.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Druminator

If this ends up working on my piece of crap laptop then I'm sold.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Geno

They didn't show the fps, but there was visible choppiness which means it must've been 40 or less. It appeared more like 25-30 to me, so I remain skeptical as to how well this can be implemented at the current time. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Geno said:
" They didn't show the fps, but there was visible choppiness which means it must've been 40 or less. It appeared more like 25-30 to me, so I remain skeptical as to how well this can be implemented at the current time.  "
Well it's still in a testing phase of that particular type of frame rendering, remember that. Technology like that though is impressive nonetheless.
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@xyzygy said:

" No used games = not for me. It's ridiculous how much of my games I buy used. "

pretty much, onlive is like Gamefly, only you need amazing connection speeds, and don't shop at Gamestop. Really, I can't see this being very successful, since it really is aiming at the gamefly market, which is me, and I will not switch unless faced with a great reason to. And it's also aiming towards you, the Play n' trade/gamestop market, and as you said, this is not going to convince our type of demographic when gaming. It will probably come and go, and people will respect it for changing a lot of the hurdles in the connection speeds problems. It's a nice start, but it's not a revolution.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

If it ends up working like it's suppose to, then I'm sold. That is, if it's a decent price. It's supposed to be at a decent price. But I'm not sure if it could really be that small. We'll have to wait and see. Meanwhile, I can't wait until this comes out.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Willy105

This is the first thing this gen to blow me away.

@Geno said:

" @Twilight said:
OnLive contradicts itself, since it's for people without a high-end PC, yet you need pretty much a Fiber Op connection to use it. That population of people is even smaller, if it even exists.  "

It was working on an iPhone with Wi-Fi. You don't need some crazy thing.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
@BestUsernameEver said:
" @xyzygy said:

" No used games = not for me. It's ridiculous how much of my games I buy used. "

pretty much, onlive is like Gamefly, only you need amazing connection speeds, and don't shop at Gamestop. Really, I can't see this being very successful, since it really is aiming at the gamefly market, which is me, and I will not switch unless faced with a great reason to. And it's also aiming towards you, the Play n' trade/gamestop market, and as you said, this is not going to convince our type of demographic when gaming. It will probably come and go, and people will respect it for changing a lot of the hurdles in the connection speeds problems. It's a nice start, but it's not a revolution. "
Yeah I s'pose. I guess I could always just get the Onlive for games that are only on PC, I dunno.
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Just get Gamefly, sure there is a day of waiting, but I see it as a bit more practical for Hardcore audience. i would like to try it out, and see if I can ditch the next wave on consoles, that is, if it does play console games at all.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Willy105 said:
" This is the first thing this gen to blow me away.

@Geno said:
" @Twilight said:
OnLive contradicts itself, since it's for people without a high-end PC, yet you need pretty much a Fiber Op connection to use it. That population of people is even smaller, if it even exists.  "
It was working on an iPhone with Wi-Fi. You don't need some crazy thing. "
Yeah, that is weird thinking about it now. Hrmm...
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By beargirl1

this actually looks cool. my internet was sparked again 

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cspiffo

It's interesting tech.  I still think they are going to have trouble with the bandwidth on the user end.  Theoretically it works.  Practically...I'm not so sure.  I guess we'll see when it launches.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Geno
@Willy105 said:

@Geno

said:

" @Twilight said:

Was it? I thought they were just watching a video of something on OnLive rather than actually inputting. The iPhone is fully capable of streaming video. The bandwidth required to stream live gaming with no loss in visual fidelity is another thing altogether. 
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By guiseppe

"Has anybody ever played a first person shooter?" He gets no responses. Now what the hell kind of a university has a bunch of people that has never played a first person shooter? And more importantly, why on earth are they showing it off there? 

Other than that, very interesting stuff :).

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Driadon
@Geno: No, in one area he was actually playing on his iPhone, all it seemed to do was lower the resolution and give a bit of lag as we saw on the projector (See 19:30 of the video). 
This service blows me away, especially for such an experimental technology and they really show that they want to go above and beyond with all the community stuff hew as talking about and showing. Steve Perlman, you win one internets.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Willy105
@Geno said:
" @Willy105 said:

@Geno

said:

" @Twilight said:

Was it? I thought they were just watching a video of something on OnLive rather than actually inputting. The iPhone is fully capable of streaming video. The bandwidth required to stream live gaming with no loss in visual fidelity is another thing altogether.  "
He was controlling Crysis on the iPhone.
Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aeterna
@MurderByDeath said:

" @Twilight said:

By which you must mean " the hardcore gamer who doesn't own a console or a high-end PC, but does own a ridiculously fast internet connection".  That's less than a very small audience - it's a very, very, very, very small audience.  It is as near to nothing as makes no odds. "

They claim it takes 1.5MBIT for lower resolutions while HD(720p, not 1080p) woudl take 5MBIT. 
Now I don't know about you but the slowest connection I can get is a 20/1MBIT connection. Now that's 4x the 'required' amount. 

