• 86 results
tkozuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By tkozuch

Yes, I said it. Dark Souls, in my opinion, is better than Skyrim. I know, I know - to most readers, this is sacrilege. Allow me to explain. Read on.

I'm going to break this down into categories here. First, let me be clear, I love Skyrim. But after putting over 100 hours into both games, I just feel that, for me, Dark Souls is the better experience. First thing's first....

Story/Setting

Skyrim - Skyrim is second to none when it comes to sheer scope. And its core, it's pretty straightforward, but the more sidequests you go on and the more people you speak with, the richer the story gets. There are parts that are cheesy, sure. Overall though, there is just so much content here, that it is hard to find any faults with the story.

As for the setting, Skyrim is a huge and detailed place. In fact, this might be the single most striking detail about the game. It's really hard to not be impressed by just how much work went into making Skyrim feel like a real place. That being said - I do feel that the game falls into the quantity over quality trap. Sure, there are tons of places to go, but does it really matter when I am doing the same things no matter where I am. Something else I find telling is the sheer amount of times that I fast-traveled in Skyrim. After a while, the mystique of the setting wore thin, and I realized that rather than take another boring run to Winterhold, I'll just fast travel.

The last thing I want to touch on in this category is the soundtrack. I am a huge, huge, huge fan on music on so many different levels that a soundtrack really does play a huge part in my enjoyment of a game. Music is so subjective, but I will say that the score here is brilliant. The main theme of the game, with its touches of Gregorian chant, is one that sticks with me to this day. In fact, I still listen to the song on my iPod from time to time.

Dark Souls - When it comes to story, Dark Souls is very underrated. When I hear people say that there is no story to speak of in the game, it automatically tells me that Dark Souls just isn't the game for them. As is a theme that you will see throughout all the categories, Dark Souls does not hold the player's hand. If you expect an epic yarn to be spun to you in the form of cut-scenes and voice overs, you will have to look to another game. That doesn't mean there isn't a rich and fully-fledged universe in the game. Again, you just have to want to see it. The story is found in cryptic writing on a dungeon wall, or a brief aside by a seemingly minor character. What makes this more appealing to me, is that it leaves lots of grey area for the player to fill in. Some people might call that lazy writing. But as a writer myself, I know how powerful this tactic truly is. By intentionally leaving some story elements hazy, it allows us as gamers to become a bigger part of the game. It allows us to become our character in a way that Skyrim can never match.

This same tactic can be seen in the game's use of setting. At first glance, Dark Souls seems to just be a very straightforward game. I have talked with many people who don't even consider the game "open-world". With this, I whole-heartedly disagree. The world you inhabit in Dark Souls is one of the most depressing places I can remember playing through in any game, ever. It's steeping in fantasy, but every single place you visit in the game is connected, and connected very organically. Every once in a while, you have an a-ha moment, when you look out into the horizon and see an old dilapidated castle, thinking to yourself "wait....that's the castle I was in 2 hours ago." It's just really amazing how everything comes together almost without the player ever realizing it.

Sountrack-wise, Dark Souls is extraordinary. The game takes the route of being fully orchestrated, dedicated entire pieces of music to each individual boss fight. I said earlier that I still listen to Skyrim's main title song once and a while. I listen to the ENTIRE soundtrack of Dark Souls on a regular basis.

Gameplay

Skyrim - I'll come right out and say it - I hate the gameplay in Skyrim. Honestly, I feel like there is nothing to it. The combat is bland and outdated, and the difficulty level is insultingly low. By the end of my playthrough, I didn't think twice about battling a dragon, the creature that is billed as the most terrifying creature in all the land. My character would calmly walk up to the dragon, while he is being burned by fire, strike said dragon 2-3 times and then watch as he fell under my blade. It all just becomes to routine. There is no strategy. It's just mindlessly mashing on the attack button until your enemy is vanquished. I think it is very telling that every person I know who owns Skyrim spends more time crafting armor at the forge than they do actively progressing in the story. It's just not fun. It took me a long time to admit it (almost 120 hours. yikes!), but the "game" part of this game doesn't do it for me.

