• 120 results
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

FinalDasa  Moderator

Poll Do you actually finish games? (640 votes)

100% or bust! 5%
Yes, to the end of the main story. 47%
No, I play until I'm done. 39%
Nope, rarely or never. 9%

After finishing Tales from the Borderlands I looked at my trophies on PS4. As you might expect each episode saw a drop in the number of players who had continued on from episode to episode. The final trophy, awarded to you for finishing the entire game, stands at only 14.4%. Now this could be a larger concern for episodic games or the lack of marketing reach for Tell Tale games in general, but this is a pattern I've noticed a lot with all kinds of games.

So do people really not finish, or at least try to finish, the majority of the games they play? If not, why not?

• 
Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My backlog stands at 1000 hours. The longer I take, the cheaper other games become.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

When I was really young, first starting out in games, I would just play the first level of games. Not just once and then move on; I'd play the first level over and over again. I found it fun just playing the games and discovering more of it wasn't something that interested me and increasing the challenge would've put me off even more. Donkey Kong Country 2, Wario Land, F-Zero, Tony Hawk. Even stuff like Myth: The Fallen Lords and Populous: The Beginning. The first game I actually remember finishing is Barbie Super Sports.

As I grew older, I always had enough access to new games that I was never spending enough time with any one of them to complete it. There were a few favorites I would finish, but this is really when I found the pace of spending an hour or two with a game before moving onto the next one. I would usually stop whenever I got stuck on a boss or a puzzle. It's not that the games were too difficult, I just lacked the motivation to push through and beat the thing.

Nowadays, the hand-holdiness of mainstream games allows me to get through most of the big triple-A releases I play without too much difficulty. Sometimes I even go back and finish some I never got around to when they were first released. Smaller/indie titles are completed based on length and difficulty and I usually don't spend more than a couple of hours with a game before I pick up the next and never look back. That Last Livestream Of The Year taught me that I have more Steam games than Jeff, so can you blame me if I don't do a deep dive on all of them?

jmdoane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to leave games unfinished whenever something better got my attention. But eventually I'd think back to that game and be dissapointed I'd never finished it, so I'd try to go back to it. But too much time had passed and I couldn't remember how to play, so I'd just start over. Eventually I realized how much time I was wasting by leaving games half-finished and then starting them over later, so I resolved that unless I just hate the game I was going to finish it before putting it down. Plus it's really satisfying ticking those games permanently off my backlog. It let's me pretend I'm actually accomplishing things with my free time.

Incidentally the only game I've completely abandoned since then was the english translated Front Mission 5.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Only if I feel like it. I definitely don't have any hard rules about this.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I've certainly adopted a very harsh stance on if it's not entertaining anymore, just put it down and spend your time somewhere else. I will admit there's a satisfaction in finishing a game that's different from just putting the game down when I feel finished with it. There's a sense of closure that I don't get with those other games. But realistically that sense of closure isn't worth the hassle of possibly playing a game for hours on end for very little enjoyment if there's something else around the corner that looks more promising.

In some ways, that's why I really like a lot of these games that can be finished in a sitting or two.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#106  Edited By Jeust

I try to finish everything I start. In games I get to the end of them, main campaign at least, almost 100% of the time. When I don't feel the urge for it, I normally end up trading the game, because I don't enjoy it enough.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I can't leave a game unfinished. Luckily I only buy games I like, except in a couple of cases. I forced myself to finish Metro 2033.

brettchalupa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

My sad but true answer is "Nope, rarely or never." I am embarrassed about that answer because I want to try my best to at least beat the main story of the games I buy, but I often get bored or lose interest unless the game really hooks me. I also tend to be interested in and buy Japanese RPGs, which are almost always very long (20 hours+). Usually around hours 5~10 I start to lose interest. I am going to try my best to work through my backlog though!

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to, but now I find that I have neither the time nor attention span to make it through most games, especially when they're 80 hour open-world games. Prior to MGSV, the only game I started and saw through to the end this year was Bloodborne, and I was still in school then. The next game I'll actually finish will probably be Fire Emblem next year. The only games longer than like 15 - 20 hours I really finish anymore are games I have a strong personal attachment to (i.e. the third Zero Escape or Persona 5).

