Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Portal 1 vs. 2

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Portal 1 vs. 2 (517 votes)

Portal 43%
Portal 2 57%

Main thread here.

We've got few more preliminaries to go before we can get to the main event and this, for me, is the toughest head-to-head. I love both Portal and Portal 2 very dearly and would include both of them in bracket if I could. Portal was the dark horse of The Orange Box and instantly established itself as a classic with its mix of witty humour and inventive puzzles. Portal 2 proved a worthy follow-up to a game which didn't necessarily lend itself to a sequel by expanding the scope of Aperture and introducing new, hilarious characters to supplement GlaDOS. Get your votes in by 8am GMT/midnight PST when this poll closes.

• 
audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Portal 1 is a very important game. It is more deserving of a "game of the generation" award.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By benspyda

The first Portal was such a great surprise. Portal 2 was too much of a known quantity for me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

1. It just seemed like it had a bigger impact, the puzzles were interesting (especially those extra ones), and what it did with the narrative was just so striking.

2 was good, for sure. But I think too much of that game came down to hunting for the surface where you can shoot a portal. Parts of that game just dragged to me. But it was still super cool.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nothing beats the Originals.

Bioshock 1, Dead Space 1 and Portal 1.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think what Portal did was UNDENIABLE and it absolutely deserves advancing. However, Portal 2 in its own right was an amazing example of puzzle solving and storytelling together. I for one think it's a testament to the quality of Portal 2 that it can follow Portal and succeed as a sequel and on its own terms.

I went with Portal 2 simply because I think that game means a lot more to me compared to the original. At the time I really liked Portal but looking back and comparing that to other people's reactions at the time I don't think I loved it nearly as much as other people did. It's funny, I'm somehow on the other side of arguments I'm making concerning which games are more important/what they did. With that said though, I prefer just nailing an engrossing and hilarious story with more robust puzzle-solving than the austere but effective thing that Portal did. What can I say, I thought Portal 2 was more and better of a time than Portal was despite Portal's incredible impact at the time.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Canteu

1 is more important and a better experience. I voted 1.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

2 is a more fun game for sure, but I think portal 1 is a better game to win. Much more impactful.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By jkz

I thought Portal 1 was everything that game needed to be. 2 was really fun and clever with its puzzles and designs, and was consistently funny, but that didn't help it feeling almost unnecessary for me, if only because the first game achieved everything it needed to achieve in my eyes.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Portal. Portal is an amazing game that blew me away but the first time I ever played Portal is a gaming moment I'll never forget.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By turboman

Portal 2 outshines Portal 1 with the addition of the great co-op campaign.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm surprised that people like Portal 2 more than the original. It's no contest to me. Portal all the way.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I voted Portal 1 but realized later how much fun Portal 2's story and characters were. Love both those games.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By awesomeusername
No Caption Provided

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I struggled with this for a few minutes and ended up changing my list which can be found in another thread.

I was originally going to vote Portal because of its impact and how they managed to make every second of that game enjoyable, but ultimately I chose Portal 2 because it built upon the original and didn't sacrifice the pacing or the design. Portal had some memorable lines and a great, funny little story, but Portal 2 is possibly the funniest game this generation with some of the most quoteworthy lines this generation, if not ever.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Portal was a quaint concept I played once with friends and kind of enjoyed and it made The Orange Box not a complete waste of space. And it was sorta funny and subversive of expectations, I guess.

Portal 2 was a fully-realized, fleshed out, fun, nuanced game with great and memorable characters and devious puzzle designs and it actually made the Source engine look nice and not be nauseating for once.

Easy choice for me.

As @buneroid said, you freaking shoot a portal at the moon. THE MOON. No stinking "the cake is a lie" jokes can overcome that.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By guiseppe

I loved Portal from the second I started playing it. Portal 2 improved upon it in every way. Portal 2 wins.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portal 2 takes the cake, even if playing the first game out of the blue was a somewhat unique and great experience...but I can't remember anything about it anymore, except for the ending (and even that only distantly.)

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By civid

Saying Portal 2 is better than Portal 1 is like saying Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock 1 :P

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I much prefer Portal 2. The original Portal felt like a cool proof-of-concept to me, Portal 2 felt like the game Portal/its concept was destined to become. Just an incredible, amazingly designed, exceptionally written, beautiful, perfect game.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By LackingSaint

I like Portal, and I see why it might be considered a more "important" game, but Portal 2 is just superior in every aspect for me.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Portal 2. I loved schlepping potato GlaDOS around while Cave Johnson is threatening to burn your house down with lemons. Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Closing this slightly late but Portal 2 takes a comfortable 59% win with 448 votes cast.