For those with both console(s) and a gaming-capable PC...

• 80 results
louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By louis0nfire

Which do you normally buy your games on? I've been much more of a PC gamer lately, but I don't really know exactly why. With the releases of Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2, I've been dead set on getting them for my PC, but have recently started wondering why I'm not into console gaming as much as I used to be. So what about you guys? Do you tend to buy PC versions of games over console versions, or does it vary based on the title?

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano

I'm more of a console gamer just because I like the idea of there being a standard. I don't want to compete against someone online that's getting more frames per second than I am. Also, I've just had consoles longer than I've had a PC that can play up to date games. That being said, there are certain games I would always get on PC over their console counterparts, like anything made by Valve.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Mostly on PC for the sake of Steam sales. And unless the port is bad, I'll mostly buy the PC version of multiplatform games and use a controller (ON MY COMFY COUCH IN FRONT OF THE TV -- stop acting like that's an exclusive feature of consoles)

I buy maybe three full disc based console games a year between my 360 and PS3 due to the cost. And probably fewer this year since I think I'm getting a 3DS. The only one I can think of right now is LA Noire.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

If by both consoles you mean PS2 and PS3, I have them plus a low/mid range gaming PC, and I'd say I generally buy games for the PC unless they seem to be bad ports better played on a console, or have stupid DRM (Ubisoft games), forcing me to go with the console option since my ISP is way too unstable to rely on during a Assassin's Creed session or something like that.
I mainly got the PS3 for the exclusives, which while numerous, are nowhere near as many as the amount of PC games I need to have.

Bethesda/Obsidian/Bioware games I would never buy for anything but PC, since they often require modding to work properly. The same would be true for Rockstar games if it wasn't for the fact that their PC ports are always so horrible that not even mods can save them, so for those I go for the console versions.

And I'll be buying the PS3 version of Diablo 3, since I never liked the click-where-to-go control system in the Diablo games, but love the genre on consoles (Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath etc.).

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Junkerman

It depends largely on the games and how much money I'm willing to invest in them.  I much prefer PC games due to their more precise controls and the ability to tweak and mod them to get the best preformance.  However renting console games for 5-7 dollars is a pretty big bonus.  Most games these days tend to only be around 8-12 hours in length I find, so it seems like a waste of money spending 40-50 bucks on something when I can just spend 5 and beat it over the course of a weekend.

The exception to this is of course STEAM and Good old Games, both of which have incredible sales that puts even renting a console game to shame.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I kinda like to switch back and forth. For a while now I've been playing a shit load of pc game, but now that I just picked up MvC3 it's time for my 360 to get some loving.

Basically if it's a console only deal then I'm covered, otherwise if there is an properly optimized version (and PC exclusives of course) then the PC will always come out ahead for me. Still though, it's nice to be able to play just about everything, save for the PS3 exclusives, but that's on my list of things to buy.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

I switch depending on what I'm more obsessed on at the time.  I just got PS Plus, so I'm playing more PS3 games.  When I built my new PC, I was buying my games off of Steam.  I'll probably start getting my games on 360 again when my friends all start playing Gears 3 together.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

I couldn't give two shits about graphical differences,mouse controls and the sort of things that people like to argue for in favor of the PC. Generally If I buy a game on the PC its because it was on Steam for cheap. I like my PC but I prefer my comfy sofa and large TV.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jack268

PC for mods, graphics and I prefer the controls. Unless it is a terrible port job I don't see why not. My 360 and PS3 are kind of dusted over at this point, and let's not even talk about the Wii.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yoshimitz707

Consoles because I like my couch.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always try to get them on my PC, if that's not an option or if the PC version is horribly broken I'll get 'em on my 360. PS3 is for exclusives only.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Gargantuan

RPG and RTS games on my PC.
Shooters, action and exclusive games on my 360 and PS3.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ColMirage

PC Mostly. My 360 is for singleplayer and exclusives, PS3 is for multi-platform, multiplayer and exclusives that I don't feel like getting on PC for whatever reason.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By villainy

I do most of my gaming single player so that puts a considerable skew on my opinion. 

For full multiplatform games I go PC every time because I know it will look and run better on my PC. I also have a gamepad hooked up to handle any games that don't fit the mouse/keyboard. When it comes to console limited releases I have a Wii and a PS3. Sure I miss out on the 360 exclusives (I'd love to play Shadow Complex), but my current setup allows me to play the vast majority of games the way "I" want to play them.

