striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By striderno9

Hey guys,

Recently Vinny and Dan did a First Moments of God of War feature that was really good. Any idea if this is a new feature or if there are more of these types of videos?

Being able to experience the game for the first time with them was entertaining as hell and not having to worry about spoilers was a big plus and one of the reasons why I finished the whole video.

Most QLs are done in the middle of the game which totally makes sense but I wonder if there is room for this type of feature?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys,

Recently Vinny and Dan did a First Moments of God of War feature that was really good. Any idea if this is a new feature or if there are more of these types of videos?

Being able to experience the game for the first time with them was entertaining as hell and not having to worry about spoilers was a big plus and one of the reasons why I finished the whole video.

Most QLs are done in the middle of the game which totally makes sense but I wonder if there is room for this type of feature?

I like it too. They could even expand the feature to have several "check-in" moments during the review process. You usually only to get see the review as a final product, but I think it would be kind of fascinating to see how the crew goes about forming their opinion on a game as they are playing it. For example, even though Dan really loved GoW, if he had instead started to sour on it half way through, it would have been kind of neat to see that happening and what caused the change in opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I also really enjoyed it, would love to see more of that type of stuff in the future.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Yep, thought it was a stellar idea. I'm sure they've often shied away from this sort of content in the past because it could imply an...Endurance Run...but I think there is plenty of room on this site for experiencing the staff's immediate response to a game firsthand. Likewise, the audience has long been interested in a sort of check-in feature with games, and while there's definitely an argument to be made that the podcast serves that purpose in most ways, I do think there are some games that would really benefit from additional video coverage.

There are minor things, like if you're not sold on God of War yet and really don't care about spoilers, maybe you want to see what the game looks like once you've earned most of the upgrades and have some of the more powerful runes equipped. But there are also major things, like getting to see what that Destiny 2 raid was like, or how is Monster Hunter holding up for someone who loves that series like Jason? I don't even watch the latter series, but it's neat that people who are interested get to keep checking in with him and his thoughts on that game every once in a while. Sometimes it's not entirely practical, like for example when Dan leads a Mario or Zelda Quick Look and has clearly already beaten the game. But for games where the Quick Look is pretty close to a first impression, or games where the story or gameplay unfolds slowly over time, I'd love a sort of Second Look feature where staff reconvenes - either the same or a different pair - on a game to play it and discuss how it evolved for them, or even how they felt similar/different to the other staff members assigned to the game.

To be honest, I don't play that many video games, so part of me has always wished Giant Bomb would focus in on certain games a little more and get a little further away from the "might as well try everything so we can tell people about it" ethos of the Gamespot days, at least when it comes to their media output. But I get they won't do that.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel like it's only worth doing for big major games that the person playing is excited about. Which I don't really see happening that often