Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Garfield360UK

Hey all

I have recently bought Fifa 09 and ordered Battlefield Bad Company for Xbox 360. I got these two games for around £15 to £20 each (under $30 for each game) and have been thinking about buying more.

Now, I am starting to feel bad about wanting to buy games so soon after getting others, should I feel this way? Should I not get more for a while or just ignore that and get them? I do have the money as I am working and I dont spend over my weekly luxuries budget (i.e. I have set so much aside for bills, then savings, then some each week for spending plus any overtime I have I can use for what I want)?

What about you, do you ever feel bad about the money you spend on gaming?

Discuss

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By bjorno

I steal all my games from children's hospitals, so I don't have your guilt problem.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By gormers

Yes I feel somewhat bad about buying as many games as Ive done lately. I feel that the games I havent finished are piling up. But at least most I buy are really cheap, like 1/3 of the games initial retail price.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By crunchUK

when i was 4 i ate some of the sweets form the pic n' mix at asda and spent the rest of the shopping trip terrified of getting arrested and imprisoned =/

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gormers
crunchUK said:
"when i was 4 i ate some of the sweets form the pic n' mix at asda and spent the rest of the shopping trip terrified of getting arrested and imprisoned =/
"

I remember being in an amusement park with a friend and got annoyed at one of those coin machines (the ones with a lot of coins, and if you put enough in, some will drop down, as seen in mister bean). Anyway he or I hit it and coins fell out, and we did it again and an alarm went off and we looked behind us and saw a camera. And then we ran into a line for a ride and changed clothes, and we saw a guard scouting. And then we called our mums and went home. True story.
Inferno100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Inferno100

I don’t feel bad about any thing I do.

Now, if you’ll
excuse me, I have to go out and steel people’s wheelchairs...
Just for the fun of it. :-)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

I get buyer's remorse with a lot of things but it's not guilt. You just have to realise that the point of money is to spend it so this was destined to happen anyway.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I HAVE NO CONSCIENCE!!!!

Nah, I don't feel guilty about something so trivial. I never feel guilty unless I let someone else down. Wait, isn't that the definiton of guilt?
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By weltal

Only if it detracts from other interests in my life. I rarely let myself spend so much though, so it's not really an issue.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane

I dont spend money at bars, on coke whores, or on meth.  I think my girlfriend appreciates that.  A few thousand dollars on videogames is no big deal.  I use cheapassgamer and goozex to keep costs down as much as possible

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I don't feel guilty when I buy games, especially when they are games that I know I'll play.

I try not to spend money on games all the time. I usually get alot of games at once so that they'll last me longer, as opposed to buying a new game every week.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brukaoru

I have a ton of games I haven't played yet in my collection. They just kept stacking up after a while. Sometimes there were good deals on the games that I couldn't pass up and wouldn't be available again, so I went ahead and purchased them. I don't think you should feel guilty about it.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I don't know if I'd feel bad, but it's definitely something I don't do unless the game in question is in danger of becoming difficult to find. I am frugal in my buying happens (ie, not wasteful) so I'll often only buy what I'm actually going to play and put off other purchases until I'm done.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

If you feel the games are that good, there is not reason to feel guilty about wanting to play as many great games as you can.

Then again, I am pretty much the human form of the hedonism bot in Futurama.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Garfield360UK

Touché, gaming is my main hobby (I do like other things as well, but gaming is probably my main free time thing to do if friends are busy etc).

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By End_Boss

Man, if I'm gonna' buy games on the cheap, I'm going to buy a lot of them. Although for your money, you should not have gotten FIFA '09 (mediocre game) and Battlefield: Bad Company, which has a low player base and is also, in my opinion, a mediocre game. Should have gotten the ME Platinum Hits Edition. Booyah.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK
CitizenKane said:
"If you feel the games are that good, there is not reason to feel guilty about wanting to play as many great games as you can.

Then again, I am pretty much the human form of the hedonism bot in Futurama."
i herd u liek grapez?!?! 0_o
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb

You worked for your money, buying luxuries isn't criminal. Were people not buying luxuries, money would not be circulating the market. You're actually helping the economy by spending that money.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't buy a game for everyday of the week. There is a difference between spending money and wasting money. Savvy? :D

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By dj

That $150 dollar arcade stick I just bought is laughing at me right now...

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Garfield360UK
BiggerBomb said:
"You worked for your money, buying luxuries isn't criminal. Were people not buying luxuries, money would not be circulating the market. You're actually helping the economy by spending that money.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't buy a game for everyday of the week. There is a difference between spending money and wasting money. Savvy? :D"
What would you consider a reasonable ammount?
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By RandomHero666
crunchUK said:
"when i was 4 i ate some of the sweets form the pic n' mix at asda and spent the rest of the shopping trip terrified of getting arrested and imprisoned =/"
Lawl!!!
Galrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Galrick
Hexpane said:
"I dont spend money at bars, on coke whores, or on meth.  I think my girlfriend appreciates that.  A few thousand dollars on videogames is no big deal.  I use cheapassgamer and goozex to keep costs down as much as possible "

