Fighting game controls: is it just me?

kronixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kronixi

I'm new to the classic one on one 2d fighting game genre and I've always loved watching but never playing as my competitiveness gets the best of me and I burn out. But this recent couple of years ive calmed down and can enjoy competitive games without having a panic attack and practice.

I've run into a stumbling block, I picked up Dragonball fighterz and played some street fighter and when i'm starting on the left side of the screen i find it alot easier to move my fight stick left (going back) than going right (towards my opponent) is this just something I need to practice or will it always be a weakness? I'm just wondering if its just me who has this issue with fighting games. I wish i could be more specific but i just mean air dashing right but air dashing left is a lot easier.

I think I have a hypothesis; im right handed and right footed therefore i'm left brain dominant and its just one of those things you have to practice to alleviate it. But i'm not sure

maestro17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I find controls while facing right feel much more natural. With an open hand, pushing right feels better than pulling, or tapping left.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing fighting games since the original Street Fighter II. I'm also right handed and can sympathize. As an example, to this day it's still easier for me to do a double-fireball motion (quarter-circle forward x 2), when my opponent is on the left-side of the screen. Continued play should alleviate issue (significantly so, if you keep at it), but completely conquering that unnatural feeling probably requires something akin to pro-level dedication.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I learned Street Fighter 2 on SNES. It was my friend’s SNES, so I was always player 2. My facing left game is strong.

bakoomerang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never been anything more than a casual at fighting games, but for some reason I have always found it much easier to pull off a quarter circle motion towards the left than the right (I'm right handed). Funnily enough, having only used controllers until now, I recently picked up a fight stick for cheap just to try it out, and I found that the same thing seems to be true when I use a stick as well (although tbh I'm having a hard time consistently getting the motion out either way right now. Need practice!).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ivdamke

All just practice Tekken players aren't masters of the P1 EWGF and wavedash from minute go. They do it thousands and thousands of times.

Always start slow and ramp up.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crysack

This is common among stick players especially. Most people will have problems instant air dashing on 1P side due to the fact that it is far more awkward to accurately input diagonal then a forward when pushing with the palm of your hand/fingertips.

Tekken tends to be the biggest offender of side bias. The vast majority of people have significantly worse movement on the 2P side because Korean backdashing on 2P side requires you to utilise your entire wrist as opposed to your thumb and fingertips on 1P side. By contrast, since Mishima wavedashing/EWGF requires a similar movement in the opposite direction, most Mishimas actually prefer 2P side. Any players who use instant-while-running moves frequently will also tend to favour 1P side because it is much easier to rapidly input dashes with your palm as opposed to trying to 'pull' the stick using your thumb and fingertips on the 2P side.

Some of it also comes down to stick technique. Speaking personally, although I don't have enormous problems on either side in Street Fighter, my shoryuken and double qcf motions are marginally faster when I play on 2P side because it enables me to flick the stick to forward with my thumb and then use my fingertips to rapidly drag it to down/down-forward. On 1P side, I use my entire hand to input the motions.