Epic Rant!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

Allright Am I the only one that found Epic games fetish for Absurdly unproportional Muscular male characters disturbing? Like do they think we are all gay or retards in need of a meat head hero?  Honestly I thoug Gears of Wars was a phase but now this Bulletstorm BS .. wtf man.. not even Blizzard models are so annoying.  

rant over

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

The definition of rant seems to have changed when I wasn't looking. 

Also, no. No I don't. It fits in the context of their games.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

It's just there goofy style.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

They are not foe the gay audience, they are just their style of characters

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

hey they have a style and stick to it, I could say the same about nintendo characters. Just avoid the games then....

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@DonPixel:
I dunno, I do like me some muscly men 
besides would you rather the alternative? I don't think I could believe a scrawny or overweight dude doing the things Marcus does
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

lol

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

This rant is not epic at all.

Thanks for lying to me you gay, meat-loving retard.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

lol its not really a phase, and it didnt start with gears of war; theyve been doing it for ages.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By audiosnag

I dunno if I'd call this a rant....maybe more of a short paragraph. 
Whatever, it's what Epic does. I don't really see the connection between large dudes and gay retards.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PillClinton

the absurdity of their character models makes me chuckle.  i like that.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By meteora
@100_Hertz said:
" the absurdity of their character models makes me chuckle.  i like that. "
And consequently we all hate on the Japanese character models for being the glaringly opposite of the muscular Western characters.
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton
@Meteora said:
" @100_Hertz said:
" the absurdity of their character models makes me chuckle.  i like that. "
And consequently we all hate on the Japanese character models for being the glaringly opposite of the muscular Western characters. "
well that makes me chuckle too.  i also like that. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

aww i was hoping for something more epic..... it wasn't even epic. 

it is just the style that they go with. i am not bothered by this because it is the way the game is. on a side note for some reason this got me thinking of resident evil 5 at the ending. when chris roidrages and moves the giant bolder. for a not so big guy with muscle moving a rock yeah.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I hope to Christ the OP never reads a comic book if he thinks Gears of War is the worst of it. 

That said, they're mostly bulky because of their armour. They look ripped but relatively normal outside of it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@KingWilly said:
" I hope to Christ the OP never reads a comic book if he thinks Gears of War is the worst of it.  That said, they're mostly bulky because of their armour. They look ripped but relatively normal outside of it. "
Their biceps are thicker than their skulls.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By subject2change

BACK IN MY DAY RANTS WERE FULL OF CAPITAL LETTERS, EXCESSIVE FUCKING SWEARING AND A COMPLETE AND TOTAL HATRED. NOW A DAYS THEY ARE SINGLE SENTENCES, GOD I HATE CHANGE. End of rant.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
" I hope to Christ the OP never reads a comic book if he thinks Gears of War is the worst of it.  That said, they're mostly bulky because of their armour. They look ripped but relatively normal outside of it. "
Their biceps are thicker than their skulls. "
You've never been around a body builder, have you?
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By mazik765

This epic rant is lacking in both epicness and ranting. It's more an underwhelming comment, really.

Also, why did you think GoW was a 'phase'? The Unreal Tournament games all had character models like that and they precede GoW. It's the developers style, get used to it or don't play the games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel
@KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
You've never been around a body builder, have you? "
Body builders typically don't run around battlefields wielding tank cannons.  Trained soldiers have physiques that sacrifice pure muscle for a greater sense of overall fitness.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I don't play Gears of War for the characters or the story >.>

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FourWude

Subversive homosexual undertones in many EPIC games. That and overt military fetishism. I think the two go hand in hand.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By benpack

I'd rather have a meathead wielding a chainsaw gun than some androgynous dude from Final Fantasy. Not saying I hate those characters either, but they all have their place.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
Body builders typically don't run around battlefields wielding tank cannons.  Trained soldiers have physiques that sacrifice pure muscle for a greater sense of overall fitness. "
I had no idea that all soldiers were the same. Here I was thinking that they were a diverse group of people from many different backgrounds and walks of life. 

