Crawling Through Vents

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

I feel that over the course of the last two days, I've become something of an expert about air ducts.  It seemed that half of the time during playthroughs of Shadow Complex and Batman Arkham Asylum, there was an awful lot of time spent crouch walking through these narrow passageways to destroying my enemies.  Ladies and gentlemen, I think that the last two weeks have offered us one of the best one-two punches for the year since the release of Red Faction Guerrilla and Prototype (whether you liked either of those is entirely up to you). 

I never did get the weak spot on this enemy
I didn't get to pick up Shadow Complex the week of release, as I was on vacation during that time.  Even after that, I still had to wait another three days due to two factors:  being broke and having to open at work.  Therefore, I finally got my grubby little hands on it this past Monday.  Needless to say, this is a shining example of just how amazing the Xbox Live Arcade is getting, and it single-handedly proves that the 2D Metroidvania style of gameplay is nowhere even CLOSE to being dead.  I don't even know where to start:  the ridiculously over-the-top storyline, the solid controls, the supreme badass you end up becoming, the way that endless achievements keep you changing up how you play, or the fact that there actually IS some challenge in the game.  Maybe we can start with the beautiful graphics, showing that Unreal Engine 3 (in the hands of Epic employees, at least) is a marvel to look at.  The best thing is that the game never seemed to suffer from any of the usual texture pop-in that comes with UE3-powered games.  The voice acting is pretty good, in that "this is a Bruce Willis action movie and I'm the fucking man" kind of way.  The use of Orson Scott Card's Empire universe seems to be pretty well implemented - if you've read the novel, you'll know the universe but still see that Shadow Complex is its own entity within that universe.  The only drawback...THE ONLY DRAWBACK...is that the boss fights are fucking weak.  Now, granted, I've only played through the game on an average difficulty, so I can see where some of this shit on Insane difficulty can push a man to ripping his hair out...and maybe his heart and other internal organs.  Nonetheless, Shadow Complex could've been packaged on a disc for $40 and it would STILL be worth every penny.  There's no reason for any 360 owner to NOT have this game in their library...permanently.  Now I just gotta figure out how this New Game Plus shit works...

Now comes the part in the blog where I say "okay, so I was wrong".  I was up at Wal-Mart yesterday, looking around in the Value game bin.  As I stood there holding retail copies of four Fallout 3 DLC packs (everything but Mothership Zeta) in my hands, I started saying "what if the reviews on Batman Arkham Asylum were right?".  I quickly realized that I knew this feeling as I was looking at that Fallout 3 DLC - this is the same way I felt when I picked up Fallout 3.  After spitting venom at that game for so long, it ended up being one of my favorite games of last year.  I asked a representative in the media department (yes, there was ACTUALLY someone over there) if they would price match the Canadian Wal-Mart...and was told they don't price match ANY store, especially their own.  Weird, but okay.  I realized that I can hold out until the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition in October, so I started calling every rental store in town.  Luckily, one store had one copy left.  So how is it? 

It's agreed - our game is awesome! 
Fan-fucking-tastic!  My mind is completely blown by how good Batman Arkham Asylum is.  There's a great mixture of gameplay elements in here:  Splinter Cell stealth, Sands of Time free-form combat, Prince of Persia hold-your-hand-through-the-experience ease, combat challenges like Gears 2's Horde mode, the Bioshock-inspired level designs - the list goes on and on.  It's a sum of all great parts, and all of these parts are implemented well to give you the Batman experience you've always wanted.  You've get to do all of the great things that make the Dark Knight so incredible.  What does it for me is the environment and the combat.  These two are integral to your enjoyment of this product, and the way that they each compliment each other is mind-boggling.  There's something purely amazing about using your grappling hook to zip to a gargoyle above your enemies, hang down from the gargoyle, invert takedown someone, hang them from the gargoyle, get everyone to go check that dood out and get scared shitless, then throw a Batarang from across the room to cut the rope holding the dood up, making it fall on your enemies, then luring them around for a while before glide kicking someone down and smashing his face into the ground...I mean, it just goes ON AND ON AND ON...and it's ALL AWESOME!!!  You know how if you walked into an Awesome Factory, you would see miles upon miles of shelves with the ending to The Mist on them?  Well...Batman Arkham Asylum has now found its way on those shelves as well.  Eidos has finally published a game that deserves the praise it will receive, and you do not have to worry if the review scores are fluffed at all:  Batman Arkham Asylum is a worthy rental, purchase, or simple borrowing from a friend.  No matter which way you paint it...you gotta play this fucking game! 

