75th Annual EpicSteve Achievement Contest: Winners!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

No Caption Provided

Exactly one month ago I started The 75th Annual EpicSteve Achievement Contest. About 50 member from the GiantBomb community participated in a contest to see who can accumulate the highest amount of achievement points between January 8th and February 8th. It seems that the interest in gathering achievements has lightened. I even find myself not going too far out of my way for achievements anymore. I feel like this is due to the lack of real-world rewards and people on your friend's list not caring about your score.  If I have more points in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood than JJWeatherMan, I don't think he would care too much.  

This is why i started this contest. A good chuck of members from this community got games out of their pile of shame and went achievement hunting in hopes to win 1600 microsoft points. I specifically chose January to run this due to the lack of new releases, and it's after the holiday season. A perfect time to reach in your pile of shame, but there's enough legit releases (Dead Space 2, Raskulls, and so on) to give boosts to people's scores.  

Annnnnnd the winner is (drum roll)....................cide! He gathered 9,020 points in the last four weeks! Cide now has a total of 102,100 achievement points. During this contest, I managed to get a picture of his profile having exactly 100,000 points. i recommended he leave that profile behind forever. He obviously wasn't keen on that proposal. His winnings consist of 1600 microsoft points.   

2nd place goes to linkin10362, accumulating 8,960 now having a total of 159,280. Congratulations, duder. 

It was a close race between linkin10362 and cide with a difference in only 60 points!  

I will offer a second place prize of Dead Space 2 DragonAge II armor. If linkin10362 already owns Dead Space 2 or doesn't intend to buy DragonAge II, the code will go down the chain. We'll figure that out.  

Here's the top 5: 

1st: cide (9,020)
2nd: linkin10362  (8,960)  
3rd: Shard (8,355)
4th: Petturi (6,985)  
5th: Immortal saiyan (5,200) 

Come back next week for "The Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Tournament: Lets Fight hosted by EpicSteve".

GB User Name  Points accumulated during contest
 csl316  685
 JJWeatherMan  735
Immortal saiyan   5200
 MikeyCT  5,120
 MrSpaceMan  4300
 LordXavierBritish  1685
mazik765  2110 
 panting_nome   895
 extrameradical   305
 rjayb89  705
Sparky_Buzzsaw 1425
 ch13696 120 
 linkin10362  8960
 100_Hertz   2615
 Un3rcover Jedi   405
 cide   9020
 act26  1690
 bejaebe  1585 
 Sargus   1345
 PeasantAbuse   810 
 Shini4444  625     
 marioncobretti  4480          
 Petturi     6985  
 MVP1101  316  
 Lautaro   2425 
 nintendoeats  890  
 BlackIrish05  250  
 Zembosis  1625 
 BONES8677   385 
 Cerogravian    2100    
 EpicBenjamin   610 
 CrazyChris  2885 
 __pocalypse  185    
T0mF5   620     
 BjornTheUnicorn        530                
 ShadowVirus   730        
Meenard         4180 
Shard    8355
 Jakob187   1065 
 MetalBaofu   2100 
 yoshimitz707       1260 
 darkempster   875 
 EricSCH    685   
 vidiot  1400
 JJOR64  2735 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

No Caption Provided

Exactly one month ago I started The 75th Annual EpicSteve Achievement Contest. About 50 member from the GiantBomb community participated in a contest to see who can accumulate the highest amount of achievement points between January 8th and February 8th. It seems that the interest in gathering achievements has lightened. I even find myself not going too far out of my way for achievements anymore. I feel like this is due to the lack of real-world rewards and people on your friend's list not caring about your score.  If I have more points in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood than JJWeatherMan, I don't think he would care too much.  

This is why i started this contest. A good chuck of members from this community got games out of their pile of shame and went achievement hunting in hopes to win 1600 microsoft points. I specifically chose January to run this due to the lack of new releases, and it's after the holiday season. A perfect time to reach in your pile of shame, but there's enough legit releases (Dead Space 2, Raskulls, and so on) to give boosts to people's scores.  