If you prefer multiplayer games with both gamepad and voice chat support, then it seems to me that a 360 with a headset and Xbox Live Gold membership is probably the way to go. If you're looking for games with greater depth, a longer tail, and the ability to pick it up a decade later for pennies on the dollar then the PC is where it's at.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

I like to keep my PC open for doing other things while I play games on my consoles, but if a game is PC-exclusive or if I can get it for real cheap (like via Steam) I'll get it there.  I prefer long, in-depth games and competitive multiplayer games on consoles, but I'll gladly play more casual games or co-op games on PC.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Jrad

I only own consoles for the exclusives and wind up playing most multiplatforms on my PC. Connected to my TV, of course, and outputting at 1080p. It's an excellent setup and not exactly difficult what with how cheap HDMI cables are online.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By crusader8463

Always PC if it's available. If it's console only I will wait until I can find it in the bargain bin. I just hate playing games with a controller, so I refuse to pay full price for them.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By beforet

PC, mostly because of Steam sales making it wiser economically.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pinworm45

PC. 

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Born with a PC,gonna die with a PC.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By FireBurger

Usually buy for consoles, unless there is a significant  advantage to the PC version. Actually buying a new computer for TES:V and BF3. 

I usually buy the console versions because they are more portable and because none of my friends have gaming PCs.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By Atlas

I converted to being mostly a PC gamer late last year. Some games I will prefer to play on a console, such as Fallout: New Vegas, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and most recently Dead Space 2, but almost all of my recent gaming time has gone into the likes of Mount & Blade: Warband, Civ 5 and TF2, and I've preordered Dragon Age II on Steam despite having played Origins on a console.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cornman89

Depends on the game. I'm used to playing games with a controller, so I buy most on consoles. But a game like DA2, which is easier for me to control with a mouse and keyboard, I'll buy on PC.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By mike

I tend to split my time evenly between my Xbox 360, PC, and my Mac. I rarely use my PS3 for anything except watching BRD's. 

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hosstile17

I buy the best version. If the PC version is better, I buy that. If the PS3 or 360 version is better, I buy it there.  

If it is a game I plan to play online, I do tend to buy it on the Xbox, if most of the rest of the game is at least comparable. Most people I know have 360s.

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By ribeye

PC first if it's an option then PS3 gets first dibs if it's console only and 360/Wii for exclusives.  I do have a wired 360 controller that I've been using on certain PC games tho, Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Super Meat Boy and right now Bulletstorm which is weird, first PC FPS ever that's actually better with a controller imo

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

If there's pc version i usually take that first. Console exclusive games for ps3.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Geno

I only use my PS3 for exclusives and Bluray. The best versions of all multiplatform games are on PC. 

StickyMicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StickyMicky

Used to be a heavy 360 player (i have 2 360 consoles), but after getting into a few steam sales a couple of years back i started to convert to the PC, eventually settling on a quadcore @ 3.5ghz and a gtx275 (which is going to be replaced for a gtx580 for Battlefield 3 :-) ) 

What i usually do is buy the good big multiplatform  releases on the 360, play with all my mates/family on XBL and then trade the game in, preferring to pick up a cheaper steam deal in the future as the game to keep.

I think the 360 is really starting to show its legs now, i picked up BulletStorm last week, and while the game is great and plays really well, the textures IMHO look pretty terrible on the 360, only one person on my friends list is playing it, so i will no doubt trade it in after a few weeks and pick it up on steam in a sale further down the line to replay it.

I wish more of my friends/family played on the PC, but i think the PC scene is still too technical for the majority of gamers, programs like steam help a lot, but its when you fire up your new game and it does not work that brings out the "PC`s are crap" talk.

I have over 100 games on steam now, every single one i picked up in some kind of sale! but Battlefield 3 will be the first game i ever preorder from steam and pay full price.

I do have a fair few retail PC games, for example i picked up Dead Space 2, i originally ordered the X360 version for £36.99, my local games shop had sold out :( so i used an online retailer, it never arrived :( by the time i was allowed to claim for a lost parcel (15 working days) it was already on sale from the said retailer so i asked for a full refund.

Two days later when i checked the online prices for Dead Space 2, i saw one retailer offering the PC version for £14.85 delivered, under half the price of the 360 version i had attempted to buy 17 days previous.

