Dan selling his stuff on first page

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By JordanaRama

I don't see a problem with it. In fact it seems petty to complain about something completely out of his control. Furthermore I don't even see a problem with his tweets about his books posting on the site to begun with. I don't think it's off putting at all personally. I feel like he has every right to mention his own personal projects on his twitter, even if it pops up on the main site. Seems like a silly thing to get up in arms about.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It's Twitter. What do you expect? If you want to know what Dan is doing, then you got it. Whether you like his tweets or not is not Dan's problem. He didn't ask you to follow him. You can bring it to his attention, but since this is a personal preference of yours, I don't think he'll care much about it.

I think you're missing the point of some of these complaints - it's that the tweets are automatically showing up in the front page Staff tweets widget. It doesn't require following anyone, they are just all there.

I don't care about it and I don't see what the big deal is, and I think a better way to handle this would have been to send Dan an email or PM, but whatever. People are so quick on the trigger with these kinds of complaints these days, I'm so over it.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rigas said:

I didn't even know there was a Twitter box on the front page. It's so far down the page, it's basically non existent.

I had to check the page just to see. I always look at the Latest Stories and never notice the stuff on the right.

Am i being unreasonable?

Maybe a bit silly.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I like the Twitter feed, but if I could filter who shows up on it then I would.

It's easy to say "well just go to Twitter then" but this is a feature on the site and it's good if it was expanded upon. There's already a decent amount of splintering going on. Some of the most interesting conversations take place off the site: like Jeff's Tumblr or his daily Mixlr casts.

Personally I really wish more of that interaction was on the site proper.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By nightriff

I don't see any problem with that feature being customization. Maybe something they can eventually implemented in the future? I think it is a little weird but whatever really. I don't typically scroll down that far on the front page anymore so I hardly notice it to begin with.

morelikelames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By morelikelames

There's a certain chrome extension that blocks all content from a certain editor from showing up on the front page. This includes his tweets. (I'll just assume everyone knows about it existing so I don't have name it by name and open that can of worms).

You can repurpose that extention's code to block any Twitter account. Feel free to create your own extension but I thought I'd throw this option out there since it would be much easier for someone who didn't know how to make it from scratch.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

I'm sorry it offends you that Dan has a second stream of income. I don't think Dan has some plot to advertise his books more because he knows his tweets are halfway down the main page of the site. However I do think he's cognizant of his mass increase in followers (I assume) since joining Giant Bomb.

If something this minor bothers you, I worry for you

Groker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morelikelames: Lol whatever are you talking about? What kind of monster would purposefully do such a heinous thing?

ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry it offends you that Dan has a second stream of income. I don't think Dan has some plot to advertise his books more because he knows his tweets are halfway down the main page of the site. However I do think he's cognizant of his mass increase in followers (I assume) since joining Giant Bomb.

If something this minor bothers you, I worry for you

I know right, I don't get why little things like this bug people so much they have to call it out. Whatever I guess back to listening to the podcast I go.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine having a feature to filter certain editors for the twitter box would add to the server load so the next best thing would be the ability to hide the twitter block itself.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@evilsbane: My thoughts exactly.

This is a rather round-about thing to get upset over. Think about it: you're upset that Dan is posting on his personal Twitter the sales offers or numbers of his own novels, which are then picked up by a separate software and posted to a teeny subsection of the site. You're getting a snapshot of the last five tweets made by the Bombcrew, of course there's a chance someone might dominate the space.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Alright, time to put this one to bed. Plenty of people (staff included) have seen the topic and input from both sides has been heard, I think we can safely move on and go back to playing games now.