Borderlands 2 dismemberment and PhysX

doobish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By doobish

So, I've seen a tone of forums lately with people complaining about Borderlands 2 not having dismemberment because I wasn't seeing any myself so I thought I'd see if others had the same issue. Though there are chunks of bandit meat flying out when I get a critical hit with my sniper all the limbs remain intact. I saw some screenshots on these forums of people who had dismemberment working all fine and it appeared that they had PhysX off, so I turned it down to low and the next minute I had midgets with no limbs. Turned it on again and no dismemberment... I myself would prefer to have PhysX on high with no dismemberment because PhysX in this game is stunning. But if you REALLY want dismemberment, put PhysX down to low. I hope this gets fixed soon though, cause I want both!

UPDATE: Alright, I don't know how I didn't think of this before, but I haven't updated my drivers in a few months, that obviously includes PhysX drivers. Intalled 306.23 and bam, PhysX AND dismemberment. UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS PEOPLE.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gutterkisser

It's amusing that the tech feature they've touted in an official trailer (or at least Nvidia has?) is hampering the experience some. As I just mentioned in the other dismemberment related thread, I've been running this at max settings and wondering why the corpses are so jarringly-pristine.

To be honest the PhysX fluids look kinda terrible in this, but I like the particles and debris. Guess I'll try PhysX on Low tonight and hope they patch this soon.

doobish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By doobish

Alright, I don't know how I didn't think of this before, but I haven't updated my drivers in a few months, that obviously includes PhysX drivers. Intalled 306.23 and bam, PhysX AND dismemberment. UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS PEOPLE.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gutterkisser

Hmm mine are up to date, 306.23, although the update said the same or newer version of PhysX was already installed. Good to know it's possible for them both to work though.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I have it on low, and I never seem to get dismemberment other than very rare head pops v.v

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Anund

I don't know why, but I find it kind of disturbing that dismemberment is a key factor to enjoying a game for some people.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AiurFlux

I remember hearing that PhysX performance on an AMD GPU seems to be working better as well because it's offloading it to the CPU, which wouldn't have been an option with dual core systems but with 4 (8 with hyper-threading) or more core systems it runs fine with less of a performance hit than if it was on an nVidia GPU. Which is weird to me.

I've been running it on high because I have an SLI system with two 570's and I really don't care about it. The coolest thing I've seen is water being sucked into 2 singularity grenades and then sploshing out. But it doesn't matter. I don't need dismemberment either though, despite the fact that I have it. I tried running PhysX on high with only one GPU working and was having some pretty brutal framerate drops at times.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shiftymagician

@Anund said:

I don't know why, but I find it kind of disturbing that dismemberment is a key factor to enjoying a game for some people.

I'd have to agree with you. Seems like a weird thing to complain about to me personally. If it didn't work on my computer I honestly wouldn't care as it doesn't hamper my experience of the game.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gutterkisser

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Anund said:

I'd have to agree with you. Seems like a weird thing to complain about to me personally. If it didn't work on my computer I honestly wouldn't care as it doesn't hamper my experience of the game.

In most games I wouldn't care, but I think it rubs against the art style and exaggerated nature of this one. Not a key factor but appropriate for the tone. Either way it's apparently just a bug so everyone wins.

doobish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By doobish

@Anund said:

Well it's not a key factor for me, I still love this game, it's amazing. But it's just an extra nice little bit of fun, it's rather satisfying finding a crazy new gun and then blowing someones limbs off with it (as I just did :P).

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Mcfart

@AiurFlux said:

I remember hearing that PhysX performance on an AMD GPU seems to be working better as well because it's offloading it to the CPU, which wouldn't have been an option with dual core systems but with 4 (8 with hyper-threading) or more core systems it runs fine with less of a performance hit than if it was on an nVidia GPU. Which is weird to me.

I've been running it on high because I have an SLI system with two 570's and I really don't care about it. The coolest thing I've seen is water being sucked into 2 singularity grenades and then sploshing out. But it doesn't matter. I don't need dismemberment either though, despite the fact that I have it. I tried running PhysX on high with only one GPU working and was having some pretty brutal framerate drops at times.

Yeah, no, PhysX still rapes AMD cards since the CPU is generally busy enough without having to do all that extra work. I tried it in Madness Returns and it killed the frame rate.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

Tasteful sensible (and realistic, really) dismemberment adds a lot, especially to a shooter.

And PhysX can be used really really well, sadly it's implementation is this is just like the Nvidia sponsored tessellation in Crysis 2..

(Tasteful dismemberment is my nu-metal band)