Games you should have liked but didn't ?

• 142 results
Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mageman

By that I mean are there any games, that knowing yourself you should have enjoyed but didn't and don't really know why ? For me I could not get into Mass Effect, I acknowledge it as being a good game and would recommend others to play it, but for some reason I just didn't really get into it. If I dissect it's elements It should be one of my favourite games, it should have sucked me in, but it didn't, and I really can not say why.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Red Faction comes to mind, I loved Guerilla and I love the original Half-Life. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it that much.

That's only a recent example. I'm too lazy to think back further right now.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

All the Elder Scrolls games.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

Bastion. It's a good game, but I can't fucking stand anything from it.

Final Fantasy VII. I see where they wanted to take the series... I just didn't want them to do it.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2/Battlefield 3. Pew pew pew. That's it. That being said, I did enjoy the SP campaign in BC2. But I find the multiplayer revolting. And that's what Battlefield is all about, right?

Crysis. It's pretty, but, if you ask me, the gunplay feels terrible. The enemies are complete bullet sponges. I liked the sequel, though.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

Bioshock. I have stayed up late at night trying to figure out why I didn't like that game. I have spoken with industry professionals about the game and we've tried to hash it all out. I just can't enjoy it.

Then there is CoD4+. I just...I just don't think that they are fun games. There are some moments that I like and I can identify some really good process in their development but I just don't enjoy it at all.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By strainedeyes

Arkham City, I loved Asylum and people seem to really like City, but man I was just bored and uninterested the whole time.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Shaka999

CoD personally. I liked 4, but then it just grew stale. I dunno. I hate to give a generic answer, but when I think about it, that's really it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1

I know this is a weird choice but Marvel Pinball on PSN and I believe it is on XBLA as well. I love virtual pinball, I've put hours into Zen Pinball and love the tables, but with the Marvel tables nothing hooked me.

QuietAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By QuietAlien

GTA4. And the Gears of War series. Just never clicked with me.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clinkz

Mass Effect, Arkham City, Planescape Torment, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, GTA IV, Saints Row The Third.

Thats all i can think of.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By spazmaster666

Probably Nier. I love JRPGs but I dunno, I just couldn't get into that game. I'll probably still finish it at some point but man, I just have no enthusiasm about playing that game what so ever.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By JTB123

Dead Island, it had everything I usually like, but the game surrounding it was just bad.

@JoeyRavn said:

Crysis. It's pretty, but, if you ask me, the gunplay feels terrible. The enemies are complete bullet sponges. I liked the sequel, though.

So glad to see someone other than myself share this opinion. Sure did look nice though.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By upwarDBound

Saints Row 2. I loved the first game but I just couldn't really get into the second. This is kind of weird because just about everything is done better in the sequel. Better mission variety, zanier action, and more vehicles to name a few. What put me off the game was the tone. I didn't like my character being the boss of everything and just being a total jackass.

Though I have to admit, taking out Dane Vogel at the end was satisfying.

Despite this qualm I finished the game and still think it's good. I just didn't like it very much overall.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BaneFireLord

Based on the demo, Kingdoms of Amalur.  
Also, while I do, technically, like it, GTAIV is so much less than what I had hoped for.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty

GTA IV was a bad game. I loved Vice City and San Andreas.

I was very hyped for it and thought it would have the charm of the previous games, it was the only GTA game where I never felt compelled to just dick around in.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By C0V3RT

Bayonetta. I've gone back to that game three times after putting it down and just can't do it. Nothing about that game was fun for me.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shady

@JTB123 said:

Dead Island, it had everything I usually like, but the game surrounding it was just bad.

It wasn't just bad. It was shit.

spartan1017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By spartan1017

Bioshock - the movement and combat are simply not fun to me. This is a problem because it's what you spend most of your time doing.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - I hate the story, I hate Batman's character model, I don't hate but dislike the combat, I hate that version of Bane, I hate that version of Poison Ivy, and more than anything else, I hate the controller layout.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Catarrhal
Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Christoffer

I'm playing through the first Bioshock now to get the background story to Infinite. In every aspect, besides the plot, I hate it. Oh god let me finish this horrible game soon.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fini_fly

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I borrowed it from a friend and I just don't care to play it. I did the first 2 level and feel that being a Star Wars fan, I would enjoy it, but the controls and the cheap deaths make me not want to see it though.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Everything made by Criterion post Burnout 3. I love the ideas but I found Paradise to be frustrating and I didn't like the handling in Hot Pursuit at all.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kyreo

@nintendoeats said:

Bioshock. I have stayed up late at night trying to figure out why I didn't like that game. I have spoken with industry professionals about the game and we've tried to hash it all out. I just can't enjoy it.

Then there is CoD4+. I just...I just don't think that they are fun games. There are some moments that I like and I can identify some really good process in their development but I just don't enjoy it at all.

I also had a similar experience with Bioshock. Once A certain character dies and there is no more... monologues from said character I stopped the game immediately and have never touched it since.

