Does the achievements list affect your purchase decision?

• 70 results
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By foggel
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By foggel

I avoid buying games with achievements where the last digit is other numbers than 0 or 5. I also hate having games with less than a 50% completion rate, and I prefer having it over 60%. So if I'm not particularly hyped about a game I might not try it just because of this. Or I buy it on PS3. I never buy games because of how easy the achievements are, only to what degree they are hard or time consuming to earn. I usually look at the completion rates here on giantbomb or playfire to decide that. 

I think the main reason for this is because I feel they don't put enough thought into the achievement making, and is as such neglecting us who appreciate the achievements.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By GreggD

The only time I returned a game based on its achievements list was Ridge Racer 6 on 360. That game had terrible, grind-heavy achievements, and it wasn't worth playing the kind of shitty game that long to get them.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By benspyda

I don't normally even look at the achievements until I've beaten the game to see what I got out of it. I rarely go looking for them. It does annoy me though when I play through a game like Space Marine and have barely any points to show for it. I die a little inside.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Nope. Although I do like collecting achievements and hate having a low completion rate, I won't avoid a game just because it has shitty achievements.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only if it is an old game that I've played before, maybe on another platform. No reason to go through again/buy it if I'm not getting rewarded.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By Little_Socrates

I never look at achievements until I've finished a game.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By _Zombie_

Not in the slightest, no.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It hasn't yet. 

I rarely look at the achievements list before buying a game since they usually contain spoilers anyway.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By upwarDBound

It doesn't even cross my mind. I stopped caring about achievements a long time ago.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I don't buy a game based on its achievements. Nonetheless, the first thing I do when I plug a game in and pull up the achievements list so I know if there is anything special I should be looking for or doing while I play the game in order to possibly bust an achievement here or there.

For me, achievements should fulfill one of two needs: either offering an idea of progression or an alternative way of tackling a situation. I think that the achievements in Call of Duty: World at War were some of the best I've ever seen personally, as they made you take on all these different situations with a very different thought process. Sniping a guy who is over 100 feet away with a bullet? Killing three guys with one bullet? It's things like that which make me happy because I know that they are offering me something of a challenge. Those challenges aren't always the most difficult things, but they are incredibly satisfying nonetheless.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

No. I like achievements, but I don't usually go out of my way to get them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

No, I don't even think about achievements when purchasing games. I'll check the achievements after I go through a game if I like it enough, and look for specific ones first, like beating a game on hard, and if I really like it enough, I'll try to get more. It's mostly there to give me another reason to explore the game more, and it makes me believe I have more knowledge and experience on the game. I try not to use them competitively, though if someone that I know is worse than me at games has more achievements or trophies on a game that I love, I'll wonder why, and probably be slightly (very slightly) miffed, this has only happened a few times though. Anyways! No, I don't really care about achievements and they don't affect my purchase of any game.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Deleth

Actually, yes they do. If I know from the get go that there are some achievments I wont be able to complete, or that would take a massive ammount of time I often pass on said game.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By kindgineer

It use to, but now I just use them to make my experience in a game longer. I generally don't look at a games achievo's until I've beaten it once (unless it's a JRPG, then I guide it up). Rayman Origins is a great example, I am playing it with my wife for my first play through and will eventually be going after the achievements after we're done. Mainly because sitting on a certain level trying to complete them for achievements takes the fun out of the game for me.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By foggel
@ccampb89: If it's a game that I've been looking forward to for a long time I won't look at the achievement list (Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Assassins Creed etc). But if I'm going to pick up a game that has been out a while (The Darkness for example), the list affects me a lot. 

For those who are interested I did not get The Darkness.
Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I usually won't look up achievement lists until I have bought and put in the game. However after that, depending on the list, it may very strongly impact how I play through the game.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

No, I don't even think about achievements when purchasing games.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@jakob187: Duder! That is exactly what I do

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Capum15

Nope. Not at all.

DemBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DemBones

No.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By pantzing_nome

One of the reasons I didn't buy the Halo Reach DLC was because it had achievements that ended in numbers that weren't a 5 or a 0.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By foggel
@pantzing_nome said:

One of the reasons I didn't buy the Halo Reach DLC was because it had achievements that ended in numbers that weren't a 5 or a 0.

