BeastintheEast or Shenmue 2?

colin_lashley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With yakuza kiwami on the horizon, will the Boys do Shenmue 2 in the meantime?

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really hope so. The Shenmue Endurance Run is probably favourite series on the site. I go back to it fairly often when I want something comforting to watch late at night. I do need to finish Beast in the East, though. Started falling off of it at some point in the middle.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Meantime? I don't think they'll beat Shenmue 2 in a week.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hope they don't subject themselves to more Shenmue. Some of those episodes were hard to watch. I like Vinny, and watching him die inside playing Shenmue just made me sad.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zeik

@cameron said:

I hope they don't subject themselves to more Shenmue. Some of those episodes were hard to watch. I like Vinny, and watching him die inside playing Shenmue just made me sad.

I think part of the problem was that they tried to crank out the entire game in the very brief window that Dan was in NY. They didn't even get the benefit of the usual daily ER schedule. Not that I expect he would actually like the game regardless, but maybe it would be less soul crushing at an hour-ish per day.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Neither?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think we should expand the Kingdom hearts coverage and the east office can play the offshoot games while the west plays the main entries. Then we can have a cross coast spoilercast discussing the nuance and narrative sophistication of this modern epic.

God, even joking about this feels dirty. And I like the first two games!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I hope they do an Endurance Run 'cause I probably won't be premium again for a while.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they will like shenmue 2 a lot better with the ability to skip time. I hope they do all the yakuza games, 2 so far is the best for me but i had to skip 3 and went straight to 4 which i dont like as much.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they'll do anything with Shenmue 2, but will very likely go into Yakuza. They may go back to Shenmue, when Shenmue 3 is on the horizon, but I don't even think that is guaranteed.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be way into a shenmue 2 run. Yakuza is rad too, but I didn't stick with it for more than a few episodes.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either would be great.

If they play Yakuza again my hope would be that more effort is put into learning some combos and general gameplay first instead of being super frustrated by things that are seemingly simple to wrap your head around with a small amount of attention. I loved the series, but watching Dan get so frustrated over basic mechanics didn't seem necessary.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Shenmue 2 by soooooo much. Yakuza 0 was fun to watch but Shenmue is hilarious. By the end of 0 it wasn't so fun to watch them play with the length of the game and the complaining about gameplay, meanwhile all of the Shenmue ER was brilliant, even the worst moments down the stretch game wise.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like a video series where the people playing the game are actually enjoying their time with the game. One of these franchises allows for that outcome.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yakuza 0 was an actually entertaining game, while Shenmue was a train wreck. The chemistry between the Beast Crew is what salvaged the Shenmue ER but it was definitely tough to watch through at times. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I basically consume all the content that GB puts out, I probably would not have watched through the entirety of the ER (many times I also had it playing it the background while I was doing other things).

Beast in the East, however, never failed to entertain and it the focal point whenever I watched it, it was never just playing in the background. I plan to pick up Kiwami myself, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Beast Crew go through it either. But I understand if they need a longer breather between games and that the series might not pick up again until later in the year.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Beast in the East was probably a better series, but I really do hope that they do Shenmue 2 at some point. You can't leave the epic tale of Ryo Hazuki's boat journey unresolved.

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Yakuza, but I got to the point where I was switching tabs every time a non-boss fight came up and just wanting them to get to the next main story cutscene.

It might be because I also like the ER format better, but I really enjoyed seeing them try to grapple with/get broken by the weird, kind of awful world of Shenmue. Part 16 of the ER is one for the GB history books.

Also, fun fact; the one-year anniversary of the Shenmue ER is in exactly two weeks!

Wink wink.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By glots  Online

Yakuza was good, but Shenmue's more stupid fun (assuming that the sequel is still pretty janky) and I enjoy watching their struggle.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they stopped doing side missions and focused almost exclusively on the main story, the series became pretty bad & boring (because the main story of Yakuza Zero is bad & boring, not because of the Beast gang), so I'm burned out on Yakuza for now. You could tell Dan was fed up with it too so I think they'll let the new Yakuza game marinate for a while.

As for Shenmue, the ways in which it is bad make it fun to watch normal people force themselves to suffer through something that was clearly made for extremely weird people with unlimited free time and nothing better to do than drive a virtual forklift so they can earn the privilege of listening to Xanned out people woodenly mumble awkward dialogue.