Dark Souls - When it comes to gameplay, there is no game that holds a candle to Dark Souls this generation. Not even close. The combat is punishingly, devilishly, sadistically difficult. The first enemy in the game, an undead skeleton, killed me 3 times. The first miniboss, whom I met approximately 30 minutes into my adventure, killed me probably 50 times. This is where most people say "F this, I'm out", and they stop playing. But what you have to realize about Dark Souls' combat is that you actually have to use your brain.

You can't attack an enemy in this game like you would in Skyrim. You have to time your attacks, anticipate your blocks and counters, all while managing your very short supply of stamina. Swing your sword 5 times at your enemy relentlessly, and you will lack the stamina to lift your shield and defend the death-blow that just buried itself in your gut. This probably sounds daunting to a large part of the game-playing public, but let me tell you, I have had no better experience in gaming in all my life, than when I defeated the bosses in Dark Souls. After spending hours dying countless deaths, you start to learn patterns. You start to know your own capabilities. You start to become the main character. You are fighting these bosses, not him. It's amazing.

Conclusion

I've tried to hit some key points here, and I know there was much that I glossed over. Again, I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to discredit Skyrim as a masterpiece. It is. It's one of the greatest games of all time. What I really want to do is to hopefully reach at least one person out there that has played Skyrim and just wants a little bit more. They want to feel just a little bit more attached to their character. They want to feel like every decision they make matters a little bit more. And they want to feel a little bit more. I think that Dark Souls delivers this on every level. Please go find a copy. It should be cheap now. And if you do, I apologize in advance. You will be hooked. And oh yeah, you will die. A lot.

iplayvids.com

tkozuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By tkozuch

Yes, I said it. Dark Souls, in my opinion, is better than Skyrim. I know, I know - to most readers, this is sacrilege. Allow me to explain. Read on.

I'm going to break this down into categories here. First, let me be clear, I love Skyrim. But after putting over 100 hours into both games, I just feel that, for me, Dark Souls is the better experience. First thing's first....

Story/Setting

Skyrim - Skyrim is second to none when it comes to sheer scope. And its core, it's pretty straightforward, but the more sidequests you go on and the more people you speak with, the richer the story gets. There are parts that are cheesy, sure. Overall though, there is just so much content here, that it is hard to find any faults with the story.

As for the setting, Skyrim is a huge and detailed place. In fact, this might be the single most striking detail about the game. It's really hard to not be impressed by just how much work went into making Skyrim feel like a real place. That being said - I do feel that the game falls into the quantity over quality trap. Sure, there are tons of places to go, but does it really matter when I am doing the same things no matter where I am. Something else I find telling is the sheer amount of times that I fast-traveled in Skyrim. After a while, the mystique of the setting wore thin, and I realized that rather than take another boring run to Winterhold, I'll just fast travel.

The last thing I want to touch on in this category is the soundtrack. I am a huge, huge, huge fan on music on so many different levels that a soundtrack really does play a huge part in my enjoyment of a game. Music is so subjective, but I will say that the score here is brilliant. The main theme of the game, with its touches of Gregorian chant, is one that sticks with me to this day. In fact, I still listen to the song on my iPod from time to time.

Dark Souls - When it comes to story, Dark Souls is very underrated. When I hear people say that there is no story to speak of in the game, it automatically tells me that Dark Souls just isn't the game for them. As is a theme that you will see throughout all the categories, Dark Souls does not hold the player's hand. If you expect an epic yarn to be spun to you in the form of cut-scenes and voice overs, you will have to look to another game. That doesn't mean there isn't a rich and fully-fledged universe in the game. Again, you just have to want to see it. The story is found in cryptic writing on a dungeon wall, or a brief aside by a seemingly minor character. What makes this more appealing to me, is that it leaves lots of grey area for the player to fill in. Some people might call that lazy writing. But as a writer myself, I know how powerful this tactic truly is. By intentionally leaving some story elements hazy, it allows us as gamers to become a bigger part of the game. It allows us to become our character in a way that Skyrim can never match.

