Extra-Life 2016 Giant Bomb Team: Can't Stop Won't Stop (November 5th)

• 141 results
matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matt
No Caption Provided

Extra-Life

It’s that time of year again and that means Extra-Life is back! Extra-Life is an annual gaming event where people play games for 24 hours to raise money for children’s hospitals. This year Extra-Life will be happening on November 5th.

Last year the Giant Bomb team passed a massive milestone. Since the Giant Bomb team has been participating in Extra-Life (2011) we’ve raised over $500,00. $530,989.99 to be exact. That’s over HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!

Getting Involved

Let’s face it. Most of us are playing video games for a disgusting amount of time anyway. It may as well be for a good cause AND IT’S SO EASY TO JOIN! Go to www.extra-life.org, sign up and join the Giant Bomb team. You can join the team during the sign up process or by going to the team page and hitting join www.extra-life.org/team/giantbomb.

How do I get people to give me money for the kids?

This is the hardest part but also the most rewarding. Social media is your best friend. Tweet it, tumbl it and Facebook share while you’re at it. Live streams are also a great way of getting donations. If you’re going to stream do everything you can to make it a quality production. We’re talking shiny graphics, lower thirds with a donation link, code giveaways e.c.t.

Finding a theme for your stream is also helps. It’s give you a goal and you’ll never. Maybe you’re going to play all of the Halo games because you’re crazy or maybe you’re going to play 24 hours of Dota 2 because you like good video games.

I'm a busy person with a job, kids and a crippling drug addiction. I don't have time to play video games!

No worries friend you can still help. Check out the roster of team Giant Bomb and donate to someone you like the look of.

I’ve read your words, I’ve signed up and joined the Giant Bomb team. What now?

This most important part of Extra-Life is the build up to November 5th. Use all that time to spread the word and plan your live stream. Once you’ve signed up post the link to your donation page and any live streams you may be doing in this thread. If you have any questions post them here and I’ll try to help out. This really is a community effort.

FAQ

Q: What if I can’t commit to that date or the entire time?

A: The idea and spirit of Extra Life is that everyone pulls together at the same time, but we know that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Don’t let a commitment on the 5th stop you from joining. Just do what you can and make up the game time later. What matters most is the time you put in BEFORE the event to raise money for these kids.

Q: What if I can’t finish the full 24 hours due to commitments or exhaustion?

A: If you won’t be able to finish the whole thing, you can make up the remaining hours later. It’s all on the honour system and what really matters is that we’re all raising money for a great cause. Your sponsors should know they are supporting the cause whether you crash on hour 18 or not.

Q: How is the money collected? Where does it go?

A: Credit card donations may be made on a participant's fundraising page. Cash and check donations will be collected by participants and submitted to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thanks for setting this up, I'm looking forward to doing this again! :D Only this time I won't be playing Chariot for 24 hours straight so I'm even MORE excited about the possibilities!

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By zolloz89

Joined up, for a 5th year! Also went to the Extra Life United tournament earlier this year and got PAID ($16,000) prize money for my hospital. Can't wait for this year.

bit.ly/jasonel

twitch.tv/zolloz89

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By trace
DirtyBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#7 riostarwind  Moderator

Time for some more Extra Life Shenanigans! I'm back again to play some new and old games. Not sure of the schedule yet but I'm planning on streaming twice a week to drum up some support before I even start my Extra Life marathon. Which will be split into two 12 hour chunks this year. Check out all the details here (Or at least the ones I posted so far.) http://www.extra-life.org/participant/riostarwind

Unless someone else wants to do it this year I'll be gathering all the info of all the streams posted here and put them into an easy to glance at blog post. Right now it isn't needed but once we have a bunch of participants it'll be good to have something for users to look at without having to go through mutiple pages of a forum post.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking about this again. Two twelve-hour splits seem the way to go. I threw the towel in last year with 90 minutes left. I also wound up with a Swedish child stalker who wouldn't stop messaging me for weeks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never done this before but I'm totally on board this year. Though, not sure if I can commit 24 hours straight, but I'll try my best. I have a super needy dog and help out around at home with my aging parents, BUT, I want to do what I can to donate and help some awesome kids!

I live in Toronto, Canada so I'll be donating to Toronto's SickKids Hospital :). Pledged $20 already on my own, I set a very modest goal of $100 -- going to try to get double/triple that hopefully.

Avatar image for ramblesnonsense
ramblesnonsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By ramblesnonsense

This year I'll be doing a full 24 hour solo stream on Saturday the 5th. I'll likely get some friends on skype, and have a discord server should anyone want to chat.

My donations will be going the the Cohen Children's hospital, which is part of the hospital where I had brain surgery earlier this summer.

