Donkey kong Country returns, The wii Game of the Year

Sieferx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sieferx2

Donkey Kong country returns is not just the wii game of the year, it's also hovering up in the highest echelons with Super mario galaxy as one of the finest games available for
nintendo's beloved console. Paying homage to one of the greatest platforming games ever made, DKCR is beautiful example of retro studios in the prime of their creativity.

As a gamer who holds the original platforming classic in such high regard, my personal expectations for this game were nearly insurmountable. I had been waiting nearly sixteen years for a true follow up ( or faithful homage) to Donkey Kong country so when i heard that critically acclaimed "retro studios" was going to be at the helm of a new 2d donkey kong game, my heart was overjoyed. Perhaps part of what makes this game so special could be the incredible circumstances surrounding its origins. Taken straight from the wiki

"At that time(april 2008), Shigeru Miyamoto wanted to create a new Donkey Kong game and, at his request, producer Kensuke Tanabe recommended Michael Kelbaugh, the CEO of Retro Studios, who had previously worked on the Donkey Kong Country series while he was employed at Nintendo of America. Satoru Iwata frequently referred to this turn of events as "fate" in his meetings with Retro Studios, which is why Kelbaugh suggested the homophonous project codename F8".

When Nintendo starts throwing words around like "fate"...you know your in good shape.

Donkey Kong Country returns revamps the pre-rendered art style of the original series, with a new more organic visual presentation. A risky change, but the end result is a game that is literally exploding off every inch of your television with some of the most polished,vibrant, visuals available on the wii. As a gamer who plays quite a few wii games i couldn't help but feel retro studios had tapped some hidden graphical well buried deep within the wii's core. The layers of depth and detail displayed here (especially for a 2d platformer) are unparalleled.

Even more impressive was how much the environment would react to donkey Kong in very simple, yet natural ways you raley see in a game of this nature. For example when you ground pound in certain areas not only does the surface below your feet ripple and shake but the trees and overgrowth in the immediate background shake as well! Ill be honest it would have been really interesting to see a studio tackle the original Pre-rendered graphical style that Donkey Kong country sported back in 1994 ...but the move retro studios made here was very wise. The visual approach was the first step in infusing donkey Kong country returns with its own identity, while paying homage to the original.

Controls are everything in a platformer and i was happy to find the original feel of the classic games in tact. Sure at first controlling donkey kong can feel a bit sluggish compared to many other modern platformers....but that's where the challenge lies. Sure Mr. Kong may not move with the speed of something like super meatboy, but in return the player is treated to a platforming experience that requires and rewards "patience". At first i was skeptical about losing the "tag team" setup from the original games. I always loved switching between donkey Kong or Diddy Kong on the fly and when Donkey Kong when down...you had the swift and agile Diddy to bring up the rear(ahem..). However the new setup works fantastic. Now when Donkey Kong comes across a "DK barrel" Diddy hitches a ride on donkey kongs back, thus allowing donkey Kong to acquire 2 extra hearts(wich help quite a bit) and the ability to soar for short periods of time via a cute little jet pack that diddy kong is wearing. Some of the scenes with Diddy Kong riding on Donkey Kongs back gave the game a strong "ICONIC" feel(especially in the silhouette levels that absolutely steal the show). Different yet....incredibly balanced. Another example of retro studios cleverly forging their own identity with "returns".

I must be honest when i say the original donkey kong country separates itself into legendary category for me with its incredibly classic, ethereal music. Mario games have always have had a slightly more obnoxious bounce to their melodies, while sonic games lean a bit more toward the relaxing-electronic inspired gaming tunes. Donkey kong just really does it for me in the music department and here retro studios has done a great job bringing back many of the original classics as well as some incredible new tracks that are sure to get stuck in your head for days. The musical vibe tends to be a bit more "upbeat" than the original overall, but that definitely works to the benefit of the overall experience. Playing this game makes you feel all the familiar "happy pangs" of a kid on christmas morning.

