• 70 results
supermariobrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supermariobrah

I just recently started playing Resident Evil 5 after a long hiatus when I played it about half way through almost a year ago.  I find myself determined to finish the game, but I also feel like I am forcing myself to do this rather than willingly going back into it.  It isn't that I don't like the game, I am a fan of the series overall and even though RE5 isn't really a horror game I do still enjoy it.  I just have this sort of empty feeling towards playing it, I sort of stopped during my first try with no real explanation.  I also have this problem with Bioshock and Fallout 3, I think both games are good but when I start them up again I end up putting them down before getting that far into them.  What games are you compelled to play and finish but feel you are doing it by force rather than by will?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

I've had this a lot lately, i've been renting, bargain hunting and borrowing the lesser titles i passed up. I'm at the point now where i'm actively hunting down garbage because i feel like i've played everything i want to. 

This led to me trying to force my way through harry potter and the deathly hallows at 2am a couple days ago. 

Fuck that. Games are meant to be fun, if you don't wanna play it, don't force it.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dungbootle

Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2. They are fine games, but I never have an urge to play them.

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By LittleBigJono

Fallout 3. There's just so much to do, gives me a headache, although I guess it doesn't count because I'm not eve compelled to play it anymore

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The one game in recent memory that I forced myself to finish was Devil May Cry. I did so so I could better compare it with Devil May Cry 3 and because I just don't like making it halfway through a game and deciding to not finish it. Maybe if I had more games to play I wouldn't have bothered, but I don't have a (big) backlog so I'll finish pretty much every game I start.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blu_Magic

Gah, I'm having this same issue with Red Dead Redemption. I've had it since day 1, but still haven't finished it. It's to the point where I can't finish any of the other games in my backlog because I feel guilty about not completing RDR. *sigh*

Pickingwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Pickingwings

The one game that made me feel like this was Resistance 2.  The campaign was so boring and dull with a story that didn't make sense, and the boss fights were very run of the mill that made it a lot less spectacle then it was hyped up to be.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Trebz

Well, right now I'm playing Drakengard. It's not especially terrible, but the gameplay is really monotonous and dull and there's obviously so many better games I have laying around that I could be playing, so I'm basically forcing myself to play for the plot, which I've read is bat-shit insane. 

I once tried playing through all of Final Fantasy in numerical order and that fell apart pretty quickly half-way through FFIV. Not that it's a bad game by any means, but that stuff isn't meant to be played back-to-back. And I'm pretty sure FFII isn't meant to be played at all.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnrealDP

Got a bad case of that with dragon age but it wears off over time (or atleast in my case) so hang on and keep pushing forward!

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Egg0

I had to force myself to sit down and just finish AC: Brotherhood. I just didn't want it to end.
bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigsmoke77

Any game where its on the hardest difficulty, I am playing mass effect 2 now. tried blops ......... its unplayable

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jtmosh
@Blu_Magic said:

" Gah, I'm having this same issue with Red Dead Redemption. I've had it since day 1, but still haven't finished it. It's to the point where I can't finish any of the other games in my backlog because I feel guilty about not completing RDR. *sigh* "

Was it the Mexico part that did it? That game grinds to a complete halt once you head down south.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I just tried to complete Frontlines there but....fuck it - Homefront will do.

minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By minorinya

I'm on my first complete playthrough of Dragon Age, though this is my fourth playthrough - I've never gotten past the Landsmeet due to real-life circumstances (and I have this problem with just picking up a save from a few months ago each time)... so... I'm sort of forcing myself to finish it once and for all.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SSully

I had to do it with red dead redemption. I was about 2 or 3 hours away from beating the game and I just stopped. This was in June I believe, then around october or novemeber I jumped back in and finished. It wasnt really forcing myself, more like taking a long break. I always have the problem with rockstar games, I play for hours when I first get the game, then I get burned out because of how big their games are. Red Dead I just got tired of the game, but I still had fun playing and I wanted to continue the story. With GTA 4 I got burned out and wanted nothing else to do with the game, I still never beat GTA 4 even though I only have about 5 hours left of the story, maybe less. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I just traded in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Darksiders. I will never ever finish those final bosses. I haven't been that pissed since GTA IV.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By benpack

