Fine, I'm Playing Borderlands On A PC

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Let's face it, this is going to be way easier with a mouse.
As discussed on this week's Bombcast, I think I'm going to have to play Borderlands on the PC. In the distant past, controls used to be the single determining factor in my decision to play a first-person shooter on the PC or a console. But over time, as my familiarity with dual joysticks has grown and my attachment to the mouse and keyboard has waned, I've noticed myself worrying more about whether or not I'd get achievements from a game than how precise my aiming was going to be.

Well, Borderlands won't have achievements on the PC; it's not a Games For Windows Live-enabled game. Should make it an easy decision to get the console game, no? No. Gearbox's first-person, four-player loot-quest is certainly functional and fun on the Xbox 360 (though I haven't seen the PS3 version in person yet), but there's a whole bunch of reasons the PC version seems significantly better, based on a few minutes spent with both.

The PC version I played ran at a solid 60 frames per second on what Gearbox described as fairly modest hardware, compared to a less impressive 30 or so on the Xbox, and the lighting, textures, and color saturation looked dramatically better than the Xbox game sitting right next to it. Seriously, I'm not just saying that; the difference in visual fidelity was profound to me. Then there's that whole aiming-with-a-mouse thing, of course, which will certainly help in the tougher encounters with some of the game's named boss enemies. And Gearbox will also let you control the game's fairly complex menu screens--where you manage all your loot, talents, and more--with a mouse as well; on the console, you'll be stuck navigating with the controller, of course.

Borderlands really looks noticeably better on a PC, too. 
That's a strong list of reasons the game will likely be more playable on the PC, and for me, it makes a particularly convincing argument against sacrificing a better game experience just to increment my stupid gamerscore.

Another topic that came up on the podcast this week was Borderlands' trade interface, or more specifically, its lack of one. To swap items with another player, you have to communicate your intentions to one another, then manually drop your item on the ground and hope the other guy drops his, so you can both pick up your new gear. You don't need to be an especially nefarious individual to imagine the potential for abuse or griefing inherent in this rudimentary system.

On the podcast I promised I'd find out if the game would ship with a more secure trade interface than what I saw in my demo, and the official Gearbox answer is: It won't. So you'll do well to only traffic with trusted players in the early days of Borderlands' release, lest your precious loot walk right away from you. However, that may change after the game's release, since Gearbox says its plan for Borderlands DLC is to deliver features and content as requested by the community. A company rep says the trade thing in particular is something the company will possibly look at "if it becomes an issue where people care a lot." 

Borderlands is out this October. If you wanna know more, why not read Jeff's last hands-on report?
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

As discussed on this week's Bombcast, I think I'm going to have to play Borderlands on the PC. In the distant past, controls used to be the single determining factor in my decision to play a first-person shooter on the PC or a console. But over time, as my familiarity with dual joysticks has grown and my attachment to the mouse and keyboard has waned, I've noticed myself worrying more about whether or not I'd get achievements from a game than how precise my aiming was going to be.

Well, Borderlands won't have achievements on the PC; it's not a Games For Windows Live-enabled game. Should make it an easy decision to get the console game, no? No. Gearbox's first-person, four-player loot-quest is certainly functional and fun on the Xbox 360 (though I haven't seen the PS3 version in person yet), but there's a whole bunch of reasons the PC version seems significantly better, based on a few minutes spent with both.

The PC version I played ran at a solid 60 frames per second on what Gearbox described as fairly modest hardware, compared to a less impressive 30 or so on the Xbox, and the lighting, textures, and color saturation looked dramatically better than the Xbox game sitting right next to it. Seriously, I'm not just saying that; the difference in visual fidelity was profound to me. Then there's that whole aiming-with-a-mouse thing, of course, which will certainly help in the tougher encounters with some of the game's named boss enemies. And Gearbox will also let you control the game's fairly complex menu screens--where you manage all your loot, talents, and more--with a mouse as well; on the console, you'll be stuck navigating with the controller, of course.

That's a strong list of reasons the game will likely be more playable on the PC, and for me, it makes a particularly convincing argument against sacrificing a better game experience just to increment my stupid gamerscore.

Another topic that came up on the podcast this week was Borderlands' trade interface, or more specifically, its lack of one. To swap items with another player, you have to communicate your intentions to one another, then manually drop your item on the ground and hope the other guy drops his, so you can both pick up your new gear. You don't need to be an especially nefarious individual to imagine the potential for abuse or griefing inherent in this rudimentary system.

