Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@tkozuch said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

This whole topic is completely stupid and a re-hash of an old IGN article from six months ago. The TC's whole basic premise is flawed since the games are nothing alike. How stupid would it be if I made a new topic saying Gran Turismo 5 is better than Batman: Arkham CIty? Apples to oranges man.

Sorry you don't like the topic, or that you think I cribbed it from somewhere else. But to say the games aren't at least similar is crazy. Comparing two action heavy games, set in a fantasy world, where you fight monsters with magic, swords, axes and bows is nothing like comparing a racing game to an action game. Sorry, I'm not sure if you understand what apples to oranges really means.

Haha. Whatever kid. After that I don't even think you played both games. There gameplay is not similar at all.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By kgb0515

Sheesh! Lot's of animosity over this thread. I personally don't care if this is reposted from the OP's website or not, but there are obviously some similarities between these games at the core. However, they are fundamentally different philisophically. Skyrim is built as a showcase for it's own mythology which it pulls of wonderfully with visual flair and copious amounts of lore, whereas Dark Souls is a skill/endurance game. They both share similar content, but each has its own distinct flavor.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By pweidman

They are very different games, and scratch some different rpg itches. That said, overall I agree about DS............and oh yeah it's not a bug/glitch/jank fest :/.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By strainedeyes

I agree. Dark Souls was a huge surprise to me, and I can't get enough of it. The open world, the combat, the challenge. I really like Skyrim, but it is a bit of a bore to play and doesn't have much variety.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Gabriel

I think I liked the Demon's Souls soundtrack better than Dark Souls, save for the Gwyn piano theme I though the soundtrack was kinda weak.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By Jeust

Not my type of games, but I enjoyed the write-up.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I agree. I think Dark Souls is better than Skyrim.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Example1013

Skyrim has more dragons, instant win.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#59  Edited By alistercat

Good for you? No, seriously. Great. Have fun.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By yyZiggurat

Skyrim is a lot more accessible than Dark Souls but FromSoftware didn't put out a broken product.

@Example1013 said:

Skyrim has more dragons, instant win.

Those are Wyverns, nice try.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#61  Edited By JasonR86

@tkozuch: Good for you.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Example1013

@HomemadeZiggurat: Are you stupid? If Dark Souls has zero dragons, Skyrim still has more dragons.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CptBedlam

@Example1013 said:

@HomemadeZiggurat: Are you stupid? If Dark Souls has zero dragons, Skyrim still has more dragons.

Dark Souls has better dragons. Quality > quantity.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By PixelPrinny

@tkozuch said:

@PixelPrinny said:

Also, thanks for just copy and pasting this blog from your site for us to read ;P No harm in it, just made me giggle.

Is there a problem with this? I just figure that I'm writing it for a blog, and whether it is posted on my own domain or on my personal giantbomb blog, it shouldn't matter. The only thing I could see is that maybe putting my url in the body might be considered spam. If so, I'll stop that. I admit, giantbomb has way more readers than my little blog, so I figure more people can read my pieces. That's all.

As I said,

No harm in it, just made me giggle.

Though sometimes it's a fine line what can be considered copy/paste spam and what isn't in regards to cross-posting reviews and such. If it's basically seen as advertising for another site, then yeah it's frowned upon. But honestly, I don't really see that being the case with this and it suits the forums just fine imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I like another game more then another game.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By DaemonBlack

I like apples more than oranges.

But really, I disagree. 40 hours into Dark Souls and Hated 80% of it. 400 into Skyrim and love almost every second of it. Nuff said.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Example1013

@CptBedlam said:

@Example1013 said:

Except skyrim has infinite dragons, while Dark Souls only has a set number, so the value of the quantity outweighs the value of the quality by being unquantifiably large.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By bighat_logan
@Example1013 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Example1013 said:

Except skyrim has infinite dragons, while Dark Souls only has a set number, so the value of the quantity outweighs the value of the quality by being unquantifiably large.

but the dragons in dark souls are bigger than the skyrim ones
Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi thank you for sharing your unique and valuable opinion about how in your mind two experiences that really have nothing to do with each other are directly comparable.

Please see the other blogs/posts with the exact same title most of which actually were created near the release of these two games which despite the uselessness of their content gives them a level of relevance that your blog sorely lacks.

I will forever be confused by the need of, "Dark Souls Evangelists" to say that their Focused Corridor Crawler is inherently superior to an Open World Fucking Around Simulator.

Despite the monicker of RPG, a labyrinthine genre definition that is in a constant state of disintegration under the weight of so many game-play conventions, these are fundamentally different experiences to be enjoyed on their own merits. A comparison only serves to put both examples in a negative light as it places emphasis on areas of the game and world that were not design priority.

Anyone on this train with me? Or am I heading off this cliff alone with no-one to hold onto as I sink further into the inky veil of annihilation.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AxleBro

MY GAME IS BETTER THAN YOUR GAME!!!

but yea i dunno i like both.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Karkarov

Wish you had played Demon's Souls then at least as far as sound tracks go. I laugh when I hear compliments for Dark Souls OST, it is actually pretty average for a from software RPG. Outside of a few exceptional stand outs like Lord Gwynn's theme it loses hands down to Demon's Souls.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Trilogy

I respect your opinion but I'm sorry... Skyrim is the far superior game. Herp derp opinions are different ect ect.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Example1013

@bighat_logan said:

@Example1013 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Example1013 said:

You can change the size of the dragons in skyrim, so that's not a universal truth.

bombastius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By bombastius

you make a compelling case truly but i think the games are really too different too truly compare in this manner, I like both but in rather different ways. Dark souls and its predecessor do probably have the best realized combat system for an action RPG with swords and sorcery that has to my knowledge ever been conceived. It tough and diabolical , but its fair in that all the tricks you can be killed and die of you can in turn inflict upon your enemies. It also gracefully sidesteps the wacking fest that is Skyrims game play. After completing skyrim i also have serious problem with dis encouragement whenever i reach max level on a skill, I think there's a real flaw there in the TES way in that you only level by using your skills because once you have mastered one there's no reason to use it anymore. The great strenght that TES game have though is thriving mod community and ability to change its game play more to you own tastes once the game been out for a while . Of course if you play it on console this is moot , but still something I like and if Dark souls gets even half of that community and support in the end i will gladly buy it a second time for PC.

