Disrespecting Video Games

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

I’ve had very little time for blogging lately, and if there was someone out there expecting some kind of regularity, I apologize. I’ve just been really busy lately coordinating The Irregulars, and now that we’re on the topic I’m pleased to say the first episode should be going up Saturday afternoon (EST). 

But this entry isn’t about that. Just because I’ve been buried in organizational work doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about games. In fact, I’d go so far as to say I’ve been thinking about them a lot. Particularly I’ve been pondering our relationship, as a consumer-base, with the games we so enjoy. Though we could rattle off the accomplishments of video games in the last decade or so as if they were scripture and treat some titles with what some might call undue reverence, we have no real respect for the games we play.

Though it certainly isn’t the extent of it, our disregard for video games and the systems they implement starts as early as achievement points. Now, I’m not going to say that Microsoft’s achievement system is flawless or that it ever has ever been, but right out of the proverbial gate it seems the XBOX Live community (which, like it or not, we all belong to) found the quickest way to bastardize, manipulate and strip the system of what little meaning it held to begin with via glitches and in-game exploits. Even that relatively minor facet of our hobby couldn’t be left unspoiled. Better yet, we then clamor for Microsoft to save the system they created for us. From ourselves

Somebody read that and said, “Well he just listened to this week’s Bombcast.” And while you’re right, that’s not where this thought originated. Actually, it started when I was talking to a friend of mine about MMOs and why they haven’t worked in a big way since Everquest and, naturally, World of Warcraft. 

I can’t say for sure what’s causing the MMO genre to stagnate (I’m not sure anyone can point at just one reason), but I can say that players continue to do there what they have done so well to other genres: hundreds of in-game mods exist, things that might have started with the good intention of expediting the playing process, but that ultimately end up stripping the game play of any significance it had, reducing it to an exercise in minimap usage and left-mouse-clicking. 

Surely there are some that have been playing WoW long enough to remember a time without mods, but I think for most that’s a bygone era only talked about now by a handful of crusty old level 80s between reminiscing about when Naxxramas was still fun (and by extension, when WoW was still fun). It’s gotten to the point in these games that they cannot be played out of the box unless you plan on playing largely by yourself (at which point you’d be better off playing an offline RPG). 

Guilds today (particularly the more “prestigious” raiding guilds) often require you to have a certain number of mods installed before even considering you for membership, and if that isn’t enough to force you into destroying the game for yourself, you’ll eventually cave under the pressure provided by the griefers and elitists who sneer at any that haven’t yet conformed to their style of play. 

As if further proof was needed of our inability to preserve the games we play and love, the outrage around Infinity Ward’s decision to remove dedicated servers from the hotly anticipated Modern Warfare 2 was swiftly followed by a myriad of game-breaking exploits employed by the players. Bafflingly, many were quick to blame developer Infinity Ward, claiming they should have filled the cracks, that the game should have been more airtight, that its networks should have somehow been hermetically sealed from all outside interference. 

A reasonable comparison would be a spoiled child receiving a gift that, while perhaps not everything they asked for, was still enjoyable and to be appreciated; instead, the child proceeds to snap the toy into several different pieces and then demand that the now-indifferent parent pick them up and reassemble them. And let’s not forget the inevitable temper tantrum once the parent refuses, leaving the child with only the broken pieces to play with. 

Someone might have read that last paragraph and said (with an appropriate sense of entitlement), “but game developers aren’t our parents! I paid good money for that game! I should be able to do what I want with it!” and this baffles me, because by that logic if you bought a fully-functional brand new car, your first step would be to drive it off a cliff because you “have a right to,” and any delicious hamburgers purchased had better have pickles on it or it'll be going in the nearest puddle. Maybe it’s time for us, as a consumer-base, to grow up. 

Thanks for reading, 
End_Boss. 

P.S. If you actually read all that, you are a gentleman (or gentle lady) and a scholar.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

I’ve had very little time for blogging lately, and if there was someone out there expecting some kind of regularity, I apologize. I’ve just been really busy lately coordinating The Irregulars, and now that we’re on the topic I’m pleased to say the first episode should be going up Saturday afternoon (EST). 

But this entry isn’t about that. Just because I’ve been buried in organizational work doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about games. In fact, I’d go so far as to say I’ve been thinking about them a lot. Particularly I’ve been pondering our relationship, as a consumer-base, with the games we so enjoy. Though we could rattle off the accomplishments of video games in the last decade or so as if they were scripture and treat some titles with what some might call undue reverence, we have no real respect for the games we play.

