Games you regret buying....

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By iPhone_Tyler

(Not really a game but...) After years and years of friends badgering me to get one I finally picked up a 360 on Black Friday... Even with discounts I regret the purchase - it just collects dust.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By devilzrule27

Fairytale fights.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Turambar
@RHYMESCHEME23 said:

@Turambar: There's gotta be one game that you bought that you were slightly dissapointed with. Let's not play God mode here. :P

That I paid full price for?  Nope.  I've bought games at an extremely discounted price that I ended up not liking, but when I paid only a few dollars for it (like a lot of stuff from steam sales), there's no feelings of disappointment.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Ben_H

Battlefield 3. I should have known they would turn my favourite franchise into a crappy COD ripoff with only a small amount of the stuff that made the older games good. And I even broke my "Not Buying Anything From EA" rule that I had upheld for 1.5 years to play it. I played over 150 hours of BC2, and like 400+ hours of BF2. I played I believe it was 15 hours of BF3 before I fully gave up on it, and the last 5 hours I forced myself to play to give it a second chance. 

drGiggless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By drGiggless

I have not bought an EA game for nearly 3 years and there has not been a single game that has made me want to end the good fight. The aforementioned Madden 2010 was the last one I bought from them.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Undeadpool

Devil May Cry 2. Bought that STRAIGHT off the shelf. It was the first game that taught me "just because the first game's good, doesn't mean the sequel automatically is."

Darkness 2. I don't know why, but I REALLY latched onto this game after renting it and decided to keep it. Literally haven't touched it since.

Considered putting Shadows of the Damned on here, but even though I haven't gone back to it, I was still happy my money went to support it, so I can't really say I "regret" it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Milkman

Syndicate. The game was fine but I had this idea that I was going to get way into the multiplayer. Instead, I ended up beating the single player and never playing it again. 

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ares42

Way way back when I was a kid I remember buying some crappy viking game from a toy store that turned out to have a virus on the disc. Hard to beat that =/

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SuperWristBands

Probably Goldeneye Rouge Agent. It was a shitty game but it taught me a hard learned lesson. Don't buy a game because of it's name.

I haven't really had any major regrets with games since. I bought Kingdoms of Amalur which I ended up not liking a whole lot but I traded it in for $45 so it ended up being okay. Same thing with KoF XIII. Bought it only to realize I can't do combos for shit in that game. Traded it in for $45 as well.

Kowalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By Kowalo

Lost Magic

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jmfinamore

@S0ndor said:

Fuck Far Cry 2

Haha, I just bought Far Cry 2 on Steam because I thought some of the things I had heard about it sounded cool. This should be fun. Luckily I only spent like $2.

One game I kind of regret buying was Alpha Protocol. I love the idea of the game and it has some really cool parts, but I just can't really get over how awful it plays and looks.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By betterboulder

Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Make a game, barely 1 year later make an update with all the characters and modes the people wanted and no DLC upgrade for the early supporters at all. Now the game (special edition with steelbook case) is pretty much worthless.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@betterboulder said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Make a game, barely 1 year later make an update with all the characters and modes the people wanted and no DLC upgrade for the early supporters at all. Now the game (special edition with steelbook case) is pretty much worthless.

Unless you actually play the game.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I would have regretted Street Fighter X Tekken because it plays horribly on a serious level, unlike everyone else's negative opinion on the game. I freeloaded that game and am proud I didn't get it.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#65  Edited By Giantstalker

Dragon Age 2. Could not stand even the first two hours of that game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@S0ndor said:

Far Cry 2 was balls-out tedious. The respawning of the enemies at the checkpoints was literally the worst thing I have ever seen in a video game, ever. I say this because it was obviously a well produced game made by talented people with ample funding. Which is why it is such an utter embarrassment.

The people who enjoyed Far Cry 2 are the same people who would make for excellent gold farmers in China. Grind, grind, grind and repeat.

