Awesome Games Done Quick 2015

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Town with No Name was a fantastic run. So dumb.

How would Jeff feel about Super Pitfall being considered part of the Awful Games block? I guess it isn't Pitfall, so there's that...

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dprotp: I think Jeff is into Pitfall and Pitfall II, I think he's said in the past that Super Pitfall is hot garbage (I did enjoy the Angry Nerd video tho :)

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobozero said:

@dprotp: I think Jeff is into Pitfall and Pitfall II, I think he's said in the past that Super Pitfall is hot garbage (I did enjoy the Angry Nerd video tho :)

Oh. Oh shit! I managed to mix up Super Pitfall with Pitfall II... Whoops! I was looking at the schedule and having "NES" next to its cell was confusing as hell.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hobozero said:

@zombie2011: Some of the runs are truly amazing, especially when its a game you remember playing. The Super Metroid races they run are particularly tense - 4 people Metroid races that come down to fractions of a second in the end.

That's my problem, while i grew up playing games i didn't really get into gaming until the original Xbox, and most the speed runs are from 8/16bit games.

So when i see a speedrun of games i remember playing as kid like Golden Axe or Aladdin it's cool but I just don't have strong memories of those older games. I do really like the speedrun races though, making it a head to head competition is something anyone can enjoy watching.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So this happened offstream in the casual room:

Loading Video...

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That tetris segment was very inspirational. Here's a link to the youtube video.

Tetrisconcept is the home for the tetris community. The wiki also has some links to freeware clones like Texmaster and NullpoMino (my favorite thusfar). Those games also have the insane gamemodes from the Tetris TGM games as showcased in that segment.

LotsOfZazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@groin: I love how they just throw money at him.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god. Super Pitfall is garbage.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@groin: I saw them sending messages to the guy who had the record asking him how he did it and saying how surprised they were that all these top runners couldn't do it. Glad they finally did it.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the Ninja Gaiden Relay Race (All 3 NES games played by different players), was AWESOME! Finish was so close and that was a nail biter all the way to the end. WOW! If you didn't catch it live, you have to watch the replay on twitch when it's archived.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#262  Edited By hassun

@cloudyimpulse: Definitely one of the highlights of this AGDQ.

Awful Games Done Quick highlights:

Big Rigs:

Loading Video...

Trio the Punch:

Loading Video...

Town With No Name:

Loading Video...

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the Ninja Gaiden Relay Race (All 3 NES games played by different players), was AWESOME! Finish was so close and that was a nail biter all the way to the end. WOW! If you didn't catch it live, you have to watch the replay on twitch when it's archived.

Twitch archive? haaaaaah.

Check this shit out!

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Dan is playing close attention to this Punch Out run.

TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also excited that this means that there will probably be more relay races for other franchises.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#266  Edited By StarFoxA

Yeah, that Ninja Gaiden race was amazing. Three games and almost 40 minutes came down to a second in the end.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This SoTN race has taken about 30 minutes to set up.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I hope Arkham City wins its bid war. The Arkham Asylum run was so dull last year and the City run sounds hilarious! But Asylum has a lead... Few hours until that pans out. I do not watch it if it's asylum.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tournamentofhate: @hassun: @starfoxa: I think the other thing that really helped that Relay Race (other than the awesome play and close finish), was the commentating. Not that the other games being played with the people on the couch talking has been bad, but the two commentators talking throughout the run describing the difficulties and what was coming up was great. Too much silence wouldn't of made this as exciting.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Shindig

Yeah, this years setup has been great for commentary. It allows the runners to focus more whilst arguably giving viewers more insight.

TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudyimpulse: Yeah, the commentary for the Super Metroid 4-way race last year was really good too. Definitely is a huge part of it.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Yoshi race is fascinating. Also, hard not to think of Jeff now.

