Do i need to play the first 3 ME games to get into the new one?

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SamanthaK

So i watched Totalbiscuit play the new ME game on stream and it looked awesome so i want to know if i need to play the others to get into this one?

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This will probably get moved to the Mass Effect page, but I don't think so. If anything you might wanna read through the plot of 1 and maybe play 2 but that's just because it's probably favorite game of that generation (and Vinny's!). If you've played a Dragon Age game before or even just like 3rd person open world stuff then you're probably good to go with the general format, so go have fun if it looks like something you wanna play. I'm gonna get it later this month since I currently have a lot of school projects.

So i watched Totalbiscuit play the new ME game on stream and it looked awesome so i want to know if i need to play the others to get into this one?

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ragnar_mike: Thanks for the reply i think im going to just read about the other games.

And a newbie question: how do i make a post for a specific game or can i even do that?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@samanthak said:

@ragnar_mike: Thanks for the reply i think im going to just read about the other games.

And a newbie question: how do i make a post for a specific game or can i even do that?

I wouldn't even read about the other games. Just play them someday for the story alone, especially 1 and 2. Set them to easy difficulty, and just enjoy the story.

The new game has a completely different cast, and takes place hundreds of years away from the ME trilogy timeline. Just play the new game, and don't worry about not understanding something. I think they'll do a good job of explaining anything you need to know. It's a new game in the franchise, but it's not a direct sequel in any way.

Also, simply click the (Or search for a more specific forum) link when you're making a new thread, and you'll be able to link a new thread to a specific game's forum.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BRich

You don't have to but I would. It's one of the best series in gaming and it holds up very well, even the first. I saw a graphics comparison from the original to now and it isn't too far off. Mass effect 1 is my favorite story in the series, but 2 and 3 are also excellent. Don't listen to all the internet nonsense about 3.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

It sure doesn't seem like you need to. This very deliberately seems like a new jumping on point.

I think you'd benefit from having some background knowledge of the existing MassEffect races (Asari, Turians, Krogan etc) just so have some context for these characters behaviors, but there doesn't really seem to any critical connective tissue between the games in terms of plot.

In fact you might be better off not knowing the trilogy in depth, because a lot of themes seem to be repeated here.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember trying to play the first one a while back but i couldn't get into it for some reason.