This same tactic can be seen in the game's use of setting. At first glance, Dark Souls seems to just be a very straightforward game. I have talked with many people who don't even consider the game "open-world". With this, I whole-heartedly disagree. The world you inhabit in Dark Souls is one of the most depressing places I can remember playing through in any game, ever. It's steeping in fantasy, but every single place you visit in the game is connected, and connected very organically. Every once in a while, you have an a-ha moment, when you look out into the horizon and see an old dilapidated castle, thinking to yourself "wait....that's the castle I was in 2 hours ago." It's just really amazing how everything comes together almost without the player ever realizing it.

Sountrack-wise, Dark Souls is extraordinary. The game takes the route of being fully orchestrated, dedicated entire pieces of music to each individual boss fight. I said earlier that I still listen to Skyrim's main title song once and a while. I listen to the ENTIRE soundtrack of Dark Souls on a regular basis.

Gameplay

Skyrim - I'll come right out and say it - I hate the gameplay in Skyrim. Honestly, I feel like there is nothing to it. The combat is bland and outdated, and the difficulty level is insultingly low. By the end of my playthrough, I didn't think twice about battling a dragon, the creature that is billed as the most terrifying creature in all the land. My character would calmly walk up to the dragon, while he is being burned by fire, strike said dragon 2-3 times and then watch as he fell under my blade. It all just becomes to routine. There is no strategy. It's just mindlessly mashing on the attack button until your enemy is vanquished. I think it is very telling that every person I know who owns Skyrim spends more time crafting armor at the forge than they do actively progressing in the story. It's just not fun. It took me a long time to admit it (almost 120 hours. yikes!), but the "game" part of this game doesn't do it for me.

Dark Souls - When it comes to gameplay, there is no game that holds a candle to Dark Souls this generation. Not even close. The combat is punishingly, devilishly, sadistically difficult. The first enemy in the game, an undead skeleton, killed me 3 times. The first miniboss, whom I met approximately 30 minutes into my adventure, killed me probably 50 times. This is where most people say "F this, I'm out", and they stop playing. But what you have to realize about Dark Souls' combat is that you actually have to use your brain.

You can't attack an enemy in this game like you would in Skyrim. You have to time your attacks, anticipate your blocks and counters, all while managing your very short supply of stamina. Swing your sword 5 times at your enemy relentlessly, and you will lack the stamina to lift your shield and defend the death-blow that just buried itself in your gut. This probably sounds daunting to a large part of the game-playing public, but let me tell you, I have had no better experience in gaming in all my life, than when I defeated the bosses in Dark Souls. After spending hours dying countless deaths, you start to learn patterns. You start to know your own capabilities. You start to become the main character. You are fighting these bosses, not him. It's amazing.

Conclusion

I've tried to hit some key points here, and I know there was much that I glossed over. Again, I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to discredit Skyrim as a masterpiece. It is. It's one of the greatest games of all time. What I really want to do is to hopefully reach at least one person out there that has played Skyrim and just wants a little bit more. They want to feel just a little bit more attached to their character. They want to feel like every decision they make matters a little bit more. And they want to feel a little bit more. I think that Dark Souls delivers this on every level. Please go find a copy. It should be cheap now. And if you do, I apologize in advance. You will be hooked. And oh yeah, you will die. A lot.

iplayvids.com

Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that Dark Souls is better than Skyrim. So is Demon's Souls. But I had fun with Skyrim, too.

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By NyxFe

I think you hit on one of the key points that differentiates the two in regards to gameplay - that it is the player who is fighting the bosses of Dark Souls, not the character. Skyrim is essentially a left-mouse button click-a-thon, but in dark souls no matter how much you grind, if you don't dodge those blows from Ornstein and Smough you are going to be crushed into mist. This is what makes it such an enjoyable game for me, at least. Though I still want another sequel combining the difficulty of Demon's Souls and the limited healing of Dark Souls for a real challenging experience.