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sure Jeff is secretly watching it #jefflovesyoshi :)

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the Battleblock Theater speedrun also, it was great hearing from the developer (more of this please) while the speedrunners was breaking their game, laughed out loud when the developer was surprise that the things they have thought as beeing Horses, the speedrunners called Pigs.

Horses they are horses!

:)

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This is not the fasted Dark Souls Speedrun but it showed me how OP pyromancer is.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By kingspeedy

Blind Yoshi's Island did not disappoint. Holy shit that last level.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I haven't been able to catch a lot of it, anyone got some sort of highlight list of runs to watch? I might just watch all the archived stuff over the course of the next couple weeks anyways. I really enjoyed the Megaman X race last night.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#278  Edited By TheMasterDS

That Arkham City run was pretty great. Super glad it won. I've saw the Asylum run from AGDQ 2014, it was super dull. This was the opposite!

I also caught a little Yoshi before City started. I gotta say I feel that race makes a good argument for Yoshi being a high 3/5. Just in the last 3rd of the run I caught auto scrollers galore. And the worst sort of auto scroller too where it's like you're in a sinister slow moving bubble and you just have to waste time until the exit appears. Ugh. Even the final level had one! Hell, it apparently had an optional one you could get AND a mandatory one. Such awful design, hate those. It's also the biggest problem with the otherwise top notch Super Mario World.

Gonna watch the Awful Games Done Quick now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#279  Edited By csl316  Online

I'm a big fan of the Radical Rex run, just Alex in the background smirking as this guy hates himself for playing this shitty, shitty game. Must've hit close to home!

Loading Video...

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse: you 100% need to watch the Tetris runs. I also thought the Transistor run was super interesting.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Link to the Past run is pretty special.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I'm watching Majora's Mask speed run and the announcer was reading out a donation message and said "shout outs to Lunk!" and then the chat just filled with comments like 'L U N K B O Y S', etc XD

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was planning on playing a video game after UPF.

So now I'm an hour and 28 minutes into this Majora's Mask run. Thanks, AGDQ.

I always like when a runner is good at explaining steps as it's happening.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cringe every time they clap. I don't know why, it's like a reflex or something.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I had no Idea you could speed run Super Mario RPG. It was one of my favorite games growing up and it still is now, Checkers really did it justice.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#286  Edited By newmoneytrash

@dprotp said:

@cloudyimpulse said:

Twitch archive? haaaaaah.

Check this shit out!

holy shit thank you

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way this guy is going through these Mario Sunshine challenge levels with ease is really putting 9 year old me to shame.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's incredible how the runners can make some of my favourite games appear like entirely different experiences. Playing for speed makes you look at the game and its mechanics in a completely different light. That wall? Clip zip. That attacking enemy? Moving platform. That clearly marked path? Just a suggestion; runners make their own routes.

It's really something.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The stream experience has been way more fun, now that I remembered the GB chat. Thanks duders.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By Shindig

I just fullscreen twitch and cut chat out of the equation.

D_Rocksteady12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey everyone, I won a key last night by guessing one of the correct times for Sunshine. I can't use the key so I'm giving it away. It's for the game BOID. It's first come first serve, if you want it, DM me on Twitter, no follow needed, just want to hook someone up with a free game. @drewrkimball Thanks, everyone. Go donate to this amazing cause if you haven't yet!

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You reckon we can convince Brad to give up DOTA and turn to speedrunning Dark Souls 2? Breaking Brad for the World Record?

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This blind Ocarina of Time run is blowing my mind. The commentary as it goes is incredible.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The spectators getting excited and holding their tongues when the runner doesn't yet realize he's where he wants to be, this is awesome

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is quite impressive how effective the sound cues are, though. As he mentioned, for a game that came out in 1998, it has a pretty reactive and versatile soundboard. I've played games in recent times that don't change the footstep effects when transitioning from concrete to wood and such. That attention to detail is quite commendable.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like Zelda runs. I said it.

Blindfolded was neat, but this normal run is ehhhh