• 92 results
ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By ADAMWD

After seeing and hearing The Last of Us, I really want to play that game. Normally I wouldn't even think about dropping near $300 to play one game. But there are a fair amount of exclusives I'd love to get my hands on and I would also be getting a blu-ray playet. It just feels weird buying a console so late in the cycle, but I got an Xbox way late so it isn't unfamiliar. If I do pick one up, I'll probably be getting Journey, Shadow of the Colossis\Ico, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, and the Uncharteds. Are there any other PS3 exclusives worth picking up, I'm not too interested in inFamous or Resistance.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Sooperspy

There are a lot of great exclusives on PS3. Jump on in.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is not crazy at all. All those game will be cheap now. Valkyria Chronicles is great if you like turn based strategy games.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By david3cm

After watching the press conference I am ready to go out and buy a PS3, even if those games are months if not a year away I am stoked to support Sony.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Damn shame there wasn't another price drop. But it's always a good idea to jump in. There be games out there. And I don't even own a PS3...yet.

WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WVUEers

The Uncharted series won me over about 2 years back and now my PS3 collection is probably just as big as my 360. Exclusive wise I just feel like Sony has brought a lot more to the table in the last 3 years. My 360 gets fired up now and then, but because Sony produces so many more exclusives I find I buy more multi-plats for PS3 as well since I just feel used to the system. Hopping from PS3 to 360 and back is kind of jarring.

So nah, PS3 has a ton to offer.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By MormonWarrior

I convinced myself a few times to get a PS3 but ended up finding that the only exclusives I cared about were Uncharted 2 and 3 and I only wanted to play them once. Everything else I cared about I could get on the Xbox and already had, so the $300 was totally not worth it to me.

But hey, who knows? If you dig enough of the exclusives that are available, go right on ahead. It wasn't worth it for me and I've gotten rid of my PS3 twice now.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kogasu

Go ahead. I plan on getting one in a few weeks/ months or so. It wouldn't be crazy. People buy even older consoles than a PS3 and such anyway. I say, if you want to play the games, then why not?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

there is also metal gear solid HD collection, metal gear solid 4, god of war collection, modnation racers, gran turismo 5. also it's free to play online. there is also ps plus that lets you get a discount on the store, get some free games. i don't think it's ever too late to jump into a new system, unless one is announced. just tell you gran turismo 5 is iffy, some people like it other people don't.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By koolaid

Didn't you pay attention to the presentation?! They said it!

"There is never a better time to own a Playstation 3!"

...or was it there was never a better time to own a Xbox360?

I don't really remember, they kinda blend together.

Was it there is no better time to own a Ubisoft? I think that's it.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RedRoach

Late in a cycle is the best time to get a console, it's cheaper and has a great catalogue of games.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Willtron

Paying $300 for it is crazy, but picking one up isn't. See if you can get it on the cheap--whether just through a sale, or used. For example, I got my PS3 used at a specialty/non-chain store about a year ago for $150. And they gave me a good warranty, too. You might not be able to get that, but it's late enough in the cycle that your system should last you long enough without a warranty. And it's much cheaper than shelling out $300 for a brand new system.

Also, sounds crazy, but after the announcement from Sony today? Playstation Plus seems rad as fuck.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shirogane

@KoolAid: Oh man, i wish i could own a Ubisoft, imagine the cash i'd be raking in!

mot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mot

I'd say now's a perfect time to buy a PS3. Go for it.

shadowboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shadowboxer

@WVUEers said:

The Uncharted series won me over about 2 years back and now my PS3 collection is probably just as big as my 360. Exclusive wise I just feel like Sony has brought a lot more to the table in the last 3 years. My 360 gets fired up now and then, but because Sony produces so many more exclusives I find I buy more multi-plats for PS3 as well since I just feel used to the system. Hopping from PS3 to 360 and back is kind of jarring.

So nah, PS3 has a ton to offer.

Its a little strange but what you just said is, the same exact experience I've had with my PS3. Baller !!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a pretty much brand new 80gb Motorstorm Special Edition PS3 off a crack head in Trenton for like $80. It was well worth it. I'd recommend going the same route.

Avatar image for nocturnusfatalis
NocturnusFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NocturnusFatalis

No. In fact, it's probably the only way you'll ever play that game. The PS3 is going to be the next Saturn when it comes to emulation, and you can guarantee that if the Orbis has more conventional architecture, BC isn't going to happen with PS3 titles.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arch4non

Luckily there are no pre-order exclusives tied to owning a console so you're in the clear to buy one used at a reduced price.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Picard

@NocturnusFatalis said:

No. In fact, it's probably the only way you'll ever play that game. The PS3 is going to be the next Saturn when it comes to emulation, and you can guarantee that if the Orbis has more conventional architecture, BC isn't going to happen with PS3 titles.

