European prices

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zungerman090

Planning on buying Vita (or 3DS) next year. Going to be staying in UK though, so have to put up with much higher prices. Can I import? If I do, will they slap a tax on it? If anyone ever had experience with this sort of thing, I'd like to know about it. Thanks

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By matoya

If you're unfortunate, they'll collar you with import taxes at customs, which can be up to 40 quid or so. You need to make sure they're not region locked aswell buddy - in their SHOP and also in their actual games!!

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By cosi83

3DS is at 159 now in some places. We get treated so badly

Avatar image for the_dead_parrot
the_dead_parrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_dead_parrot
Well for the Vita 3G/Wifi version its approximately  $299.99 which works out about £190 at current rates. You would also have postage to the UK which  wouldn't  be cheap. GAME over here have it for pre-order at £280. So maths hat on thats £90 difference. Sounds like a saving but if it gets caught in customs it would be charged around £40 based on its value. Also you would have warranty and possibly region issues.   

All in all just take the hit like all us brits have to.
buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By buft

We'll take the dollar to sterling conversion on a one to one basis like the good little bitches we are.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zungerman090
@the_dead_parrot: That sucks. Eh.... Should be cheaper though. Heard that it will be released in Europe in 2012. Once again, Europe gets the shorter end of the stick.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yanngc33

The brits and any country with the euro gets fucked over on video game prices to the point that I close my eyes when buying them (so that explains why they're all shit...). I would not recommend you buy video games in Europe

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
@Yanngc33 said:

The brits and any country with the euro gets fucked over on video game prices to the point that I close my eyes when buying them (so that explains why they're all shit...). I would not recommend you buy video games in Europe

Some of us non-euro people get even more fucked over, new games can cost up to $120 over here. Your point still stands, though. Don't buy game related things in most Europe if you have another option.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Yanngc33

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Some of us non-euro people get even more fucked over, new games can cost up to $120 over here. Your point still stands, though. Don't buy game related things in most Europe if you have another option.

Where in the world do you live????

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By matoya
@Yanngc33 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Prob Australia
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Australia seems to get fucked hardest routinely.

Glad I live in America, for once.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

Haha, I'm used to European prices by now!

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Matoya said:
@Yanngc33 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Prob Australia
Nope, Schweden, though $120 is rare, normal prices are around $110.
Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By Danteveli

They may put tax on stuff ordered from ouside of Europe plus many shop doesnt ship stuff here.

reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By reddin

I have only ever imported games, and have been hit once by import taxes. Funny thing is even with import tax and shipping it usually comes out cheaper. And a lot of the times it doesn't even hit the threshold where I should start paying import tax.

On hardware the chances of having to pony up the tax seem higher, but my sister moved to the US earlier this year, so I'll have her send me a Vita if I want one. Or I'll pick one up when I go visit her.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By alternate

approx 10% import duty on electrical, 20% VAT and courier handling fee (usually £4-10).  It isn't that bad against for UK nationals if you consider US price excludes sales tax but if you are converting $ to £, with the current exchange rate, you are going to feel sore afterwards.