Fuck Far Cry 2

boom.
slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By slax

Probably my multiple Total War purchased, Empire and Shogun. I just don't think I was meant for those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Killzone 2. In spite of shielding myself from the overhyped Internet, I went in with decent expactations, and had them all shot down. Seizure-enducing menus and RPG-heavy bullshit ending boss fight aside, my game was bugged beyond redemption with sound dropping out, animation glitches and terrain fading away not far behind me - possibly to save processing power then again, but glimse behind you and the immersion broke just like that. Wish I had played the multiplayer, from what I've heard it may just had made me like the game a little more - and at least helped me to some manner of post-purchase rationalization.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#69  Edited By Mystyr_E

Brink: the lag, the parkour emphasis for what amounted to very little, the lag, the barely-there story, the texture pop-in, braindead AI, repetitive missions for both factions...oh and of course lag

Winter Voices: it's an indie game off Steam. Very neat battle system, visually great, beautiful music but some of the most pretentious writing I've ever seen. And there's like what, 6 episodes of the stupid thing?

Fighting games in general: now I have nothing against them. Absolutely adore Blazblue, love King of Fighters and enjoyed SFIV but without a fight stick and no desire to pay 150+ for one, I'm stuck with either a shitty d-pad (Xbox) or no friends to play with and just as bad a d-pad (PS3)

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By killacam

Final Fantasy XIII. I hope you're reading this, Squeenix.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Not only did I get suckered in to the collectors edition but Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 came out 9 months later. What a rip off.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Masha2932

LocoRoco Cocoreccho!- I thought I would be getting a Locoroco experience on the PS3 but all I got was a single large level with unwieldy controls and repetitive music. The game had none of the charm of the locoroco PSP games. It might be cheap but avoid at all costs.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Akyho

Two worlds. (Funfact: I was threatened with legal action for pirating it off of pirate bay. I baught it for 360 played 12 hours got fed up and traded it in. Only to get a legal document sent to me. Saying "pay £600 now or we will take you to court. We can prove by use of your IP you downloaded Top cows property "Two Worlds" illegally. " It never happend it was a big scam done by a legitimate and respected law firm. Needless to say I now boycott all games made from anyone involved with Two worlds. for the absolute stress and sickness they caused me for 8 months that year.)

Dragon age 2.

Far cry 2 (despite playing for 40 hours...just...checkpoints man...checkpoints!!! also silencer did nothing..and also this and that and this and that and this.....yeah.)

Orion: Dino Beat-down. (Granted I did not buy it, a friend did....except I still feel pain because of it.

Force unleashed 1 and 2.

With Force unleashed 1 I played the shit out of the demo. I got the game I played it and was enthralled with the story. Finished it six hours later...I enjoyed the story..except..I had no more reason to play...then i analyzed the game-play more and realized I realy realy didn't like it. I started again on a harder difficulty did fine. Until next day one hour till shops shut...I took the game put it in its box. Got on a bus and traded it it.

NEVER before have I ever done that. I was sold on all the DMM and Euphoria except it was minimal.

Unleashed 2 comes. I had a job. My friend convinced me it would be different this time. So I got excited I bought limited edition £50 a normal game is priced £40. I enjoyed the story last time. So i played it and was on the last level before going to sleep. Just came back from my job. I got up finished it and went...well that sucked fucking worse than I thought it could have. Story was abysmal and what the fuck was up with that ending?

So I guilted myself not to trade it in. Uk releases on Fridays. So I sat on it till Monday. Said to myself "Know what why break tradition?" traded it in , except they wanted it almost perfect. I was trying to keep the USB stick that came with it. So I got back on the bus and collected everything. So now its cost me £60 overall including bus fare. Got £25 back. £35 to rent it for three days.

Made me sick and still does. Never has a game disappointed so much.

@HarlequinRiot said:

One game I kind of regret buying was Alpha Protocol. I love the idea of the game and it has some really cool parts, but I just can't really get over how awful it plays and looks.