On the podcast I promised I'd find out if the game would ship with a more secure trade interface than what I saw in my demo, and the official Gearbox answer is: It won't. So you'll do well to only traffic with trusted players in the early days of Borderlands' release, lest your precious loot walk right away from you. However, that may change after the game's release, since Gearbox says its plan for Borderlands DLC is to deliver features and content as requested by the community. A company rep says the trade thing in particular is something the company will possibly look at "if it becomes an issue where people care a lot." 

Borderlands is out this October. If you wanna know more, why not read Jeff's last hands-on report?
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

I wanna play!

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm interesting about the whole trading system, but that dosen't mean it will stop me from getting the game.  I mean something has to get cut for time's sake, and I plan on playing with friends, as I am sure others do, rather than random strangers.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

I really hope that it doesn't look that much nicer on a PC, some of us (me) just cannot afford a new or updated PC right now.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

All FPSs play better with a mouse and keyboard, Brad.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TimeWaffle

still getting it on 360 cause i just have a laptop right now

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By animateria

Welp, I rarely play shooters with a controller anyways.

I'm going PC as well.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

Seems like a game to add to my list then. Recently there hasn't been a lot of love for PC versions of multiplat games on most sites, this is heart warming. You have warmed my heart Brad.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By artofwar420

Hellz yes.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By warxsnake

and if you really want a tv experience just hook your pc up to your hdtv with dvi-hdmi cable or hdmi-hdmi if your card does hdmi

Dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dane

well i'll be playing on the xbox, so... see you guys there, i hope

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Three0neFive
@UnlivedPhalanx said:
" I really hope that it doesn't look that much nicer on a PC, some of us (me) just cannot afford a new or updated PC right now. "
Not to be an asshole or anything, but that first part sounds pretty damned fanboyish. Perhaps you should've said "I really hope that it doesn't look that much worse on a console".

But really, it should be pretty obvious that an FPS on PC will be infinitely superior to the same thing on a console. For example, I played Bioshock on PC when it came out, and it looked fantastic. Then I played the PS3 version at a friend's place, and god damn was it ever ugly. Looked like it was running in 1024x768 on medium at 30 FPS, compared to my 1920x1080 on High settings at 60 FPS. :/
DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DerekDanahy

I would play on my PC but I really want to do some split-screen co-op action.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ubiquitous

PC version FTW. 

I'm sure that they will include a better system of trading in a patch. Hopefully...
gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

i would totally prefer to get it on PC but none of my friends have a decent one. they are getting it for xbox. i dont know what to do :(
Whiskeyjack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Whiskeyjack86

Yes, anonymous company rep, it will become something people care about, so I suggest you start working on that right away. Seriously this game is looking so good, yet they can't think of a reason to put even a simple trading system in the game? This game will only be playable with friends until they patch in the trading system. It'd better be a free update...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

While I agree with everything you say about the differences, I'll probably be playing it on BOTH PC and 360.  I have too many friends on both to just pick one.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18  Edited By SunKing

Hmm, now you've gone and put me in a tizzy. Unless a demo comes out or my machine at least matches the recommended specs, I'll be buying on the 360. I've also got a feeling that there will be more of a community on the 360, but I may be completely off with that. It all depends if Borderlands feels like a cheap 360-to-PC port.

Also, I can only reiterate Jeff's comments in regards to the trade system – or lack of one. What the hell are they thinking?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By KamasamaK

Good choice

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE

The PC version is better than the console version. This is news? :D
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, looks like it's a PC purchase for me too.

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SunKing
@Three0neFive: Nah, I can understand what he's saying. It always feels a bit of a downer when you've only got access to the – let's face it – inferior version of a game. It sucks to be in that position.

Edit: Also, the DLC may well be free on PC but it definately won't be on consoles. One more reason to buy the PC version, if you can put away your gamerscore for a moment.
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By coolarman

Well looks like i am getting the 360 version simply because my pc sucks and i really don't care if the graphics are better i just want a fun game

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

Gameflying 360 version buying on PC already, but good to hear.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By Hamst3r
@gimmysumcowbel said:
" i would totally prefer to get it on PC but none of my friends have a decent one. they are getting it for xbox. i dont know what to do :( "

Buy both versions, then have your friends come over and try the PC version. Then show them how inexpensive it is to get a nice gaming PC. You'll have them converted in no time! :)
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JJOR64

This game is going to be super sexy.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hosstile17

@ Three0neFive

Easy dude. It was just a difference between the passive and active voice. Not a flame war. I am sure that he was not trying to offend anyone. I, like him, just want a quality port of the game for everyone.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch3burashka

So, they'll address critical problems only when people bitch about it enough, instead of for the sake of the game? Seems uncaring.

