Does the option of DLC limit the content in original game?

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

Now that Downloadable content is so prevalent in gaming, does the developer's option to put in DLC limit the extra content they might have put in the original game, and then charge $5-10 for it?
For example, Fable II was generally a short game through the Main Quest. Now that DLC has been announced for December, 2 months after the release, does  anybody elses eyebrows raise in the sense perhaps they could have included this in the original game?

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Megalon

It absolutely does, at least with most games. I'm hoping devs don't get too carried away with this in the future, but I think it's inevitable that we're going to see more and more examples of this.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

The best example of this would be Beautiful Katamari for the 360, which charged players for content that was already on the disc. Although this extreme case has not been seen in many other games, it proves that DLC is limiting what would have already been included on the disc.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Fable 2 is easily 20-25 hours if you go around doing everything. It's got no shortage of content.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By whackmypinata
Jayge said:
"Fable 2 is easily 20-25 hours if you go around doing everything. It's got no shortage of content."
That's not my point. I'm saying that only 2 months after the release of the game, DLC was already announced. With such a little span in time from the release, it's a common idea to think why they couldn't put this content on the disk, regardless. $60 is a steep price, and with this DLC costing likely somewhere between $5-10, it's around $70 including tax for the original game with the DLC.brukaoru said:
"The best example of this would be Beautiful Katamari for the 360, which charged players for content that was already on the disc. Although this extreme case has not been seen in many other games, it proves that DLC is limiting what would have already been included on the disc."
That is ridiculous. I really hope this isn't a trend.
Megalon
said:
"It absolutely does, at least with most games. I'm hoping devs don't get too carried away with this in the future, but I think it's inevitable that we're going to see more and more examples of this."
Sadly, I agree. I wonder if games will be becoming shorter and shorter, only to come out with more downloadable content.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By dsplayer1010
brukaoru said:
"The best example of this would be Beautiful Katamari for the 360, which charged players for content that was already on the disc. Although this extreme case has not been seen in many other games, it proves that DLC is limiting what would have already been included on the disc."
Soul Calibur IV did that too with the whole Vader/Yoda thing
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Fable 2 is a VERY bad point seeing as how much longer it is than the first

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sionweeks

Yes. Look at SCIV, it may only have one character of DLC, but being the money grabbing bastards that they are, they screwed everyone over with the DLC.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I think that the worst cases are the ones as SC IV, where the content is already on the disc. Lesser cases but bad still are those that receive DLC on the same day-week that they release, or even before release.
I think that the DLC that comes a couple of weeks, or months after the game is released is not bad. In the past, we wouldhave:
A- Never seen that content
B- Would have seen the release of an Special Edition of the game with that new content

So, in some way, DLC is good, and in other, bad. Its like anything in life, nothing is perfect you know, so the best you can do to avoid the first 2 cases, is not buying the DLC, or buying much later.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By whackmypinata
DragoonKain1687 said:
"I think that the worst cases are the ones as SC IV, where the content is already on the disc. Lesser cases but bad still are those that receive DLC on the same day-week that they release, or even before release.
I think that the DLC that comes a couple of weeks, or months after the game is released is not bad. In the past, we wouldhave:
B- Would have seen the release of an Special Edition of the game with that new content

So, in some way, DLC is good, and in other, bad. Its like anything in life, nothing is perfect you know, so the best you can do to avoid the first 2 cases, is not buying the DLC, or buying much later."
If the DLC comes weeks after it's most likely been in production since before the game was released, which is why I think it should be on the disk.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb

It depends. If you are talking about a short game, the DLC of which comes out shortly after release, then yes I agree with you. However, in the case of a game like Oblivion which is literally brimming with content, DLC actually expands the game's content. I'm sure the guys over at Bethesda had some really grandiose ideas, that were brilliant and expansive, but at a certain point they had to say, "Hey, if we don't draw a line, this game will never get finished."

This is where DLC comes in. I don't know whether or not some of the ideas like the Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, and Mehrunes' Razor were floating around the studio before Oblivion's launch, but regardless these are perfect in terms of additional content that should not have necessarily been included in the original game; if only for the sake of time and resources.

Savvy?

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By DragoonKain1687
whackmypinata said:
"DragoonKain1687 said:
"I think that the worst cases are the ones as SC IV, where the content is already on the disc. Lesser cases but bad still are those that receive DLC on the same day-week that they release, or even before release.

So, in some way, DLC is good, and in other, bad. Its like anything in life, nothing is perfect you know, so the best you can do to avoid the first 2 cases, is not buying the DLC, or buying much later."
If the DLC comes weeks after it's most likely been in production since before the game was released, which is why I think it should be on the disk."
Not really. Lets take God of War 2 for example. If you watch the DVD that comes with it, many sections where left half done and not included and one is showned, it was an attack to the city of Attika if I remember correctly. This kind of things happens all the times, sections getting cut due to time limits. That extra weeks of work can finish the level, debug it and then offer it to the public, which are levels that in the past, would have been left in the devs hands unfinished.
Ichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Ichi

Some games are worse at this than others, but I'd rather developers just start working on their next game rather than making DLC.  In the case of Fable 2, I have beaten the game before the DLC comes out and I'm not even that interested in the game anymore.