Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you have an iPad? (212 votes)

Yes 39%
No 60%

With all these iOS Quick Looks, many of them for games like Hundreds and The Room, where the staff pretty much comes out and says "don't bother with this game if your iOS device is anything smaller than an iPad", it got me to wondering how much of the audience they actually serving by showing off these games.

So how many of you have an iPad, either yours, your girlfriend's, or your family's, that you can easily buy and play games on?

• 
Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Poppduder

I thought about picking up one, but I honestly don't know what I would do with it. Distract myself even more from the people I am around?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I own one. I don't play games on it. Outside of Puzzlequest, the gameplay mechanics of every "top tier" game just doesn't do it for me. Maybe its the controls, maybe it's my fingers blocking a big chunk of the screen, maybe it's the gameplay that's balanced around microtransactions; I just don't enjoy gaming on the iPad. (I did enjoy Magic 2013 for a while until I felt the AI was just a cheating SOB.)

I use mine mostly for sample tank, accessing sheet music saved as PDFs, accessing spreadsheets in Drop Box, pocketcloud, youtube, skype/facetime, and plex.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've got one, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Besides playing games it's great for just browsing the internet or taking notes in class.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jrinswand

My wife has a Nexus 7. That's about it. When it comes to Apple, I have no interest in anything other than their phones.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nope, I have absolutely no use for a tablet, can't see when the hell I would actually use it for anything.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poppduder said:

I thought about picking up one, but I honestly don't know what I would do with it. Distract myself even more from the people I am around?

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm at. I already own an iPhone and a 3DS (plus the usual consoles and PC), so I figure I already have a lot of variety in terms of handheld screens to constantly be staring into. While I'm sure I'd find uses for it, an iPad seems excessive.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I have one, but I hardly play games on it. I have quite a few games on it, but I play them so rarely that I've mostly stopped buying new ones.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have one on loan from work. It doesn't get used for much non-work related applications. That is mainly because I don't like dealing with touchscreens. Typing is a pain. General browsing is slowly getting better as more pages have alternative display for tablet and phones, but I still much prefer my laptop for that use.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Teoball

No, I have no use for a tablet at home.
I do use one at work for several hours every day though.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pr1mus

Nope and if i was to get a tablet it wouldn't be an iPad.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was gonna get an iPad mini but "settled" for a Nexus 7 since im not in Apple's ecosystem and i dont regret it. I didn't think i would spend too much time with it and 320 (+tax+shipping) seemed a bit much for something i didn't really have a use for but wanted to have, but I bought my Nexus 7 for 180 (16gb new and that's including tax) which was a great price for something i didn't really need for anything. SO NO......no ipads here

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an iPad. It's a first gen one though, so it can't play any of the "good" games.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naw, I'm an Android user with the Nexus 7.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

32 gb white iPad 4. Love it.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#15 riostarwind  Moderator

No I recently got rid of my first gen Ipad since it was getting kinda old at this point plus I still got a reasonable amount of money for it. But I do have a Nexus 10 for my tablet needs. Which is mainly just for watching video content.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zebracal

Nope I don't have one. I don't see my need for this gadget.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By mrcraggle

I don't have any tablet of any kind. I just can't find many reasons to spend the money on one. The Surface sounded interesting because it has USB, external storage support and all that good jazz but the performance issues I saw in reviews really put me off.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I'm pretty deep in the Android ecosystem and don't plan on leaving. I might get one at some point for exclusive games though.

rsfarmer0928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rsfarmer0928

I dream to have one....

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strife777

Yep, bought one late last year. I never thought I would love it that much. I'm using it constantly.

It is very expensive though. People freaked out about the 600$ price tag for the PS3 when it came out, but that's basically the price for an iPad, and it technically doesn't do much more.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've had one for almost a year now and enjoy having it around. Certainly not a necessity, but it was a gift. I probably wouldn't own one if I wasn't given one. But besides that, I'm glad that I own it because it does come in handy when I don't want to carry around my laptop.