No brainer.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoeyRavn

My main problem with the 360 is that I just can't get used to playing FPS and TPS with a gamepad. I've been slowly adapting to the feel of it, though, with games like RDR or Dead Space (which I played on PC with a 360 gamepad). Besides that, I mostly get exclusives and games with Achievements for 360. I tend to buy the rest of my games off Steam or G2Play, especially if they have Live or Steam Achievements. Yes, Achievements are quite important for me, more for the added value to the game than for the pure numerical value they have. 

So, yeah. Mostly PC, but I also like playing on my 360.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasta

If there is a PC version of a game and my PC can handle I'll buy that version.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Time_Lord

PC all the way its just far easier

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IBurningStar

It really depends on the game. If it is a game with multiplayer I know I will want to play with friends then I get it on 360, because almost everyone I know has one. For single player action games I tend to go with PS3. If the game is a Dragon Age type RPG I might go with PC, but most of my PC gaming consists of MMOs and the occasional RTS. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow

PC from the comfort of my Green Velvet Chesterfield (that's a couch for the philistines amongst us).  My consoles languish.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tourgen

I was a purely 360 gamer for about 3-4 years but then I had a string of hardware failures - DVD drive, red rings, power supply, it just kept going.  I went thru 5 360 returns in about 2.5 years.  Some where under warranty and some weren't.  I ended up buying two 360s and spending 100 on a repair return to Microsoft.  The USB ports on the back of my current system stopped working about 2 months ago.  This is my last 360.  I'm done. 

I've drifted back to PC games.  It's working out for me.  I'm looking forward to the Steam bigscreen display mode.  I play on my HDTV from the couch with a 360 controller, bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth headset, and a Logitech wireless mouse.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

About equal amounts of all. When it comes down to it, I really like achievements, so if a PC game has GFWL I get it for PC.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed

I buy most games for my consoles. The PC games i buy are not available on console. But lately i have been thinking of switching my orders to PC.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Console, but some games are just better playable on a pc.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Every multi platform game I will buy for my PC because I like having proper options and better graphics is always nice. I only buy multi-platform games for consoles if controllers make more sense than keyboard+mouse (e.g. Assassin's Creed series).

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gike987

I play most of my PC Games on a big screen with a 360 controller, so it pretty much works as console with better graphics and mod support. The only thing I use my consoles for are console exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I play my 360 for exclusives, and games my friends who don't have PC's are getting. My PC has been frazzled for a few months so I've been playing the 360 only. The longer it goes on the more I want a new PC, the games aren't significantly worse, but the lower resolution textures and things like autoaim are really noticeable.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The games are generally 2/3 the price,and often look better, so if it isn't a shoddy port, I'll always go with PC. 

Case in point: Most definitely buying Deus Ex: Human Revolution on PC.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By Marz

I have all 3 current systems(360,ps3,wii) and a PC,  i usually buy most multiplatform games on PC when it's available.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#45  Edited By donutfever

Telltale Games, Valve Games, Indie Games = PC 
Everything Else = Console (Unless it's PC Exclusive)

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zapbrader

I have no preferences, I play on whichever platform is best. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WinterSnowblind

PC, simply because games are usually cheaper. 
I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that PC's are always superior.

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ubik

I was just having this exact dilemma this week when I was trying to decide what platform to buy Dragon Age II on.  I bought DA: Origins on PS3--mostly because my old PC couldn't handle it--and I loved it, even if it looked awful and ran pitifully on that system.  In the last week ,I've probably played thru the DA II demo 9-10 times, going back and forth between my new PC (which runs it without a hitch on high settings) and PS3, because I like the way Bioware has tried to optimize that game for consoles (even if it becomes a bit button-mashy on easier difficulty settings).  I finally settled on the PC version, for most of the same reasons that others here have stated (I just hook the PC into the TV and use it like a high-end console).  For other multi-platform games, though, I tend to pick and choose depending on my own taste (I never even hesitated to buy Mass Effect 2 on 360, for instance, or Dead Space 2 on PS3, although the lack of DLC for PC really made my decision for me on that one).  

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By the_hiro_abides

My PC is connected to my TV so I play on whatever I'm interested in at the time.

picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By picklecannon

PC mostly, there's plenty of games to keep you busy nowadays and unless its a exclusive or will never come to PC, then it's not worth picking up for the console vs the PC. Also, i don't even buy 'new' games anymore. I have no problem waiting for the steam sale this Christmas or next Christmas to pick up my dragon age 2 or dead space 2. EA trying to sell me my computer game for $60 without all of the premium content on steam that other online retailers got, I'll just buy the GOTY edition with all of the DLC and content for 20 bucks.