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gimmysumcowbel
@Hamst3r: i wish i could buy both but i dont exactly have the money.  plus this is gonna be my junior year so its really important for college so ima try and keep the video games to a minimum
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By felixlighter

My PC should have no problem handling this game well.  The issue for me is, I have no friends with PCs that are capable of gaming and I have no interest in playing a coop game with strangers.  I don't know what I'm going to end up doing with this game.  Life would be so much easier if you could play these games, cross-platform.   Ugh.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By MAST

I dunno, i like trophies/achievements too much. When i play a game on the PC, i feel like i have no goal other then to just beat the game, and get it out of the way. Even if i wanted to play it on the PC, i doubt mine could run Borderlands. My computer is several years old. I haven't bothered upgrading it since i started playing games solely on my console, and no longer need a gaming computer.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kohe321

Awesome!

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkgoth678

Great choice brad,  

you wont regret choosing the mouse and keyboard over the gamepad

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pinkshley1

Everyone seems to play fps better with a mouse and keyboard. I hate mouse and keyboard, I'm very accurate with controllers.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'm undecided, really. 

A) PC version 
B) PS3 version 
C) Don't buy it all

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hatking

Well I'm not a clingy PC elitist so I don't really give a shit about "precise aiming" with a mouse and keyboard, I've never been at a point in a game and thought, "damn if I had this on mouse and keyboard I'd be able to beat it", and until that time I'll be fine with the controller.  On top of that, had Brad never posted this article nobody would have ever noticed how much better it looks on PC, granted most reasonable people are willing to throw down a couple hundred dollars every year on upgrades so most of us wouldn't get much of a difference anyway.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By demonbear

No trade? Ok now thats a bit major. I'll have to rethink this....

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By Crono

Mouse + Keyboard is always the way to go with FPS.

bucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bucky

I thought you were a mac guy, Brad?

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SunKing
@HatKing: The thing is with graphics, you can't miss what you can't see. Sure, if textures are ugly and pop-up is all over the place then you're going to notice. Other things, though, like shadows or certain particle effects you just won't notice unless in comparison. Either way, graphical splendour almost seem to fade into the recesses of the mind over a long duration. It's still nice to have max graphics, though. ;)

And controllers are fine for FPSs as long as the game in question is designed for that control scheme.
ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By ht101

I have never been a PC gamer except for some RTS action so I'll be getting this on 360.

Shwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shwan

i think you have ti all wrong Brad! the reason to play something on the xbox isn't ONLY achievements its were your friends are. I think the deciding factor to wich system i will purchase Borderlands on is what are my friends buying it on if the majority of them are going PC then so am I.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ch13696

No secure trade interface? That's good. It brings out more of the bandit like stuff in the game. Basically everyone for themselves.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ch13696
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" I'm undecided, really.  A) PC version B) PS3 version C) Don't buy it all "
Ive been the same way. So I twittered one of the developers (Mikey Face). He says to get both. So thats what I'll do.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont care for the graphics since the game already looks good, and even though the mouse is more accurate i would much rather play with a control, because its just more comfortable.
console version is my only choice :P

quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By quirkwood

Hmmm, I just upgraded my gaming rig with 8GB of ram and a GeForce GTX295  so I probably should be investing in PC games but with the trading system the way it is it the 360 does have a slight advantage over the PC. You can see how other people have been rated as players as part of Xbox Live, somone who is constantly a jerk in Borderlands is going to get a bad rating from other players. This is going to allow you to filter out some of the jerks from the people who actually want to play the game nicely. The PC version won't have this feature meaning you're going to get more tossbags coming at you in the PC version than in the 360. 

Korax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Korax

Sounds like I might just have to get both versions. I did just order a bunch of parts to build a new PC, but the call of achievements is too strong.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HydraHam

none of these are problems for me because

1.graphics don't mean anything to me
2.graphics don't mean anything to me
3.i never planned on trading with random people because i will only be playing it with friends

and did i mention graphics don't mean anything?

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Crixaliz

=/

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ahriman22

I don't care about the graphics, so chances are I'll be getting it on the 360.