Do you buy consoles fairly late into their life cycle?

• 60 results
CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CodyMetro

I have to say I am guilty of this. I am usually content for a while with a previous generation. I remember I didn't even get a PS2  until almost in  2006. Before then, I just mainly had the PS1 and the Cube. (Not counting anything from the generation before that). Its just that there were already so many good games out and were cheaper since the PS2 was pretty old at that point and the next gen systems were about to come out later in 2006. Not only that, but usually when new consoles are released, they get improvements later on down the line. I got the PS3 in August of 2009, and the Wii just last year to be exact.

Also, I have a ton of backlog of fun games already so I never saw the need to buy a console when it just would come out and such. I really couldn't care less about graphics much to be honest. Yeah its cool to look at the pretty new graphics when a console comes out, but really its mainly about the gameplay for me.

Is there anyone out there who pretty much does the same thing? I don't want to be the only one now lol. I don't feel the need to rush and get the newest this and that. Just the type of person I am I suppose.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By Soap

I can see how you could be in your position, especially if you came late to the last generation you will have a lot more stuff to get through before you feel ready to move on, but for me I'm pretty much a day 1 person, regardless of whatever shitty launch games I end up with :D

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I only buy new consoles when a game comes out I really want. I am not one of those "this is the new thing I have to buy it types". I got my 360 when Oblivion came out and I bought my PS3 around the time  Uncharted 2 released. To me when it comes to buying consoles it always been about the games. If I don't have the console and a game is released or is coming out to where I think "I have to have that" then I will pick it up.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Portis

Nah, I usually jump right in in the first 6 months of a new consoles release.

Excluding the PS3, which I bought 3 years after its release and the PS1 which I got 4 years after release.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Djeffers03

I like to get them within the first 6 months or so, when Im still really hyped about them.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By James_ex_machina

Normally i buy consoles very early after launch. I bought the xbox360 months after launch. The RROD story was already building when I got mine. I've preferred the MS consoles over the PS, mostly because of the controllers and LIVE. I've been planning on getting a PS3 when the price is low enough for me. Hell I already have 3 PS3 games (infamous, uncharteds) waiting to be played. I'll grab a PS3 after the next price drop for sure. I prefer to get consoles at launch but I have other interests that drain my wallet so the secondary console has to wait.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Depends on the games really. I wait for a game that compels me to buy a console.

Like for the current generation, Gears of War convinced me to buy a 360 and Uncharted 2 convinced me to buy a PS3.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By unchained

For consoles, I'm usually in the fucking midnight line day one. I'm more likely to start up late in the cycle for hand-helds though.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MeierTheRed

I usually buy the console i want most day one. But then get the other brand later down the line, after it has seen some price drops.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

Consoles I just wait until a game I want to play.

I waited until Gears came out for the 360.

And I waited until Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls and Metal Gear Solid 4 went discount for the PS3

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Otacon
I've always bought the xbox a little later on than the other two, that may change next time round though.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'm retarded and have too much money.

The most dangerous combination.
jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By jkuc316

I got the 360 on 2007, but after too much failure, I got the PS3 December 2009. So, you were actually faster than me in terms of getting PS3

@Otacon really? Even if MGS is going multi-platform, I think Hideo will put a special feature for the PS

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WickedFather

Got my 360 in 2009 and my ps2 in 2010.  I actually think the ps2 has far better games and is full of silly fun.  The 360 seems like it's full of horrible games that have gone in the wrong direction since I got that.

I got a PS1 really early in, it was £300 at the time, then sold it a few months later and bought one again when the price crashed.  N64 was bought straight out of the gate.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By SMTDante89

I usually wait for the first price drop for consoles.

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tobli

I usually wait a couple of yars or so before deciding to get a good feel for how well they will be supported, and general feedback about the systems.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Yanngc33

I bought a 360 a year ago

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By abdo
@CodyMetro: I'm kinda the same, only get a console when there are enough games, say five or six, that justify it. I got my PS3 in late 2008 once GT5 Prologue, MGS4 and LBP and a bunch of other great games were already out, as well as Yakuza 3 and GT5 being 'around the corner'. It's also about being able to afford a new machine, as well as still playing PS2 games, of which there are tons. For the next generation, I doubt I'll buy the consoles day one, but if I had the extra money and there was a strong launch line-up, I'd probably do it.
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ectoplasma
@LordXavierBritish: LOL. The most dangerous combination is when you're retarded and DONT have any money though.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ectoplasma said:
" @LordXavierBritish: LOL. The most dangerous combination is when you're retarded and DONT have any money though. "

No Caption Provided
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nekroskop

Bought the PS3 in 2008 and the 360 in 2009. I can't remember exactly when I bought older consoles but it was most likely 1-2 years after they launched

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vexxan

I buy most of my consoles on their release dates with the exception of Xbox and PS2 which I bought several years after they were released.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm usually two/three years behind everyone else when it comes to consoles.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Except for the Nintendo Game Boy, which I got fairly close to it's original release in Sweden in the early 90's (consoles usually were released a couple of years later than in other countries at that time), I'd say yes, I got the Nintendo 64 around 1999 or so, pretty much the last year or so in it's cycle. I got the PS2 in 2008 and the PS3 just a couple of months ago. Consoles are just way, way too expensive for me to ever get in the early half of their cycle. I've generally been sticking to PC gaming, since the incremental upgrade way works much better with the income I can ever hope to have.