Annnnnnd the winner is (drum roll)....................cide! He gathered 9,020 points in the last four weeks! Cide now has a total of 102,100 achievement points. During this contest, I managed to get a picture of his profile having exactly 100,000 points. i recommended he leave that profile behind forever. He obviously wasn't keen on that proposal. His winnings consist of 1600 microsoft points.   

2nd place goes to linkin10362, accumulating 8,960 now having a total of 159,280. Congratulations, duder. 

It was a close race between linkin10362 and cide with a difference in only 60 points!  

I will offer a second place prize of Dead Space 2 DragonAge II armor. If linkin10362 already owns Dead Space 2 or doesn't intend to buy DragonAge II, the code will go down the chain. We'll figure that out.  

Here's the top 5: 

1st: cide (9,020)
2nd: linkin10362  (8,960)  
3rd: Shard (8,355)
4th: Petturi (6,985)  
5th: Immortal saiyan (5,200) 

Come back next week for "The Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Tournament: Lets Fight hosted by EpicSteve".

GB User Name  Points accumulated during contest
 csl316  685
 JJWeatherMan  735
Immortal saiyan   5200
 MikeyCT  5,120
 MrSpaceMan  4300
 LordXavierBritish  1685
mazik765  2110 
 panting_nome   895
 extrameradical   305
 rjayb89  705
Sparky_Buzzsaw 1425
 ch13696 120 
 linkin10362  8960
 100_Hertz   2615
 Un3rcover Jedi   405
 cide   9020
 act26  1690
 bejaebe  1585 
 Sargus   1345
 PeasantAbuse   810 
 Shini4444  625     
 marioncobretti  4480          
 Petturi     6985  
 MVP1101  316  
 Lautaro   2425 
 nintendoeats  890  
 BlackIrish05  250  
 Zembosis  1625 
 BONES8677   385 
 Cerogravian    2100    
 EpicBenjamin   610 
 CrazyChris  2885 
 __pocalypse  185    
T0mF5   620     
 BjornTheUnicorn        530                
 ShadowVirus   730        
Meenard         4180 
Shard    8355
 Jakob187   1065 
 MetalBaofu   2100 
 yoshimitz707       1260 
 darkempster   875 
 EricSCH    685   
 vidiot  1400
 JJOR64  2735 
act26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By act26

Wow! I clearly suck at farming achievements, I kept getting distracted and playing online games without achievements :/ Oh well, congratulations to the winners, 9,000 points is really impressive. 

And thanks to EpicSteve for organising and hosting the contest, awesome that you gave both first and second place a prize!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Good work cide. 9000 is a lot of gamerscore to acculate in one month.  
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By SMTDante89

Congrats to everyone that competed.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EpicSteve
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
" Good work cide. 9000 is a lot of gamerscore to acculate in one month.   "
Last week I wanted to half warn him he needed to jack up another 1,000 so he can say he gathered a complete 10,000 points in 4 weeks. That sounds super impressive. But it was too close between him an linkin10362 for me to specifically point something out to one of them. 
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

linkin10362 is pissed right now.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By trace

That's roughly 1/3rd of the gamerscore I've attained over four or so years. Quite insane, even if I am a bit slow on the achievements front. Congrats to cide!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By recroulette

60 points, that's just crazy. 

Insane work though guys.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
@Brendan said:
"linkin10362 is pissed right now. "

I'd say.  To put that much effort into it and lose by a mere 60 gamerscore. Sucks.
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By danielkempster

I appear not to be in the final table. I know I was nowhere near the top, but still, I'd hoped to see my name there. Y'know, for prosperity, or something like that. 

