Did Patrick Klepek leave Kotaku?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Patrick hasn't shyed away from video, though! He has a youtube channel where he puts out regularly entertaining content, as well as his editorial thinkpieces in text. He has a place somewhere that isn't that fucking cesspool that Gawker is, and I'd hate for him to be on board when they inevitably collapse.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I generally enjoy reading Kotaku and io9, but the rest of Gawker is such trashy stuff. It doesn't surprise me at all that they posted this article. I don't think Patrick would leave Kotaku though because I think its the best place for him to be able to do his style of investigative journalism.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes leaving the relative stability of a place like Giantbomb seem even more baffling.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

When your bosses up fuck up. You really can't say stuff about it without putting your job at risk, no matter how much you want to.

He's not working for Gawker's main base, but it's connected so you can't really avoid that stuff. I've liked a lot of the stuff he's written over there though

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He will probably bounce before the year is done. Gotta get that new job before you put your two weeks in.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sergio said:
@bceagles128 said:
@sergio said:

@bceagles128:

1. The guy wasn't in the public eye.
  2. The guy wasn't "out," so Gawker basically outed him.
  3. Their source was someone trying to blackmail him.

So Gawker outed a gay (or bi) person who isn't a public figure and basically abetted a blackmailer in outing him. The person didn't even go through with it, which is partly why the blackmailing was going on.

If you don't understand the outcry...

The only one of those that I think is unique to this story, as opposed to other gross pieces that Gawker runs on the daily is #2. And that's kind of my point.

I think you completely fail to note that this guy wasn't in the public eye. He wasn't a hypocritical politician speaking out against gay people. He's not a celebrity that gossip sites like Gawker bother with. He, himself, wasn't in any way famous or of any note, other than being related to someone else that was more in the public eye. About the only thing that makes him noteworthy is that he works for a Gawker competitor. I guess that might elevate him to "high enough profile" for you if this was intended as a hit piece, and it may have been. Otherwise, he's only a CFO, not a CEO or president, and he hasn't committed any crimes. He's a tiny blip on the radar for the vast majority of people.

Real journalists generally have no problem publishing material that might have involved shady dealings as long as it serves a purpose. The problem here is that this piece serves no public purpose and involved assisting a blackmailer.

All three things are unique to this story, but I will admit that the second is the biggest issue of the three for most.

He was something much worse though. He was management in a competing business.

Gawker is morally bankrupt, but that's hardly news. It's no different from TMZ or any other gutter press gossip site.

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By mongoose

Does anyone have a good idea as to why Patrick left GB? It seemed a perfect fit for him

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mongoose: if i remember correctly he said that he wanted to do more of the kind of written reporting he used to do, and kotaku would be a better fit for that stuff. also moving to chicago.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nardak said:

Most gaming websites are becoming more oriented towards doing video content than writing about games in general. I personally dont really read game reviews anymore since I can get a better idea about a game from watching a quick look or from watching a twitch streamer play the game.

I think that Kevin Van Ord leaving Gamespot is a sign that the site is moving heavily towards content that has less to do with the traditional game journalism. A few months back Gamespot also fired a couple members of its staff who didnt appear that frequently in their video content and usually did traditional game reviews. Since then Gamespot has outsourced most of its game reviews. People like Danny O´Dwyer are the kind of game journalists that gaming sites want to hire these days.

The problem that Kotaku has is that it is a site that relies very heavily on the written word. In order to get people interested in the content the staff has to come up with very catchy titles. This can lead to some very clickbaity titles in order to generate views.

While I can understand that Patrick couldnt continue working for Giant Bomb while living in Chigago since Giant Bomb is a site that relies heavily on creating content in collaboration with other staff members. It still is sad to see Patrick kinda disappearing into a site like Kotaku which produces a lot of news that is just kinda copy & pasted from other gaming sites. But as other people have said I also believe that writers who want to write about games dont really have a lot of choiche when it comes to employment. Especially if you want a decent salary.

Wait Kevin Van Ord leaving must have happened fairly recently?!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#62 FinalDasa  Moderator

Patrick did not leave Kotaku. This thread has out lived it's function and is quickly becoming a place to either bemoan Gawker or speculate wildly about many topics.