Fellow Gamers, I Have a Dream.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

I’m taking a break from my Mass Effect blogathon (that’s a blog and a marathon in one… Get it?) to write you, my esteemed compadres, with regard to a disturbing development within my psyche. I seem to be finding that… Well… I’m losing interest in online multiplayer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the concept is still awesome, but poor execution and abusive players seem to be ruining it for me.

I’m willing to admit that it may be my recent and heavy foray into Halo 3 multiplayer, but I can’t help but notice it elsewhere and especially in the collective gamer consciousness (if such a thing exists). Frustration and dissatisfaction with multiplayer games is mounting; from cheaters and erratic server-side lag to abusive players and indifferent companies that seem to censor only the unnecessary, I can’t be the only one who hears the cry for a reasonable online experience, both in customer satisfaction and the treatment of others. Call me a hippy, but I sure would like to get online one day and trade jokes with some other gamers without having to listen to someone on the opposite team ranting and raving about all of the deplorable things he’s done to my mother simply because the game didn’t put me on his side. Call me crazy, but I sure would like for a game to be released in its most finished state, without the need to patch it for six months post-release to make it playable (Gears of War 2 comes to mind…).

Despite those undoubtedly utopian ideas of mine (god knows I could never ask someone with the opportunity to be racist and insulting guilt-free to at least pretend to be educated), I know this will never happen. I know the hordes of online fanboys, trolls, bashers and sore losers can never be overcome. I know the sleazy developers riding on brand popularity out there won’t jump back on the good game bandwagon just because I bitch about it. So what am I to do? Retreat to my Mass Effects, my Bioshocks, my Lost Odysseys? Play Street Fighter IV strictly with my friends on a couch? I have a dream, friends.

I have a dream that one day online gamerdom will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “let’s get to it and slaughter each other like gentlemen.”

I have a dream that one day on the sandy hills of Sand Trap former fanboys and former sore losers will be able to frag each other with a sense of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the streets of Liberty City, a virtual metropolis crawling with the pseudo gangster, will be transformed into an oasis of awesome kills and sweet jumps.

I have a dream that I will one day get online and find a gamerdom where players will not be judged by sexuality or gender, but by the content of their kill/death ratio.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Gridlock, with its vicious smack-talkers, with its developers releasing it half-baked; one day right there in Gridlock, little boy gamers will be able to join hands with little girl gamers as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every kill will be exalted, every slur and insult shall be made low, the rough edges of our collective personality made smooth, and the crooked mindsets will be made straight, and the glory of Master Chief/Gordon Freeman/Mario shall be revealed, and all gamers will see it together.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

I’m taking a break from my Mass Effect blogathon (that’s a blog and a marathon in one… Get it?) to write you, my esteemed compadres, with regard to a disturbing development within my psyche. I seem to be finding that… Well… I’m losing interest in online multiplayer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the concept is still awesome, but poor execution and abusive players seem to be ruining it for me.

I’m willing to admit that it may be my recent and heavy foray into Halo 3 multiplayer, but I can’t help but notice it elsewhere and especially in the collective gamer consciousness (if such a thing exists). Frustration and dissatisfaction with multiplayer games is mounting; from cheaters and erratic server-side lag to abusive players and indifferent companies that seem to censor only the unnecessary, I can’t be the only one who hears the cry for a reasonable online experience, both in customer satisfaction and the treatment of others. Call me a hippy, but I sure would like to get online one day and trade jokes with some other gamers without having to listen to someone on the opposite team ranting and raving about all of the deplorable things he’s done to my mother simply because the game didn’t put me on his side. Call me crazy, but I sure would like for a game to be released in its most finished state, without the need to patch it for six months post-release to make it playable (Gears of War 2 comes to mind…).

Despite those undoubtedly utopian ideas of mine (god knows I could never ask someone with the opportunity to be racist and insulting guilt-free to at least pretend to be educated), I know this will never happen. I know the hordes of online fanboys, trolls, bashers and sore losers can never be overcome. I know the sleazy developers riding on brand popularity out there won’t jump back on the good game bandwagon just because I bitch about it. So what am I to do? Retreat to my Mass Effects, my Bioshocks, my Lost Odysseys? Play Street Fighter IV strictly with my friends on a couch? I have a dream, friends.

