• 125 results
MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By MagnetPhonics

Australian here. I would complain about this article being inaccurate, but it's probably more accurate than most of the actual Australian reporting.

Without going into too much detail, this is just an in principle "Maybe we'll allow an R18+ rating" between the state governments and the federal government (New South Wales abstained.) Nothing legally binding and definitely nothing that hasn't been hinted at before. Gamers have a history of readily swallowing the bullshit spewed forth on this topic.

Other complicating features. The OFLC (classification board) is in the middle of making a power grab to enable far more censorship of all media, the R18+ classification for video games is no guarantee that things will be better. The South Australian government has also hinted that they may turn the existing MA15+ rating into the R18+ rating, enabling no currently banned games to be unbanned.

Video game classification has only been around 1994 (around Mortal Kombat/Night-trap time). It is a myth that this is something that publishers have always had to deal with.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By toowalrus

@Sinful said:

@TooWalrus said:
@Sinful
once again....a gamespot link.........sigh......
We really need to get passed this fucking gamespot hate- as a community- the time to move on was years ago.
As a community we all don't all have the same time frame limits. Nor do we follow the same thoughts....

You're right- after all, I still fucking hate the Jews for killing Jesus. Fuck them- and their bagels.

falidorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By falidorn

Finally! There really was no excuse for the lack of a "Mature" rating. Congrats to the wallabies.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Scooper

Nice one. The Aussies have got to be pleased with that. Long time coming, though. Too long.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By Rowr

oh yeh, dont forget to mention MORTAL KOMBAT WAS BANNED.

who gives a fuck about silent hill...

@mewarmo990 said:

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

I never understood the Left 4 Dead 2 fiasco. Couldn't you Australians just bought it on Steam? Playing those games on PC is really the only way to play them. Regardless though, this is great news.

What I don't understand is why all Steam users don't make USA accounts. I could be completely ignorant here - maybe there is some region detection in place, but the new game price favors the US dollar so heavily it doesn't make sense not to do it. i.e. charging 30 pounds/Euros/yen for a 30 dollar game is ridiculous.

GoG.com had a pretty cool thing going for the Witcher 2 preorder - Europeans would pay 50 Euros but then GoG would credit them the difference between that and US$50. Nice of them.

Yeh there is region detection, or at least you need an american credit card? probably both, i've tried all this before, when i was in america with my card listed to an american address i think it changed to american prices? i cant remember. Our prices are now listed in USD although new games are typically up around 80 bucks, a couple seem to be only 50?

L4D could be quite easily changed back to the regular version by changing a few lines of code in a file somewhere, valve likely left it like that on purpose.

PhoenixThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By PhoenixThomas

@PlasmaBeam44: Our version of Steam is an Aussie one (although the currency is in US dollars (crazy)). I bought it on Steam and got the censored version. :(

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By kollay

Did you know that kangaroos lick their arms to keep themselves cool?

Wait. What?

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By advocatefish

Hell yeah Australia.

SASFalcon119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By SASFalcon119

@PhoenixThomas: Not to fear, if and when we get the R18+ rating, valve will automatically change the L4D2 game to the uncensored version. 

But, as stated before, New South Wales abstained the vote for R18+. Until they agree, not all of Australia will get the rating. I'm pretty sure that regardless the ACT and Northern Territory will get R18+ anyway. 

One thing is on my mind though; if this rating goes through, will they un-ban Mortal Kombat (among other things)?  

@Rothbart: I'm pretty sure they use your IP address to determine your region. I remember using this program at one point which made my computer have a US IP address, and the prices were not tweaked for things like MW2 (for anyone who didn't know, some publishers have Steam tweak the prices to match the 'Australian pricing', ie. MW2 is not $69.99 it's $89.99 US)

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By dagas

A bunch of low life convicts can't be allowed to play violent video games!

just kidding. That's great news for Aussies.

LukeLawrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By LukeLawrie

@Movius said:

Australian here. I would complain about this article being inaccurate, but it's probably more accurate than most of the actual Australian reporting.

Without going into too much detail, this is just an in principle "Maybe we'll allow an R18+ rating" between the state governments and the federal government (New South Wales abstained.) Nothing legally binding and definitely nothing that hasn't been hinted at before. Gamers have a history of readily swallowing the bullshit spewed forth on this topic.

Other complicating features. The OFLC (classification board) is in the middle of making a power grab to enable far more censorship of all media, the R18+ classification for video games is no guarantee that things will be better. The South Australian government has also hinted that they may turn the existing MA15+ rating into the R18+ rating, enabling no currently banned games to be unbanned.

