Co-op games that use 1 computer?

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, my girlfriend wants to join in on my love of video games but finds me watching her play, not very interactive.

Can you guys think of some games that we can play together on a single computer? I have a ps3 controller that I can hook up to my computer so that the other person can use the keyboard. Her computer isn't good enough to play games. Preferably something not too complicated or violent but I am open to all suggestions. I can only think of the binding of isaac afterbirth.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Castle Crashers. The best local co-op out there hands down, in my book.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magicka 1 and 2, Forced, the entire Trine series, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, Portal 2, Dungeon Defenders, almost every Lego game, Helldivers and Rocket League are all good ones to play together.

Here's a list of Steam titles that have local co-op

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Divinity original sin (enhanced edition).

If you're cool with competitive, then you can pass n play any 4x game too. My fiance and I do that regularly.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time (knock down the difficulty) is really good.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LeStephan

Nidhogg :D

And you dont even have to limit yourself to co-op games it can be surprisingly fun to play a singleplayer game co-op too (a 2p1c 'run' of bloodborne on GT actually gave me the idea to try it), played some random dual stick shooter with a buddy of mine some time ago, one person on keyboard running around, the other shooting with the mouse, it asks a lot of verbal communication to work but it was actually super fun and waaaaaay more doable than expected! ( I should also add that that buddy of mine barely plays any games besides minecraft so its not as if it only works with 2 super hardcore gamers :P)

I could immagine Octodad 2 co-op being pretty great too as that is basically the same, every player controls either the legs or the arms OR the right or the left side. Hilarity ensues

EDIT:oh and Chariot! Chariot is fucking great, especially with 2 people.

EDIT 2: and its only 3 bucks on steam! thats really a must if you are even remotely into co-op platforming games

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magicka 1 and 2, Forced, the entire Trine series, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, Portal 2, Dungeon Defenders, almost every Lego game, Helldivers and Rocket League are all good ones to play together.

Here's a list of Steam titles that have local co-op

If your gf likes plain ol' FPS then Serious Sam is a good choice http://store.steampowered.com/sub/17410/?snr=1_237_querypaginated__106 ~8 USD is a great price, lots of fun. Worms is also a lot of fun. You don't need all of them just get Worms 2, 3 or Armageddon.

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girlfriend and I have had fun with the LEGO games, the modern Rayman games and the isometric Lara Croft games. They should all work well with 1 controller and 1 kb+m.

mbman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem with sig other games is skill sets may not always match up. While I appreciate her attempt to partake, my wife is a noob and I've been playing since before I was potty trained...so neither of us will have fun whilst I kill her repeatedly in Towerfall. Letting her win isn't much fun either.

We have enjoyed Gauntlet and Diablo ]|[ a great deal as our skills can be different and we both have a good time.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Heroes of might and magic. Not sure if the latest one have single player hotseat.

citan359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battleblock Theater - Adorable and easy to have a casual co-op time with.

Jamestown - The best bullet-hell type game I've played co-op, simple controls, easy to pick up, can get a little difficult but struggle brings people closer...

Trine 1,2,3 ... I hate it, my wife hates it, my friend who doesn't play games much LOVES it. Its a more forced, empty co-op IMO but its a pretty game that is nice and casual and its cost practically nothing when on sale. I have tons of fun complaining about it at least.

Tales Of Zesteria - May be worth looking into, if its like the other tales games then one person controls it like a typical RPG game but when you get in battle the 2nd player will have control over one of the characters, its a more engaged watching experience.

Dynasty Warriors 8 -Great if you want a campaign co-op experience. Easy to pick up and play.

And of course... ROCKET LEAGUE

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Scorched Earth is one of the all-time great hotseat games if you can find a clean copy of it somewhere. Obviously pretty rough at this point given that it's like...god, 25 years old? But pretty fun!

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I know you said Co-Op, but Divekick I have found is a fantastic game for people who don't play video games. It's accessible enough where me and my 2 friends who regularly play video games(and had played Divekick a bunch) got our asses kicked by someone who doesn't play games. I would say it's better for groups, but still. It makes a really great drinking game too.

Otherwise, all great suggestions in this thread. I've actually played most of the games mentioned here with a friend and had a great time doing so. It's really probably gonna come down to what she likes and her ability to take in systems. If she just wants to play with you and isn't too concerned about the game, then something like Castle Crashers or Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime would probably be the way to go. If she actually has interest in engaging with the game itself, I would say Divinity and pretty much every RPG is a good mix. Competitive games would be better if you're looking for an experience that puts the game at the forefront.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I just bought Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds. Weird but cool 2d anime beat'em up in the same vein as that Scott Pilgrim game from a few years back. You literally fight dudes who look like cat ears Adrien Brody and Terminator Akuma.

No Caption Provided

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbman7 said:

Problem with sig other games is skill sets may not always match up. While I appreciate her attempt to partake, my wife is a noob and I've been playing since before I was potty trained...so neither of us will have fun whilst I kill her repeatedly in Towerfall. Letting her win isn't much fun either.

We have enjoyed Gauntlet and Diablo ]|[ a great deal as our skills can be different and we both have a good time.

Yeah this is my thought with the more competitive local multiplayer games suggested here. I think she needs some training with controls before she'll find rocket league and magicka fun. We've been playing Life is Strange together with her playing and she's still mastering moving and looking around at the same time. She's not too good at puzzles either or Portal 2 would be great. We're using a laptop too so I don't know how my computer would handle portal 2 split screen but I think I'll give it a shot.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I'll have to look up some of these lesser known suggestions too.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Guacamelee has local coop. And even if I'm mistaken about this, play it anyway, it's a great game.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heroes III

Lethal League

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PsychoPenguin

Echoing the heroes of might and magic 3 recommendations. However, don't get the HD version on steam, get the original game from gog. The HD version doesn't have the expansions.

My friends and I have spent hundreds of hours playing heroes 3 hotseat.

Also, Civ V hotseat.

There is also ways to make left 4 dead 2 split screen on PC if you want to try that: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029890

If you like arcade games you can always get MAME and "find" some roms like money puzzle exchanger, windjammers, contra, smash TV, sunset riders, etc.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blazerush, arcade style combat racing

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I play a lot of 3 player local co-op with my kids (who have very different skill levels) and can also recommend Castle Crashers, Dungeon Defenders and Trine (2 in my case). Dungeon Defenders is nice in that you can choose to focus on the combat or you can focus on the defense building.

We also play a lot of Awesomenauts, which isn't really co-op, but it's 3v3 so we can get our whole team on one screen and play against bots.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The yawhg, Mount your friends , and Crypt of the Necro Dancer all have one pc co-op.