DMC 5 or Sekiro: which do you like more?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll DMC 5 or Sekiro: which do you like more? (143 votes)

DMC 5 23%
Sekiro 40%
They're as good as one another to me. 8%
Other (eg. I haven't played one or the other, etc.) 29%

I haven't played either one yet, and while Sekiro is the one on my mind right now, I'm not sure which I should buy first. I wanted to see what all of you thought about both games. I'll probably get Sekiro first unless someone says something on here that sparks my enthusiasm for DMC 5 more, but try not to make this about recommending me one over another. I just want to see your thoughts about them. Have you played both? If not, how come?

• 
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both really great, and really different. Really not all that comparable honestly. One is a 50 hour or more game, the other is 10 hours plus whatever degree of perfecting you want to do for rankings. Other than coming out near each other, they don't have much in common. Just go with whatever calls to you more (I say this having asked the same question in the Sekiro impressions thread -- I ended up buying both, and have only beaten DMC).

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DMC is an absolute joy. Sekiro should totally be my thing, but it just flat out asks me to achieve feats that I don’t think I can physically pull off. The game is brilliant, but I’m completely fine dropping it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DMCV for sure. It's my game of the year so far, the best game in the series, and the best game in the genre IMO. An absolute blast from start to finish. Really entertaining characters and story to boot. And it goes without saying the combat is fucking sublime.

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: I don't think an hour per 1st playthrough is a fair comparison as DMC games are meant to be played multiple times to get more depth in the combat.

I've only played a couple hours of Sekiro and previous Dark Souls games I just cannot get into as I just wasn't having enough fun to git gud and I worry sekiro may be the same. Lots of parries and BRUTAL bosses that make me play the same thing over and over and over... may end up dropping it

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Devil May Cry 5. I’m not that big on Sekiro, I find the lack customization and relying heavily on parrying unlike From’s prior games to not be my cup of tea whereas DMC gives you a lot of tools to dispatch enemies and bosses which is just more fun for me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

I just bought Sekiro. I hope my hands are ready. I accidentally cut the tip of my finger yesterday morning when taking off the plastic cover of my razor so now I have a band-aid on. Ha. I'll probably buy DMC 5 relatively soon too. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ieee_gb: My point wasn't that one is better or worse for their length, just giving the person the overall idea of how long they both take to beat. It certainly wasn't a negative toward DMC5 from my perspective.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've completed both and prefer DMC5, obviously they're very different games, I just thought the controls were much tighter in DMC. The combat in From Software's games always felt a bit sloppy to me at times, it isnt awful, just a little bit imprecise, which is enough to be infuriating.

That being said the world building and design is better in Sekiro. I almost want From Software to step away from action games and make a proper RPG. Their worlds are always very interesting, even if I dont understand whats going on most of the time. (reading item descriptions and watching lore videos isnt my idea of fun)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

DMC 5 for sure. Sekiro is great, but DMC is arguably one of or even THE best action game of all time. I love it to death.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a knock against Sekiro at all, just an observation: when does the game become more challenging? So far, compared to the Souls games it's a breeze because of how it all works. It's not really an RPG this time around where you could get the upper hand as long as you are leveled up high enough and you're whittling health down, dodging or blocking, it's more about countering at the correct time to do a quick kill or attacking to make them open for a kill. I'm guessing it's going to get much harder and I'll need to be quicker with the dodging/countering, but so far it's not posing much of a challenge compared to the Souls games. I'm very early on though mind you; I just got to the part where you kill the three dogs and jump up to get some ammo for your arm prosthetic. Maybe it's not a good idea for later on since it takes more time to press the button down all the way, but I put the attack on RT and block on LT. So far the poll isn't matching the feelings of those that commented which is interesting. Interesting but not surprising considering the vote count compared to post count. I'm curious what those have to say about Sekiro, and why they enjoy it more than DMC 5. It's great that people love DMC 5 though. I'll probably get it in a couple of weeks, like I said.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Have you fought any bosses or mini-bosses yet? If you're referring to just basic enemies, then yes, it is the one way where Sekiro, for a while at least, is easier than the previous Souls games, if only because of the verticality and stealth, one hit kills.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Sekiro but they're both two of my favourite action games. I think the setting and the focus on clashing swords and ninja shit in Sekiro clinches it for me but that's just down to a personal preference towards anything Ninja/Samurai. Love the shit out of both of them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

@sethmode: Yes, that's what I mean. As I said, I'm assuming it gets harder, like bosses, but basic enemies are easier in that respect.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Casepb

I haven't played the full game of DMC5, and only a little of Sekiro, but I had to vote for DMC5 simply because I vastly prefer its type of gameplay over any Souls games. I'm just more of a fast stylish combo action game fan, rather than a slower paced game like Souls. I was super sad that Team Ninja decided to do a Souls clone instead of a new Ninja Gaiden. I did enjoy the Tenchu games though, so I'm enjoying Sekiro as well.