He's right on the money. The only way you'll get to play all the great ps3 games is to buy one.

Good luck emulating that thing.

LemonJoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LemonJoose

I am thinking along similar lines. If MS and Sony are going to make us wait another year before they release new consoles, then I think at this point I would enjoy adding a cheaply priced PS3 alongside my 360 so I can play all the Sony exclusives that have been released over the last 5-6 years. Sure, I'll buy Halo 4 and Gears: Judgement and probably enjoy them. But at this point, I've had enough of sequels to the same franchises. It'd be nice to play something completely different that I haven't played before (Uncharted games, God of War, the Resistance games). And the Last of Us and Beyond both look great and are totally new IPs. Maybe MS is saving some big new IPs for the launch of the 720, but in the meantime it is looking very same-old, same-old on the 360.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jay444111

The PS3 is region free so you can also import games if you want! Just saying!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Wemibelle

You could maybe wait another year for prices to drop in preparation for new consoles but it might be quite the wait. At some point, you'll have to pick one up if you want to play PS3 games though. I'd be really surprised if the next Playstation had backwards compatibility.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp

No way, now's the time to buy a brand new video card and jump on a PC that's better than these consoles or the ones coming up next!

That's what I'm doing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

Get one used. Slims are pretty reliable and i think they fixed the YLOD on them. Am I wrong in saying this, other users?

TheSpoonyBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheSpoonyBard

@Jay444111 said:

The PS3 is region free so you can also import games if you want! Just saying!

And it's essentially free to run after your purchase. Online (unless you get Plus, of course, which is very optional) is free.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I bought one used last year and I don't regret it at all! I haven't even played on it much but I feel like I'm still getting my money's worth. (Had an Xbox 360 since its release and I'm a heavy PC gamer)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Seppli

I made my PS3 my main console. Just couldn't bring myself to pay for the gold subscription anymore. Now PSN+, that I intend to jump on soon.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Seppli: Speaking of Gold, that's another factor. I had a big problem one month where my LIVE account got hacked and someone bought $100 of premium junk on my credit card when I was busy with schoolwork and not paying attention to my 360. I then realized I had my credit card saved to renew my GOLD subscription and having it out there like that and having that happen was too much of a hassle so I pulled out. If I end up getting really into 360 games again I'll probably just buy those cards on GameStop or something. For now I'm done having my credit card out there.

I did get my $100 back after a sort-of-long-ish phone call with Xbox LIVE support -- they did a really good job, though! If I was less busy I'd still be a Gold member with those prepaid cards; I just don't have the time for it right now.

mot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mot

@NocturnusFatalis said:

While that's probably true, Sony might do something with Orbis like they did when PS3 launched and put the previous generation's chip in the console for simple backwards compatibility. Of course, Sony removed this in the later model PS3s so I imagine it's highly unlikely. Just go buy a PS3 dude.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By dagas

I bought my PS3 only a few months ago. Mainly for the Yakuza games. I figured at a sub €200 it was finally worth it.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@ADAMWD: I sold mine after collecting dust after UC2. Will probably buy one used play UC3 and The Last of Us then sell it again a month later for more than what I brought it for with those 2 games included, Im cool with that.

EDIT: will have to check out Journey aswell.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@iam3green said:

there is also metal gear solid HD collection, metal gear solid 4, god of war collection, modnation racers, gran turismo 5. also it's free to play online. there is also ps plus that lets you get a discount on the store, get some free games. i don't think it's ever too late to jump into a new system, unless one is announced. just tell you gran turismo 5 is iffy, some people like it other people don't.

not a great selling point, you can play upscaled PS2 games. To me all that I care about on PS3 is Naughty Dog. And I loved the PS2 lineups.

Avatar image for mezzerliptikjay
MezzerliptikJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MezzerliptikJay

i dont think your crazy because im doing the same thing, check ebay out because you can pick one up as cheap as chips!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Hizang

Noby Noby Boy!

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

There will probably be a price drop before the end of the year, maybe at TGS. But you should totally get one just for the exclusives.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Panpipe

@ADAMWD said:

After seeing and hearing The Last of Us, I really want to play that game. Normally I wouldn't even think about dropping near $300 to play one game. But there are a fair amount of exclusives I'd love to get my hands on and I would also be getting a blu-ray playet. It just feels weird buying a console so late in the cycle, but I got an Xbox way late so it isn't unfamiliar. If I do pick one up, I'll probably be getting Journey, Shadow of the Colossis\Ico, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, and the Uncharteds. Are there any other PS3 exclusives worth picking up, I'm not too interested in inFamous or Resistance.