I felt like I was forced to finish Bayonetta. The story, to me, was unbearable and none of the characters were likeable. This forced me to skip half of the cutscenes, and I had no motivation to finish it other than achievements, and that the gameplay was pretty good.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aus_azn
  • Fallout 3 (Not a fan of the slow questing)
  • Fallout New Vegas (A buggy and lousy version of Fallout 3. Peerpressured into buying, sold.)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops (Awful campaign. Peerpressured into buying, sold.)
  • Final Fantasy XIII (Missions suck, as does grinding)
  • Dragon Age Origins (Lost interest and got too difficult because I don't know how to play pause-and-play games well)
  • Borderlands (Long and boring to solo. Play with friends, haven't come close to finishing)
  • Left 4 Dead 2 (Awful campaigns compared to the first, spend more time on Versus than anything)
  • Gran Turismo 5 (24 hour endurance races. Come on)

With the exception of New Vegas and Black Ops, I classify all of these as good games. They just become a drag in the end.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm feeling that way about RDR right now.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah totally!  

I've been trying to finish Fallout 3 off and on since the day it came out.  

I've also been trying to beat Arkham Asylum, but I keep loading it up, then quitting everytime I remember what part I'm at. 

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By JCGamer

It's hard sometimes when all these new games are coming out and your in the middle of an "old" game.  I have no idea when the hell I'll ever finish Dragon Quest VII, when Portal 2, Infamous 2, Uncharted 3, Skyrim and others are coming out.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By tourgen

I usually give a game a fair chance to impress me.  after that if I'm not having fun it gets sold.  Games are for relaxing and having fun.  If it's boring or a chore it gets kicked to the curb and I go find something better.

it's easy to finish the games that blow me away from start to finish: Bayonetta, Meatboy, Demon Souls, Infamous, Batman AA, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Portal, all of the Half Lifes

some games start slow, have weird controls, or have a sharp learning curve but turn out great fun later on: Fallout 3, Deadly Premonition, Dragon Age

.. then there have been a few crappy games I've finished out of pure spite.  won't list them, no sense in trolling ppl who enjoyed them...

Dahill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dahill

I, as many others have stated, got really burnt out on Red Dead Redemption. I had to set it down for a few months.  Same thing happened with GTA4, so maybe it's a Rockstar thing.    

I'm a total open-world Rockstar whore to the point where it's kinda sad, so I can't get enough of Red Dead and especially GTAIV. Can't wait for LA Noire. 

I tried getting back into Resident Evil4 after getting halfway through and it just wasn't happening. Guess I'm not a horror game fan. Interestingly, I haven't finished Twilight Princess, even though I had a decent amount of fun with that game.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AuthenticM

Red Dead Redemption. The gameplay was ok, but not enough to sustain all those hours of gameplay. I forced myself to finish it because it's the kind of game every self-respecting gamer needs to play. It's an "important" game.

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Just did it with Dead Space 2 *minor spoilers* 

Not in the good, i was so scared but ill go on anyway, the kind where the final boss is sort of broken unless you have the correct ammo. Seriously annoying. Just wanted to give up but i was so close to the end so I forced my way through it.  

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I usually don't do this. If I don't like a game, usually I just quit unless It's a game I know is shit and I'm playing for the lols. The only game I can think of that I forced myself to finish is Heavy Rain, because I wanted to see if it eventually started to make sense and/or not suck. Neither happened.

Dahill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dahill

I forced myself to finish it because it's the kind of game every self-respecting gamer needs to play. It's an "important" game.    

Word. For example, I'm not an FPS fan AT ALL WHATSOEVER but everyone has to play through Modern Warfare and Black Ops once. And I'm never going back. OH speaking of forcing myself to finish a game...
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By captain_clayman
@XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah totally!   I've been trying to finish Fallout 3 off and on since the day it came out.   I've also been trying to beat Arkham Asylum, but I keep loading it up, then quitting everytime I remember what part I'm at.  "

oh COME ON!!! batman is short, beat it in like a day and a half.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well, as of the last few days I've been playing Forza 3 more out of my lust for that last achievement that actual excitement to race. t's still a fun game though, so I don't know if that totally counts. I usually don't force games.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ
@captain_clayman said:
" @XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah totally!   I've been trying to finish Fallout 3 off and on since the day it came out.   I've also been trying to beat Arkham Asylum, but I keep loading it up, then quitting everytime I remember what part I'm at.  "

oh COME ON!!! batman is short, beat it in like a day and a half. "
I know, I know... I'm literally the worst. It's those bomb-rigged gargoyles. I'm no good at dealing with the armed thugs without them. I just haven't played a stealth game in sooo long. 
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By npeterson08