So far here's the plan:

2425! HOURS, starting at 10AM Eastern - Realized it's dalight savings!

• First Game: Portal 2
  • Overwatch
  • Limbo
  • League of Legends (Aprox 9PM eastern)
  • Trine 2
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • Kerbal space program
  • and many more

http://www.twitch.tv/wedgestreams

http://tinyurl.com/WedgeStreams

Open Discord: https://discord.gg/MnTjPch

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife and I will be doing our second year! Last year we failed to hit our goal but raised more than we thought and it was a blast.

We'll do two 12 hour sessions like last time...but no clue what the theme will be this year yet. We'll figure something out.

Here's links if you guys want to donate and watch, we'll be doing some pre-Extra-Life streams too.

https://www.tinyurl.com/playing4thekids and https://www.twitch.tv/swansons

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I'm thinking about organizing a DOTA2 team for the day if anyone is interested. If there's enough interest, we could rotate players out in shifts so we don't all do full length because of well... life.

With all the time available, we could plan together cheese strats and wombo-combos just for the fun of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-615eaa5be3dd7
deactivated-615eaa5be3dd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm looking forward to participating in Extra Life again this year. Last year was my first time and this year I'm getting help from a friend and going for double.

I'll be streaming a week earlier on October 29th Australian EST as PAX Australia is happening the same weekend as Game Day. 24 hours of local multiplayer games.

My Extra Life and Twitch pages

I'm psyched

fearofthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PAX AUS is on that weekend! Goddamn it...

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year number 3 for me. Let's do it!

Extra Life: Here

Twitch: Here

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not 100% sure I can do it but I'm considering trying to stream this year for extra life :) I'll probably be attempting to finish the Wings of the Goddess expansion for FFXI.

vkbl111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to partake. I definately could pull the 24 hrs especially since I have a few friends willing to come over for the duration to help out. If you guys dont mind backwards-ass Mississippi (originally from Kiev, Ukraine) taking part :P If anyone could help with picking out a date/time and helping me out with what I should do, I would very much appreciate it. Only time I could not do it is Oct 16-18 as I have exams. Thanks beforehand!

Avatar image for feeltheillinois
FeeltheIllinois

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All signed up here. I've told my family/friends to support a different kind of idiot this November.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've been thinking of doing this this year, but I'll have to see if I can even stream out of my house first... Pretty excited because I've never done anything like this before!

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@auwiz said:

I'm looking forward to participating in Extra Life again this year. Last year was my first time and this year I'm getting help from a friend and going for double.

I'll be streaming a week earlier on October 29th Australian EST as PAX Australia is happening the same weekend as Game Day. 24 hours of local multiplayer games.

My Extra Life and Twitch pages

I'm psyched

A full 24hrs of Dota sounds like hell... good luck!

buser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buser

I've been participating in Extra Life for three years. I actually work for an advertising agency and 3 years ago i ran an Extra Life campaign on Giant Bomb and GameSpot. We did 100 hour Extra Life stream. It was awesome.

Love this cause.

Going to have a really crazy stream for the gamathon. Me and 15 other teammates are going all out. We have a huge game room all set up with TVs, consoles ranging from N64, Wii, WiiU, PS3, Xbox One and PS4. Everything will be streamed and there will be prizes being handed out as we reach our donation goal.

You can catch me geekign out on my Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/toadinman

If you just want to support me in this great cause feel free to donate at: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/buser

Outbr3ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like I'll be doing this again this year. Only raised like $300 last year, but everything about the production on this end last year felt rushed. This year, I think I'll rev up a bit by streaming as often as possible in October to work out most of the kinks in my setup. Had some stupid audio issues last year and I'd like to avoid all the nonsense this time around.

Had a great time last year, and I'm really looking forward to pushing my old ass through another weird 24 hours!

propgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just signed up, this will be my first year participating as a streamer but it looks like a lot of fun. I have been streaming my attempts at Hitman elusive targets so far to practice stream setup and feel that I have hit only the most basic level of competency (if that, but hey the stream manages to go online and a friend saw it). I figure what better way to improve than keep going, right?

I am going to try for the 24 hour stream solo, but will have an open invitation to my friends to stop by and support me. I also want to check in at my job to see if they offer any sort of charity matching or support.

My links are Extra Life Page and Twitch Page

Sojak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be my 4th year doing Extra Life, my first year on team Giant Bomb. I generally start my 24 hour stream early (so I can go to bed when it's still dark the next morning) and mostly solo, though there will be some board game streaming with friends in the evening. As for what games I'll be playing I haven't decided yet. In previous years I have kinda skipped around to whatever took my fancy, and sometimes played scary games after dark (I scare easily), but I was thinking about maybe devoting a large chunk of the time to one game I haven't played yet to see how far I can get. We shall see.