If you pick up all of the exclusives you're honestly going to have a whale of a time.

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago just for the exclusives. I still play my 360 more often, for the multiplatform games, etc. There are so many more artistic games on the PS3 though.

Some people say skip Uncharted 1, but it's still really good. Uncharted 2 is the probably the height of the PS3. Journey is one of my favourite experiences ever, such a little gem. Valkyria Chronicles is the best japanese game I've played in a long time, with a very sweet story (a little cheesy, but you never get good cheese in video games). God of War 3 is bad ass. Motorstorm games are good fun. Flower is novel. Heavenly Sword wasn't too shabby. Heavy Rain was a breath of fresh air, even if most things are a little off.

Do it.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Panpipe said:

@ADAMWD said:

If you pick up all of the exclusives you're honestly going to have a whale of a time.

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago just for the exclusives. I still play my 360 more often, for the multiplatform games, etc. There are so many more artistic games on the PS3 though.

Some people say skip Uncharted 1, but it's still really good. Uncharted 2 is the probably the height of the PS3. Journey is one of my favourite experiences ever, such a little gem. Valkyria Chronicles is the best japanese game I've played in a long time, with a very sweet story (a little cheesy, but you never get good cheese in video games). God of War 3 is bad ass. Motorstorm games are good fun. Flower is novel. Heavenly Sword wasn't too shabby. Heavy Rain was a breath of fresh air, even if most things are a little off.

Do it.

That reminds me. I've always wanted to play Valkyria Chronicles! I know what I'm looking for next time I'm at a retail store! But yeah, you make great points!

Hyperdimension Neptunia is also exclusive to the PS3 too, isn't it?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it's good to own one for some of the exclusives, I usually play multiplatform games on the 360, so my PS3 only really get used when I want to play some of the exclusives. Also that god-awful PS3 controller feels so unnatural so I rarely play any non-exclusive games on it.

But if you can get one cheapish, there certainly isn't any reason not to get one.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Humanity

You'll be at a huge advantage of being able to enjoy a huge catalog of now probably highly price-reduced games.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Anund

You're crazy for not getting one years ago ;)

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#41  Edited By sammo21

PS3 has more quality exclusives than other systems right now. Also, they aren't creatively bankrupt like Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be, but they are heading that direction.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BPRJCTX

I thought they had the worst conference by far.

I don't have the time to go deep into it, but, even though i loved Playstation back in the PS1 and PS2 days, they dissapointed me so much this gen, that when came the time to buy another console, when i already had a 360 and a Wii, i bought another 360.

And i can't believe they still have the same arrogant attitude from when they were the top dog, when they are clearly fighting for their life as a company.

They have a couple of good exclusives, but, they have done so much things wrong this gen, and continue to do, that, right now, i just have no desire to ever go back to Playstation.

I could just buy a used console and used games, but...

I don't know.

Just so dissapointed in Sony, what the hell happened to that company?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BradBrains

I had 6 broken xboxs and moved to ps3 about two years ago. There are some good games for it.

I mainly like it for it the interface and i've been used to the playstation controller for like 17 years.

Id say go for it but try to find a used slim. Id avoid the fats if you can.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Anund

@Darkstalker said:

I had 6 broken xboxs and moved to ps3 about two years ago. There are some good games for it.

I mainly like it for it the interface and i've been used to the playstation controller for like 17 years.

Id say go for it but try to find a used slim. Id avoid the fats if you can.

My good old fat, releaseday PS3 is still chugging along nicely actually, and it's much more quiet than the 360 Elite I have standing next to it :) But yeah, slim is obviously the way to go now.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I dunno. It's maybe a year till the PS4, which will either play all of those games or give you a big price drop. PS3 is awesome but that seems like a poor investment, unless you have the money to spend on both or plan on waiting a while to get the next gen PlayStation.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SlasherMan

IMO, the best time to buy a console is in its last few years. You get it cheap and it already has a sizable library of games to play, most of which are also cheap.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Marcsman

Yeah you're crazy.Crazy like a fox.

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

I think it is great that you are deciding to buy a PS3, heck if I didn't already have one, I would have jumped on that exclusive train the moment I saw the Beyond: Two Souls trailer. How can you not love this stuff? Quantum dreams is epic, you may want to play Heavy Rain, and Valkyria Chronicles as well. :) There's tons more to pick from, but I'm sure you're probably eyeing other games as well.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Maybe try to wait for this holiday season. I can almost guarantee you'll get a PS3 for much cheaper than if you bought it now and with some bundled stuff included that you can just sell to offset the cost.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By stinky

do a calculation on how much disposable income you have, and think about what games are out that you want to play on the console.

i'd wait for reviews on any particular game, especially one where you have no idea what the game play actually is.