I absolutely love Alpha Protocol. I also fully understand anyones beef with it. That was mines at first however I stuck at it and started to understand. Its like an RPG. At first you are stupidly bad at everything. As in you can stab a fucking rat with a sword. Until half way you be competent unto super powerful. The dialogue choices and different things that can happen are worth it. It just need to click with you. If it dosnt then yeah...It dont see you playing it.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By therealnelsk

I literally spent money on Train Simulator 2012.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Mystyr_E said:

Fighting games in general: now I have nothing against them. Absolutely adore Blazblue, love King of Fighters and enjoyed SFIV but without a fight stick and no desire to pay 150+ for one, I'm stuck with either a shitty d-pad (Xbox) or no friends to play with and just as bad a d-pad (PS3)

Hori and MadCatz always have sales on their sticks. Unfortunately, there are no sticks from MadCatz on sale until next week for CEO2012. The Soulcalibur V sticks are being sold for about $99 during tournaments. Amazon currently have the SCV sticks (360 and PS3 versions) for the same price and free shipping included. I tried my friend's stick and felt really good. If you want to have the stick playable on both consoles, you have to buy an additional controller board (ChImpSMD) but the price is reasonable and installation is not bad at all. Hori might be a bit harder to dual mod so just check out MadCatz's sales next weekend (they should be posting it on @MadCatzInc twitter) since the guy who makes the ChImp also has a much easier install controller board (TE Kitty).

bjacks27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By bjacks27

I bought Rayman Origins for full price . ..I loved the game but it was down to $20 within 3 weeks of release . .Never felt so ripped off in my entire life. I haven't purchased a game any less than 5 weeks after launch since then (which admittedly was only 9 months ago)

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Azteck

People disliked Magicka? This is entirely new to me.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Not only did I get suckered in to the collectors edition but Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 came out 9 months later. What a rip off.

Well at least you got early practice to learn team matchups and practice touch of death combos against players before Ultimate right? RIGHT?!

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Rohok

My entire 360 collection. I've spent over 2000 dollars on console games and I'd much rather have put that money to PC games and a good PC. Considering I own 400 games for around the price of 1000 dollars and only like 20 or so games for the price of 1200 on the 360, I got ripped off pretty hard.

More specifically:

Black Ops

Future Soldier

Raccoon City

Saboteur

Halo 3 legendary edition-- would've liked the tin case better than the idiotic helmet.

Generally, any game I paid full price for makes me feel sad everytime I look at them. No video game is worth full price, no game.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Slurpelve

Halo ODST

LA Norie

Fable 3

Dragon age 2

maybe Battlefield 3 on the Xbox 360, knowing I have it on PC.

Im a bad person.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Draxyle

Every EA game in the last five years, and I didn't even buy DA2 or ME3.

Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV. The second one I should have known better, but I was a longtime fan of FFXI.

I have a bunch of Steam regrets, but I payed so little for them that they hardly count.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Akyho

@Azteck said:

People disliked Magicka? This is entirely new to me.

It had a very very very very very very very very broken launch and wasn't playable for 3 weeks.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ravenlight

This topic seems to come up every six months or so, and every time I'm reminded of the blight on humanity that is Homefront. Thanks for that, OP. Thanks for that, THQ.

@Cloudenvy said:

Hmm, the only two games that come to mind are Prototype and Magicka.

EDIT: Oh, and The Witcher.

Which Witcher are you referring to? The first or second one? (Pun partially intended)

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Ravenlight: The Witcher, as in The Witcher not the The Witcher 2!

Side-note: I got Homefront from my library and it wasn't even worth playing for free.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Lagaroth

Two World II, I got it for like 5 dollars on sale so not really a big deal.

Homefront.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SSValis

The Darkness, Darksiders, and Far Cry 2

Estiviro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Estiviro

Magicka - I couldn't get into it, I even played with friends and found it massively boring.

