Achievemenets/Trophies

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Achievements are starting to be in lots of games.  No longer are they just 360, but it seem everyone but nintendo is doing it. Sony as well as some pc games are joining in.  granted, some of them do it in a horrible fashion (I'm looking at you WOW) but overall, what do you think of achievements?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

I dig achievements a lot.  I mean, yes, I want to play the game for the GAME first and foremost.  However, once all is said and done, it's kind of cool when you are playing a game like Left 4 Dead and you do something awesome and it goes "Bleep bloop, you're awesome".  That little sound makes me smile.  I'm satisfied by the simple things in life.

Granted, there are games that you'll probably play just for the achievements being easy to get (like all the whores with Avatar on their gamercard), but even then, there are some games where achievements are wicked fun to get - i.e. Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, and even Fight Night Round 3.  I know, I know:  Fight Night has easy achievements.  However, it's such a solid game, even after all this time, that it's impossible to NOT play it for achievements.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think they're fine, and I don't see why anyone would have a problem with them. Games have had Achievement-like challenges for years. All achievements/trophies are doing is unifying them in a system outside of the game.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By zitosilva

Before trophies came I had never played a game with any form of achievement. The impression I had was that they were a silly implement, a thing that I'd never care about. But I do admit that it was partialy a jealously feeling I had for the lack of it on the ps3.

Now that I've played a couple of games with trophies/achievements I think they are a great implement. It makes you really value and milk every single thing that you can from a game you really enjoyed. It gives a little something for going that extra mile, instead of the usual "unlocked artwork!".

I like them!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Demyx

They're fine I guess.

I don't really care much about them.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187
Demyx said:
"They're fine I guess.
I don't really care much about them."
...and that's absolutely fine, as well.  There are a ton of people that don't really care about achievements and they see it as nothing more than some tacked-on crap.
So yeah, there's not really a right or wrong side to this argument.  I mean, hell, the achievements aren't costing you anything extra, and it's just a fun little extra thing.  So if you dig them, then you dig them.  If you don't, then you don't.  I just get sick of people that throw out the "achievement whoring is stupid, blah blah blah" arguments.  I mean, back in the day, we used to go to arcades so we could have our name on that final screen and say "yeah, I'm THAT good".  Nowadays, we don't have that...but instead, we have gamerscore.  It's bringing that competitiveness back, but it's also something extra for all the completionists out there.  Getting 1k/1k in a game is pretty fucking cool when it happens, because you are like "okay, I have completely mastered this game".  That's actually an added BENEFIT to the gaming community, because now when someone says they know the game forwards and backwards, you can look at their gamercard and PROVE it!  lol
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"I dig achievements a lot.  I mean, yes, I want to play the game for the GAME first and foremost.  However, once all is said and done, it's kind of cool when you are playing a game like Left 4 Dead and you do something awesome and it goes "Bleep bloop, you're awesome".  That little sound makes me smile.  I'm satisfied by the simple things in life.

Granted, there are games that you'll probably play just for the achievements being easy to get (like all the whores with Avatar on their gamercard), but even then, there are some games where achievements are wicked fun to get - i.e. Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, and even Fight Night Round 3.  I know, I know:  Fight Night has easy achievements.  However, it's such a solid game, even after all this time, that it's impossible to NOT play it for achievements.
"

Pretty much that. ^^
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kush

I like achievements...they remind me of the good ol' days of playing in the arcades, but I do think some people take them a bit too seriously. Farming for achievements is something I'd never do.