I have a dream that one day online gamerdom will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “let’s get to it and slaughter each other like gentlemen.”

I have a dream that one day on the sandy hills of Sand Trap former fanboys and former sore losers will be able to frag each other with a sense of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the streets of Liberty City, a virtual metropolis crawling with the pseudo gangster, will be transformed into an oasis of awesome kills and sweet jumps.

I have a dream that I will one day get online and find a gamerdom where players will not be judged by sexuality or gender, but by the content of their kill/death ratio.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Gridlock, with its vicious smack-talkers, with its developers releasing it half-baked; one day right there in Gridlock, little boy gamers will be able to join hands with little girl gamers as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every kill will be exalted, every slur and insult shall be made low, the rough edges of our collective personality made smooth, and the crooked mindsets will be made straight, and the glory of Master Chief/Gordon Freeman/Mario shall be revealed, and all gamers will see it together.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tekmojo

Oh please.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I read Blogathon, and I immediately stopped reading. Thank you for lowering my hopes of being a cool person.

BatgirlBabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BatgirlBabs
tekmojo said:
"Oh please."
way to be supportive!
Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Metasin

The secret is finding a good community of people to play with. I play almost exclusively with people on my friends list, or at least with enough of us to fill a team. It makes all the difference in the world.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By End_Boss
BestUsernameEver said:
"I read Blogathon, and I immediately stopped reading."
That's unfortunate.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tekmojo
BatgirlBabs said:
"tekmojo said:
"Oh please."
way to be supportive!"
What did you want me to say.

Oh yes End_Boss, I agree exactly with what you are envisioning! I wish every gamer was just like you. You have such original utopian ideas that every gamer should adhere to. One day people like you and me will spread the word of the chosen one End_Boss because he knows how pure gaming should be. Gaming should be saved soon from the fat cat developers or else we are all doomed!

Sorry, I don't like choking on my vomit.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's a shame that this will never happen but that's people for you. There's no good in them.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By End_Boss
tekmojo said:
"BatgirlBabs said:
"tekmojo said:
"Oh please."
way to be supportive!"
What did you want me to say.

Oh yes End_Boss, I agree exactly with what you are envisioning! I wish every gamer was just like you. You have such original utopian ideas that every gamer should adhere to. One day people like you and me will spread the word of the chosen one End_Boss because he knows how pure gaming should be. Gaming should be saved soon from the fat cat developers or else we are all doomed!

Sorry, I don't like choking on my vomit.
"
Did you not recognize that it was a sardonic take on Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech? I mean, I didn't want to say anything the first time because I figured you were just being a dick. But dude... Call it a bad joke if you want, but at least understand it first.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tekmojo
End_Boss said:
Did you not recognize that it was a sardonic take on Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech? I mean, I didn't want to say anything the first time because I figured you were just being a dick. But dude... Call it a bad joke if you want, but at least understand it first."
It wasn't a bad joke. It was a bad attempt at creating a joke.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss
tekmojo said:
"End_Boss said:
Did you not recognize that it was a sardonic take on Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech? I mean, I didn't want to say anything the first time because I figured you were just being a dick. But dude... Call it a bad joke if you want, but at least understand it first."
"

No Caption Provided

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tekmojo
End_Boss said:
"tekmojo said:
"End_Boss said:
"

No Caption Provided
"
Now you are getting the hang of it.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Absurd

Your dream is bad! Talking shit over the internet is so fun to do.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By bwooduhs

ha. I see waha you did with the title there.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By lamegame621
tekmojo said:
"End_Boss said:
"
Hmm...well you do always have the option of just shutting the fuck up in the first place.