But to re iterate I don't think that a true comparison can be made of these games since they are so different in many ways. Now how about an awesome mix about it , blow up dark souls world to the size of skyrim , or even half with all that entails , imagine random elder dragon swooping down on you when your making your way to vendor , campfires, think about it . The horror , the glory!

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Living_Monstrosity said:

I agree that Dark Souls is better than Skyrim. So is Demon's Souls. But I had fun with Skyrim, too.

I like Dark Souls more than Demon souls for some reason. But agreed over all Dark Souls is better than skyrim...

Even if skyrim is awesome.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By bighat_logan
@Example1013 said:

@bighat_logan said:

@Example1013 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Example1013 said:

You can change the size of the dragons in skyrim, so that's not a universal truth.

Well real skyrim not moded skyrim
SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SlashDance

It's a strange comparison to make, but okay.

thomascaret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By thomascaret

Skyrim was alright but for me at least, was too buggy to finish. After high enchanting and heavy armor skills I was one-hitting everything in the game with my fists and somehow made all of the "critical" npc's aggress me permanently so I couldn't talk to them.

Although, I feel like I need to hate Skyrim after a lot of the lying that went on before the game was released. So maybe I'm bias and didn't take it's brokenness in stride.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@tkozuch said:

Yes, I said it. Dark Souls, in my opinion, is better than Skyrim. I know, I know - to most readers, this is sacrilege. Allow me to explain. Read on.

Shogun 2 was better than both. Had the best graphics as well. Didn't get the praise it deserved due to not being a dude bro console game casual people can play.

Having a diffrent opinion should not be a taboo. The gaming media more or less manufactures opinions for masses.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Demon's Souls was better than Dark Souls

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is another perfect example of a minority opinion being overrepresented on the internet. If people like Dark Souls, that's all well and good, but I don't think saying it's better than a totally different kind of very popular game makes anyone cooler or more hardcore than everyone else (not that most people in this thread did that). I also really disagree with the story point in the OP. I think a really well done story that is at the forefront of a game also steeped in a great lore-filled universe is far more interesting than a story that you actively have to search for that isn't even all that fleshed out when you do find the hidden story beats.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I am going to go with Skyrim. I played the original Demon Souls for a bit and got bored with it after a while and I played Dark Souls for only a day. Skyrim just felt more alive and fun to me. I found Dark Souls to be really really boring. It wasn't because it is hard or that I am impatient I just found that shit boring. I also think the two are totally different games and would love to see if the developer of Dark Souls could pull off a game with the scope of Skyrim. You want to talk hard get back at me when you beat the speeder bike level in Battletoads on the NES.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Example1013

@bighat_logan said:

@Example1013 said:

@bighat_logan said:

@Example1013 said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Example1013 said:

Well real skyrim not moded skyrim

Depends on what you mean by mod. It's a simple console command, so anyone who owns skyrim can do it.

bighat_logan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By bighat_logan
@President_Barackbar said:
This thread is another perfect example of a minority opinion being overrepresented on the internet. If people like Dark Souls, that's all well and good, but I don't think saying it's better than a totally different kind of very popular game makes anyone cooler or more hardcore than everyone else (not that most people in this thread did that). I also really disagree with the story point in the OP. I think a really well done story that is at the forefront of a game also steeped in a great lore-filled universe is far more interesting than a story that you actively have to search for that isn't even all that fleshed out when you do find the hidden story beats.
Well your wrong on it not being fleshed out, there is insane detail put into pretty much everything. The mystery is what makes anything interesting, in just in dark souls but in anything.  For example before the prequels for star wars came out. Obi-wan mentions the clone wars offhandedly.  Then you'd thing "Hmmm what were the clone wars?" thus getting you interested. 

In games like Skyrim, dragon age, mass effect, and kingdoms of amular, if you have a question about anything at all just look in your codex. While it is still interesting to read some of that stuff, it's not very thought provoking.
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NegativeCero

I just watched EpicNameBro's lore videos on Dark Souls, and I have to say that I'm impressed at the amount of story they've managed to pack in. I also love that each NPC has their own agenda and you can't just take what they say at face value. At the same time, I could see how people would call it bad writing that it isn't apparent.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By GioVANNI

I think Dark Souls is better than most games last year.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Yeah, this isn't a comparison worth making. Also, the way those fucking zombies jump is janky as shit. And stuff.

Though, shit does break pretty well, so that's awesome.

And OP, why the fuck were you playing skyrim on the default difficulty? Either you went out of your way to make your character extremely potent or you were on the default difficulty if you were smacking down dragons that easily. Kinda unfair to say "too easy!" when you could have easily made it harder. I played it on the hardest difficulty and it was really enjoyable and quite challenging.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By dichemstys

I find Dark Souls more interesting than Skyrim.