Also, LA Noire... we all know how I feel about LA noire.

xp0svolc0mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xp0svolc0mx

@JoeyRavn said:

I completely agree with you on Crysis. I was stunned by the visuals and really looking forward to the experience... But as soon as I start shooting it just felt off and that really bugged me. The Sequel had much better gun play.

I'd have to say Rage was a pretty boring experience for me overall. I really enjoyed the combat at first but then it just got kind of numb. I breezed through it and was surprised by the total lack-luster ending sequence.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

@Kyreo: That we do. Regale us again, Kyreo, with your distaste for LA Noire.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McBEEF

Fallout 3 and the bioshock series, just didnt seem fun. Killzones characters also put me off that series, even though the gunplay and setting was pretty awesome

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kyreo

@nintendoeats said:

@Kyreo: That we do. Regale us again, Kyreo, with your distaste for LA Noire.

Oh ho ho! Distaste doesn't even cover it! That game is nothing but a fluffed up, celebrity filled, pixel hunting, OCD inducing, NOT NOIR ASS, piece of shit! God damn it! First of all, it is nowhere near what a noir is or should be. Not even what neo noir is. Secondly, it SHOULD have been an awesome crime thriller but instead provides an open world that is then empty and takes away the video gamey things of it like having a gun and then gives it back to you when you don';t even want it. "Hey I would really like to shoot this guy that is running away from me right now. He is a criminal and he is fleeing, actions are justified." "no, you cannot have a gun right now, but you will be able to light a few criminals with a flamethrower later. Sound good?"

FUCK!

It's also one big pixel hunt and chastises you when you don't find or do anything right. It could have been as moving and deep as Heavy rain with it's don't stop moving, never look back attitude toward character story. INSTEAD it shows you whenever you fuck up or flub a question AND lets you redo the missions piece by piece! This game could have been so much more than a video game and tried to convince the world it was, instead, it was just a BAD video game.

Fuck that game.

EDIT: I will probably write a far more serious examination of this game because I have genuine beef with the game and it's "noir"-ness.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@JoeyRavn said:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2/Battlefield 3. Pew pew pew. That's it. That being said, I did enjoy the SP campaign in BC2. But I find the multiplayer revolting. And that's what Battlefield is all about, right?

I agree with you on these picks. I love all the presentation in Bastion and the music but find the game just really boring. I liked the characters and SP in teh Battlefield BC games but hated the MP (but love all the original BF games and BF3).
as for Final fantasy, i never really like these kind of grind games so cant say anythign about it really. Crysis 2 looked nice but I had no fun at all playing it.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#29  Edited By Mystyr_E

@JoeyRavn said:

THANK YOU! God, feels like I'm the only one that can't stand that game.

And I'm going to say Half-Life 2. You're a complete non-character who is yet super important to the storyline, there's time-waster puzzles where you're running around putting heavy shit on planks of wood so you can get higher, the Water Hazard level is godawful and way too long and those damn vehicle sections. "Hey I know, let's make the player drive for 10 minutes, get out to turn off a switch, then drive some more then turn off a switch then have him drive some more and now he has to turn off TWO switches! AND we'll make all of this really long!" Best part about that game is the gravity gun, Dog and Alyx

Sorry to vent but I'm sure it was impressive 10 years ago and everyone orgasms over Half-Life 2 but I can't stand the fucking thing

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By razkazz

Sled Storm - A snowmobile racing game from the makers of SSX, my favorite sports game series. The tracks and style are similar, but the snowmobiles handle like tanks on ice making it extremely difficult and not fun. To top it all off, Matthew Lillard's radical commentary made me want to impale my brain with an icicle.

Jak II & III - I thought the first game was great, the sequels added crazy new features and a more mature story, but somehow the GTA style open-world structure made them boring to me.

Quake 4 - Big fan of the Quake series and Doom 3, just felt like something was missing here, kind of feels empty, I guess because it has no atmosphere at all.

Call Of Juarez 1 - I love Bound In Blood, played this one afterward and have not been able to get into it yet due to the clunkier gameplay and more than frequent load times.

Gears Of War 1 - I played it way too late and was disappointed to find it not much better than the games I'd been playing that had copied its gameplay. Like, Terminator: Salvation the game, which has been called a "poor Gears clone", has a much more fleshed out story, which is just sad because it hardly has a story itself. I didn't even know what planet I was on in the first game and the character's very specific banter made it feel like the whole story was an inside joke between them. I'm halfway through the 2nd one and finding it closer to what I expected from the original, but still not totally sold. And that sucks because I've loved Epic Games since the first Unreal.