Throw in roguelike elements and permadeath and you have my perfect game. I guess it's true when people say I'm masochistic.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Dark Souls, but I don't have the time to properly get into Skyrim, so I never played it. So what I guess I'm saying is useless really. But you do have some good points on Dark Souls.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MistaSparkle

I think I enjoyed them both pretty equally. But I don't really feel comfortable comparing them too much because they are very different. Of course both have loot, RPG stuff, dragons, and that's all fine, but there are a lot of different aspects that completely separate the two. The differences are pretty obvious, so I won't go into it, but those differences are what stop me from saying one is better than the other. I wouldn't be able to chose between them. I get where you guys are coming from though.

Gildo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Gildo

I completely agree dark souls is way better than skyrim. Skyrim just doesn't have that hook that older TES games has. They made it way too mainstream way too casual and yes it is still enjoyable but there really isn't any challenge and the little challenge that it has is essentially cheap (like HOF on 2k12 or lag in COD) and it bored me after a while.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By laserbolts

I agree that Dark Souls is better but both games are really great.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I for one disagree sir.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the point you're all missing is that the duder just copy pasted this from his website to get some hits.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McShank

Skyrim and dark souls... actually both souls games are all different style games.. i enjoyed both but i think i enjoyed dark souls more.. i have honestly more hours in dark souls then any game besides Dota and Wow..

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

How do you still have zero posts when you've obviously posted something, OP?

Anyway, despite never having played it I disagree as well on the grounds that I don't agree with some of Dark Souls design philosophy. I've heard a lot of its fans defend its "learn by dying over and over" idea by saying that they never felt like they had an unfair death, but it still makes me raise quite an eyebrow. Gaming as a whole has been trying to move past that philosophy for a very good reason.

Still, this isn't a definitive opinion on my part since I haven't played it. Carry on!

Oh, and one last note that isn't an opinion but is a fact - the two are very different games.

Also, did you get this off of IGN? I don't think you completely copied it but you seem to have gotten the idea from them. That's the shittiest article I've skimmed in a long time, by the way.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hot_Karl

WINNER: DARK SOULS

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By artgarcrunkle

I'll give your a website a hit because you're right, maybe, I guess.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@believer258 said:

Anyway, despite never having played it I disagree as well on the grounds that I don't agree with some of Dark Souls design philosophy. I've heard a lot of its fans defend its "learn by dying over and over" idea by saying that they never felt like they had an unfair death, but it still makes me raise quite an eyebrow. Gaming as a whole has been trying to move past that philosophy as a whole for a very good reason.

Still, this isn't a definitive opinion on my part since I haven't played it. Carry on!

Oh, and one last note that isn't an opinion but is a fact - the two are very different games.

Also, did you get this off of IGN?

Creating a topic does not go towards your post count. Same deal with comments on videos.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Justin258

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@believer258 said:

Anyway, despite never having played it I disagree as well on the grounds that I don't agree with some of Dark Souls design philosophy. I've heard a lot of its fans defend its "learn by dying over and over" idea by saying that they never felt like they had an unfair death, but it still makes me raise quite an eyebrow. Gaming as a whole has been trying to move past that philosophy as a whole for a very good reason.

Also, did you get this off of IGN?

Creating a topic does not go towards your post count. Same deal with comments on videos.

I thought it did? A new topic with no further posts always says that it has "1 posts" so I figured that it counted as a post. Ah, well, no big deal.

Also, this seems to be a subtle ad plug for a website, now that I think about it. Look at the last line.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@believer258 said:

Also, did you get this off of IGN? I don't think you completely copied it but you seem to have gotten the idea from them. That's the shittiest article I've skimmed in a long time, by the way.