I have to agree here. I live a healthy lifestyle; I'm not a big spender. I can go from one paycheck to another and only pay bills, nothing for myself. So I don't really feel guilty buying a game here or there.
KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KindGalaxy

@OP

you feel guilty for buying more games? What the fuck? You consider games to be your significant other/wife? You consider that Street Fighter IV will feel jealous because you spent so much time on Far Cry 2? You feel like a slut because you want to experience Killzone 2 beyond experiencing the relaunched Prince of Persia game? You feel like you're cheating on your classic RTS whore called Company of Heroes because the new fetish prossy has come out with her Dawn of War 2? You feel immasculated and unable to appease the female-objectivication for you that is gaming due to the fact you'd rather download XBox 360 DLC clothing packs of SFIV than the Noby noby boy game on PSN? What the fuck, why the fuck would I ever feel guilty with a game purchase, I'd feel guilty if I just ass fucked a phillipine prositute whilst drinking full cream milk as my wife sat watching last night's Lost episode drinking Skim Milk Coffee waiting for me to come home, only to sigh at her aging form, compare her to my whore phillipine hooker and go straight to bed. Games are fucking games, why the fuck would I feel 'guilty' about anything to do with games, get the fuck over yourself you anti-social cocker.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Every one feels guilty except sociopaths.

And i dont feel guilty for buying games unless i use money i don't have..

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Alex_V

I never feel bad about it - I get a lot of fun (and more) out of it.

The only guilt I do feel is buying a brand new game at full price on a whim, where I know that if I leave it a few weeks the price will come down yet the game will be exactly the same.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

First of all, you shouldn't feel guilty about scooping up games when they are priced so cheaply.  That's being a smart consumer.  But, to the overall question of feeling guilty for buying a multitude of games in a very short time, then yes, I've felt the same way in the past.  For me it's not just a question of expense, but of time.  When I buy a game, I like to focus completely on it.  However, if I buy more than one in a short period of time, something is going to get left out.  Games wind up sitting on my shelf, untouched, for weeks or more. Sometimes, the price drops between the time that I bought the game and committed myself to playing it.  Of course, that makes things even worse.  Damn the video game hype machine!   I know I can't help myself from looking at new games in the stores, so when I do, I keep reminding myself about all the other games I have that I really haven't gotten my money's worth from yet and the games I am still stuck in the middle of.  It's just like going to the strip club...look, but don't touch, unless you want to regret everything later.

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By felixlighter

Look at it this way, you're doing your part in saving the failing economy.  You're a hero.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By JonathanMoore

I tend to complete my games, then play them a bit more, review that game then buy another. And so the cycle continues, unless I decide to go back to my NES or Genesis etc and play the hell out of one of those games.

-- God Bless.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Black_Rose

No, not really.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno

I buy most of my games from Steam nowadays, and you can't really feel guilty for spending money on such good deals.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Garfield360UK
PenguinDust said:
"First of all, you shouldn't feel guilty about scooping up games when they are priced so cheaply.  That's being a smart consumer.  But, to the overall question of feeling guilty for buying a multitude of games in a very short time, then yes, I've felt the same way in the past.  For me it's not just a question of expense, but of time.  When I buy a game, I like to focus completely on it.  However, if I buy more than one in a short period of time, something is going to get left out.  Games wind up sitting on my shelf, untouched, for weeks or more. Sometimes, the price drops between the time that I bought the game and committed myself to playing it.  Of course, that makes things even worse.  Damn the video game hype machine!   I know I can't help myself from looking at new games in the stores, so when I do, I keep reminding myself about all the other games I have that I really haven't gotten my money's worth from yet and the games I am still stuck in the middle of.  It's just like going to the strip club...look, but don't touch, unless you want to regret everything later."
Yeah this is how I am, I have a fair few unfinished games but I will play most of them over a long time, like now I am thinking of playing on Dead Rising again even though I got it two years ago and havent finished it yet :S
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By StarFoxA

I usually only buy one game per month, so no.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By c1337us

Its a weird thing to feel guilty about. Maybe buyers remorse, but thats a different thing altogether.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By BiggerBomb
Garfield360UK said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"You worked for your money, buying luxuries isn't criminal. Were people not buying luxuries, money would not be circulating the market. You're actually helping the economy by spending that money.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't buy a game for everyday of the week. There is a difference between spending money and wasting money. Savvy? :D"
What would you consider a reasonable ammount?"

Buy games that you can get a lot out of and you won't have to buy so many new ones. The exception, of course, is if the game is truly amazing enough to make up for its shortage of content. Personally? I think more than...err, I don't know. Normally I would say if you're buying more than 10 games a year, you're wasting money; however, today's economic climate is as unpredictable as it is brutal.

Unless you're sitting on a lot of the cash monies, I suggest you buy no more than 5 (MAYBE 6) games this year.
Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Garfield360UK
c1337us said:
"Its a weird thing to feel guilty about. Maybe buyers remorse, but thats a different thing altogether. "
True, I do feel bad buying video games, just more at spending money.