Singularity - Bioshock & Wolfenstein '09 are two of my favorite games, combining their gameplay into an original new thing should've been right up my alley. But something about the gunplay being too good and the abilities being not good enough just made it feel unbalanced to me throughout the entire game. Also, implementing some BioShock mechanics in a linear setting, like the weapon upgrade stations just made them feel like they slowed the pacing to a halt and got in the way rather than being an awesome occurrence to get excited for.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BSw

Darksiders, unfortunately. I really like the setting, the characters, and the art, but every step of the way until the final 15% of the game felt so extremely linear. I didn't hate it, but I would have enjoyed it so much more if it wasn't so predictable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Fallout 3. Couldn't get motivated to do any side quests and found the main quest a bit bland.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By cosi83

Red Dead Redemption

I sure do likes me some Westerns but i disliked this dull game

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

saints row 3

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SmilingPig

Bastion: I can't stand the gameplay sry.

Civ 5: I loved 1 to 4 but 5 dose noting for me.

Batman Arkam city: I realy loved the previus one

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By VisariLoyalist

dues ex mostly. I played on hard up until the first boss and failed several times. I have not returned. *engage flamewar of "you suck at games" now*

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SSully

@Mystyr_E: You know, I might be one of the few people who loved the driving stuff. It was exciting for me because you would be driving in this very quiet and errie waste land and see a small group of houses ahead. It looks all quiet, and they all of a sudden you hear a combine drop ship coming and only have a little bit of time to figure out how to handle the situation. I think it builds up a ton of natural tension and is something few games do well.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Vanquish. I'm usually into these crazy Japanese games, and playing as a teched out space marine with a transforming gun, sliding across the environment with leg thrusters should have been fun. Especially since I had a lot of fun with Bayonetta. But Vanquish turned out to be very dull, repetitive and frustrating. 
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mandude

I suppose Icewind Dale...

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alexandruxx

LA Noire

Batman Arkham Asylum and City.

Saints Row The Third

EDIT:

If we also count older games, then:

Bioshock

Mirror's Edge

As for games that I liked a lot ( both well received and not) are:

Uncharted Series

Gears of War series

Metal Gear Series

Resident Evil series

Dirt series

Burnout Paradise

Trine 1&2

Most CoD games (with the exception of MW3, altho I am waiting for Black Ops 2)

Battlefield 2&3 and 2145

Shadows of the Damned

Fallout 3 and New Vegas

Siren Blood Curse

God Hand ( I know it's a PS2 game, but I loved it)

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pantzing_nome

@Christoffer said:

I'm playing through the first Bioshock now to get the background story to Infinite. In every aspect, besides the plot, I hate it. Oh god let me finish this horrible game soon.

You wont get a background story for infinite by playing the original bioshock, Infinite is set in 1912 well Bioshock is in 1960.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tmthomsen

@Alexandruxx said:

That makes absolutely no sense to me. What makes MW3 appealing to you if you dislike the previous games in the series?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I was excited to play Blazblue but never could get into it. I was unable to fully grasp the mechanics.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Mystyr_E: It's pretty frustrating, right? I acknowledge Bastion's strong aspects. The art style is great, the narrator is a neat idea, the music is amazing, the way the plot is presented is interested... but I still can't like it. I got tired of Rucks telling every fucking thing I do after 15 minutes. Yes, the Kid broke that barrel. I was there. I did that. Sure, you can turn it off, but you're also turning off every other voiced line in the game. I liked the voice acting, just not how much of it they force you to hear. As for gameplay, I don't even classify Bastion as an RPG. There's barely any character progression; rather, you're picking up "perks". CoD4 is not an RPG last time I checked.

But, hey, it is a good game. At least for those who can enjoy it. It's just not for me.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Christoffer

@pantzing_nome said:

@Christoffer said:

You wont get a background story for infinite by playing the original bioshock, Infinite is set in 1912 well Bioshock is in 1960.

Good to know. But I still wanted the surrounding athomsphere of the series wich I still don't know Infinite is able to provide. I still don't know if it's better to play the first bioshock or just read a wiki... I'm leaning towards the latter.

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By JuggertrainUK

@StarvingGamer said:

All the Elder Scrolls games.

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Alexandruxx

@TMThomsen: @TMThomsen said:

@Alexandruxx said:

That makes absolutely no sense to me. What makes MW3 appealing to you if you dislike the previous games in the series?

Read my post first, and then come with a reply.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By laserbolts

I would have to say the first resistance game. Its the first game i bought for my ps3 and i was hoping to get blown away by it but it ended up boring me to death. The enemies were dumb and generic the guns were boring to use and it didnt look good at all. Perhaps my expectation were too high with it being the first game i bought on new hardware but man that game was shit. I have zero interest in playing the other resistance games at this point.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EmuLeader

@Mystyr_E said:

@JoeyRavn said:

THANK YOU! God, feels like I'm the only one that can't stand that game.

Maybe you just didn't see them, but there have been many many threads saying this. It got to the point where the responses were filled with people saying to stop making those threads. People don't mind hearing the opinion, but the amount of threads that were created saying the same thing got annoying. Don't worry, you are not alone in your distaste.

Also, GTA IV never clicked with me. I have liked some open world games, but the whole series was never really my thing i guess.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cstrang

Vanquish is a big one.

RAGE, maybe?