Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By nintendoeats
@EvilTwin said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @FancySoapsMan: Again, will need more votes for Nier and SMT as they seems like somewhat niche games."
And Deadly Premonition isn't?  Doesn't that kind of make it seem like games you think should win awards are given some sort of preferential treatment on this list of yours? "
Nobody is perfect, try as I might some bias is going to make its way in. But again, what is the award that Nier gets? DP has potential for best narrative (not the top spot, but definite nomination potential), what does Nier do that makes it special?
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By nintendoeats
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @Bloodgraiv3: Vanquish sure, that game has alot of neat things about it. Castlevania...I just don't see it. What does it do that could legitimately get it on the list? I was really looking forward to that game, but it doesn't seem to have really done anything special. "
Its Castlevania dude, I think that name alone makes it matter. By that logic, why is Dead Rising Case Zero on that list?  "
I was thinking Best downloadable title. It wouldn't win, but it wouldn't be hard to justify nominating it.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By marrec
@nintendoeats said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @FancySoapsMan: Again, will need more votes for Nier and SMT as they seems like somewhat niche games."
And Deadly Premonition isn't?  Doesn't that kind of make it seem like games you think should win awards are given some sort of preferential treatment on this list of yours? "
Nobody is perfect, try as I might some bias is going to make its way in. But again, what is the award that Nier gets? DP has potential for best narrative (not the top spot, but definite nomination potential), what does Nier do that makes it special? "
Best Farming Minigame? *lols* 

Ya there was some bias in the original list, but you'd be hard pressed to come up with every significant game of 2010 in one go. Jolly good effort though.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By nintendoeats
@Shirogane: Yakuza and SMT added.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@nintendoeats: 

Alright, touche. 
I still think Castlevania belongs there too though =P
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By marrec

Demons Souls will probably be mentioned too, once people remember it. ;P 

Also Super Street Fighter 4.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By nintendoeats

" @nintendoeats said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @nintendoeats said:
Nobody is perfect, try as I might some bias is going to make its way in. But again, what is the award that Nier gets? DP has potential for best narrative (not the top spot, but definite nomination potential), what does Nier do that makes it special? "
Best Farming Minigame? *lols*  Ya there was some bias in the original list, but you'd be hard pressed to come up with every significant game of 2010 in one go. Jolly good effort though. "
Thats why I put the list up for the community. I want to see it grow into something definitive. But that still requires filters.

@xMP44x said:
" I approve 21. It might just be the best game I have bought this year. I love Mafia II. "

I was thinking best narrative again. Many of the games on this list are gunning for that category. If a lot of people think that it should go I'll ditch it.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Jeffsekai
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" am I retarded or did BFBC 2 not come out this year? "
You're retarded. "
So...im not retarded, it did come out this year. 

Seems like everyone literally forgot about that game.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By nintendoeats
@marrec said:
" Demons Souls will probably be mentioned too, once people remember it. ;P "
Best RPG? is anybody really going to call it best RPG? I don't think that there is a "most difficult game" category.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Jeffsekai:  You're right, I misread your post. Sorry 'bout that.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By nintendoeats

Since this thread is moving very quickly: I'm going to be gone for 15 minutes or so. Bicker POLITELY amongst ourselves I suppose.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By marrec
@nintendoeats said:

" @marrec said:

" Demons Souls will probably be mentioned too, once people remember it. ;P "
Best RPG? is anybody really going to call it best RPG? I don't think that there is a "most difficult game" category. "
Ya I think a lot of people will call it best RPG, or at least nominate it. There was stiff competition for Best-RPG this year but it should defiantly be nominated. 

In fact, it's in my top five PS3 games now that I think about it. 

Edit: But if no one else mentions it, then I am obviously crazy. ;P
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jeffsekai

Well then I nominate Battlefield Bad Company 2 for best FPS/Online Multiplayer

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By monetarydread
@nintendoeats: 
What is wrong with a best IOS category? My belief is that a game is a game. It doesn't matter what device it is on, or what genre it falls into, they are all games.  Then I thought this was a list of games that mattered. How many games have broken a million sales on that list? Not only did those three sell gangbusters, they also innovated the mobile space by offering titles that are as polished as anything, and have as many hours of content  as almost any games out there.
@marrec said:
" @MonetaryDread: I don't think the number of games sold speaks to any kind of weight when you are talking about IOS games, I might've bought Angry Birds an not even known it it's so inexpensive. 
You still thought is was worth spending your money on it. Even if it is only a dollar.
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Jayross
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By marrec
@MonetaryDread said:

" @nintendoeats: 
What is wrong with a best IOS category? My belief is that a game is a game. It doesn't matter what device it is on, or what genre it falls into, they are all games.  Then I thought this was a list of games that mattered. How many games have broken a million sales on that list? Not only did those three sell gangbusters, they also innovated the mobile space by offering titles that are as polished as anything, and have as many hours of content  as almost any games out there.
@marrec said:

" @MonetaryDread: I don't think the number of games sold speaks to any kind of weight when you are talking about IOS games, I might've bought Angry Birds an not even known it it's so inexpensive. 
You still thought is was worth spending your money on it. Even if it is only a dollar. "
I have, on and off, also thought that a McDouble is worth spending money on, but that doesn't mean it actually is. 