I'm more on this guy's side. But I'm talking about Demon's Souls instead of Dark Souls. I beat Demon's Souls by the way so don't say I didn't spend enough time with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I reall couldn't get into dark souls reason being is the story it's lame to me n skyrim main story is kinda weak but it's side quest really make it intresting n fun.I agree that skyrim gameplay is kinda weak. Dark souls gameplay is fun but I really hate that when I die the level starts all over again I mean really I already passed the beginning of the level so y am I forced to pass it again. But yeah lol I just liked the feeling of a world that felt real I guess skyrim just sold it it to me n the gameplay is not great but these games main strength is the world n story's the make it intresting enough to pla through the gameplay

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clonedzero

i cannot, for the life of me. understand why people constantly compare them to each other.

Skyrim is a huge open world RPG, where you can go and do what you want.

Dark Souls is a dungeon crawler. its a glorified dungeon crawler. is there anything wrong with that? absolutely not, its an amazing dungeon crawler.

WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THEM? its nonsense. its stupid fanboy nonsense that pits gamers against gamers for NO REASON. this is worse than the BF3 vs. MW3 comparisons. its ridiculous. why do you care if one is "better" than the other? especially when theres no objective way to measure which one is better.

this would be like me making a huge long blog post saying "Assassins creed is better than God of War!"

this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NegativeCero

I think it's a bit of apples to oranges. I have played the hell out of Skyrim, and I'm currently playing the hell out of Dark Souls, so I don't think my opinion can be fully formed on which I would say is better. I would need some time away from both before that, otherwise I'd probably just pick whichever I happened to be playing at the time-- Dark Souls.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says

So...both games are very different and unique in their own way, but because you like one game's way of doing things better it's a better game?

Makes sense.

Modern Warfare 2 is a better game than Fallout 3. Yes, I said it!

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Deusx

@believer258 said:

Anyway, despite never having played it I disagree as well on the grounds that I don't agree with some of Dark Souls design philosophy. I've heard a lot of its fans defend its "learn by dying over and over" idea by saying that they never felt like they had an unfair death, but it still makes me raise quite an eyebrow. Gaming as a whole has been trying to move past that philosophy for a very good reason.

Well that is your first mistake. You haven't played it. Dark Souls isn't unfair. Dark Souls isn't based on old gaming philosophy or mechanics. Is an amazingly designed game about skill and detailed strategy. If you die it's because you suck or didn't analize the situation ahead.

I agree with the OP. Dark Souls is better than Skyrim and I dare to say the best game this generation. It's a beautiful achievement in gaming history.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Justin258

@Deusx said:

@believer258 said:

Well that is your first mistake. You haven't played it. Dark Souls isn't unfair. Dark Souls isn't based on old gaming philosophy or mechanics. Is an amazingly designed game about skill and detailed strategy. If you die it's because you suck or didn't analize the situation ahead.

I agree with the OP. Dark Souls is better than Skyrim and I dare to say the best game this generation. It's a beautiful achievement in gaming history.

...and I addressed this in my post. I'm not sold.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Vinny_Says said:

Modern Warfare 2 is a better game than Fallout 3. Yes, I said it!

Don't...even...joke...about it!

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deusx

@believer258: Sorry, you're right. I know Dark Souls is a hard sell but if you ever get the chance I really recommend it. Like... a lot. First game I feel I have to defend like the worst fanboy ever lol.

tkozuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tkozuch

Thanks for the comments. I certainly wasn't trying to win a pulitzer prize with this, but it was just something I wanted to address. I also didn't steal a thing from IGN - I'm not a fan of that comment. I also get that people are saying this is like comparing apples to oranges, but come on people. It's not like I'm comparing 2 different genres. In any case, thanks for reading. I enjoy the comments both negative and positive.

tkozuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tkozuch

I'll also say that the title is sort of a cheap way to draw interest, and I apologize for that. This is totally my opinion, and I'm sure there are just as many people out there who disagree with me. I just sort of wanted to put my thoughts out there.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@tkozuch said:

I also get that people are saying this is like comparing apples to oranges, but come on people. It's not like I'm comparing 2 different genres.