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I play alot of games that just don't have end states... Crusader kings, insurgency, mount & blade, europa universalis, civilization... They're games where you may play a round or start a character, but there's always something more you could do or another way to play that you can try. So they stay in my steam library 24/7 and it's really annoying because i want to play more but know that i'll never complete it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b01aaf1ac88
deactivated-57b01aaf1ac88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try my best to finish games but life's responsibilities always puts video games on the back burner.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I used to see pretty much everything through, especially new games I bought at full price. Now I don't think I'll even finish fallout 4.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By OurSin_360

I rarely finish games and not because i don't want to but because i just tend to move onto other things( even games) and then never go back to them. I've probably completed 20% of my game collection going all the way back to ps1 era. I think it has more to do with my anxiety and probable ADHD, where most times i float to one thing or another and only get deeply(sometimes obsessively) focused on certain games spending 100's of hours on them. For example, i loved the Witcher 3 and was deeply into it for 120hours or so but then moved on to MGSV and beat the shit out of it(not 100% complete but 160hours). Witcher 3 is still unbeaten for now but i plan on going back to it as i do love the game, but atm i've moved on to Xcom (which i had for 3 years and never played) and plan on playing the Bureau(which i've also had for years and never played lol).

I've spent 90+ hours in 2 playthroughs of skyrim, and never finished the main story once(or Oblivion), also got Fallout 3 and 4(put 60hours into 4 before stopping maybe 20 hours into 3). My game backlog is full of unfinished RPG's i've put 100's of hours into and never beat lol.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not buying another game untill I've finished the one I'm playing works wonders for me.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I almost always get bored about 80% in, then i force myself to finish it.

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to finish every game that i start but time is always a constraint. I usually now just go until I feel done with it or something new grabs my attention.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I do if it's going somewhere and not full of trashy filler content. So no, not lately.

SpookyWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try and finish all of the games that I have started at one point or another, even if it may take me a year to do so. I lose focus often and start playing other games, but I'll eventually get back to them.

I have noticed frequently, mainly on Xbox Live, that many users have <10% achievement completion on most of their games. Whether they only play multiplayer or stop playing the game early I have no idea, but I find it strange how one can neglect most of the games that you have played and leave them to sit around.

BayernBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The older I get the less patience I have for games. I'm much more likely to re-play a classic game to finish.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to finish a good amount of my games, but since I have a completionist streak that feels more like a gaming disease at times it can take me awhile to finish some of them. The only genre in which I have a bad track record of completion is RPG's, since I can get easily sidetracked and burn myself out on less then stellar side content or pure filler and never actually finish the main quest.

I'm also a serial restarter, so RPG's are both incredibly fun and frustrating for me at the same time and the only one to blame is myself.

FaulPern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being out of school and jobless til the end of the year, I've latched on to big open world games that weren't Ubisoft or Bethesda: MGSV, The Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X and I've finished MGS and The Witcher 3 and 75 hrs in Xenoblade with plans to finish it. They're perfect for long stretches, they have kept me coming back, even me procrastinating doing productive things in my life(to my detriment). I would have jazzed over Bloodborne if I had a PS4 too, but maybe that can wait.

Sadly I have bought Life is Strange season 1 and not played past the first ep, bought Cities Skylines and played it for 20 hrs, bought Trails in the Sky in hopes of getting ready for Second Chapter and not touching it, and a friend bought me Borderlands Pre-Sequel (after helping me finish Borderlands 2 after not finishing it for 2 years) but I haven't touched it either.

I would still like to play long ass games if and when I get a job, but if that's too much, Rocket League is plenty fun for half an hour these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my big problem is that I'll try something new for an hour or so and intend to come back to it later, but by then I've forgotten all about it, lost my save, or left it at some point where my interest dropped off. It helps that games are pretty disposable cost wise and more often than not I gravitate to something I know I can come back to and enjoy.