Also, it's easier to get the good games once the early hype of some games have died off. Doesn't mean I don't deliberately go pick up some lesser received titles just to see what the criticism was all about though.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Vegsen said:
" I buy most of my consoles on their release dates with the exception of Xbox and PS2 which I bought several years after they were released. "
I don't understand why people do this. You just have to pay more and the only games you can play all suck.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts
I usually do buy consoles on day one but if I have to end up spending $800 again on the new playstation at launch I may reconsider.
Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cazamalos

i usually buy new consoles withing the year of the release, but after the clusterfuck this gen launch was i'll wait maybe 18 months before buying the next gen consoles

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kjellm87

I never buy consoles late.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Kyreo

Most of the time I buy them either AT launch or a few years after, when there is some fancy schmancy bundle.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#31  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I tend to get them right when they come out or pretty close to it. Its exciting to me and I enjoy it even if that means a few bad launch games.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By craigbo180

I always get in early and usually day one on Nintendo stuff.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I got into the SNES late due to being broke as a teenager, other than that anything I buy is pretty early (within a year of launch).

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By mau64

I normally buy the consoles as soon as I can, it might not be day 1 but its when I get the money and it has that one game I feel like I must play. I was a couple years late on 360 though since I had the PS3 and Wii.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ajamafalous

I only buy them when there are several exclusives I want to play and they've been significantly discounted.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By JJWeatherman

If I could, I'd buy every console day one. But since money is a thing that exists, I usually wait about a year. At least that's what I did for my 360 and OG Xbox.

My OG Xbox was the first console I spent my own money on. Good times.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I buy as early as I can afford to.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By niamahai

come to think of it, new consoles are mad expensive. Saturn was launched $399 @ '95! Thats a lot of money back then.

If the next box have 100% backward compatibility I wouldn't mind jumping in day 1.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463

Usually somewhere in the middle, around the 1st or 2nd price drop. I always wait until the platform has at least 4-5 games for it that I really want to play before I even consider buying it. Hardware is just the middle man to get me to the games, so if there is no games then there is no point in owning the hardware.

Of course once I win the lottery I will buy everything the day it comes out and every game for it, but until then I do the above. Unless I somehow fall into some money at the time of launch. At which point I always take that as a sign from god that I need to go buy it. That happened to me with the Wii, when a week before it came out I got my tax check back and it was exactly enough to buy the Wii and the Zelda game. I think god hates me.
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By fox01313

Depends on money as well as if there's games out that I want to play & can't play anywhere else.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aus_azn

7G is the first time I've actually done this. I opened with a Wii in 06, an Xbox in 07, then the PS3 this year.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Afroman269

I tend to get in early. The only console I got later in the cycle was a PS3. I got it when Killzone 2 came out. Since I get into the console cycle early, I'm among the people who want new fucking hardware now,

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@James_ex_machina said:
" Normally i buy consoles very early after launch. I bought the xbox360 months after launch. The RROD story was already building when I got mine. I've preferred the MS consoles over the PS, mostly because of the controllers and LIVE. I've been planning on getting a PS3 when the price is low enough for me. Hell I already have 3 PS3 games (infamous, uncharteds) waiting to be played. I'll grab a PS3 after the next price drop for sure. I prefer to get consoles at launch but I have other interests that drain my wallet so the secondary console has to wait. "
I'm gonna guess Hookers and Blow. How close am I?

I usually buy consoles early on but I bought the PS3 in late 2008 when I was satisfied there were enough games for the system that I wanted.
Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I try to get consoles as early as I can, I don't want to miss out on any good launch titles and since I'm Australia and we don't get consoles till few months later than US that allows me some time to consider the games that come out for it in those few months as well as any hardware problems that rise up.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45  Edited By Crono

I didn't anytime before now but I think that from now on I will be a very late adopter of the consoles. I play PC games a hell of a lot more than I ever play my consoles.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Amducious

The only console I bought on release date was my original xbox. Everything else I have waited years before buying. There's three main reasons for this. The first is technical issues. RRoD put me off buying the 360 and the price put me off the PS3. Secondly, with the 360 revised version (Jasper chipset and new look) along with a cheaper price convinced me it was time to buy. Thirdly, by the time I bought it, there was already a huge catalogue of quality games at fantastic prices.

All my previous consoles Megadrive, Playstation 1&2 , N64, Gamecube were all bought well into their cycles

It's the same with games, I wait 6 months after release before buying for better prices and the games patched so the majority of bugs are fixed. I generally play single player so whether others are playing the mutiplayer or not doesn't matter.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Contro

I always buy them early, I see little point hanging around.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kandycane2029

I usually wait a bit so a lot of the hardware problems are ironed out and so I can afford it.  I got a Wii in 2007, a PS3 in 2008, and a 360 in 2009.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought my PS3 in August of '08, so I'm not sure if that was late or not. I think with my Sega and N64, I came in to the party a year or two late, but I was only a little kid, and only discovered them long after their release. We got our Gamecube on launch day, and the original XBOX a couple of years after. This generation I bought the 360 a month or two (possibly less) after release. 

A mixed bag, then.

...I didn't get my PS2 until 2 or 3 years ago.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Depends on HYPE