To end my blog, I finally played BlazBlue.  After months and months of Street Fighter IV, and knowing that I wasn't a huge fan of the Guilty Gear games (great games, but I was no good at them), it was refreshing to play BlazBlue.  Within minutes of picking up the controller, I was busting out combos left and right.  I had no clue what the fuck was going on, but I was busting out combos.  Everything was insane.  Nonetheless, I quickly realized something:  I lost every time I played against my buddy J.R., but I had fun with it EVERY SINGLE TIME!  Street Fighter IV frustrates me when I lose, which is why I've put the controller down for a while.  It's not that I suck at it - I'm a mediocre player at best.  It's just that I hate shoto toons, and I couldn't take the frustration any longer.  Meanwhile, something like BlazBlue captured me in only a few moments.  Needless to say, I want to clock some more time in with it so I can try to find a level of control over its insanity.  By the way, I played as Bang Shishigami.  Sadly, there was no on-screen craziness or loud J-rock playing.  =  (  I will get there eventually. 

Until next time, PIECE! 

P.S. - Jeff, I'll be playing Wolfenstein next week.  Madden 10 ain't touching that Xbox for a while.  = D
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

I feel that over the course of the last two days, I've become something of an expert about air ducts.  It seemed that half of the time during playthroughs of Shadow Complex and Batman Arkham Asylum, there was an awful lot of time spent crouch walking through these narrow passageways to destroying my enemies.  Ladies and gentlemen, I think that the last two weeks have offered us one of the best one-two punches for the year since the release of Red Faction Guerrilla and Prototype (whether you liked either of those is entirely up to you). 

I didn't get to pick up Shadow Complex the week of release, as I was on vacation during that time.  Even after that, I still had to wait another three days due to two factors:  being broke and having to open at work.  Therefore, I finally got my grubby little hands on it this past Monday.  Needless to say, this is a shining example of just how amazing the Xbox Live Arcade is getting, and it single-handedly proves that the 2D Metroidvania style of gameplay is nowhere even CLOSE to being dead.  I don't even know where to start:  the ridiculously over-the-top storyline, the solid controls, the supreme badass you end up becoming, the way that endless achievements keep you changing up how you play, or the fact that there actually IS some challenge in the game.  Maybe we can start with the beautiful graphics, showing that Unreal Engine 3 (in the hands of Epic employees, at least) is a marvel to look at.  The best thing is that the game never seemed to suffer from any of the usual texture pop-in that comes with UE3-powered games.  The voice acting is pretty good, in that "this is a Bruce Willis action movie and I'm the fucking man" kind of way.  The use of Orson Scott Card's Empire universe seems to be pretty well implemented - if you've read the novel, you'll know the universe but still see that Shadow Complex is its own entity within that universe.  The only drawback...THE ONLY DRAWBACK...is that the boss fights are fucking weak.  Now, granted, I've only played through the game on an average difficulty, so I can see where some of this shit on Insane difficulty can push a man to ripping his hair out...and maybe his heart and other internal organs.  Nonetheless, Shadow Complex could've been packaged on a disc for $40 and it would STILL be worth every penny.  There's no reason for any 360 owner to NOT have this game in their library...permanently.  Now I just gotta figure out how this New Game Plus shit works...

Now comes the part in the blog where I say "okay, so I was wrong".  I was up at Wal-Mart yesterday, looking around in the Value game bin.  As I stood there holding retail copies of four Fallout 3 DLC packs (everything but Mothership Zeta) in my hands, I started saying "what if the reviews on Batman Arkham Asylum were right?".  I quickly realized that I knew this feeling as I was looking at that Fallout 3 DLC - this is the same way I felt when I picked up Fallout 3.  After spitting venom at that game for so long, it ended up being one of my favorite games of last year.  I asked a representative in the media department (yes, there was ACTUALLY someone over there) if they would price match the Canadian Wal-Mart...and was told they don't price match ANY store, especially their own.  Weird, but okay.  I realized that I can hold out until the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition in October, so I started calling every rental store in town.  Luckily, one store had one copy left.  So how is it? 

Fan-fucking-tastic!  My mind is completely blown by how good Batman Arkham Asylum is.  There's a great mixture of gameplay elements in here:  Splinter Cell stealth, Sands of Time free-form combat, Prince of Persia hold-your-hand-through-the-experience ease, combat challenges like Gears 2's Horde mode, the Bioshock-inspired level designs - the list goes on and on.  It's a sum of all great parts, and all of these parts are implemented well to give you the Batman experience you've always wanted.  You've get to do all of the great things that make the Dark Knight so incredible.  What does it for me is the environment and the combat.  These two are integral to your enjoyment of this product, and the way that they each compliment each other is mind-boggling.  There's something purely amazing about using your grappling hook to zip to a gargoyle above your enemies, hang down from the gargoyle, invert takedown someone, hang them from the gargoyle, get everyone to go check that dood out and get scared shitless, then throw a Batarang from across the room to cut the rope holding the dood up, making it fall on your enemies, then luring them around for a while before glide kicking someone down and smashing his face into the ground...I mean, it just goes ON AND ON AND ON...and it's ALL AWESOME!!!  You know how if you walked into an Awesome Factory, you would see miles upon miles of shelves with the ending to The Mist on them?  Well...Batman Arkham Asylum has now found its way on those shelves as well.  Eidos has finally published a game that deserves the praise it will receive, and you do not have to worry if the review scores are fluffed at all:  Batman Arkham Asylum is a worthy rental, purchase, or simple borrowing from a friend.  No matter which way you paint it...you gotta play this fucking game! 