Left 4 Dead - I understand the hype about and see the fun, but every time I play it I just get bored within the first few minutes and don't understand why people like the repetitiveness.

CoD Black Ops - I played it a lot with my friends but I never got into it like I did Mw1 and 2.

Rage - Preordered it because it came out on my birthday and it looked awesome, but I found myself forcing myself to like it and eventually I gave up on it.

Hydrophobia - Followed their development and was strictly disappointed.

Gears of War - Couldn't get into the story and found the characters really boring, I tried the other two games with the same results but I borrowed those ones.

Overall I buy a lot of games and I don't finish all of them but I do enjoy quiet a few. I have a lot of disappointments but I either traded for those games, got them ridiculously cheap or borrowed them so it doesn't hurt me too much.

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By wicked_wumpus

I'd have to say Dante's Inferno because it was really just a God of War clone that was basically worse in every way. It tried to do over the top violence and put a heavy emphasis on shock value but it just failed.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By spiredcrescent

Back during the 64 era wrestling games got really good. With wrestlemania 2000 and wcw/nwo world tour. I had played that stuff and saw this new game WCW backstage assault. Pretty blue cartridge. But just a big pile of blue crap. Controls were horrible. Only thing i recall liking was that they finally had everyone's entrance music, which is funny considering you never actually fought in the ring

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#90  Edited By me3639

@Milkman: I will disagree. proabbly the best game i played so far this year and as mp is not my thing, i reached the max level for the first time EVER.

Also to those listing Two Worlds, i suggest you give TW 2 a try. It had some really good ideas and the game, plus mp was not that bad.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91  Edited By Milkman

@me3639 said:

@Milkman: I will disagree. proabbly the best game i played so far this year and as mp is not my thing, i reached the max level for the first time EVER.

It wasn't any fault of the game. I just never got around to/had the time to invest in the multiplayer. I'm sure it's great.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By MistaSparkle

@Kaiserreich: So glad I rented that shit. Almost bought it, but before making a decision my friend and I rented it for a weekend. God damn I fucking hated every minute of it.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#93  Edited By me3639

@Asrahn said:

Killzone 2. In spite of shielding myself from the overhyped Internet, I went in with decent expactations, and had them all shot down. Seizure-enducing menus and RPG-heavy bullshit ending boss fight aside, my game was bugged beyond redemption with sound dropping out, animation glitches and terrain fading away not far behind me - possibly to save processing power then again, but glimse behind you and the immersion broke just like that. Wish I had played the multiplayer, from what I've heard it may just had made me like the game a little more - and at least helped me to some manner of post-purchase rationalization.

I didnt play it unitl i think last year, and OMG that is still one of the best fps games i have ever played. The end boss however is still unbelievably friggin hard to the max and the mp, from a non mp player, is totally fun.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By 71Ranchero

I only regret purchasing MvsC3. In 20 something years of gaming, its the only game I have ever played that I hated enough to not be able to get any kind of enjoyment out of it at all.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TentPole

@Azteck: People dislike everything.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Azteck
@Akyho: That is very very very true. Still, it's hilarious if played with some friends.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ssj4raditz

Duke Nukem Forever. And I bought the Balls of Steel edition, too! Whee!!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Akyho

@Azteck said:

@Akyho: That is very very very true. Still, it's hilarious if played with some friends.

The chuckle from everyone when they get the "Gravity thou art a heartless bitch." achievement was worth it. More so when it came about from the ghost-busters "Don't cross streams " achievement as-well.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#99  Edited By Animasta

Binary Domain.

it's my favorite game this year, I love it to bits, but I really really shouldn't have spent the very little amount of money I had on it

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By gamefreak9

Dawn of War, Titan quest and maybe FF13. FF13 was fun and all but it didn't give me the experience I expected, I probably won't go back to it since the story and combat bore me, just for comparison, I probably finish FF9 once a year... why can't i get that kind of value from FF13?