Still have Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts on hiatus... from over a year ago... Yeah, never finishing that game.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#32  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I have that sometimes. Which is why I have started using Backloggery. That way I don't feel I have to beat a game as fast, since I have a list of what I need to beat. So when I get the feeling that I have to push myself to get through a game, I just play something else. Then weeks, or even months later I can check my Backloggery to see what I need to play. Since I got so many unfinished games on there, there is always something for me to either start over on or finish.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Somewhat with Dead Space 2. Almost with Resident Evil 4, I then realized about almost half-way that I don't like the game and just stopped.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Skald
@nintendoeats said:
" I'm feeling that way about RDR right now. "
Same here. That game gets pretty dry.
wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By wormz

I've become a bargain gamer so I've done a bunch of this lately. Assassins Creed 2 was the last one. What a fucking joke. You're supposed to be a big mean assassin, but every enemy can run just as well on the rooftops and follow you everywhere. Except if you run on the open ground outside of town they lose you immediately. Combat is just random button mashing with the knife, everything else takes forever. Climbing is completely random with sudden jumps and drops so you just end up running on the ground. All assassiny parts of the game are fucked.

Avatar image for scottygrayskull
scottygrayskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scottygrayskull

Plenty! I almost forced myself to finish a no damage run of Mega Man 10. Got almost halfway through but thankfully quit before snapping my controller. 

... although right now I'm playing through Jet Set Radio (for a podcast) and since I'm supposed to finish it I might wind up losing it.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By willin

I had to drag myself through both Alan Wake and Alpha Protocol. Because of that Dark Void is at the 1 hour mark and I have no intention of ever finishing that game. Plus a million other games in a similar situation.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kjellm87

Can't really remember ever forcing my way through a game I didn't like.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By frankxiv

i can't do it. even if i'm enjoying the game sometimes i just stop and never finish it or plan to.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I drug myself through Brutal Legend (Ugh... glad that's over).

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wormz
@Dad_Is_A_Zombie: 

Oh shit I have to do that too. When the RTS parts started I just quit.
rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rosebud04

Alone in the Dark, i refused to let that game beat me.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By asurastrike

I played MGS1,2, and 3 within a week and when I got to the Big Boss battle at the end of MGS3 and died at the last second, I took a 3 month break before finishing it. I probably just burned myself out, it's a fantastic game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Original Assassin's Creed - bought the second game and knew I'd never touch the first again once I played the second. And I was right! 

Lately I've been trying to finish a lot more of the games I buy and there's been a few. Yoshi's Island DS, Goldeneye Rogue Agent (yeck), Halo, Kameo, GTA4, Comic Jumper, Splosion Man, Sonic 2, Monkey Island 2. Some of those were pretty good overall and if I were 12 years old again I probably would have taken my time and enjoyed them a bit more.

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KimParnage
@JTMosh said:
" @Blu_Magic said:

" Gah, I'm having this same issue with Red Dead Redemption. I've had it since day 1, but still haven't finished it. It's to the point where I can't finish any of the other games in my backlog because I feel guilty about not completing RDR. *sigh* "

Was it the Mexico part that did it? That game grinds to a complete halt once you head down south. "

I stopped playing after hitting mexico as well... Really want to finish it, but i know i'll never go back to it.. does it get better after Mexico though..?
Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vextroid

Later half of Army Of 2 40th day and God Of War 2. When I start a game I have to stay dedicated to it for story reasons. Im sort of breaking that habbit but since I had the GoWHD Collection I was getting sick of the game play mid way through GoW2. Just wanted that game to end.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Alpha Protocol. I was struggling to finish that game. Gameplay was bad, just janky and riddled with bugs. I just wanted to finish the story which was that game's only saving grace.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By shinluis

As a general rule if the game has a great story I'll try to play it despite of gameplay (Unless it's RPG cause I can't handle level grinding) 

But man I remember i set myself to see ENTER THE FREAKING MATRIX to the end. Quite the possibly the one I had to force myself the most to get to the ending. God. Damn. That was tough.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iam3green

i just finished forza 3. i enjoyed the game but i finally said i'm going to finish this game. it was good but felt that i had to beat it. there are a lot of games that i have to finish.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By 234r2we232

I continue to put Assassins Creed 2 into my Xbox 360, but I never have any fun with it :(