I don't know. Mass Effect and Persona 4 are RPG's as well.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy

While they are different games, I can totally agree that I had a much more enjoyable and immersive experience with Dark Souls. Skyrim was shallow - weak and anticlimactic sotryline, only a handful of actually interesting sidequests, tedious combat, terrible loot and equipment, easy to exploit systems (Stealth + bow anyone?), lack of class and character distinction, an overall simplified RPG experience. Dark Souls is the complete opposite of that - deep, rewarding combat, plenty of awesome, unique and USEFUL weapons, stat-based character development to allow for a higher degree of customization, very challenging overall difficulty with excellent atmosphere and setting.

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@tkozuch said:

I also get that people are saying this is like comparing apples to oranges, but come on people. It's not like I'm comparing 2 different genres.

But you have to agree that the Dark Souls style of fantasy is definitely right alongside Skyrim. Both games are attractive to one certain demographic of gamers, and therefore comparisons can be made because of their obvious similarities.

Whereas Mass Effect (1) is a third person RPG hybrid, while 2 and 3 take on the roles of TPS - Persona is intended for an audience even more niche than that of Dark Souls, which actually isn't as niche as people think. Souls sells quite well, all things considered. Also, Souls plays very action-RPG, much like the actiony combat of Skyrim but with more tactics and a different perspective. This is a more Westernised style of game, while Persona has itself an actual, separate battle system and based on menus like traditional Japanese RPGs. Saying that a comparison of ME to Persona is equivalent to Skyrim to Dark Souls is stretching it a little far.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Subjugation

I don't feel comfortable with this comparison.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By PixelPrinny

It's cool that you have that opinion and great that you enjoyed Dark Souls. My opinion is that Dark Souls was a piece of garbage and Skyrim was my GotY for 2011. Different strokes for different folks and so on and so forth.

Also, thanks for just copy and pasting this blog from your site for us to read ;P No harm in it, just made me giggle.

@Clonedzero said:

i cannot, for the life of me. understand why people constantly compare them to each other.

Also, this is a valid point. Apples to oranges. Street Fighter IV is better than Catherine. Discuss. Although, I suppose some people like to bunch any game with swords and sorcery into one big category of "fantasy games" or something. I dunno. I'm just trying to get through Radiant Historia, which I hear is the second coming of Chrono Trigger or something. Sure doesn't seem like that to me. Seems more like a very poorly made game, though I'm only like 20 hours in at chapter 4 so maybe it all turns around in the final act. Hahaha, yeah... I'm only setting myself up for more disappointment by clinging onto false hope... siiiigh.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By evanbower

Tetris is better than Crysis 2. Discuss.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By huntad

Skyrim didn't even keep working properly on my PS3 and I still think Skyrim is a better game. I own both games.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@xyzygy said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@tkozuch said:

But you have to agree that the Dark Souls style of fantasy is definitely right alongside Skyrim. Both games are attractive to one certain demographic of gamers, and therefore comparisons can be made because of their obvious similarities.

Whereas Mass Effect (1) is a third person RPG hybrid, while 2 and 3 take on the roles of TPS - Persona is intended for an audience even more niche than that of Dark Souls, which actually isn't as niche as people think. Souls sells quite well, all things considered. Also, Souls plays very action-RPG, much like the actiony combat of Skyrim but with more tactics and a different perspective. This is a more Westernised style of game, while Persona has itself an actual, separate battle system and based on menus like traditional Japanese RPGs. Saying that a comparison of ME to Persona is equivalent to Skyrim to Dark Souls is stretching it a little far.

That sounds like the only reason people would play those games is because it has to do with fantasy. When the gameplay, how the story is structured, menus, how "leveling" works, the structure of the world, the point of each game, and how online works it's kind of a weak link. There are only three things in common that I can think of. Dragons, rpg, fantasy. I wouldn't even say the style of fantasy is the same in both games.

tkozuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tkozuch

@PixelPrinny said:

Also, thanks for just copy and pasting this blog from your site for us to read ;P No harm in it, just made me giggle.