Donkey Kong country returns is not only one of the finest games to grace a nintendo console in years it really reminded me of that classic "feeling" i had playing a great nintendo game in my youth.The charm is through the roof, and the visuals are absolutely staggering for a wii game. Nothing here is revolutionary by any means, but retro studios have ever so lovingly created one of the most complete traditional 2d platforming games ive ever played. Developing a game like this can be tricky. You need to summon much of the nostalgia and charm that the original games provided, while carving out your own identity, and in this regard Donkey Kong Country Returns is a complete success.  

Would love your thoughts!
mo

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By FreakAche

Sorry, but did you just say that not using pre-rendered graphics in 2010 is a "risky change"? What?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By mesoian

Mario galaxy 2. 

I'm sorry, I like DCKR a lot, but it doesn't come close to MG2. 

Mostly due to the unresponsiveness in the waggle controls. The fact that rolling is now a liability makes donkey kong even more useless than in the 16 bit days. I will say though, after using a geckOS cheat that mapped all waggle features to the B button, the game was FAR more enjoyable.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Meh to DKC Returns. For one, it's not even close to the best game on the Wii, and two, it's not better than Goldeneye. I'd rather replay Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3 on the SNES again.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kjellm87

I've playing the crap out of the game, almost got everything and was blown away by the design.
I say YES

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

Donkey Kong Country was NOT one of the greatest platformers of all time. Get the hell out of here with that shit. It was a mediocre platformer that just happened to look very pretty. If you want originality and fun, check out Dynamite Headdy which beats DKC in every way possible.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I love this game, no doubt.  

But I can't help but feel like a few of the levels should have more than one checkpoint placed in them. Specifically, anything mine-cart related. I've been put off playing this game several times by some cheap deaths. 

But all in all, Donkey Kong Country Returns is easily my second favorite Wii game this year. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I'm not sure about other sites, but Kirby's Epic Yarn will probably win the Wii GotY on Giant Bomb. That's my guess.

Mrsomeone77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Mrsomeone77

It is good fun. Hard and slightly cheap on the death front, but good fun nonetheless. I still have to put more time in on it to say whether I agree or not, but it does for sure bring me back to the days of the SNES, when I'd spend every free moment trying to beat those games. Game of the year for Wii? For sure. But that doesn't say much really... since I rarely turn that thing on anyways.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh SMG2 was way better. 

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nick_verissimo
@Mesoian said:
" Mario galaxy 2.     
 I'm sorry, I like DCKR a lot, but it doesn't come close to MG2.  "
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nickux

You know it's weird because for some reason I kept hearing a lot of negativity surrounding the Wii this year but looking back on 2010 I played a hell of a lot of good games on the Wii. 

No More Heroes 2 
Silent Hill Shattered Memories 
Super Mario Galaxy 2 
Metroid Other M 
Kirby's Epic Yarn  
Goldeneye 
Donkey Kong Country Returns 

That's not too shabby really. For me, I think Galaxy 2 wins though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

DKC was cool but I forgot SMG 2 came out in the same year so I give it to Mario.

Sieferx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sieferx2

With all due respect to mario,

It seems like people give mario the edge SIMPLY because he's...well...mario. Thats just not right. Mario galaxy had its time in the limelight and as great as SMG2 was it defintley felt very recycled. Hell it had a "2" in the title...

Just on PRINCIPLE shouldnt we be looking to award the fresher games, the new wonders. Give donkey kong the due it deserves. Hell DKCR is so good, if retro had swapped donkey kong for mario people would be hailing it as the greatest 2d platformer ever...which it nearly is...

Principle people

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Ghostiet
@MysteriousBob said:
" Donkey Kong Country was NOT one of the greatest platformers of all time. Get the hell out of here with that shit. It was a mediocre platformer that just happened to look very pretty. If you want originality and fun, check out Dynamite Headdy which beats DKC in every way possible. "
Opinion = fact.
mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By mesoian
@Sieferx2 said:
"  With all due respect to mario,  It seems like people give mario the edge SIMPLY because he's...well...mario. Thats just not right. Mario galaxy had its time in the limelight and as great as SMG2 was it defintley felt very recycled. Hell it had a "2" in the title...  Just on PRINCIPLE shouldnt we be looking to award the fresher games, the new wonders. Give donkey kong the due it deserves. Hell DKCR is so good, if retro had swapped donkey kong for mario people would be hailing it as the greatest 2d platformer ever...which it nearly is...  Principle people "
And that's fair, because all Mario Galaxy 2 is is more Mario Galaxy. 