Really, though. Racism has gotten so bad on Live that I play PC games almost exclusively now. On PC those people can be kicked and banned much more easily.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
lamegame621 said:
"tekmojo said:
"End_Boss said:
"
Hmm...well you do always have the option of just shutting the fuck up in the first place.Really, though. Racism has gotten so bad on Live that I play PC games almost exclusively now. On PC those people can be kicked and banned much more easily."
Christ, I pretty much stay away from Live altogether now. Strictly PSN or people I know. It's sickening to know that my own younger brother is part of the legion of 12 year old losers on Live. You all know the 12 year olds I'm talking about. 
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

over the past few months i have shifted to playing with random dudes on the internet to playing with members of giantbomb. Its a lot more consistent and its easier to predict how things are going to turn out - for example I know if I play gears 2 with Discorsi he is going to cry when he loses and blame it on lag. Also it means you can just party chat and not worry about the randoms and their weird obsession with sexual assualt on members of your family.

Go hang out in the IRC for a bit, thats also a great way to form groups. You just need to shout "Anyone want to play street fighter 4?" and people will mob you with invites. MOB YOU!!

Another issue is - the sort of gamer that halo 3 attracts is unlikely to be the sort of mature forward-thinking person you are hoping to find. Just a thought...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_

I haven't really found an online game to captivate me in a long time. I play random spurts of different games that I've accumulated, but I still have yet to find a multiplayer experience that can reach the level that ut2k4 and BF2 did for me. That said, I enjoy shit talking to extremes. Outside of the internet, I tend to generally be the most composed person in any given group, so sitting there screaming "FUCK" 15 times in a row when I get annoyed at a game is actually relaxing for me.

Sweep is right. You should come hang out in the IRC. Then you can hate me in real time. (In all seriousness though, the bros in the IRC organize impromptu game sessions all the goddamn time. It's crazy.)

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I have a dream you'd stop talking

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't really play online games that much period. With the exception of the Valve games of course. For some reason, I can only sit down and play a lot of Left 4 Dead, TF2 or Day of Defeat instead of Call of Duty 4. I do like your "dream" though. I liked how you actually took parts of the speech and made them your own. For example, Gridlock = Alabama. Nice.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK

i honestly find much of that stuff you listed extremely entertaining. Nothing beats pissing off an MLG wannabee pro, 1 vs 1-ing him then messaging a screenshot of you teabagging him underneath the scoreboard :D.

In fact it's kinda like an interactive mini game within halo 3

But then that's me, everyone else here prefers to complain rather than enjoy :P

Related thread

:P

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Captain_Fookup

One word.......

Thunderdome.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By dsplayer1010

It depends on what game you are playing. If it's something mainstream like Gears, or Halo, or CoD, than yea, it is filled with childish idiots to ruin the game. But if you play lesser played games, you usually find players who are there simply for the sake of having fun. But sometimes those aren't the games you want to play and you just need to deal with them. That's what the mute button is for I guess.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Xandurson

This is exactly why I don't wear my headset in COD4 anymore. Because of a couple jerks that are in every game.

Marioarm2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Marioarm2

I can't remember the last time I've played online with a bunch of random people. I'd much rather just have a single-player campaign and party chat with a friend or two. Maybe I'm overreacting but online gaming (voice chatting) can be tough to deal with. It probably doesn't help that whenever I talk people are like "ARE YOU A GIRL? OR DID YOUR BALLS NOT DROP YET?" Sigh.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lamegame621
Marioarm2 said:
"I can't remember the last time I've played online with a bunch of random people. I'd much rather just have a single-player campaign and party chat with a friend or two. Maybe I'm overreacting but online gaming (voice chatting) can be tough to deal with. It probably doesn't help that whenever I talk people are like "ARE YOU A GIRL? OR DID YOUR BALLS NOT DROP YET?" Sigh."
Yeah, people are dumb.
Joshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joshua

I will talk a whole lot of mess when I'm with my friends- but never random people.  I think there's a difference between being a jerk and having fun with buddies, so I rarely play with strangers.  I feel like I wouldn't say anything on Live that I wouldn't say to someones face, and I don't like those "online badass persona" business, it just seems really immature and silly.

I also think its funny that a lot of the people don't realize nothing screams "I'm a pussy in real life"  more than threatoning to kill me, calling me gay, insulting my mom, or the myriad of other common XBL insults.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By AgentJ

I really like your speech transcript, and would love to hear Obama read this. I'd also like to add an ammendment. I have a dream that one day Nintendo will do online gaming right and that Friend Codes will die a horrible death.