Garr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DMC5 is great, but it has some niggling issues for me:

Son of Sparda should have been unlocked from the start. Devil Hunter is trivially easy if you're coming from DMC3.

It could also stand to be a bit meatier. I feel like the short length is accentuated by only having medium difficulty unlocked out of the gate; DMC3, and to a lesser extent 4, felt more substantial because you died and had to retry encounters quite a bit, and some of the bosses were absolute ball-busters.

In 5, I think I hit a game over screen once.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DMC5 is flashy and fun and ridiculous. It's a great game and I would never discourage anyone from playing it.

Sekiro is engaging though, I couldn't put the thing down. I wanted to be better at that game and did not stop until I was so, and I'm still thinkin' about it now.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I wouldn't advise using the triggers for parrying, because later on you have to parry in quick succession very rapidly. The longer throws can make that a bit tougher.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@ichthy: It works just fine, I was testing it out between different buttons and it didn't really change how fast I press it. Currently, I'm still on Genchiro. I've somewhat mastered his first red orb health bar, and to less of a degree but still mostly his second, but it's his second form that I need to master. I really want to do it because then I cannot only move on but finally get two revives. Unfortunately, even though I know his moves and parry and attack correctly, he still hits me enough that I have to get back and heal because he doesn't always attack in the same way, using all of my health potions, making the third battle harder. I left for a while and went to the sunken valley, I killed two of the mini-bosses there which were difficult in themselves (well, the long-arm centipede giraffe not so much once you figure out his moves and what you're meant to do). I also, which I didn't think was going to be a thing early on, farmed for experience and money there. Funny thing is that, once the groove sets in, it becomes a little less intense because it almost feels second nature when you finally learn it.

---

Anyways, aside from this, I did go through DMC 5. I thought it was fine. It played like any other DMC but it looked amazing. It's one of those games that I go 'wow, I can't wait to see what next-gen produces'. However, after a while, the lack of variety in the setting is disappointing (you're in that Qliphoth a lot), and the story isn't very good in my opinion. It never really was now that I've gone back through them a couple of months ago, but it was just kind of bad in five. The game was fine, but yeah, Sekiro is better even though there are times in Sekiro where I think to myself that I'm not sure if I'll even get through it, but I will. Some might say 'but did you play on the harder difficulties?', and I'd say no because I don't really want to play through it again. Maybe though at some point, if I feel like playing nothing else and want to give it another chance. Aside from corny dialogue here and there (some that work, some that don't) DMC 5 mostly has a very good sound design. I also really liked those moments when you're exploring or fighting and you see other characters doing their thing. It hadn't occurred to me until late, but I was surprised there were basically no puzzles. It was just room to room fighting. Oh-oh-oh, and finally, spoilers. I really liked V's bird and panther, so it sucks that you had to kill them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@garr123: Yes it was. I would have much appreciated a harder difficulty than what we got from the get-go. I mean, I died in the game three times but didn't really die if you know what I mean because of all the gold orbs. So I never saw the game over screen and by the time I was a quarter of the way through all the way to the end of the game, I had about 17 of the gold orbs so there was very little chance I would die. The only DMC that I felt was intense, from that get-go anyways, was the first DMC since if you died enough you have to restart the stage from what I remember. It never happened because I didn't die enough, but I knew it was a thing. Yeah, there was just something about DMC 5 that, at least to me, felt kind of lacking. Maybe it's the length and lack of variety in both environments and enemy types. I wish there was more than just battle after battle in the environments, and it would have been nice if we didn't have to be in the Qliphoth as much. It's fine for a couple of levels, but starting out there and then going back it was too much. I liked a lot of what was outside of it though.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: For the second form, if you know how to land the reversals on his lightning moves it becomes a piece of cake. I never bothered, but watching someone else, it does massive damage and stuns.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichthy: I've actually read that too. It's just about figuring out the move sets and what he might do next. I honestly feel like I have to master his first form without losing my health so I can have everything going into the second because otherwise, it's almost futile, even when it's not. If I'm doing everything right, he goes down relatively fast, but once he hits me a few times I'm just like 'ah fuck, I better just start over' ha ha. Considering he only has one health bar on the second form is a relief, and I assume once I can figure it all out he'll go down easy, but I just have to get there. From what I read, he's the first main boss that's about teaching you how to get out of the Dark Souls rut if you will. Makes sense to me, but even so, he's still a challenge. I have to say, there have been a bunch of times, mainly on several of the mini-bosses, where I'll have about one hit left before I'm dead, and then I kill them. The most recent example is Snake Eye Shirafuji. I wish I could move onto different areas, but aside from past the Sunken Valley, I don't know where else I could go that I haven't already. I was just reading (as I'm typing this) about Snake Eye Shirafuji (because I forgot its name honestly), and I read that once you beat the Long arm centipede giraffe, the door there can only be unlocked after you beat Genchiro. So basically... I have to beat him now. No way am I going to beat that beheaded thing that strikes fear in you. I tried that again, and nope.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@ichthy: Whoo! I beat him. I feel like I totally mastered his first and second (which is why I got frustrated when he even hit me), and his second form was largely very easy. That said, it didn't stop my heart from pumping when I got the best of him. It just comes out, but for several mini-bosses and this boss included, something along the lines of 'die fucker' comes out of my mouth and a sigh of relief. Yay. I'm happy, ha ha. I think I died around twenty times on him, which is quite a lot to me.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After finally playing both, I like DMC5 more, at least for now.