I'm not alone!
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

I only look at achievements if I own the game, so no.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pantzing_nome

@foggel said:

@pantzing_nome said:

I'm not alone!

No you're not, in the quick look for the Halo: Reach Noble Map Pack Brad says he's not going to buy it when he sees achievements worth 42 and 13 points.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By biospank

I don't care about achivments one the xbox because that was one of the reasons why did not stay for too long on that system. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't care too much about achievements/ trophies. i just look at easy ones that i can get and go for them. i enjoy the easy the most because they are so easy, get to level XX, beat the game on normal. eventually i will get to that high level and beat the game.

DWN2550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DWN2550

the only time I look at achievements / trophy's is if the game is super bad and if it has easy achievements then I will wait till it gets reduced to the bargain bin then buy it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By JJOR64

At one point it kinda did when I was a whore. Now, I don't give a shit.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By aspaceinvader

No not at all. But I do find that there is a major trend in putting in secret achievements, which you have no idea how to get. I think worst achievements have to be the ones that have you get the number 1 spot on a multiplayer leader board and then for so little reward.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, definitely not.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Castiel

Nope. If you play games only for the achievements/trophies you might as well do everyone a favor and plant a bullet in your head, cause then you are fuckin' stupid.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Not really. What it does do is let me try different things I would NEVER do otherwise. Case in point; Beating the High Mile Club mission on Veteran.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rebel_Scum

No and why would it?

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By therabidfrog

I don't even consider the achievements lists. Don't even know what it is until the game has been purchased or rented from Gamefly.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By zyn

It did, but now, not so much.

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Definitely not. I rarely go for ANY achievements in games, and just let myself gather them naturally. I have never S-ranked a game and probably never will, but I enjoy the play experience.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Humanity

I thought people that dictated purchases based on achievements were CRAZY but then I bought NFS Carbon and I was enjoying the game for what it was worth until I realized there were barely any single player achievements for it and that completely turned me off from playing it. It did make me feel ashamed a little.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By SMTDante89

Used to, not anymore.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tescovee

I guess I'm a crazy person, Half the time I enjoy the meta game of getting the cheevos more then the actual game. I also check out the list before picking a game up. Alas' Ill never get to play 'Pray'. The only problem is I end up pissing away time. Imagine what I could of accomplished in the time it took me to get all the orbs in enslaved or all the jumps and pigeons in GTA?

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By foggel
@Castiel said:

Nope. If you play games only for the achievements/trophies you might as well do everyone a favor and plant a bullet in your head, cause then you are fuckin' stupid.

You don't understand the topic.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By pyromagnestir

All else being equal if a game I want has achievements that are easy to get I'll play it on 360, if they seem hard to get I'll play it on PS3.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Castiel

@foggel said:

@Castiel said:

Okay let me rephrase it then:

Nope. If you purchase games only for the achievements/trophies you might as well do everyone a favor and plant a bullet in your head, cause then you are fuckin' stupid.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karl_Boss

Not if its a game a know I want to play....if its a game I'm on the fence about it can have an influence.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By sickVisionz

Of course not. This guy summed it up best:

@Castiel said:

@foggel said:

@Castiel said:

Okay let me rephrase it then:

Nope. If you purchase games only for the achievements/trophies you might as well do everyone a favor and plant a bullet in your head...

NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By NorthSarge

I only care about achievements after a game is in my hands. Unless its a downloadable game. Then i might check it out, because that could drastically change the longevity of the game.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kiro

Good achievements are always a plus. But bad achievements doesn't make a game bad. If i was planning to buy a game, achievements doesn't change that.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By BulletproofMonk

No. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Yanngc33

Unless it's a free 1000G, no

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Back when I was really into achievements, I wouldn't play a game if it didn't have a lot of points from the story or easy to get. Since I hit 100k, I've pretty much removed that 'rule' and just play and get whatever I can. I won't lie and say it totally don't matter cause I still like to be rewarded for finishing a level and killing so many xxx. :D