Game of the Year 2017 Day Four: Debut, New Characters, Story, and Styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@jay_steiner said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@justincred1ble said:

Interesting they disqualified early access games, but PUBG (early access as of recording) was able to qualify multiple times. Odd double standard, especially since Fire Pro and PUBG went 1.0 around the same time.

I think they let it qualify, since it got an official release before the year's end. The early access rule seems to be on the outs from this point forward though.

I think it's a bit iffy tbh. The game came out of Early Access December 20th, No other game would have been considered for GotY awards because these podcasts have already been recorded. So the fact that it was in Early Access for awhile, actually helped it qualify.

True enough. I recall Far cry 3 came out around the same time in december and it got skipped over because no one was able to play it until after all the goty stuff. Then the next year it kinda got forgotten if I remember correctly. The case of Pubg is a strange one. But in the end, it came out this year, the majority of the staff were enamored with it and it being Goty (for giant bomb) feels right to me. I may not personally agree (I had a lot of fun with it, but it's nowhere on my top ten), but it's pretty clear cut regarding it's qualifications to me. I would have had an actual problem if it was still in early access until after the new year. And hey, at least we don't have to hear about it this time next year right?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@themanwithnoplan:

White folks acting like native americans?

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/z4kxk4/horizon-zero-dawn-writer-responds-to-criticism-of-native-american-appropriation

I don't buy into cultural appropriation as a problem. Just looking at the microcosm of music, most of what I love wouldn't exist if we accepted such rigid standards.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So what I'm getting here is: "My choice didn't win so now I'm mad!"

Opinions. Everyone has one, including Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So what I'm getting here is: "My choice didn't win so now I'm mad!"

Opinions. Everyone has one, including Giant Bomb.

I've actually seen a lot more people criticizing the way they came to their picks rather than the picks themselves. I haven't listened, so I can't say for sure. It sounds like the discussion was kind of a mess in spots. I really don't have a problem with their lists though. I may disagree with some of the choices, but I respect their right to choose them.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

So, unless I'm missing something, Night in the Woods is not a debut. I suppose no one who works for the site still remembers Lost Constellation or Longest Night? Or did I just not notice when they mention them and explain why they don't count?

This is a legit question, not a rhetorical jab - I watch a lot of these with only one ear while I'm doing something else, so I might have totally missed someone bringing it up.

Technically, that is correct. Those three games, Lost Constellation, Longest Night, Night in the Woods, are all part of this weird family. Plus the character Mae has appeared in all three of them, so Night in the Woods isn't even the first game featuring her.

Nobody mentioned those other two games. It's a weird situation since Lost Constellation and Longest Night were prequel games released for free/pay what you want to help promote Night in the Woods and to give the developers a short project to focus on and to practice shipping a product, while working on the much larger project. That said, technically Night in the Woods isn't a debut anymore, since their first (for reals) debut ended up being Lost Constellation.

s5n8k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#206  Edited By s5n8k3

To my favorite Beast in the East, Vinny:

-

I know you won't read this but what evs...

If P5's main character, you the protagonist, stops a sexual assault and everyone hates you,

Maybe it's because the victim of the incident does not confirm your story, maybe, it's because you accused a beloved politician by the majority of the public of such a heinous crime in the 1st place,

And considering that the opinion of the public doesn't change after exposed to the truth, maybe that says something about the society.

To Alex, my Bombastic Dave Grohl:

-

"...It is first of all necessary to procure a phantom, its spirit, a monstrous abstraction, an all-embracing something which is nothing, a mirage--and that phantom is the public.”-The Present Age by Søren Kierkegaard

The reason that the Mementos, also being the final dungeon, is shapeless, formless and generic is that it is a construct of the public:

"The public is a host, more numerous than all the peoples together, but it is a body which can never be reviewed, it cannot even be represented, because it is an abstraction."-same guy, same Essay

To my 1 & only Anime Ally, Ben:

-

I have no F'ing idea why he didn't recognize the main antagonist man! You have a point.

This is a stretch, but, could it be because the whole story is being recalled when your under a drug's influence?

To the rest of the crew:

Why does everyone hate Anime & everything Anime looking?!