That's what the recruitment officer said, anyhow.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yinstarrunner

It's the only kind of character Epic has ever been able to model.  I don't know if it's because their art department sucks or if they're trying to stick to a "style", but it annoys me too.  I'm just tired of looking at them.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Seroth

I prefer it to the extremely feminine-looking male characters of many Japanese games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
@KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
Body builders typically don't run around battlefields wielding tank cannons.  Trained soldiers have physiques that sacrifice pure muscle for a greater sense of overall fitness. "
I had no idea that all soldiers were the same. Here I was thinking that they were a diverse group of people from many different backgrounds and walks of life.  That's what the recruitment officer said, anyhow. "
All soldiers go through the same training to emphasize the same fitness requirements.  It's standard military practice.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beej
@Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
I had no idea that all soldiers were the same. Here I was thinking that they were a diverse group of people from many different backgrounds and walks of life.  That's what the recruitment officer said, anyhow. "
All soldiers go through the same training to emphasize the same fitness requirements.  It's standard military practice. "
Wasn't his point that they look relatively normal? Not that they look like soldiers? Or did I miss something here.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck

You're not good at ranting. It's not even a whole paragraph. Plus I don't know what thoug means. Are you saying Marcus Fenix is a thug?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
@beej:   His point was that soldiers come from all walks of life.  Short-order cooks.  Body builders.  Whatever.  But the fitness requirements of a body builder aren't the same as those of a soldier, and thus the body builder's physique would likely change from the altered workout.
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Noodles
@FancySoapsMan said:
" This rant is not epic at all.  Thanks for lying to me you gay, meat-loving retard. "
I just had some baby back ribs.

Shit was delicious.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Hailinel said:
" @beej:   His point was that soldiers come from all walks of life.  Short-order cooks.  Body builders.  Whatever.  But the fitness requirements of a body builder aren't the same as those of a soldier, and thus the body builder's physique would likely change from the altered workout. "
Okay that is just fucking ignorant. 

A body builder is a body builder. They love to lift weights and they love the benefit from strenuous work out. They will not change that just because they're in the military. If anything, the stresses of the military fitness regimen would make them happier to do what they do normally. A small, wiry man is going to be a small, wiry man, no matter if he's trained in the military or by what branch. A tall, thick guy is going to be a tall, thick guy, and so on and so forth. 

Seriously, what are you even arguing here? That the soldiers in Gears should be uniformly thin like the rest of the human population outside of the CoG? If that's the case, that'd be betraying the fiction of the universe, since the Gears who fight the Locust are the most well fed members of the human race. That and their intense workout regimen (and whatever substances they may have to enhance performance) is why they're generally more well-built than the average person. Hell, I'll break it down for you. 

Dominic Santiago is a shorter fellow, but he's wide. He's not the most muscularly defined of the group. 

Marcus Fenix is a fairly tall fellow, with an adequate frame that proportionally matches his height. 

Damon Baird is a thin fellow, and while he is certainly "thicker" than the average citizen, that has more to do with how well fed he is, not that he's muscular. 

Augustus Cole is a stereotypical giant black man. 

That's the main cast of Gears. All of them have a basis in reality. Outside of their armour they look more "human" I guess is the word you want.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
@KingWilly:   All right, then.  Explain to me how, in the military, particularly in boot camp, body builders can be afforded the same time to perform the same fitness regimen that would be required of them to maintain a competition-worthy physique when their schedules are dictated for them from the word go.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly:   All right, then.  Explain to me how, in the military, particularly in boot camp, body builders can be afforded the same time to perform the same fitness regimen that would be required of them to maintain a competition-worthy physique when their schedules are dictated for them from the word go. "
You have absolutely no idea how the military works if you think soldiers are not afforded personal time. 

Hell, you probably think they don't even get weekends.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

I have a feeling that Hailinel's biggest dissapointment of 2011 is still going to be "You". 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
@KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly:   All right, then.  Explain to me how, in the military, particularly in boot camp, body builders can be afforded the same time to perform the same fitness regimen that would be required of them to maintain a competition-worthy physique when their schedules are dictated for them from the word go. "
You have absolutely no idea how the military works if you think soldiers are not afforded personal time.  Hell, you probably think they don't even get weekends. "
No, I know that they get personal time.  But I'm pretty sure that the personal time that they're granted is likely not enough to maintain a bodybuilder's physique.  Then again, I'm also not an expert.  I could be wrong.  Doesn't mean that you're right, though.  We could both be wrong together!
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Enigma777

This is neither epic nor a rant at all.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Hailinel said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @Hailinel said:
You have absolutely no idea how the military works if you think soldiers are not afforded personal time.  Hell, you probably think they don't even get weekends. "
No, I know that they get personal time.  But I'm pretty sure that the personal time that they're granted is likely not enough to maintain a bodybuilder's physique.  Then again, I'm also not an expert.  I could be wrong.  Doesn't mean that you're right, though.  We could both be wrong together! "
To maintain a physique similar to that of a body builder you must have the genetics, for one, the rest involves maintaining strict dietary habits, regular workout time of at least one hour (preferably three to four) for two to three days a week. Any more than that and you run a number of health risks due to how intense the workout can be. 

Once you gain that mass, it's a matter of maintaining it. That part is fairly easy and is not quite as demanding as getting there in the first place.
Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Th3dz

Marcus Fenix has been working out since he was 0 years old, and the Gears are badass, they have to be muscular!