Don't get me wrong, Angry Birds et all is an addictive little time waster, but if we are letting those guys in, then I think we should also have 'Best Flash Game' Category ;P
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#67  Edited By Vinny_Says

Alright I'm gonna get shit for this, but Deadly premonition is not an important game. Unless you're talking about some weird category that you might make up, like best "hook to the face" or something.....

also I thought Minecraft is still in beta, and maybe add split/second to the list.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By Diamond

Final Fantasy 13 and Enslaved should probably be up there.  Enslaved isn't really one of the best but some of those other games aren't either.  Castlevania LoS should be up there too.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By monetarydread
@marrec: 
Again, whats wrong with flash games? I have spent sixty hours at least playing Gemcraft: Chapter 0 and a well designed Flash title is no different than a Xbox live game. The only difference between a flash game, an IOS game, and a 360 game is the medium and price. In the end they are all games. Some might be hardcore, some casual, some might be made by industry vets, some might be made by a fifth grader who downloaded a copy of Flash CS5 off of Isohunt.
If they are all games then the successful ones deserve to be recognised. If not then the title should be re-labelled as "Console Games that Mattered in 2010."
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Machinarium(though this may be a grey area. The game was released in 2010 in Australia)  should probably be up there, the game single-handedly got me interested in indie games.  

Also, if anybody could recommend me some awesome indie adventure games I'd really appreciate it!^^ 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By LiquidPrince

As great as they might be, I don't really think Deadly Premonition, Dead Rising, Alpha Protocol, Dark Void, Costume Quest, Mafia 2, Monday Night Combat, Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, and Fallout really belong on that list. Or they wouldn't be on my list. Maybe it would have been shorter if I just made a list of what I thought did make sense...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By nintendoeats
@blacklabeldomm: As previously discussed, its a best narrative contender.  Its certainly divisive,

I'm going to need more votes for split/second, its not an obvious choice...

@Diamond: Not sure how I missed FF XIII (maybe because I was trying to forget that JRPGs exist...though I actually thought that the 20-some hours that I played were ok...agh! digression), Enslaved could get best graphics (technical) or best story. I think, I haven't played it. This is the impression that I have.

Anyway, Bad Company 2, FFXIII and Demon's Souls added.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By gunslingerNZ

This list is way too long to be meaningful in any way.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Diamond
@nintendoeats:  Well if you add Enslaved you gotta add Castlevania Lords of Shadow.  Hell, LoS did nearly everything GoW did but better, IMO.

Oh, and I think Split/Second is crap.  Don't add it, heh.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By marrec
@MonetaryDread said:
" @marrec:  Again, whats wrong with flash games? I have spent sixty hours at least playing Gemcraft: Chapter 0 and a well designed Flash title is no different than a Xbox live game. The only difference between a flash game, an IOS game, and a 360 game is the medium and price. In the end they are all games. Some might be hardcore, some casual, some might be made by industry vets, some might be made by a fifth grader who downloaded a copy of Flash CS5 off of Isohunt. If they are all games then the successful ones deserve to be recognised. If not then the title should be re-labelled as "Console Games that Mattered in 2010." "
I totally agree with you, that's why I have no problem with a 'Best IOS Game' but I would also want a 'Best Flash Game' because Gemcraft: Chapter 0 was one of my top 10 games last year. Trouble is, Flash games get no love here or otherwise. 

I don't equate IOS with a portable game platform because I get so much play out of the PSP\DS, so I am totally biased... but you can't seriously consider any IOS game for Portable GOTY right?
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By nintendoeats
@LiquidPrince: I don't think that SMT or BFBC2 belongs on this list, but enough people think that they qualify for their respective categories that I added them. I can see the argument that Dark Void (for example) is not best action game of the year (cause it isn't) but its a name that would get dropped at some point during the discussion about who to nominate. This is really what we need to figure out: what games will realisticly be considered for nomination?

Conversely, Castlevania will likely not be crossing most people's minds when discussing best action game, because it failed to stand out.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Diamond
@nintendoeats said:
Conversely, Castlevania will likely not be crossing most people's minds when discussing best action game, because it failed to stand out.
Castlevania LoS stands out far better at every point than Dark Void...
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By nintendoeats
@gunslingerNZ: Go to the "games" tab, sort the list by release date, look at all of the games that were released this year. This list is meaningful.

@Diamond: But for what category? I need somebody to give me a category and some reasoning before I can justify adding LoS. I'm also not sure what the relationship between Enslaved and Castlevania is...
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By marrec
@nintendoeats: As a big fan of SMT: Strange Journey and can say that it doesn't belong on the list. WAY to niche, and, like I said, Etrian Odyssey III would be ahead of it anyway. 

