Friendship is Magic...Friendship is Fighting!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

No Caption Provided
I saw this over on Destructoid first, but I wanted to share it here.   Someone has decided to make a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fighting game.  The project is still early in development but it looks good.  According to the FAQ, there are a few interesting features to look forward to when it eventually arrives provided "the Man" doesn't send out a cease-and-desist for the project.  I've listed just a few salient points from the FAQ below.

From the FAQ

Q: How many modes will there be?
A: Story Mode and VS (Local/Online) at Live Release

Q: How many characters are there in the game?
A: We’ve planned for a 17 characters Roster, with the Mane6 playable at Live Release.

Q: Well, then. Will there be a custom-pony maker so we can add our own OCs?
A: Creating a viable custom character maker isn’t as easy as it sounds; It is NOT only creating a “blank” pony and tackling a custom pallete on top; It requires far more resources into developing and technical creation than we can invest on it, and the end result would be most likely unsatisfactory, both for the players and the Devs... Not to mention it’d push back our Live release to end of season 3, or so.

Q: When will this game be released?
A: Appropriating a Blizzard term: Soon. We don’t want to fall into Valve time, where saying “tomorrow”, actually means “somewhere between here and when next the planets align in the shape of Celestia”

Q: What OS will this game run in?
A: Windows is supported. Running the game in Mac through Boot camp might be doable, but it’s not officially supported, as it’s a case-by-case basis.

Q: Is it MUGEN?
A: Nope

Q: What Engine are you based on?
A: Fighter Maker 2002.

Q: Who’s making the Music, then?; Are you reusing music from the show?
A; Yes and no. The Music is inspired by the show. (Daniel Ingram’s music is awesome, after all!), but the tracks themselves are composed and arranged by our Awesome Music Department Duo, formed by:

Q: Will it [voice acting] be straight from the show, or will you be recording new stuff?
A: A small percentage might be from the show, but most of the content will be original.

Q: Who are you guys, anyways?
A: We’re the herdmind compoundknown as the DevTeam, nice to meet you!

Q: Ok, I’m sold. How much will this game cost me?

A: Oh boy. Well,  prepare your wallet, because this totally awesome game costs a grand total of $0.00, and it can be... wait... what?... yes, you heard right. Zero dollars and Zero Cents: That is to say. Abso-pony-lutely free.

Q: Will there be an open Alpha/Beta/Demo we can try out?
A: Nope. We’re working at full steam to have the live game release as soon as possible without stepping on the quality, though, so when you get the game on your hands, you’ll get the real deal!

No Caption Provided
Well, I'm am fully in support of this idea.  I've been fascinated by the "brony" movement and have been watching more and more of the show myself lately.  When I discovered that it was created by storyboard artist from The Powerpuff Girls, Lauren Faust (and wife to PPG creator Craig McCracken), I took a deeper look at the series.  I'm not sure if it's quite as rebellious as that show, but Friendship is Magic certainly has a unique charm to it that transcends its target audience. 
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I would not play this game, even if someone walked up to me, pointed a barrel of a gun at my head, and said:"Play My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic". I'd fucking take the bullet.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ShockD

Not really interested either.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

No blood?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noooooooooooooo!

Friendhsip Is Magic should be an RPG about being pretty ponies! STOP THE PONY ON PONY VIOLENCE!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't understand the Internet's current fascination with My Little Pony. Is it a real, serious television show that people have turned into a meme and spun-off a plethora of related "products", like this game or the Power parody?

If so, why?

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kjellm87

Ha ha ha, amazing. Move aside, Street Fighter.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

The cartoon world is really confusing. Why do people unironically like this show? What's so bad about Problem Solverz (other than the art style)? Why are there tons of Adventure Time gifs, but no Regular Show gifs?

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Terry_Bogard
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

@JoeyRavn said:

I don't understand the Internet's current fascination with My Little Pony. Is it a real, serious television show that people have turned into a meme and spun-off a plethora of related "products", like this game or the Power parody?

If so, why?

Exactly what I'm wondering, dude.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By buft

What.... no

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sparklykiss

@TeflonBilly said:

Noooooooooooooo!

Friendhsip Is Magic should be an RPG about being pretty ponies! STOP THE PONY ON PONY VIOLENCE!

Wouldn't it be better if it was more like Crystal's Pony Tale? That was my most played game on the Genesis.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Skald

@JoeyRavn said:

If so, why?

From what I can gather, it's both.

Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Paulrus

As a gamer, not too interested in it.
As a brony, I like how much it matches the animation and the aesthetic of the show, almost if it had involved the actual animators.... but I'm still not too interested in it.

But like they wrote on the Google Docs FAQ, on why they would make this, why the hell not?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By mfpantst

What if the game was friendship is fucking?

Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Paulrus
@PenguinDust said:

No Caption Provided
Well, I'm am fully in support of this idea.  I've been fascinated by the "brony" movement and have been watching more and more of the show myself lately.  When I discovered that it was created by storyboard artist from The Powerpuff Girls, Lauren Faust (and wife to PPG creator Craig McCracken), I took a deeper look at the series.  I'm not sure if it's quite as rebellious as that show, but Friendship is Magic certainly has a unique charm to it that transcends its target audience.
It's my fault, isn't it?
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh geez. I appreciate the effort, but WHY DOES THIS EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE? Irony only goes so far before it becomes laughably genuine. We should draft these guys into making the 3v3 KoF style Whiskey Media Fighting game that I made up in my head instead.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By MysteriousBob

I've never heard of this show. 