Though it certainly isn’t the extent of it, our disregard for video games and the systems they implement starts as early as achievement points. Now, I’m not going to say that Microsoft’s achievement system is flawless or that it ever has ever been, but right out of the proverbial gate it seems the XBOX Live community (which, like it or not, we all belong to) found the quickest way to bastardize, manipulate and strip the system of what little meaning it held to begin with via glitches and in-game exploits. Even that relatively minor facet of our hobby couldn’t be left unspoiled. Better yet, we then clamor for Microsoft to save the system they created for us. From ourselves

Somebody read that and said, “Well he just listened to this week’s Bombcast.” And while you’re right, that’s not where this thought originated. Actually, it started when I was talking to a friend of mine about MMOs and why they haven’t worked in a big way since Everquest and, naturally, World of Warcraft. 

I can’t say for sure what’s causing the MMO genre to stagnate (I’m not sure anyone can point at just one reason), but I can say that players continue to do there what they have done so well to other genres: hundreds of in-game mods exist, things that might have started with the good intention of expediting the playing process, but that ultimately end up stripping the game play of any significance it had, reducing it to an exercise in minimap usage and left-mouse-clicking. 

Surely there are some that have been playing WoW long enough to remember a time without mods, but I think for most that’s a bygone era only talked about now by a handful of crusty old level 80s between reminiscing about when Naxxramas was still fun (and by extension, when WoW was still fun). It’s gotten to the point in these games that they cannot be played out of the box unless you plan on playing largely by yourself (at which point you’d be better off playing an offline RPG). 

Guilds today (particularly the more “prestigious” raiding guilds) often require you to have a certain number of mods installed before even considering you for membership, and if that isn’t enough to force you into destroying the game for yourself, you’ll eventually cave under the pressure provided by the griefers and elitists who sneer at any that haven’t yet conformed to their style of play. 

As if further proof was needed of our inability to preserve the games we play and love, the outrage around Infinity Ward’s decision to remove dedicated servers from the hotly anticipated Modern Warfare 2 was swiftly followed by a myriad of game-breaking exploits employed by the players. Bafflingly, many were quick to blame developer Infinity Ward, claiming they should have filled the cracks, that the game should have been more airtight, that its networks should have somehow been hermetically sealed from all outside interference. 

A reasonable comparison would be a spoiled child receiving a gift that, while perhaps not everything they asked for, was still enjoyable and to be appreciated; instead, the child proceeds to snap the toy into several different pieces and then demand that the now-indifferent parent pick them up and reassemble them. And let’s not forget the inevitable temper tantrum once the parent refuses, leaving the child with only the broken pieces to play with. 

Someone might have read that last paragraph and said (with an appropriate sense of entitlement), “but game developers aren’t our parents! I paid good money for that game! I should be able to do what I want with it!” and this baffles me, because by that logic if you bought a fully-functional brand new car, your first step would be to drive it off a cliff because you “have a right to,” and any delicious hamburgers purchased had better have pickles on it or it'll be going in the nearest puddle. Maybe it’s time for us, as a consumer-base, to grow up. 

Thanks for reading, 
End_Boss. 

P.S. If you actually read all that, you are a gentleman (or gentle lady) and a scholar.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Virago

Bahahaha, drive a car off a cliff.... Yeah I agree to an extent; I don't think it's reasonable for users to get all huffy whenever there's a flaw in a game; Obviously when the game breaks during normal use, that's unacceptable, but there's no way a designer can foresee every single way the game can be used and debug it accordingly. Maybe I just don't know enough and it really is the developers laziness, but the user should take some responsibility themselves.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti
Ooooh juicy, where to start :)
Bit of a bleak outlook there mate. I have to say that I don't quite share your views fully, so lets get this rolling.

@End_Boss said:

Though we could rattle off the accomplishments of video games in the last decade or so as if they were scripture and treat some titles with what some might call undue reverence, we have no real respect for the games we play.

Maybe other don't , but I for one certainly have great respect for well done and entertaining games. Just recently stuff like DA:O, ME2, Batman, while I do not think these games are pinnacles of the industry I thoroughly appreciate the work and love that was put in them. Even a game like MW2 can be respected for what it does and how fun it's multilayer can be when it's working. While I may not represent the general opinion, take heart in the fact that there are people who now the value of a good thing be it game or otherwise.

@End_Boss said:  

No, not all of us belong to the XBOX Live community . There are plenty of PS3 players out there and PC gamers and even people who play on the 360 but have no interest or participation in the XBOX Live community. Complete fallacy.
Cheaters were always present in computer games, I fail to see how people thought that the achievement system would be immune.
Also please don't speak of achievements like the last bastion  unspoiled ground in the sea of dirt. People put too much faith and too much emphasis on the system flawed from the beggining who now got bitten by it have no sympathy from me at all, like absolute 0, -274C degrees here buddy.