Haven't played too many games on it, but I think that because I'm not sure which games are worth buying. I bought Bastion though and that was worth the purchase.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have one. Pretty much never play iOS games, they mostly get boring after a few minutes.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Vextroid

Yep. I play a whole mess of games on it, mainly Pinball Arcade.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many member of their audience are they actually serving by doing Quick Looks of anything on a Vita?

Also, I like games and will watch things about interesting games on systems I don't own as well. Also also, if you aren't interested by it then don't watch it.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's been an excellent tool to rediscover old games (Sid Meier's Pirates! for example) and it's been an excellent study/procrastination tool at college.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlashDance

No use for it. I thought about getting one for IOS games but this doesn't sound like a good enough reason to spend all that money.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TruthTellah

@BisonHero You also have to remember that these videos can -bring in- people. So, not only are these videos informing the current Giant Bomb audience, they also have the potential to slightly expand who checks out Giant Bomb's videos.

Though, I think you'd be surprised just how many people have iPads these days. I didn't think I would ever have one, but there's one in my family, which I have used to play Hundreds and The Room thanks to Giant Bomb's suggestions. And I'm sure there are many like me on that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BisonHero

@sirdesmond said:

How many member of their audience are they actually serving by doing Quick Looks of anything on a Vita?

Also, I like games and will watch things about interesting games on systems I don't own as well. Also also, if you aren't interested by it then don't watch it.

All valid points. For the record, I wasn't trying to be confrontational in the slightest with the topic - I was just genuinely curious how common iPad ownership is among GB forum users.

@BisonHero You also have to remember that these videos can -bring in- people. So, not only are these videos informing the current Giant Bomb audience, they also have the potential to slightly expand who checks out Giant Bomb's videos.

Yeah, that's a good point as well.

While Brad is on this iOS streak, I really hope he goes back and does a Quick Look of Super Hexagon, just to see him try to talk while playing that game.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I understand. Sorry if my comment came off as being a bit mean. It wasn't my intention.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't. But my girlfriend does. I myself am using a Samsung Note 2. I use her iPad mainly to download games that aren't available on Android.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The hardware is appealing, .but I really don't know what I would do with one. I may buy one of those Yoga laptops.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I just don't see why I would need it since I have a PC and I think touch screen gaming is unappealing.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a Nexus 7, which is both more versitile(DGAF about "retina" display) and 1/3rd of the price.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 in the house but they belong to family members.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pikawai

No, I don't. However, it had be great to have one just to be able to read my ebooks on it than on my phone. So no, I don't plan to get it for any gaming purpose at all.

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, sure do and I love it. Just bought my girlfriend an ipad mini today too. It's the only Apple product I'll probably own.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hitchenson

I don't own any Apple products nor a smartphone or tablet of any brand.

Avatar image for redcricketchase
RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping to get one for my little bro to use, since his doc indicated it'd help him communicate, but then I lost my job. Ha.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By zidd

I have one but really don't play any games on it because its a pain in the ass. I'd rather use a 3ds or vita to play games on a portable sized device.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I used to have one, now I just have a Kindle Fire, It does exactly what I need.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one after Steve Jobs died.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do. I don't use it nearly as much as I should.

Mister9001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I own one. Decent for gaming (impressive graphics too), music videos, and useful apps for movies and such, but web browsing could be better. Also the lack of Adobe Flash is a major downside.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're nice to have, but I personally don't own one. If I did I would probably prefer an Android tablet for the personalization and customization.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I'm not sure what I'd do with it that I can't do on my phone- I can't think of anything that'd be worse the price, anyway.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I'm too poor. I do have an iPod Touch though.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By dichemstys

Sure do, but I don't buy games on it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BisonHero

@redcricketchase said:

I was hoping to get one for my little bro to use, since his doc indicated it'd help him communicate, but then I lost my job. Ha.

Aw, that's a bummer. My parents thought about getting one for my brother for the same reason, but never did. At this point, that's probably saving us money, because we've tried stuff like it before (touch/pointing-based communication tools) years ago, and unfortunately none of them helped him very much.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

I hope to get one eventually.