Is there a problem with this? I just figure that I'm writing it for a blog, and whether it is posted on my own domain or on my personal giantbomb blog, it shouldn't matter. The only thing I could see is that maybe putting my url in the body might be considered spam. If so, I'll stop that. I admit, giantbomb has way more readers than my little blog, so I figure more people can read my pieces. That's all.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Clonedzero said:

Skyrim is a huge open world RPG, where you can go and do what you want.

Dark Souls is a dungeon crawler. its a glorified dungeon crawler. is there anything wrong with that? absolutely not, its an amazing dungeon crawler.

WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THEM? its nonsense. its stupid fanboy nonsense that pits gamers against gamers for NO REASON. this is worse than the BF3 vs. MW3 comparisons. its ridiculous. why do you care if one is "better" than the other? especially when theres no objective way to measure which one is better.

this would be like me making a huge long blog post saying "Assassins creed is better than God of War!"

this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cause they're both RPGs and appeal to the same kind of people. Also, Mario is better than Zelda.

EDIT: Seriously, your reaction there makes you look like a tool.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptBedlam

Yep...

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By weegieanawrench

I don't think they're really comparable, although I did enjoy Dark Souls a lot more than Skyrim. Skyrim is still a great game (I S-ranked it), but I agree that the combat was nothing more than pulling the right trigger and occasionally the left trigger to knock up an arrow. I loved the deep combat of Dark Souls, you always need to be thinking, always ready for that enemy hiding just out of sight. And the lack of handholding makes for an adventure that's all your own.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Doctorchimp

Combat =/= Gameplay....sorry.

That was the one thing you missed. I'll take the feeling Skyrim gives me as I roam through its wilderness and vistas and explore some caves over Dark Soul's combat any day of the week. Don't get me wrong I fucking loved Dark Souls and Demon's Souls even more, but c'mon...Skyrim is a virtual sandbox I'll always be in the mood for.

Also when I played Dark Souls it was busted in spots, it had NPCs glitch out on me, online was a huge step-down from Demon's Souls, and the last third of that game was pretty bad. Like it felt rushed. Fuck Bed of Chaos and that crystal cave bullshit.

The Library was amazing though.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grillbar

dont think you can compare the two but i liked dark souls and demon souls more then skyrim, and i really loved skyrim.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By DeF

your thread title sucks.

:)

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By unchained

My opinion is that your opinion is wrong.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By ShadowSkill11

This whole topic is completely stupid and a re-hash of an old IGN article from six months ago. The TC's whole basic premise is flawed since the games are nothing alike. How stupid would it be if I made a new topic saying Gran Turismo 5 is better than Batman: Arkham CIty? Apples to oranges man.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By plop1920

I agree, dark souls is the better game. I enjoyed Skyrim a lot, and the scope of it's world is incredible, but the gameplay is horrible compared to Dark Souls. It got to the point in skyrim where I just ran up to dudes mashing the attack button, not even having to worry about my health, or on my archer I would just one shot people from stealth. Completely unsatisfying and it eventually lead me to quit the game only seeing maybe half of the games quest. There was just no motivation left if combat was going to be like that. Dark Souls combat on the other hand was always exciting, because even at the end of the game you still feel weak as shit

tkozuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tkozuch

@ShadowSkill11 said:

This whole topic is completely stupid and a re-hash of an old IGN article from six months ago. The TC's whole basic premise is flawed since the games are nothing alike. How stupid would it be if I made a new topic saying Gran Turismo 5 is better than Batman: Arkham CIty? Apples to oranges man.

Sorry you don't like the topic, or that you think I cribbed it from somewhere else. But to say the games aren't at least similar is crazy. Comparing two action heavy games, set in a fantasy world, where you fight monsters with magic, swords, axes and bows is nothing like comparing a racing game to an action game. Sorry, I'm not sure if you understand what apples to oranges really means.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bighat_logan

true

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree.

Also isn't this just advertising since he pretty much just copy-pasted this and then posted a link to a (probably his own) website?