@End_Boss said:  

WoW is long in the tooth, liek really efin LONG in the tooth. The game is what 6 years old now? I only recently stopped playing myself.
Yes I do remember WoW without mods. I even play it without mods mostly when leveling alt's as theere is no need for them outside of serious PvP and endgame PvE content. The game can be played out of the box with no problems.
  "when Naxxramas was still fun (and by extension, when WoW was still fun) " - sorry but that is just ignorant gospell and urban legend perpetuated by people who think they are hot shit to have done the first Nax (i was there), you think the new Nax was easy? SURFUCKINPRISE it was meant to be, if people want fun challenging content there are Heroic modes out there for you in Ulduar and Icecrown.
I also fail to see how some raiding mods suddenly destroy the game, if you don't like them most of them can be made unobtrusive to only run in background.
If you cave in under the "pressure" from people on the internet then sorry but ... lulz. I constantly ran leveled, pvped and raided in the way that I liked, whether or not it was considered the optimal build/gear/blahblah so did many of my friends. Also you can find many friendly and easygoing guilds that still manage progression. Who are these griefers you are talking about? World pvp? Oh man, wake up and smell the pheromones, fair world pvp died a looong time ago in WoW, like start of BC.

@End_Boss said: 

If irony was made of strawberries we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.
You know why people bitched about dedicated servers? One of the biggest reasons (not the only one) was precisely shit like cheating. If MW2 had dedicated servers the host of a server could instantly kick a cheater out and ban him from said server. Community could be regulated by the community. In MW2 it can't be. If dedicated servers were freely available it wouldn't really matter if the game had exploits because people using them could be insta banned and they would not impact the flow of the game.
Infinity Ward reaps what is sew.

@End_Boss said: 

That's not a reasonable comparison at all, how is it a gift if you pay for it? It's a consumer product just like any other, like a book or a film or a dvd player. If a product does not perform properly people will complain (whether they are in the right or not) games are not exempt.

@End_Boss said: 

Thanks for reading, End_Boss.  P.S. If you actually read all that, you are a gentleman (or gentle lady) and a scholar. "
Here I agree. Whiners will be whiners.  The PC crowd warned people that shit like this could happen without community support. People did not listen and now they are crying, once again 0 sympathy for them.
Burger experts told everyone that: dudes be warned pickles here smell funny, they might look good but when it's time to go to the shitter you might have problems.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Red12b
@Tennmuerti:  

If irony was made of strawberries we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now. 
You know why people bitched about dedicated servers? One of the biggest reasons (not the only one) was precisely shit like cheating. If MW2 had dedicated servers the host of a server could instantly kick a cheater out and ban him from said server. Community could be regulated by the community. In MW2 it can't be. If dedicated servers were freely available it wouldn't really matter if the game had exploits because people using them could be insta banned and they would not impact the flow of the game.
Infinity Ward reaps what is sew.    

Yep, I agree with this,  

Alright Blog, but I don't agree, And I am not apart of the Xbox Community, or the serious PC playing Community,  

My PC games are as follows, Flight Sim, AoE II and to a lesser, III, Civs, Sim City. 

I don't see how people can get caught up in MMO's, I've played them but I was only borrowing it from my mates,  

Good luck to you all I say.  

Am I still a gentleman and a Scholar?  
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

I agree with you in regards to the points, but I still don't care because I don't care about points. As far as the MMO stuff is concerned I don't know bcause I have never played an MMO to date.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By End_Boss
@Virago:  Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I agree that some responsibility needs to be taken by consumers (at least more than has been in the past, anyway). That said, yeah, developers are imperfect beings and should be appropriately criticized when significant errors are found in their games. It's just when we start trying to force those mistakes out that we're hurting ourselves (unless we're a bug tester, in which case we're gettin' paid). 

@Tennmuerti: Let's start at the beginning. Your first two points were a bit nitpicky; naturally I acknowledge that not everyone on Giant Bomb is a part of the XBOX Live community (hell, there was a time when I wasn't even a part of it), and naturally not every apple in the tree is bad (when referring to the consumer base) but by and far, the 360 is the most popular system on the forums and the majority of our consumer-base has little respect for the games we play or the people who make them. That's not something I'm willing to spend any more time arguing, so I'll let it rest there.

