Can grinding be fun?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

Edited By metalsnakezero

Just recently I been playing Persona for the PSP since 2 months ago and haven't finish it yet. You could say that the reason why I haven't finished it is that I only played it in small section due to its portability since it is on the PSP. That is true but the real reason why I haven't finished it is that I been doing nothing but leveling up my characters and Personas. I have done that in many RPGs like Persona 4, the tales games and even Fallout 3. Many players are turnoff by this type of game playing style but I tend to enjoy it and don't have a confirm reason why I like it. Maybe its the enjoyment of getting to the next level or trying to get a new ability or that the combat is really fun to do that all I want to do is grind.

What do you think?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero

Just recently I been playing Persona for the PSP since 2 months ago and haven't finish it yet. You could say that the reason why I haven't finished it is that I only played it in small section due to its portability since it is on the PSP. That is true but the real reason why I haven't finished it is that I been doing nothing but leveling up my characters and Personas. I have done that in many RPGs like Persona 4, the tales games and even Fallout 3. Many players are turnoff by this type of game playing style but I tend to enjoy it and don't have a confirm reason why I like it. Maybe its the enjoyment of getting to the next level or trying to get a new ability or that the combat is really fun to do that all I want to do is grind.

What do you think?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

I fished in runescape a few years back for like a month, but i haven't played it since.  So i think grinding is ok, but it can ruin a game.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

grinding is ok. i use to play wow for like 2, 3 years. grinding can be fun if u know what to do. sometimes i would grind some monsters alt tab and watch something on computer for a couple of minutes and grind again. other times i had friend to chat with.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

For someone who stopped playing plenty of JRPGs because of all the senseless grinding, allow me to say that it isn't fun.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

I ground the shit out of Demon's Souls.  

Pro tip: listen to the bombcast and everything is so much more fun.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Hot_Karl

I thought you meant "grinding" as the skateboarding term. 

Um...I grind only if it's necessary. And it's usually not fun in any case. 

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By crusnchill

When I first read the thread title, I thought it could've meant one of three things.

Grind-dancing with a hot girl in the clubs, Grinding on a Skate board OR Grinding for experience in a game, generally of the JRPG genre.

Then I saw it was in general discussion and automatically thought: "HELL! NO!" Not unless you really, really want something in a game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

When I get into a rhythm, I like grinding just fine.  I spent countless hours in games like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Persona 3 & 4 and other games doing just that.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Romination

I kinda love grinding. Pokemon I was 80 hours into Diamond when I got to the Elite 4. My Final Fantasy 2 file is 5 hours in and I've done nothing for the story. Final Fantasy 1 I didn't GRIND but I was somehow so overpowered I never even had a problem with Chaos. 

But then when it's something like WoW, it's less fun. I may be odd.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I never mind grinding in RPG's seeing as i go out of my way running back and forth like an idiot sometimes ,  i like going into a fight feeling overpowered.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By sopranosfan

It is in some games if it is done well and you don't have to do it so much that it becomes a major chore.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

If the gameplay is either satisfying enough or enjoyable enough, then yeah. Persona 3 & 4, Borderlands, and Final Fantasy XII all come to mind. 

Though TRPGs can be a mother to grind...
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brunchies

I never find grinding that fun to be honest. 

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By lead_farmer

It depends. I was able to enjoy it on P3 and P4, but the first Persona really tired me out, but it is more of an old-school rpg.  Borderlands I will grind for hours to get proficiencies up.  @Akeldama said:

" Pro tip: listen to the bombcast and everything is so much more fun. "
This is true.
Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive always enjoyed grinding in rpgs as long as its a good one, im also a bit of a leveling up junkie

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Whisperkill

I enjoy the occasional RPG grind from time to time

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ArbitraryWater said:
" For someone who stopped playing plenty of JRPGs because of all the senseless grinding, allow me to say that it isn't fun. "
As somebody who plays plenty of them, I say it CAN be fun. Many times, it isn't, but there are definitely cases where it is fun, like Phantom Brave.
Ishatawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ishatawk

If the girl is hot. And good at dancing. 

It's fun in MMOs insofar as it's an opportunity to chill out with your friends.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad
@VinceNotVance said:
" I thought you meant "grinding" as the skateboarding term.  Um...I grind only if it's necessary. And it's usually not fun in any case.  "
this or that?
@Ishatawk said:
" If the girl is hot. And good at dancing.  "

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Jost1

I found that Final Fantasy 12 was a fantastic game to just grind in because it was fun to tweak the gambit system until it worked as smoothly as possible.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten

It was back in the days where Star Wars Galaxies was, you know, good.  
Cooking, fishing, flying around to different planets and systems to sell your goods. 
Set up a shop in a market place and just wait around for someone to come by and order some of your food. 

OH wait, grinding levels? 
Meh, never had the need to, I just finish Missions/Quests and so on.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Alphiehyr

Grinding can be repetitive.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By TheHT
@Ishatawk said:
" If the girl is hot. And good at dancing. "
lol she doesn't have to be that good at dancing to be good at grinding.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Really depends on the game..  In typical RPG's, I really think it should be avoided.  JRPG's are particularly guilty of forcing you to level up for hours just to beat a single boss.  That's not good game design..  I'm also not keen on MMO's that use it as a crutch to force you to keep playing/paying the subscription.  Yes, I'm looking at you World of Warcraft.

About the only time I really enjoy it is in loot grinding games, like Diablo, Phantasy Star Online or more recenetly Borderlands.  It's not really grinding in the same sense, but the gameplay tends to be rather simplistic and the main goal is to just keep killing enemies to find better loot.  By yourself, I don't see why you'd ever bother, but with a friend or two it becomes very enjoyable.