But ya, BFBCII was significant enough to be considered Best FPS of 2010
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80  Edited By Jayross

Actually, this list is bullshit. Too objective for there to be any point to it. "Games that mattered"? really?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LiquidPrince

The only games released this year that have a legitimate chance of winning game of the year in my opinion are:

God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Mass Effect 2
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Final Fantasy XIII 

Maybe more but I can't remember what else of value came out this year.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Diamond
@nintendoeats:  Enslaved, God of War 3, Castlevania LoS are all 3rd person action adventure games where you use mostly melee attacks.  Is being arguably the highest quality entry to that genre in 2010 not enough?
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By marrec
@LiquidPrince: Super Mario Galaxy II belongs on anyone's list.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By nintendoeats
@Diamond:  I wasn't even considering that Enslaved might get best action game...I don't know, I'm REALLY iffy about this. Most people seemed underwhelmed by the combat in both of those games.
@LiquidPrince: It doesn't have to be GotY, just a specific category. I like your picks though (aside from FFXIII obviously).
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By nintendoeats
@Jayross said:
" Actually, this list is bullshit. Too objective for there to be any point to it. "Games that mattered"? really? "
I think that you mean "subjective." And yes, this is going to be subjective. But at least with community input it can become useful.

Anyway, I'm nixing Dark Void. I was iffy about it, and the comparison to LoS drives home to me that it shouldn't be there. Unless anyone disagrees.

@marrec: Ok, SMT is going back off the list. Me thinking it doesn't make sense is one thing, a fan is quite another.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By LiquidPrince
@marrec:  Not me. I'm not really a fan of any of the Mario games. Any bit of care I have for the games just comes from the tad bit of nostalgia I have from playing it as a kid with my cousins. Otherwise I find the games pretty boring.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By nintendoeats
@marrec said:
" @LiquidPrince: Super Mario Galaxy II belongs on anyone's list. "
Honestly, I just put it on for Best Wii Game and Best Platformer...neither of which are very exciting categories this year (they both have pretty much one great game and some other ok stuff).
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By marrec
@nintendoeats said:
" @marrec said:
Honestly, I just put it on for Best Wii Game and Best Platformer...neither of which are very exciting categories this year (they both have pretty much one great game and some other ok stuff). "
It's probably GOTY for me... what can I say, I'm a sucker for the Mario.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By nintendoeats
@marrec said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @marrec said:
Honestly, I just put it on for Best Wii Game and Best Platformer...neither of which are very exciting categories this year (they both have pretty much one great game and some other ok stuff). "
It's probably GOTY for me... what can I say, I'm a sucker for the Mario. "
Super Mario 64 is my favorite game ever...But I can't say that I relate. Hey, whatever gets you off.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#90  Edited By Hailinel
@nintendoeats said:
" @marrec said:
The Wii had a lot of great games this year, of various sorts.  Off the top of my head:

• Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Metroid:  Other M
  • No More Heroes 2
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
  • Trauma Team
  • Sin & Punishment:  Star Successor
  • GoldenEye 007

And this doesn't count games that haven't been released yet, like Epic Mickey, which looks genuinely promising.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By nintendoeats

Well, I need to go to bed now. Up early in the morning. I am very curious to see what this thread looks like when I get back. Rest assured, I will read all the comments and do my best to add and subtract to the list based on feedback.

And YES I am considering removing Deadly Premonition based on this feedback. But that doesn't mean that I will, because I still think that it tells an interesting story in an interesting way and would make a good nominee for best narrative.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By nintendoeats
@Hailinel: Oh hey, Goldeneye! I already hear one vote for Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom so I'll add that too. I cannot in good conscience add the others without more votes.

Now I really am going to bed.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By marrec
@Hailinel: Sonic Colors is apparently actually good too.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By monetarydread
@marrec: 
Mmmmm..... not this year with everything that has come out. Yet Angry birds is in my top 5 of the year.  Plus, i will admit that I might just be strange when it comes to games; this year I have had the most fun with Kinect Sports, and have put the most time into Solomons Boneyard for IOS.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#95  Edited By Hailinel
@nintendoeats said:
" @Hailinel: Oh hey, Goldeneye! I already hear one vote for Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom so I'll add that too. I cannot in good conscience add the others without more votes.  Now I really am going to bed. "
Cool, but you added TvC:  Cross Generation of Heroes, which was the Japan-exclusive/arcade version.  The international version is TvC:  Ultimate All Stars.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#96  Edited By Seedofpower

I put 217 hours into this.
I put 217 hours into this.
Safe to say this is the only game that mattered to me this year.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By marrec
@Seedofpower: Okay ya, that's in my top 10 of the year. 

It's way better than SCII... IMO of course.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By marrec

Demon's Souls was actually released in '09 in the US, but it is a 2010 release for Europe so it still counts... RIGHT?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Diamond

Link to the Past was released in Somalia this month.  Guess that about wraps it up for everything else.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#100  Edited By LordAndrew

Flash games are a no-go because they're not covered on this site. iOS games are though, and one of them ( Game Dev Story) even got a staff review. That game certainly does matter to people like us.