I took time to point out that I recognized that achievement points are a relatively minor facet of our hobby (in fact, I believe that may be a near-direct quote), but regardless of their overall importance, they at least serve the purpose of illustrating that our consumer base can't be trusted with even the most basic of things. Nowhere were they treated as "unspoiled ground in a sea of dirt" (doesn't that kind of contradict itself?).

Regarding your stance on MW2 and dedicated servers, this issue has been talked to death and isn't one that I intended to resurrect with this blog. But to respond to your criticism: supposing that the community had been given the servers it so pined for, do you really think it would have used them to ban cheaters and stop unfair modding? I don't. I think that maybe that relatively small group mentioned earlier in this post would, but the majority of the servers would indubitably be set up for mods, kill-farming, prestige glitching and achievement manipulation. 

Alright, now for the main event. You seem real upset by some of the stuff I said about WoW: before anything else, let me say it wasn't my intent to offend you. However, you do seem confused as to what I meant by "when Naxx was fun." Nowhere did I mention challenge at all, so I don't know how you want me to address the bit about the new Naxx being "easy" and how it was terrible of me to think that. I don't believe I've ever stated that nail-biting challenge is necessary to have a bit of fun, and if I did I shouldn't have. As for your running alts through the game without mods, well, there are two eye-popping reasons as to why that likely is: 

• You've already said you've been playing WoW since Naxx was still in its first incarnation, so it isn't like you're a new hand at this.
  • You've already accepted that you are an exception from the average user base by visiting an enthusiast forum and by knowing that there was a debate about MW2's lack of dedicated servers at all.

To close out, I want to say that I didn't mean to offend any WoW players (current or former) nor did I mean to imply that the game is unplayable. To every rule there is an exception, and the pervasive nature of mods in World of Warcraft is no different; another rule with its own exceptions. 

P.S. I forgot to talk about the gift metaphor bit. You're right, it probably is a bad example. A better one would be the "new car" bit that Virago mentioned.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss
@Red12b said:
"Am I still a gentleman and a Scholar?"
Do bears crap in the woods? ;)
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sixghost

I think this is a very bleak view of games. You seem to be stating things done or thought by a small portion of a games audience(maybe the top 5%) and applying it to the other 95%. Sure, some people cheat the achievement point system, use mods in WoW, glitch in FPS games, etc. but the vast majority of people don't, and just enjoy games for what they are. I'd be willing to be that most of the users of the previously mentioned things don't even know how to do the things you describe.

Also, I'm not sure what you are getting at about respecting a video game. These aren't pieces of art, or films. They're games. The same way people make up house rules in Uno or Monopoly, people have fun in different ways with their games. Sometimes those people are assholes, and cheating in multiplayer games is their idea of fun, but that's just a really annoying minority.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Capum15

Hurray, I'm a gentleman and a scholar.

Though I don't really have an opinion on the matter, since I haven't played WoW since before the Burning Crusade and haven't been playing much MW2 online. That, and I've been awake since roughly 10pm yesterday (4:22pm right now) and am a bit tired.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Symphony

Having been in a guild with some pretty amazing modders back in Classic (don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure they went on to help with CTmod [not that that means anything to most people]), there were mods all the way since the infancy of MC. Once people got a feel for the fights and how to implement timing into mods, there were announcement mods and timers to make life easier. For the most part, the only time that didn't involve mods for WoW was the initial grind from 1 to 60 right after the release. 

But even then, anyone at any level who followed the WoW video scene would see, for example, pvping rogues with crazy GUIs or cooldown timers and ask "where can I get those mods?!". There weren't big hubs for downloading mods like Curse, so it was mostly word of mouth at that point (gods, I don't even remember where they were hosted... maybe Curse WAS around way back then... they've been my go-to for as long as I can remember besides for the guild-made mods that were hosted on our forums). But yeah, mods have been an integral part of WoW from the getgo and I think part of what made it so successful. 

Hell, some mods were too powerful in the early stages of WoW, with there being some pretty crazy healing helper ones that would auto target the raid members who needed healing most and cancel your cast if someone else was casting a heal etc. Decursive was one of the most widely known and used such mods (you could basically just spam your cleanse / abolish poison / dispel /etc button and it would automatically target afflicted raid members for you, one after the other). Countless players had that (and/or similar mods) by the time AQ40 (let alone Naxx) was released, and there was a pretty big sob-fest when one of the patches promised to nerf such mods.

Ahh memories.

Sorry I'm focusing on a small part of your post -- it got me into a waxing nostalgic mood.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

My opinion is that if I pay to play a game, I am paying to play the game as it was advertised. If it doesn't do what it says on the tin then i'm not only going to stop playing it - i'm going to stop supporting that developer. If a game isn't fair then what incentive is there to play? I agree that a lot of developers think their responsibility stops at the release date. I think with an online community as committed as that of MW2 or WoW it would be in the developers best interest to ensure a consistent experience for their players. I do not feel I am being unreasonable with this expectation. They have my money.

