Can you recommend some newer retro-style fps' available on PC (for a not-so-good PC mind you)?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been playing and on my computer more this week (since Sunday night) because I decided to hook up my PC to my 4k screen, and it has me playing more than I have in a long time. That said, my PC sucks for gaming and I can't get any modern titles that require high or even medium specs. I've been playing older titles like Red Faction, Half-life: Source, Quake 2, NOLF1/2 and Freedom Fighters, or pixelated games such as Owl Boy. They all run well. Last night I decided to try my luck with a title that came out in 2019, Ion Fury, and it runs just as well as those older titles.

So, it got me wondering, what are some newer, great games that I may be able to play? I will mention this, due to my PC not allowing it, I can only play in 1080p, so even though I'm playing on a 4k screen, I'm not getting 4k. I'm still surprised at how good they look playing on this screen though. Something else worth mentioning, I do check the site Can You RUN It, and it said Ion Fury wouldn't play at recommended settings, but it was false. There are only two other games I know of that I could try, please tell me if you think they're worth trying, and then tell me if there are more that may be worth getting.

The first game I know of is DUSK. The other game is Amid Evil. Any others?

Here are my PC specs (hint, not great for gaming).

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

RAM: 4.0 GB

Operating System: Windows 10

Now that you know my specs, and I'm not just into shooters, recommend some newer games from any genre that you think would work and are good. I want them to be PC exclusive, as in, I can't buy them on the Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, or Switch right now. Playing on the TV makes me want to get a new PC.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Brutal DOOM is great. Blood: Fresh Supply holds up. Project Warlock is a really good one, and is pretty underappreciated. Amid Evil has fantastic level design, but I found the weapons to feel kinda shitty. Maximum Action is early access, but seems good.

If you don't mind getting your ass handed to you, Quake Live runs on anything and there's usually a few Clan Arena and Deathmatch servers running.

I think out of all these options, DUSK is my favourite. It has everything a good retro shooter needs; weapons that feel good to shoot, a well paced campaign, great difficulty options and tons of secrets and alternate paths. Also, the soundtrack fuckin' rips.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By Forcen

Painkiller Black, it's real good and all the other sequels and versions are worse from what I hear. Get the old one.

Devil Daggers! Another good one that lasts in short bursts. I have played 19h of that game and my record is 180 seconds or so. This is more of a FPS geometry wars but it is very oldschool FPS, you can shoot in two different ways and you can even rocket jump. It's surprisingly deep and real inexpensive.

Here it is in slow motion:

Full speed:

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have all the old games mentioned. I haven't heard of Project Warlock or Devil Daggers. I tried the Project Warlock demo and think it's cool. I can only get 40 - 60fps (somewhere in the lower 50's most often) if I have everything at max, but resolution at the lowest, which looked alright. The music seems cool. That said, thanks for the recommendations, I'm not sure I am interested in them enough to buy them though. Also, as for Painkiller specifically, my brother is into those games and bought them all. I may try it out, see how it looks on here.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Casepb

Amid Evil is my favorite so far. I've also been playing some Quake 1.5 which is great if you enjoy Quake. Some already mentioned Brutal Doom which is great, I've been playing Brutal Doom 64 recently.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin just entered early access. Also MAXIMUM Action is EA as well.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gundato

You already mentioned Dusk which is definitely my game of 2019 (even if it came out in 2018) and is a contender for top 10 of the decade.

I hear Ion Fury was great, but the devs are complete shitbags and 3DR aren't much better. Will likely skip Wrath for similar reasons unless those devs come out to publicly indicate they aren't shitbags (like with a few devs published by THQ Nordic last year)

It is a bit older and I never got more than ten or so levels in (I think it may lack cloud saves?) but Rise of the Triad (20-something) is pretty great. Suffers a lot more from oldschool level design and key hunting but it is frantic and a great way to remind you how slow paced games like CoD are.

You already had Project Warlock recommended. I keep going back and forth and decided to skip it this sale as the style is great but the gunplay felt pretty weak to me in the demo.

Goes without saying, but Sigil is awesome and very much feels like an evolution of classic DOOM. Get the version with the soundtrack.

cool_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

geebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy Bullets and Void Bastards are a couple unconventional games I would recommend. They both have roguelike elements, with randomly generated levels/paths, but are very different in visual style, tone and gameplay.

I'm not usually into roguelikes, but these two games had interesting visual styles or gameplay mechanics(Heavy Bullets requires you to collect your spent ammo).

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Ion Fury and Hedon last year and both were highlights of that year, great games.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A bit of a lost gem: Rogue Shooter. It's a fun (albeit very simple and sort of unbalanced) Wolfenstein-esque shooter with basic Rogue elements that really slipped under everyone's radar a few years ago.

Still Not Dead is another basic run-based 2.5D shooter that's a lot of fun.

The Rise of The Triad remake is a (janky) blast, but caveat emptor: It'll either run shockingly well (on low settings) or absolutely terribly, regardless of your specs. It's a dice roll.

And yeah, DUSK and Amid Evil are both very much worth it. Amid Evil miiiight struggle on a PC like yours, so keep the Steam refund requirements in mind, but it seems pretty customizable.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

Nice. Thanks a lot for the recommendations, everyone. That's a lot to look into; more than I expected. Cool. I believe I have Rise of Triad? I never played it though. I say 'I' but I take what my brother gets into consideration as well, so he has it, so I can play it. Anyways, thanks again.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: It's not out yet but keep your eyes on Prodeus. It looks very promising. It looks like what would happen if you played Doom 2016 on the lowest settings. It's fast and looks pretty brutal.

Loading Video...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: That looks cool. Yeah, it looks a lot like Doom 2016, or Brutal Doom; probably what it's going for. I'll keep my eye on it, but it looks like a deliberately stylized game that my PC probably couldn't handle, but maybe. Interesting to see all these games come out after Doom 2016.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: It looks like it's using 2D assets for objects which are already made indistinct by having a low resolution so it might work on for lower end PCs but don't quote me on that. I imagine it won't hurt throttling down some graphical settings for that game. Might make it look better.

MikePC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two games that both have fantastic shooting/action are Darkwood and Teleglitch. They're both top down survival horror shooters. Darkwood is actually super intense and would probably be a great experience on a big screen, if you're into that.