Video game classification has only been around 1994 (around Mortal Kombat/Night-trap time). It is a myth that this is something that publishers have always had to deal with.

Another Australian here, a games "blournlaist". Actually most of what you've written is wrong. It is not a "maybe", the Federal Government has overridden the "no vote" by NSW. R18+ no longer has to be discussed at SCAG meetings, it can be done outside of this now. Each state can implement the new guidelines without having to wait for NSW, who has only been in this position since April.

The OFLC hasn't been around for 5 years - you mean the Australian Classification Board. They aren't making a power grab, its about seeing what needs updating, fixing some old guidelines and bringing them in-line with other mediums. Have you read the proposed R18+ guidelines at all, what makes you think it wont be better? It fixes up a lot of the issues and also allows adults to play adult games.

South Australia not enabling currently banned games to be unbanned??? All states wont allow this, not just South Australia. Previously refused classification content would probably have to be resubmitted for classification to get a rating.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By MagnetPhonics

@LukeLawrie said:

@Movius said:

Another Australian here, a games "blournlaist". Actually most of what you've written is wrong. It is not a "maybe", the Federal Government has overridden the "no vote" by NSW. R18+ no longer has to be discussed at SCAG meetings, it can be done outside of this now. Each state can implement the new guidelines without having to wait for NSW, who has only been in this position since April.

The OFLC hasn't been around for 5 years - you mean the Australian Classification Board. They aren't making a power grab, its about seeing what needs updating, fixing some old guidelines and bringing them in-line with other mediums. Have you read the proposed R18+ guidelines at all, what makes you think it wont be better? It fixes up a lot of the issues and also allows adults to play adult games.

South Australia not enabling currently banned games to be unbanned??? All states wont allow this, not just South Australia. Previously refused classification content would probably have to be resubmitted for classification to get a rating.

Same organisation, different name.

I have read the new proposals. Same vague language as always, written so that practically any game can be banned if a media storm brews up. eg. Any game with "drug use for benefit" can be refused classification.

There is a constant stream of commentary out of the classification board wanting to classify more material than ever smartphone apps, various internet services,etc. as well as taking a generally more restrictive stance across all media. Just because the letter 'R' can appear on a video game cover now, doesn't mean things will be any better.

Also "in line with other mediums"? please. Where is the X rating that exists for video or AV for television? Music is classified by the industry and books have their own banned/not banned scheme? there isn't and never has been any consistency between media.

I was also citing the SA attorney general's statement that if there were no agreement the state would just rename the MA15+ to R18+. Something that could still happen.

These sorts of supposedly positive developments have all happened before and the public always ends up getting screwed. Like a bad case of beaten spouse syndrome the typical gamer keeps chanting "This time it will be different."

I'll believe it when I am buying Mortal Kombat and uncensored Left 4 Dead 2 in stores.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#114  Edited By thepantheon

Sorry Patrick, one state attorney general is still blocking this bill.

Unless all five states agree, we're still not going to get an R18+ rating. I just hope the Government says "hey, AGs, shut the fuck up and agree already." and forces it through.

That's what I'm waiting on..

Our country is so ass backwards.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By intro

Kangaroos would be the picture for this lol.

glanesb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#117  Edited By glanesb
@zymbo said:
Wow...about time.  Down with censorship!
Thats right!!!! 
It is scary to think that game-disc burning is right around the corner
CrescentFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By CrescentFresh

Good for them. It's ridiculous that it has taken this long.

zymbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119  Edited By zymbo

Let the customer decide.  I, for one, absolutely hate government making any decision for me.  It's my goddamn decision what to spend my money and time on, and as long as I'm not hurting anyone, leave me the F alone.

GENZO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By GENZO

I've never been more happy in my life.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

YAY!!!!!!!!!

krapduude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By krapduude

This is great news for Aussies :D I'm glad for you! Now lets just hope Germany follows this example.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By Dany

How do other countries separate mature games from adult games. In the US, we have M for 17+ and AO 18+ but AO is the death sentence, those games are not published by compaines and are not sold in stores on consoles.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124  Edited By Mooshu

Way to go, Australia.

I am sincerely happy for you guys.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#125  Edited By MeatSim

Hooray people in Australia get to play more games.

SevenFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By SevenFlow

about time 

PATJASA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By PATJASA

They should have done it ages ago! it's bloody simple and straight forward, but they have to wait so long, fucking stupid government!