Valves lack of support for the original Left 4 Dead is the reason why I didn't buy Left 4 Dead 2 on 360. Vote with your dollars dude. Even if they are only Canadian Dollars...

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By armaan8014

Im not  a gentleman (or gentle lady) and a scholar. 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I agree this has been talked to death, and not to get it again, but... I think you're wrong.

@End_Boss said:

supposing that the community had been given the servers it so pined for, do you really think it would have used them to ban cheaters and stop unfair modding? I don't. I think that maybe that relatively small group mentioned earlier in this post would, but the majority of the servers would indubitably be set up for mods, kill-farming, prestige glitching and achievement manipulation. 

That 'relatively small group' is the entire point. Let's say that for every five servers full of kill farming, game glitching thirteen year olds there is one good server, with people who just want to play the damn game and mods who kick those who deserve to be kicked. Once I find a few of those good servers, I don't have to blindly guess if a server is going to be full of assholes based on its name and the handles of a few of the players. I just play on the good ones! If they're all full, I start looking for new good ones or wait for a slot to open up while I eat a sandwich. It works! This has been my experience with TF2, Counter Strike, every version and mod of Quake; hell, let's just say every multiplayer shooter before 'PC Gamer' became synonymous with 'whiny.' I have no reason to believe MW2 would be any different. You just have to separate the chaff from the wheat.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti
Fair enough on the achievements, I might have misinterpreted the way it was said.

But see with dedicated servers the people who do cheat would in no way affect you. If they want to cheat that's fine, they can keep doing that on their own servers, but at the same time you could have servers that do not allow for cheaters. And that's the whole beauty of it.

I was not upset or offended at all with what you said with WoW. It is after all partially true, like i said, WoW is old already and has severely changed. I just don't think the situation is as bad as you seem to believe.
Most complaints on official forums were at one time about how WoW raiding was no longer fun and people pointed fingers at Nax for being at fault as it was too easy of an instance, that's what I assumed you meant when you mentioned it.
So in what way do you think it is not fun anymore? I mean what is so significantly different to you personally to make raiding now not fun versus raiding back in Vanilla?

PS: I reread my comment's on WoW, and yeah they do seem to come off a bit harsh from the side, sorry got wraped up in the writing :P

One thing I can add is that gaming is simply becoming more mainstream so yeah you just get a more general crossection of the population and see what people are like better then when it was a smaller and closer knit community of hardcore gamers. It's just that most people aren't very nice :D
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

For me, games are nothing more than a form of entertainment, and I like to be entertained quite often. If I choose to shit on an entertainment purchase, I'll spew diarrhea all over it and not think twice about it. If the shit was good, it just smells better.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By End_Boss
@sixghost:  In the same way that you believe I have a very bleak view, I believe you have a very naive view. Glitches and exploits are commonplace in shooters like Modern Warfare. I receive two or three invites to "prestige glitching" rooms per day from people I've never met. And you're right, there's probably a significant portion of XBOX Live that doesn't know how to perform these glitches, but that doesn't matter, because it doesn't change their willingness to accept those invites. 

As for games not being "art" etc. etc., I agree, but I also think that we shouldn't be trying to find every possible way to break them, especially if we as a consumer base plan on enjoying them. Also, even if we can't acknowledge games as art, we should at least be able to recognize all of the art assets that go into them. For every level in every game you play, there is likely a book chock-full of concept art, much of which may never have seen the light of day.  In that sense, they deserve respect.

@Sweep:
 I don't think a developer's responsibility stops at the release date, so I apologize if anything I've written implies otherwise. To be perfectly clear, if a game breaks or glitches during routine use, it is the developer's fault. Where the line gets hazy is when gamers buy a title and immediately set to savaging it with the intent of breaking it, then complain when it does. If a new backpack's bottom falls out while you're walking to school, shame on it's producer. If a new backpack's bottom falls out after you've been tearing at it for three days straight, shame on you. 

@SuperfluousMoniker: The smaller group may be the point to you, as you belong to it. But who do you think the point was to Infinity Ward? The larger group that would inevitably seek to use their game in ways they never intended if they host dedicated servers, or the smaller group who would continue to play within the confines of the game regardless of the presence of said servers? 

@Claude: Either I've missed your point or you've missed mine. I'm not saying we shouldn't be critical of games. That would be nuts.