To end my blog, I finally played BlazBlue.  After months and months of Street Fighter IV, and knowing that I wasn't a huge fan of the Guilty Gear games (great games, but I was no good at them), it was refreshing to play BlazBlue.  Within minutes of picking up the controller, I was busting out combos left and right.  I had no clue what the fuck was going on, but I was busting out combos.  Everything was insane.  Nonetheless, I quickly realized something:  I lost every time I played against my buddy J.R., but I had fun with it EVERY SINGLE TIME!  Street Fighter IV frustrates me when I lose, which is why I've put the controller down for a while.  It's not that I suck at it - I'm a mediocre player at best.  It's just that I hate shoto toons, and I couldn't take the frustration any longer.  Meanwhile, something like BlazBlue captured me in only a few moments.  Needless to say, I want to clock some more time in with it so I can try to find a level of control over its insanity.  By the way, I played as Bang Shishigami.  Sadly, there was no on-screen craziness or loud J-rock playing.  =  (  I will get there eventually. 

Until next time, PIECE! 

P.S. - Jeff, I'll be playing Wolfenstein next week.  Madden 10 ain't touching that Xbox for a while.  = D
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

I totally agree with you on the boss battles. The fight against the Tarantula in the room that's split into two levels, I spent a long while trying to figure out a pattern because pf the way it leaped at you when you went on the top floor and after a while, I got frustrated and just shelled the shit out of it with grenades and that did the trick far better than I expected so I kept that tactic up for every boss and it always worked.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

PC port wont be here til sep 15, until then: *terrance and phillip style* Fuck you buddy!  

just kidding. glad you're enjoying yourself

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Xandurson

I really want Batman: AA! I loved the demo and the QL on the site made me really want it!

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yeah the Shadow Complex boss fights were weak, and I also did not understand how the hell to "rip out the wires from under its head" on that walker boss.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
@Bigandtasty said:
" Yeah the Shadow Complex boss fights were weak, and I also did not understand how the hell to "rip out the wires from under its head" on that walker boss. "
SAME HERE!!!  I actually got on top of him a few times, but there was never a button prompt or anything.  I just shot the shit out of him with my missiles. 

Also, my first playthrough on that game saw me hitting level 19.  Is that below average, average, above average?  I'm kinda curious.  Also, I fucking RAPED everyone on my friend's list for headshots!  EAT THAT, PUNKS!!!  Metroid, RHCP, DreamKing, Z98...y'all went down like little bitches!!!  WHAT?!  WHAT?!  WHAT?!  I feel obligated to post this video now: 

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#7  Edited By dudacles
@jakob187: Level 19 is average, I think. I ended up on level 18 after my first run-through on Normal.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187

So how does the New Game Plus thing work?  I was going to start a new game on a higher difficulty to continue leveling up, but it said it was going to overwrite the already saved file.  Is that how it works or what?

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Novyx

That boss, you foam both legs, grapple under, and hit B. Repeat two more times. Follow with 1-3 missles. And New+ keeps your level and any perks, but not equipment. It's pretty straightforward. And I played some portions on Insane when bored, so ended the game at 21, originally. Currently at 32.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ProjektGill

It's pretty easy, all you do is start a new game and once you beat the intro thing and get back to Jason (main character) you will be level 19. I'm not even sure if you can go back to level 1 unless you erase the save data. The New Game Plus is automatic. You don't even have to beat the game for your level to carry over which is weird but that doesn't really matter.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187

Alright, I just wanted to make sure because I ended up getting fucked over whenever I started a new game on X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I'm now very weary of developers' abilities to properly implement and correctly explain a New Game Plus setup.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

I played the demo of Shadow Complex and Batman Arkham Asylum two times through and that usually means a buy. I might have to wait for a while, crap, I'm broke... I'm always broke. Good demos though.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Arkham Asylum looks too good to wait for a price drop on.....And this blog really isn't helping me save my money.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
@Everyones_A_Critic: By all means, order it from the Canadian Wal-Mart.  I've been jamming on it all night again so far.  Working on my 100%.  Just finished getting all the Chronicles of Arkham stuff done (and I even did my part by posting up how to finish off the achievement on the actual achievement here at Giant Bomb).  It's definitely a good game.  $60 good?  Eh, I'd say so if you are a leaderboard whore and want all the best stuff on the Challenge modes.  Otherwise, yeah, you could wait for a price drop.  Nonetheless, it's still an awesome game.  Really happy with it.