Anyway, congrats to cide, and a huge thanks to you, EpicSteve for generously putting on this contest. The Giant Bomb community sure is an amazing thing to be a part of.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Wow, that's an impressive finish by the top two individuals.  And thanks, EpicSteve, for hosting this thing.  Awesome stuff.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

@dankempster said: 

Gotcha. Sorry about that. Knew something had to be fucked up. 
guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By guthwulf

Congrats to the cide and thanks to you, EpicSteve, for doing the whole thing.
Also, I want to admit now that I S-Ranked Meet the Robinsons, Blazing Angels and Spiderman FoF during this contest... and I am a little ashamed of that.

Anyway, until next time!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EpicSteve
@guthwulf said:
" Congrats to the cide and thanks to you, EpicSteve, for doing the whole thing. Also, I want to admit now that I S-Ranked Meet the Robinsons, Blazing Angels and Spiderman FoF during this contest... and I am a little ashamed of that.  Anyway, until next time! "
Not naming names, but totally saw a dude playing Pimp My Ride. Don't feel bad. 
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrittonPeele

I did kind of crappy (had a lot less free time over the month than I expected), but at least I made the top half or so, looks like.

This was fun. Huge props go to EpicSteve for hosting/organizing it.

Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shard

GG everyone,  

Congrats to Cide!  I want to thank all my friends who let me borrow games and especially roariamalion who played some co-op with me! 

*Steve - I'm not on the list, and thanks for hosting such a great event!  
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

Well done to the winners, I was on a hunt for points before christmas and collected like 9000 points and it drove me nearly insane. I think im 7th though...thats alright... isn't it?    

(I think I am still trying to justify playing Megamind)
Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkin10362

It's pretty funny though. I sat there yesterday thinking "Should I get two more achievements in Need for Speed or not?" Those two achievement would've pushed me 125 points higher...

I'll take the Dragon Age code though, I didn't buy Dead Space 2 so I wasn't able to get the code.

Good work to cide, it was a close race.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mazik765

Grats to all the winners and thanks to EpicSteve for holding the contest :)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By csl316

man, i started off all motivated but quickly fell into a Halo: Reach haze.  then my new laptop came in and Starcraft took over.  Maybe the 76th contest will go better.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JJOR64

Damn, I got more points then I thought I did.  Congrats to the winners!

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@EpicSteve said:
" @guthwulf said:
" Congrats to the cide and thanks to you, EpicSteve, for doing the whole thing. Also, I want to admit now that I S-Ranked Meet the Robinsons, Blazing Angels and Spiderman FoF during this contest... and I am a little ashamed of that.  Anyway, until next time! "
Not naming names, but totally saw a dude playing Pimp My Ride. Don't feel bad.  "
Surely there had to be an Avatar here and there too.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This seems more like whoever had the most money to buy video games would win.  

But it sounded like a fun idea.  

*Sadly I only bought one game recently and that was Dead Space 2. It was all I could afford" 

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By guthwulf
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" This seems more like whoever had the most money to buy video games would win.   But it sounded like a fun idea.   *Sadly I only bought one game recently and that was Dead Space 2. It was all I could afford"  "

I only played games from my backlog, and I only got like 15 percent of the available points.  

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @EpicSteve said:

" @guthwulf said:
Not naming names, but totally saw a dude playing Pimp My Ride. Don't feel bad.  "
Surely there had to be an Avatar here and there too. "

I would lie if I said that I didn't think about for a second...
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@guthwulf said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" This seems more like whoever had the most money to buy video games would win.   But it sounded like a fun idea.   *Sadly I only bought one game recently and that was Dead Space 2. It was all I could afford"  "

I only played games from my backlog, and I only got like 15 percent of the available points.  

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @EpicSteve said:

" @guthwulf said:
I would lie if I said that I didn't think about for a second... "
Sadly I have massive limits on my funds...we...where recently homeless and Dead space 2 might be my only new game for the entire year. I had been saving for it for a wile. 
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PillClinton
@The_Laughing_Man said:
Sadly, no.  I had plenty of money to throw at games in the last month, got 3,600 points (only counted as 2,600 cuz I stupidly played Avatar at the very last minute), and feeling like an awesome achievement-gettin' hotshot, honestly didn't think I would need much more than that.  But, of course, the age-old adage applies yet again--never doubt the internet.  