Here is my Extra Life Page and here is my Twitch Page

bpriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By bpriller

I am in, as always - This is my "I lost count year". Seriously, been doing it since it started. I finally found a DnD group so we may stream a good chunk of that, our average session is 5 -7 hours. Other than that, anything that strikes my fancy. But I do start every year with a play through of Shadow Complex. Only have 2 left to get, level 50 and Proving grounds to 100% it. I will definitely end the night with the continuation of the group play of Until Dawn.

PSN: rorshac

XBOX: rorshac

Battle.net Blizzard tech - Rorshac#1183 (Wow instances/Whatever, I am a tank - Judicar/Alliance/Whisperwind))

Hope to see some of you there. Good luck and FTK!

Donataion http://www.extra-life.org/participant/bradpriller

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/2idiotgamers

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/2idiotgamers

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been signed up for a while, but work life has kept me from checking into this thread (hi though!) or thinking about what I'm going to do. I streamed a bunch of Retron 5 and Fibbage stuff two years ago, but had to skip most of last year because of work. This will be my first year streaming for the team.

This year I really need to figure out what I'm doing. I have stream tech for days but I'm low on ideas. One somewhat uninspired idea that'd likely drive me crazy would be to see how far I can get in a marathon of Mega Man Legacy Collection, but I dunno, I feel like I can do better than that. Caladrius Blaze/Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours/etc. on stick? Twenty four hours of Hatsune Miku? Absolutely no structure whatsoever? I don't know!

Anyway, links. Extra Life: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/bss and Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/bsstephan

Woo!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By fattony12000
Warhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Warhopper

I'm going to try to throw my hat in this year. Going to start at noon on November 5th and play 24 hours.

I'm going to do a poll with some game options and switch between some of the highest polling picks, I'll list more specific details for each game when we get closer to the day. Also, some stuff may be added when I get closer to the date. Poll

Extra Life link (will post updates here)

Avatar image for afashionablehat
AFashionableHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AFashionableHat

Aiming for a 24-hour stream starting at noon on November 5th, too. This is my first year participating; as I've been working towards launching some not-video-game podcast/videocast stuff I've ended up in possession of a pretty decent little studio and I suppose I can turn one of the cameras off and plug some video games into the feed. I'll have some friends over for part of it and we'll see where this trainwreck goes.

As far as games go--I don't have the slightest idea. My happy bunch of idiots will probably be down for a bunch of four-player games; when they're not around I might see if I can do something I've never managed and get Clive in Suikoden II.

Extra Life page

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=226356

My page. I have joined the team and will update the stuff a bit later.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone ever thought of the idea Gextra Life, in which they play all of the Gex games? I thought of that shitty pun and also hate both having fun and myself, so that's a thing I would subject myself to so long as it's not a wholly unoriginal idea.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@yummytreesap: unfortunately (fortunately?) that's already been done earlier this year. If you look at the top teams on Extra Life, it should be one of them.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a few years of saying I'd do it... I finally did it! I'll be streaming on and off a few nights a week leading up to November 5.
I'm just going to be playing through a couple of games in my backlog for now: Fallout 4, Transformers Devastation, Diablo 3, Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, maybe some Dark Souls 3 and Overwatch. On November 5th, my friend and I will be playing through the whole Master Chief Collection if possible. Pardon the appearance of both pages.. this is the first time I ever even attempt to stream anything.

Extra Life Page

Twitch

Core647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frig it, I'm in again. Two 12 hour streams rather than the full 24... unless I change my mind. I owe the kids 90 minutes from last year's collapse. You can view this year's collapse at:

Twitch and donate here. I'm keeping it PS4-centric again and apparently I have 85 games associated with the console. I have no plan for this. NO PLAN!

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: This is pretty great. Though I'm not sure I can get behind Naruto references :P

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Glad you are on board..child-stalkers and all!

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, anyone know if we'll have a primary website for all duders that are streaming like in years past? I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but you guys know the one.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#44  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator
KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riostarwind: yes! Thank you totally forgot the name. Always great to have all of us in one place.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By teeknuts
Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shindig

I made an intense trailer. That's how you know I'm serious.

Loading Video...

Not serious enough to edit out the fact that it's the 5th / 6th November I'm doing it on. Oops.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually talked my friends to join me this year. but they wanted to make our own team so i feel guilty about not being on team GB this year.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By cornbredx

Nobody ever donates when I do this so I'm not sure what it really matters, but I'll be doing this again this year.

I'll edit my post when I have more details (where my stream will be for example). Just need to post this now so I remember.

juster25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This will be my 2nd annual Extra Life Lan party. Can't think of a better way or reason to have a bunch of my friends over and stay up all night playing games. I hope everyone's Extra Life campaigns are successful and fun!

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/juster