Note: I capitalized the "MBIT" part before someone starts about that. ;) 

@People above talking about fiber connections, they're readily available in towns in my country, and barely cost anything more than a standard ADSL/Cable connection. 

Edit: Thanks for the link OP, such tech interests me.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Geno
@Willy105: That's very interesting then. I can't wait till we can see some direct output gameplay video. 
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Aeterna:  You, sir, have a very fast connection. I do not. Just streaming HD movies is painful to me, let alone sending game data back and forth. 

I'll believe it when I see it.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geno

Wait I just watched that part again, he was not playing Crysis through his iPhone, all he did was play a compressed video replay of it. He called it a brag clip, it's no different from going to gametrailers or youtube and watching a gameplay video.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Geno said:
" Wait I just watched that part again, he was not playing Crysis through his iPhone, all he did was play a compressed video replay of it. It's no different from going to gametrailers or youtube and watching a gameplay video. "
There is a part where he plays Crysis on the iPhone.  Initially, he is not playing it on the iPhone.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimbo

"You can't pirate it."

Will they ever learn?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Geno
@dcpc10 said:

" @Geno said:

" Wait I just watched that part again, he was not playing Crysis through his iPhone, all he did was play a compressed video replay of it. He called it a brag clip, it's no different from going to gametrailers or youtube and watching a gameplay video. "
Later in the video he showed himself playing it for a few moments. "
Hm, I just noticed that part now. But it looked about 10fps; if this is all about network speed shouldn't it run faster since it's at a lower res? 
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm curious about how much input lag you are going to feel when playing. Multiplayer games could be a real pain.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aeterna
@MurderByDeath said:
" @Aeterna:  You, sir, have a very fast connection. I do not. Just streaming HD movies is painful to me, let alone sending game data back and forth.  I'll believe it when I see it. "

Well, I'm not American and I always assumed that any decently sized city had it's own fiber networks?  
Are they at least making plans to lay down some fiber then? 

FTTH(Fiber To The Home) projects are running everywhere over here, as they should imo.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Driadon
@Geno said:
" @dcpc10 said:

" @Geno said:

" Wait I just watched that part again, he was not playing Crysis through his iPhone, all he did was play a compressed video replay of it. He called it a brag clip, it's no different from going to gametrailers or youtube and watching a gameplay video. "
Later in the video he showed himself playing it for a few moments. "
Hm, I just noticed that part now. But it looked about 10fps; if this is all about network speed shouldn't it run faster since it's at a lower res?  "
It's likely a latency issue with the device playing via Wi-Fi and without any buffering. He didn't demo it for very long, so I'm assuming that is on their list of things to improve.
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Was he talking to a University? At the beginning I thought it was sort of a developer meeting. It would be kind of awkward talking to a bunch of acne infested silent teenagers just laughing at people sucking at a game or shooting crabs. Seriously, it wasn't much cheesier than a poop joke, and this is meant to be a huge leap in gaming presentation.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Willy105
@Aeterna said:
" @MurderByDeath said:
" @Aeterna:  You, sir, have a very fast connection. I do not. Just streaming HD movies is painful to me, let alone sending game data back and forth.  I'll believe it when I see it. "
 Well, I'm not American and I always assumed that any decently sized city had it's own fiber networks?  Are they at least making plans to lay down some fiber then?  FTTH(Fiber To The Home) projects are running everywhere over here, as they should imo. "
In the US, we use Wi-Fi everywhere.
FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FartyMcNarly
@Aeterna: America's networks are rather shitty. Although fiber is starting to be installed, due to the size of the country and the population upgrading and maintaining it is very expensive. Right now I believe only some parts of major cities are getting the fiber love juice.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fripplebubby

Quote from the presenter guy: "Line of sight connection". Obviously it was a mistake, and he did correct it, but that was kind of funny. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scooper

This thing still has my interest. Wether or not I'll use the service or not is another thing but I still enjoy following the technoledgy

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By JoelTGM

Thanks for posting.  I'm glad it is looking good still.  I really want it to work well.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By agentboolen

Only bad this I see is I'm betting since you have to be within 1000 miles of the facility with the networked computers its going to take a very long time to have these facilities near enough to our locations, but it does seem like it can be the future of gaming.  I know that it would be nice to buy a real cheap netbook just to play a game like crysis with no problems.  Lets just see how much there subscription fee is.