Anyway, thanks EpicSteve for going to the trouble of putting this whole thing together.  As for my fellow contestants, I'll see ya on the podium in the 76th! 
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@100_Hertz said:
Sadly, no.  I had plenty of money to throw at games in the last month, got 3,600 points (only counted as 2,600 cuz I stupidly played Avatar at the very last minute), and feeling like an awesome achievement-gettin' hotshot, honestly didn't think I would need much more than that.  But, of course, the age-old adage applies yet again--never doubt the internet.   Anyway, thanks EpicSteve for going to the trouble of putting this whole thing together.  As for my fellow contestants, I'll see ya on the podium in the 76th!  "
I checked Cides list and all the game there where eaither xboxlive ones or ones you can get pretty cheap no adays (Or at least his recent ones)  

But still the idea was good.  

P.S On a good note I did find a old copy of Oblivion! 
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch13696

Damn. Am I the lowest on their? Only managed to get 160 points. 

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By guthwulf
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @guthwulf said:

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @EpicSteve said:

" @guthwulf said:
I would lie if I said that I didn't think about for a second... "
Sadly I have massive limits on my funds...we...where recently homeless and Dead space 2 might be my only new game for the entire year. I had been saving for it for a wile.  "
At least your situation seems to have improved then. That's more important than an achievement contest.
Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cincaid

Only 2885 for me. :( 

That's what I get for S-Ranking endlessly long RPGs during a contest. :)
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@EpicSteve:
Thanks for organizing this contest Steve, but you forgot to add me to the final tally. 

I had great aspirations for getting thousands of points, and I got distracted and played WoW instead. Ooops.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GreggD

I could've sworn I participated in this. Ah, well.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tordah

Damn, I wish I had known about this contest. I would totally have come in at 137th place or something.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

well good job guys. i find it crazy that you guys can make so many points with games.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

I should have known how much crazier other people are. Congratz to the entire top 5 though. you guys are some serious gamers.  :)

Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Petturi

Decent finish for me, even though I had the disadvantage of starting with score of over 181k and I had played most of the fast games. Battlefield Bad Company 2 was clearly the most played game, I played it probably over 40 hours during contest so that didn't help achivement hunting that much. But congrats to winners! I hope we see more contests like this in the future.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Dingofighter

Wait, my point total right now is a little over 10000, and I've had my 360 since around August. 
How the hell can you get 9000 in one month!? Congratulations is all I can say, I don't know if it was good luck, or if you really have Batman...

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By George_Hukas

Wow, if I knew it was that close I might have gotten a few more points at the end, I barely anything the last two weeks. Seriously, 60 points is pushing it!

If you guys think 9,000 is nice get--it ain't nothin'! I was in one of these before, and the guy who won had 28,000, in 30 days! I actually thought I had a chance with my 19k.

No Caption Provided
Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Petturi
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fwylo

Awesome.  Thats only 2000 less than my actual gamer score...  Apparently I need to play more games, or less League of Legends.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cerogravian

Congratulations cide, pretty sure noone was surprised there!
Looking forward to next one, might actually have some time to play instead of sitting around feeling bad over my studies...

Still, it felt great to get a little push in the direction of games that slipped into ones backlog...

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EpicSteve
@Petturi:  

Cide's a wimp! 
George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By George_Hukas
@EpicSteve: I can't wrap my head around those numbers..

..and thanks for the points, boss! LEGIT!

EpicSteve, The Most Trusted Name in GiantBomb Contesting™

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By jakob187

HELL YES!  I KNEW I'D WIN!!! 

Thank you all for the confidence and support.  I'll be using these points in the most worthwhile way I possibly can and... 

...what?  Wait, WHAT?!  I didn't win?! 

It's because I'm black, isn't it? 

In all seriousness, GG to the winners.  Goddamn League of Legends has gained a case of lockjaw on my left testicle and I can't seem to drag myself away long enough to play 360.  =  /