Arcade recommendations in Japan?

ZilogJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm planning on going to Japan for a couple of weeks later this year, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience or recommendations for good arcades there?

I haven't fully decided on where I'm going yet, but will probably be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and maybe Osaka. I would be interested in retro stuff, and also rhythm games (I play some Pop'n Music at home but have never seen anything like that in arcades).

Or does anyone recall if it's been discussed in any detail in the Bombcast, UPF, or anything else? I guess Drew's trip was the most recent, but I don't remember him mentioning any specific arcades.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

If you're into rhythm games definitely go and check out a Club SEGA somewhere. Ok honestly, I came in here to tell you to go play Chunithm because that's the best rhythm game currently in existence. But I guess the great thing about Japanese arcade rhythm games is there are so many different games that are all crazy different from one another. I'd also highly recommend trying out Groove Coaster (by Taito) in an arcade because it's an intensely different experience from the mobile version, maimai and Sound Voltex just to name a few of my favourites. Oh and of course definitely play at least one game of Taiko no Tatsujin.

As for recommendations on where to actually go, if you aren't too interested in visiting the 'famous' arcades then you can't really go wrong with heading to Akihabara and just bouncing around the different arcades in the area because all the companies are represented. Definitely visit the Taito HEY arcade in Akihabara(it has a big space invader on the front, you'll find it) is also something you should go see, has a whole bunch of older arcade games. A whoooole bunch of shoot-em-ups. You could also check out a bar called 'Gamebar A-Button' which is a cool little retro game bar sort of thing. Think the top floor of Super Potato also had a small retro arcade last I was there. The New Shinbashi building is also a weird sort of building that has a bunch of stuff but has smallish arcades strewn throughout the building. And a whole lot of mahjong of both the video and analog variety if you're at all interested in that.

Have fun duder!