• 52 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, after waiting I decided that I needed to snap up a Samsung KS8000 while there will still modeles to be found. I decided to go with an "open box" model for $400 less than a new model. So, I have a 'relatively new' KS8000-SERIES 55". For the 2016 models it was the highest rated non-OLED set; and for $750 ist was a good deal.

Because I was worried about buying an "open box" I specifically bought from B&H Photo in NYC. I figure if anyone has a good reputation for not selling broken stuff it would be them. As I said months ago on this thread, my current tv is so old that anything would have been an upgrade.

• Movies and HDR content should look great.
  • It is very bright which is good for handling reflections and makes the HDR pop
  • And, low input lag even under HDR which is great for playing video games.
  • It is pretty good as a monitor too, so with a cable I could hook my gaming PC

The room I'm setting it up in is well suited for the KS8000's flaws, so some of the small downsides are mitigated in my situation. The good news is that because I bought 2016 tv now and for only $750 I have "whoops" insurance if something in a year to two is better. I still have to set it up, but I have a good feeling about it.

UPDATE:
Works fine, it too about two hours to move my old tv off my tv cart/stand and put the new one on. Sitting on my sofa the center of my 55" is at eye level so it fills my field of view nicely. Netflix on my PS4 asked me to upgrade to HD Netflix for $2 more a month immediately. I could only say, "Well played Mr Netflix, well played indeed!"

FUN FACT: The tv, layed flat, is bigger than my kitchen table.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

My thoughts on 4K after a week.

• The content that is 4K is what makes you say, "Wow". Everything else just looks nice, but only specially made 4K content has that flair.
  • On 2K content it nice no to even see the pixels, you don't get teh HDR or 4K factor, but everything just looks solid.
  • Going from an ancient 1080p tv that has a two to three inch bezel around the screen to one that has a 2/8ths of an inch bezel still is shocking each time I turn it on.
  • People said the Samsung's were cheaply made.... Well, my take is, "Pithel to that sentiment my good man!" The KS8000 is built about as nicely as I could ask, even as a used unit, it is solid as a rock.
  • My TV comes with one of those modern break out boxes for the HDMI and USB sockets, ist nice to have those sockets within reach. Even better, on my setup I could use 1ft long HDMI cables because that breakout box can sit with the stuff.
  • I have yet to sit down and set it up (color, backlighting, etc) but ist looks fine out of the box, yet there's a few tweaks to make.
  • I have yet to watch enough Netflix to know is the "HD Upgrade" was worth $2 extra a month...might never know.
No Caption Provided

I bought this cart last year. THANKFULLY, I saved all the extra parts because my old HDTV and my new one used two different sized carriage bolts and different sized plastic spacers for mounting. Without those parts it would have been a hassle going to the hardware store to get more bolts to fit. Save your extra parts folks!