Blog #040 - Majora's Mask Poster, Steam Sales, Hitler

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Edited By alistercat

I have almost completed my degree, so I haven't had much time for the site or blogging. I'll post a blog about my graduation show soon, as I managed to sneak in some of my game art (though I didn't get a Pokemon on the gallery wall like I wanted).

Majora's Mask

I was looking at a lot of World War 2 posters and ended up making a poster inspired by these authoritative designs. The message comes from British Air Raid posters that stressed "Be Prepared", but the design is more nuclear warning. In any case, I do a daily design blog and have to make something creative every day, so why not? Here it is:

Please leave comments, I love to read them.

View High Res

Steam Sales

There's going to be a moon and a mask at the Rapture
Oh Gabe...
Oh Gabe...

Valve is making an effort to take money from me all year round, instead of just during the 2 main sale periods. It started with Hoard, one of their new 'daily sales'. 50% is good, right? Then more... and more... and then Ubisoft week hit. I ended up buying some games, some bundles, and gifting a few too. This is not good for someone who is graduating with no job, and who knows when I will be able to find one? I know, I need self control... but they are almost giving some of these games away.

It's one of the biggest joys of PC gaming. Even at retail games are almost half the price of console games but in these digital sales the price doesn't impact my enjoyment or need to play the game in any way. I buy it, and maybe play it a year later. It's both good and bad for my life, my wallet and my hobby.

Hitler

On the subject of the World War 2 posters I was looking at, I found some highly amusing/disturbing Disney cartoons about Nazis and Hitler. The animation is great, and as funny as you would expect but so racist. They don't flinch at trying to demonise the German's and their allies. In a time of war, I understand, but the racial aspect... just doesn't play. In modern middle eastern conflict there is a lot of racial hatred and animosity, but not to this extent. Here they are, for your enjoyment. I still find them amusing and entertaining in the end, just not so much the racism.

Also, I never thought I'd hear Donald Duck say 'Heil Hitler'

Edit: I found some more. These are great. If you find anymore do share them.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alistercat

I have almost completed my degree, so I haven't had much time for the site or blogging. I'll post a blog about my graduation show soon, as I managed to sneak in some of my game art (though I didn't get a Pokemon on the gallery wall like I wanted).

Majora's Mask

I was looking at a lot of World War 2 posters and ended up making a poster inspired by these authoritative designs. The message comes from British Air Raid posters that stressed "Be Prepared", but the design is more nuclear warning. In any case, I do a daily design blog and have to make something creative every day, so why not? Here it is:

Please leave comments, I love to read them.

View High Res

Steam Sales

Oh Gabe...
Oh Gabe...

Valve is making an effort to take money from me all year round, instead of just during the 2 main sale periods. It started with Hoard, one of their new 'daily sales'. 50% is good, right? Then more... and more... and then Ubisoft week hit. I ended up buying some games, some bundles, and gifting a few too. This is not good for someone who is graduating with no job, and who knows when I will be able to find one? I know, I need self control... but they are almost giving some of these games away.

It's one of the biggest joys of PC gaming. Even at retail games are almost half the price of console games but in these digital sales the price doesn't impact my enjoyment or need to play the game in any way. I buy it, and maybe play it a year later. It's both good and bad for my life, my wallet and my hobby.

Hitler

On the subject of the World War 2 posters I was looking at, I found some highly amusing/disturbing Disney cartoons about Nazis and Hitler. The animation is great, and as funny as you would expect but so racist. They don't flinch at trying to demonise the German's and their allies. In a time of war, I understand, but the racial aspect... just doesn't play. In modern middle eastern conflict there is a lot of racial hatred and animosity, but not to this extent. Here they are, for your enjoyment. I still find them amusing and entertaining in the end, just not so much the racism.

Also, I never thought I'd hear Donald Duck say 'Heil Hitler'

Edit: I found some more. These are great. If you find anymore do share them.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This is the most incredible blog ever.

Everything is going right in here.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By sameeeeam

Your designs never disappoint. 

EDIT: That cartoon is bloody amazing.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By alistercat
@LordXavierBritish said:
This is the most incredible blog ever.  Everything is going right in here.
There's something for everyone. 

@Underachiever007 said:
Your designs never disappoint.  EDIT: That cartoon is bloody amazing.
Thanks. I love all the different ways they draw Hitler, but they all managed to portray him as a bit cheeky. Especially the winking painting.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alistercat

I found another 2 videos and added them to my blog. If anyone knows of more do post them here. I want to see them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm confused as to why you placed a bunch of Disney Hitler videos at the end. I'm playing Epic Mickey and I wish that Mickey Mouse had starred in some obscure anti-Hitler cartoon.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alistercat
@Video_Game_King: No need to be confused, it just fit in with my earlier discussion of me looking at world war 2 posters. I then started looking at world war 2 videos and had never seen this Disney propaganda before. Would Ryan Davis have given Epic Mickey 5 stars if you fought Hitler at the end, Wolfenstein style?
Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Parkingtigers

There are also some infamous Bugs Bunny cartoons featuring some bucktoothed Japanese stereotypes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjLfyooJQEc 

Like the new poster btw.  The retro thing has been done to death, but that doesn't stop it being a valid learning experience for you.  This one has a clean simplicity to it that makes it work well.  It's one of your better efforts, well done.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alistercat
@Parkingtigers: it is definitely a wide spread style. Much like fashion, it all comes back around eventually. For me it's more about doing what I enjoy and I'm a big fan of Olly Moss. Since I'm only doing this daily thing for myself I just make things that I enjoy. 

That video is a lot more racist than the ones I posted, but still great animation. Interesting to see what they could get away with doing too.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AlisterCat

I'm not sure why Oswald would bother creating a Hitler in his forgotten paradise, and the game would have become much darker if said paradise included a Hitler.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alistercat
@Video_Game_King: In the build up for the game I think people were expecting it to be a lot darker. Especially considering the reveal magazine cover. Ok, not Hitler genocide dark, but it would have stood out more. I'm disappointed that even games that deal with the subject matter sidestep Nazi iconography and Hitler in general. Namely, Company of Heroes.
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Oh man, that poster is fucking brilliant. Good job!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alistercat
@rudeboy217: Thank you. :)