I generally hate comparing games that are of different genres and go for different things. Devil May Cry has always been about a power fantasy where you can engage in higher levels of difficulty if you choose to but it's not required, while Sekiro, at least with my conservative play style, is more meditative and you have to learn its minutia in order to progress. Since I cracked the code with the Souls series, I can greatly appreciate a game challenging my ability to read patterns and react to them accordingly, but I usually go to games for power fantasy which is something that DMC5 really delivers on, while Sekiro is a little too taxing for me at the moment.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Having played through both by now, I actually find it hard to say. I'd probably say Sekiro, but in the end, I wasn't that into Sekiro and I'd much rather recommend those that haven't played previous Souls games simply play those instead, or at least before Sekiro. DMC5 wasn't bad, but it was short and didn't use its length to the best it could in my opinion. The story was a mix of melodrama, decent humor, and dullness. The environments were really lacking which for me is a big no-no when it comes to my enjoyment; you go back to the same place too many times. The gameplay is fine but it was more DMC and DMC has never been my favorite action-based series. The best thing I can say is that it is an extremely good looking game in many ways, and I really enjoyed the first few environments you go to with the neon shopping area, and more mansion-looking environments.

Sekiro is fine as you go through it, but they reuse a few of the bosses too many times (and I wasn't that fond of any of them), the Japanese environments didn't do a lot for me and again, you go back to them too many times. The music, unlike in previous From games didn't add a lot to the experience. I did like their new attempt at making a game challenging though. I mean, I do prefer the deeper customization and leveling system of previous From games, but I can appreciate just trying to master everything without too much in the way of overpowering yourself through rings, leveling, etc. It was just about you and your ability to block, attack, dodge and reflect.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Having played through both by now, I actually find it hard to say. I'd probably say Sekiro, but in the end, I wasn't that into Sekiro and I'd much rather recommend those that haven't played previous Souls games simply play those instead...

Though I wouldn't necessarily call Sekiro "Ninja Souls" since trying to apply the usual Demon's, Dark, and Bloodborne tactics in Sekiro just leads to frustration, I guess going back to one Souls or another would be more accessible than going back to Tenchu at this point.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Both are great in their own ways. Some of my favorite action games this generation being so close together was a real treat.

Between those and RE 2, I might have to come down with Boxboy or something after all that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: I think if people are into Sekiro, they might want to experience what else the developer had to offer, which is why I think their previous work is something I'd recommend more. I wasn't necessarily calling Sekiro a souls game, even though that's what it looks like I was saying. That's not what I meant.