Still looks better than Skullgirls at least.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By soldierg654342

So is this the My Little Pony fad finally hitting critical mass? God I hope so. 

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Simulacrum

I'd play it.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Siphillis

And the pony fandom asserts its dominance over all other fandoms.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sooty

Them juggle mechanics, those ponies be stylin'

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By keris

Hell yeah!

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Siphillis
@JoeyRavn said:

@Video_Game_King said:
The cartoon world is really confusing. Why do people unironically like this show? What's so bad about Problem Solverz (other than the art style)? Why are there tons of Adventure Time gifs, but no Regular Show gifs?

If so, why?

Here's the short version, gentlemen: 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I used to be curious as to why so many people enjoyed this show (even made a thread about it), but now I've grown to detest it, mostly because of its fanbase. A fighting game is probably the genre that comes to mind last when I think of a video game starring MLP's characters.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By ArcBorealis

There some things on the internet I'll never get, even in an ironic sense. My Little Pony is one of those things.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Really what's the deal with these so called 'Bronies'? 
I haven't looked into it all but every time I visit the Escapist the forums on the side are lousy w/ the topics. 
Is it just some weird internet hipster thing where it's cool to like some dumbass show? Or the show actually like PPG/Dexter's Lab/I Am Weasel where an adult could enjoy it as well?

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kjellm87
@SteamPunkJin said:
Really what's the deal with these so called 'Bronies'?  I haven't looked into it all but every time I visit the Escapist the forums on the side are lousy w/ the topics.  Is it just some weird internet hipster thing where it's cool to like some dumbass show? Or the show actually like PPG/Dexter's Lab/I Am Weasel where an adult could enjoy it as well?
Actually the show is pretty clever and well made, made by Lauren Faust who made Powerpuff Girls  and Foster's home for imaginary friends.
It is also a meme gold-mine.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Kjellm87 said:

Yeah, that are funny only to "bronies".
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kjellm87
@FluxWaveZ said:

@Kjellm87 said:

Yeah, that are funny only to "bronies".
Kinda like we "duders" are going around on the forum saying "UH UH UH UH" I suppose.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By TehFlan

I... What?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Kjellm87 said: 
Kinda like we "duders" are going around on the forum saying "UH UH UH UH" I suppose.
I suppose.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I hope they come out with a proposed character list soon.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By psylah

I'm maining Gilda.

inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By inknail

I was wondering if this would show up here. For pre-alpha fan game footage, this looks really cool so far. I think some of the characters might be challenging to implement in a fighting game (I still can't imagine how Fluttershy's going to fight unless she uses traps/summons critters), but I'm interested to see how the final product turns out. I hope that it will still manage to be balanced, even after addition of the 11 extra characters. Then again, it seems likely that Celestia might be playable, in which case she'll probably be the Sentinel of the game. I suppose I should post a link here for further information on the project and team.

As for the off-topic pony discussion: MLP: FiM is simply a good show that has that nice ability to appeal to kids and adults equally with its characters and themes (the cutie mark system to me seemed particularly appealing to the high school to college age crowd, in dealing with finding one's talents). As far as new cartoons go, this is probably my favorite that I've seen recently. I'm not really sure how the fanbase became so huge other than that it probably attracted former MLP fans, fans of Lauren Faust's other works (Powerpuff Girls, Foster's home for Imaginary Friends, etc.), and a lot of people who probably came to the show out of curiosity and found something special. I'm not too fond of the way that ponies seem to end up being posted into places that they shouldn't, but I'm going to love the fandom either way for the awesome creative works that come out of it, like Fighting is Magic.  

ugh, too much writing
tl;dr: It's a great cartoon with a rather large fanbase. This fan-made fighter looks promising.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august

Very well done but will probably be shut down by The Man in less than a month.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I can't wait until this fad dies and hundreds of dudes are left trying to explain why they have pony tattoos to non existent girlfriends

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rattle618

This is incredible, and the music is spot-on.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

lol looks weird.

inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By inknail
@august said:

Very well done but will probably be shut down by The Man in less than a month.

I hope not. Technically speaking, Hasbro can call cease and desist at any time, even when it's a profit-free endeavor like this (see what happened to the Chrono Resurrection project), but Hasbro seems somewhat laissez faire when it comes to the extended fandom (even encouraging if anything). After all, a lot of the other non-profit projects having been ongoing for quite a while now. 
inknail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By inknail

Hate to double post and all that jazz, but figured that the new content might make a worthwhile thread bumper. Footage from the Fighting is Magic PreAlpha Livestream last week, hosted by the development team, just got uploaded to Youtube, and it looks like it's coming along beautifully. Skip to 2:11 of video one, or just start on video two to see the game in action. The talking is the development team discussing the game and attempting to address some of the questions in the chatfeed (which was moving way to fast really). The fact that the game is not even Beta yet and it looks this nice is pretty impressive and I for one eagerly await its release. Between this and Skullgirls, the next year looks pretty good for some more fun 2-D fighting games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR9qtgIi3Rw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfHY29eIUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_IHSg6-1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTKRRf85vZ4

Used URLs instead of imbed, just because I felt 4 videos might be a bit too busy.