However, that being said, MG2 is still a better put together game than Donkey Kong Country Returns. While it doesn't do anything new, MG2 takes the gameplay formula that had already been establish and further perfected it. DKCR has a LOT of problems from the lack of responsive controls to a very very spartan layout to some very poor design choices (ALL of world 4 is terrible. All of it) . Next year, if Retro gets another go at it, I think we'll see something really impressive, but this year with this iteration, DCKR failed to surpass Mario Galaxy as the better game. 

@Ghostiet said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" Donkey Kong Country was NOT one of the greatest platformers of all time. Get the hell out of here with that shit. It was a mediocre platformer that just happened to look very pretty. If you want originality and fun, check out Dynamite Headdy which beats DKC in every way possible. "
Opinion = fact. "

No, I agree, Dynamite Heady is better than DKC. It is also about a million times harder than all of the DKC games put together. It is truly a game built for 16 bit masochists.
RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By RavenX302

Regardless if it wins or not, to me, the exclusives on the Wii has looked better the last few exclusives on the xbox and PS3 for this past while. At least the actually exclusives. I may have to dust off my old wii and fire it up some time over the holidays. That Mario All star collection looks good as well.

Sieferx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sieferx2

@mesoian
 yousaid.

And that's fair, because all Mario Galaxy 2 is is more Mario Galaxy. 

However, that being said, MG2 is still a better put together game than Donkey Kong Country Returns. While it doesn't do anything new, MG2 takes the gameplay formula that had already been establish and further perfected it. DKCR has a LOT of problems from the lack of responsive controls to a very very spartan layout to some very poor design choices (ALL of world 4 is terrible. All of it) . Next year, if Retro gets another go at it, I think we'll see something really impressive, but this year with this iteration, DCKR failed to surpass Mario Galaxy as the better game.  

Donkey kong country returns just seemed to brim with more energy than SMG2. The controls felt tighter, and to be honest it looked MUCH better.
I think people forget SMG2 fatal flaw, in that in order to progress from one world to the next the game throws an "arbitrary number of stars up" that the gamer must have collected. How  frustrating is it to get to the end of the world and have the game tell you " stop dude you need 7 more stars before you can fight this boss". Its a cheap method of extended the playfthrough to be honest.

Both games use the traditional life system...which...is more of a neutrality i guess. Also SMG2 felt very...."recycled". I think those are many fair reasons why DKCR should get the nod this year

There is a bit of a subconcious bias from the gaming massess simply because SMG2 stars....well...mario for christsake. Thats not to say that its an incredible game, but stepping back DKCR stands out as the must play platformer of 2010 (barley edging super meat boy).

Have a great one

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By mau64
@Mesoian said:
" Mario galaxy 2.   I'm sorry, I like DCKR a lot, but it doesn't come close to MG2.   Mostly due to the unresponsiveness in the waggle controls. The fact that rolling is now a liability makes donkey kong even more useless than in the 16 bit days. I will say though, after using a geckOS cheat that mapped all waggle features to the B button, the game was FAR more enjoyable. "
I'm with this guy and many others. Mario Galaxy 2 was just such a ridiculous game in terms of level design and sheer amount of variety.
Sieferx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sieferx2

@Mau64

I defintley understand where your coming from.

Although id say as far as donkey kong is concerned...for a "2D" platformer, the level design and variety was just as impressive, and the visuals were much stronger than SMG2. I just think it must be taken into account what can be done with a "2d'"sidescroller, and that makes the game at least "equally" as impressive if nothing else.

have a great one

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Hizang

I have not played it, I highly enjoyed Mario Galaxy 2